Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curt Schilling on Copernicus and launch projection

DavrynDavryn Member Posts: 39

I thought this was pretty interesting. Curt Schilling from 38 Studios challenged the facts in an article the company having trouble landing investors for Copernicus.

I have never, and will never say 'We want to compete with WoW', it's a stupid and unrealistic goal. What we want to do is create a unique gaming experience, in the MMO fantasy gaming space, that millions of people will want to play.

If we create that experience, it doesn't matter who's doing what.

Here's the source. He's talking quite a bit in the thread. He also said that the game will not launch in 2010.

Comments

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

is that the former red sox pitcher?

• DavrynDavryn Member Posts: 39

Yep, that's the one. He has his own development studio--39 Studios. Seems like a cool guy and a real gamer's gamer.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Yup

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

Don't know if you guys are familiar with 38 Studios, but it's Curt Schilling, Tod McFarlane (Spawn, McFarlane Toys) and R. A. Salvatore (who everyone should well know).

I, for one, am definitely interested in anything this group can come up with. 

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

had no idea. wish R.A. would do a forgotten realms MMO with these guys.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I hadn't heard of this Copernicus before, interesting.

As for a Forgotten Realms MMO, there are rumors that the next Neverwinter game will be an MMO.

Originally posted by Eben

Don't know if you guys are familiar with 38 Studios, but it's Curt Schilling, Tod McFarlane (Spawn, McFarlane Toys) and R. A. Salvatore (who everyone should well know).

I, for one, am definitely interested in anything this group can come up with. 

Same here. I refuse to get hyped up about another MMOG (always ends in tears), but this sounds like such a total can't-lose team, doesn't it? I'm going to be watching very carefully. The game sounds like it's a ways out yet, but even that sounds promising. If you check what Curt said in that thread on TTH he's saying that he doesn't want to get hype going and build expectations by revealing too much too soon. I wish more developers (*cough*funcom*cough* and *cough*Mythic*cough*) saw it that way. Gives me hope.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I've heard Curt speak at several events and he really understands MMOs both from a business perspective and as a player. His views seem very grounded in reality, so I'm looking forward to what this studio puts out as well.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

If I remember right, I think Curt Shilling was a big EQ player back-in-the-day...which gives me some hope about him.  If McFarlane was doing the art and directing the art style, with Salvatore doing the storyline/lore...like stated, I try to not get too hyped up, but it could be interesting whatever they come up with.

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

I've heard Curt speak at several events and he really understands MMOs both from a business perspective and as a player. His views seem very grounded in reality, so I'm looking forward to what this studio puts out as well.

Yea, Curt knows alot about MMOs. He has been playing them for years and it has always been his dream to make one.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

He was a big EQ player...a shame he never pitched for the Yankees...damn bloody ankle...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,931

Yeah yeah, thats great, you cant compete with WoW.

LETS SEE THE GAME

With Todd McFarlane on designs and RA Salvatore on story I cant wait to see it.

Want screen shots now!

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah yeah, thats great, you cant compete with WoW.
    LETS SEE THE GAME
    With Todd McFarlane on designs and RA Salvatore on story I cant wait to see it.
    Want screen shots now!

No screenshots, but this TenTonHammer article from teh 2008 ComicCon shows some concept art:

Linky...

~Ripper

Nice! Thanks for the concept art link.

There's a lot more conversation going on in this thread. Curt is talking up a storm. Someone said that  a MMOG would never be as dynamic as real life, and Curt said, "I beg to differ." [SOURCE]

Man, I really wonder what tricks they have up their sleeves. He's also working with Steve Danuser, Moorgard of old EverQuest and EQ2 fame.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

If I remember right, I think Curt Shilling was a big EQ player back-in-the-day...which gives me some hope about him.  If McFarlane was doing the art and directing the art style, with Salvatore doing the storyline/lore...like stated, I try to not get too hyped up, but it could be interesting whatever they come up with.

I played on the same server as Curt around the release of EQ.  He played a monk named Scythehand Razorfists. 

RA salvatore said he played also in an interview.  They both moved to wow for a few years and may still play.

Of all the games in development this one excites me the most, because it is being made by people who are passionate about making a game.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,817

There's already a long list of people who supposedly knew how to make great games but made the typical clones. It seems everyone is great until they actually release what they are making.

My expectations are that these guys will join this list, but I'll check them out when they have something to show.

Once upon a time....

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

Lets just hope its not another boring raid centric mmo.