Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was thinking about guilds in this game... Follow AC?!

I was thinking about what would make sense for guilds in this game in terms of the story universe and be slightly different than the usual. The first thing that popped into my head was Asheron's Call system with of course major tweaks.

For those of you who never played the game there were no guilds like you know them today. It was setup like a monarchy and branched down like a tree or pyramid. Example If I pledged allegiance to player Irenicus I would be known as his Vassel and he would be my Patron. If Irenicus pledges to player Keen and Keen pledged to no one then the Monarchy would be under Keen's name. If someone looked at my details it would read something like DrMccoy vassel to Irenicus, kingdom of Keen. If you id' Keen it would read Monarch Keen, 100 followers (example). Everyone can have 5 (or maybe was it 10 cant remember) vassels so thats how you grew your kingdom.(guild)

Now here is the great thing about the system. Vassels would give their patron a % bonus to their Xp. It was not xp removed from the vassel just a % bonus extra given to the patron. In turn the patron would give things to the vassel either their time (taking them hunting etc) or just giving them items etc. Depended on your relationship and what you wanted from the patron/monarchy. The best situation was always a Patron who had like 3-4 vassels and setup a group and all partied together. The interface would show your vassels and you would just see the xp rolling in for you as a patron. It was always nice if you were away for a few days and log in and see the message "Your vassel Romble has earned you 1003000 xp since you last logged in!"

Of course Keen would reap a ton of xp at the top because the xp filters to the top. Usually the leader would be the highest level just because maybe has has like 100 followers and generally people pledge allegiance to someone higher level. However there were cases where someone like Keen may only have Irenicus as a vassel and Irenicus has 10.. therefore Irenicus is also getting 99 of the followers XP pushed up through the chain as well which could push him passed Keen in levels.

A couple of other things i liked about the system. You could not get invites to be a vassel from just anywhere, you had to be next to the guy because you would actually do the bow to him haha in the pledge animation. But the nice thing about it was you had to get to know the guy and it built real friendships that usually formed just around random grouping(or helping retrieve a body) and got to know someone and became his vassel.

Of course this worked really well in AC because the level cap was like 150 lvls or something and took forever to get to max level(i played 2 years and got to lvl 80) so in the modern game i doubt xp bonus would be a huge deal but perhaps other bonus scheme can be thought of to reward the patrons/monarchs etc. I'll tell you what it did breed loyalty when you found a good patron and the opposite hurt feeling when someone left you over a squabble. I think it would fit in nicely with the whole Star wars apprentice thing and could be used as a nice twist. Of course I would add in a lot of the niceties that current guild systems have but this would be one main core piece. It would add for a lot of nice player bios and possibly player created stories/vendettas etc down the road.

Your thoughts?

--------------------
10 million people play WoW but I have yet to find one who admits liking it?!"

"Aion has the grind of EQ, the PvP of DAoC, and the smooth playability of WoW."

Comments