Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Interiors For Your Starship: That Bothers Me

warrior41warrior41 Member Posts: 65

There absolutely and uneqovically won't be interiors for your starship. You won't even see the interiors of your ship during instanced missions. You will see ship interiors for missions but it will be another ship, not your own.

So while you have your starship for exploration and missions and combat you will never see your interior. You won't be able to walk around your bridge or visit your Holodeck or Captain's Quarters or the Ten-Forward or Sick Bay. You won't be able to invite anyone over inside your ship nor role-play inside your ship. Nada. You only see the exterior of your ship.

Cryptic definitely has not ruled out adding your ship interiors after launch, but they have not made a commitment to do it either.

This is the only thing bothering me about the game. I REALLY want ship interiors. It would make Star Trek Online much more of a role-playing online game in my view. It's one of the most important features and I am really disappointed that they will not be in the game. It would be a big relief though and give me greater hope about the long-term success of this game if Cryptic were to commit to adding ship interiors in the game sometime after launch. Hopefully around 6 months after launch.

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by warrior41

There absolutely and uneqovically won't be interiors for your starship. You won't even see the interiors of your ship during instanced missions. You will see ship interiors for missions but it will be another ship, not your own.
    So while you have your starship for exploration and missions and combat you will never see your interior. You won't be able to walk around your bridge or visit your Holodeck or Captain's Quarters or the Ten-Forward or Sick Bay. You won't be able to invite anyone over inside your ship nor role-play inside your ship. Nada. You only see the exterior of your ship.
    Cryptic definitely has not ruled out adding your ship interiors after launch, but they have not made a commitment to do it either.
    This is the only thing bothering me about the game. I REALLY want ship interiors. It would make Star Trek Online much more of a role-playing online game in my view. It's one of the most important features and I am really disappointed that they will not be in the game. It would be a big relief though and give me greater hope about the long-term success of this game if Cryptic were to commit to adding ship interiors in the game sometime after launch. Hopefully around 6 months after launch.

You're jumping the gun a little on that one Warrior as we just don't know that yet. Cryptic has said there will be plenty of interiors during missions... that's all they have said so they could be anywhere including your own ship. I'm very disappointed with their decision not to have open player ship interiors as well but have decided that until we have more information about what interiors they do have to give them the benefit of the doubt. They have stated repeatably that they plan to add them sometime post launch. I know that is not a commitment and we've heard this from game developers in the past but Cryptic does not seem to be your typical development studio. They have always been pretty open and honest about their games in the past and haven't really given us any reason not to trust them. My best suggestion to you is to wait and see what they have come up with as right now we just don't know.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Cryptic does not seem to be your typical development studio. They have always been pretty open and honest about their games in the past and haven't really given us any reason not to trust them.

YOU...

SHOULD NEVER...

EVER...

EVER

TRUST A GAME DEVELOPER!!!

NEVER!

They are theives and liars the whole lot of em.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I'm just the opposite, being able to walk around my ship, outside of the bridge, means nothing to me.

And having other players over on my ship, to ah... chat or whatever seem pointless too me.

The holodeck can just a menu choice for a quick instanced mission or PvP duel.

Bren right about jumping the gun tho.

There could be times that your ships gets boarded and you have repel the boarding party, or something like that.

Originally posted by Raltar

Cryptic does not seem to be your typical development studio. They have always been pretty open and honest about their games in the past and haven't really given us any reason not to trust them.

YOU...

SHOULD NEVER...

EVER...

EVER

NEVER!

Cryptic has never taken any of my money under the pretense of a lie... ever. Have they ever done that to you? They even gave free trials for CoH so people could try the game before you had to cough up one red cent of your money. As I said they do not seem to be your average game developers as they try to be as open and honest as possible about what information is already released. Also whenever there is a community uprising over something the community manager is always quick to respond as are some of the developers to put harmful rumors to bed before they get out of hand. I would put Cryptic far above other developers as far as community relations and consumer trust is concerned. They didn't have to say anything about player ship interiors until after release if they chose to. They didn't do that though did they? No, they were open and honest about it even though they knew there would be some backlash over the decision.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Geez, not this crap again.That horse has been beaten so bad that it's starting to stink. Get over it already.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

My rule of thumb is never buy a game (or any other Product for that matter) based upon what features you HOPE it might have in future..... buy it on the features it has at the time you plunk down your money.

IF/WHEN a developer adds the features to an MMO that will make it enjoyable to me they might get my money AT THAT POINT.  If not, then good luck to them. It's foolish to spend money on something that you can't enjoy when you purchase it.

IF they add ship interiors,  multi-crewed ships, the ability to play something other then the Captain....and something that actualy feels like 3D space combat.... I'll think about picking the game up at that point. It's not like they'd refuse to take my money 6-18 months after launch.

If they never do....it would be a wasted purchase for me, personaly, as I wouldn't enjoy the game.....I'm sure other people feel differently though.

YOU...
    SHOULD NEVER...
    EVER...
    EVER
    NEVER!

[Insert Cryptic fanboy speech here.]

Bren

I will admit that I liked CoX and the way that Cryptic ran it with only a few minor exceptions. They may be better than say... EA or Ubisoft.

BUT...

YOU...

SHOULD NEVER...

EVER...

EVER

NEVER!

They are theives and liars the whole lot of em. Life experience has tought me that this is ALWAYS true.

(Protip: Go to a private investigator someday and ask him to run a criminal background check on your favorite employee of your favorite game developer. I think you will be shocked by what you learn.)

• ggr017ggr017 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

My rule of thumb is never buy a game (or any other Product for that matter) based upon what features you HOPE it might have in future..... buy it on the features it has at the time you plunk down your money.

I just wanted to emphasize this point, many of my worst MMO gaming mistakes could have been avoided by simply adopting a similar attitude early on. I guess another way to put it is to take MMO’s at face value and consider anything even remotely in development with a grain of salt.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by ggr017

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

I just wanted to emphasize this point, many of my worst MMO gaming mistakes could have been avoided by simply adopting a similar attitude early on. I guess another way to put it is to take MMO’s at face value and consider anything even remotely in development with a grain of salt.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Geez, not this crap again.That horse has been beaten so bad that it's starting to stink. Get over it already.

the only thing i will say is that after seing some actual gameplay footage I'm not sure the lcars menu system works very well without a bridge view

YOU...
    SHOULD NEVER...
    EVER...
    EVER
    NEVER!

[Insert Cryptic fanboy speech here.]

Bren

I will admit that I liked CoX and the way that Cryptic ran it with only a few minor exceptions. They may be better than say... EA or Ubisoft.

BUT...

YOU...

SHOULD NEVER...

EVER...

EVER

NEVER!

They are theives and liars the whole lot of em. Life experience has tought me that this is ALWAYS true.

(Protip: Go to a private investigator someday and ask him to run a criminal background check on your favorite employee of your favorite game developer. I think you will be shocked by what you learn.)

LOL... I'm a Cryptic fanboy now am I? No... I've had plenty of problems with some of the things they have done with this game. I had a major problem with the 'No Player Ship Interiors' announcement when it first came out. Ask Ktanner on that one if you don't believe me as we locked horns over this issue many times in the past. The difference is I spoke my piece on the issue and moved on. I got over it. They at least had the fuzzy warbles to come out and be honest about it even though they knew that it would piss a lot of people including me off. I didn't have to buy the game to find out. If anything their honesty over the issue earned a little more of my respect.

As for my favorite developer having a criminal record.... who gives a rats ass as long as they make a good game. I know I don't.

Edit: Oh and for the record I never bought CoH. I was in the closed and open beta phases and found the game to be extremely repetitive to the point of tedium. I did however respect them for trying something totally different than anything that had come before. The actual game mechanics were outstanding and very different than anything else on the market but sadly the mission system was the game's undoing for me at least. I still to this day give Cryptic high praise for CoH for originality even though I personally didn't care for the game.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I agree with the OP. Ship interiors is fundamental in Star Trek. Not having it is like having Star Wars without light sabres and blasters.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

My guess is that the more they take out the less games they sell and fewer subs after the 30 day they will have. There putting out trial baloons.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • jmd10222jmd10222 Member Posts: 427

You really just cant let this go can you?? Made a thread here not a few days after being Banned, AGAIN from the STO Forums for spamming new threads about this. Get over it already.

• Dani-ADDani-AD Member Posts: 23

I Havnt seen ONE space mmorpg where you can see the interior. It's obviously a luxury at the high end and it bothers me too :3 mew

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

YOU...

SHOULD NEVER...

EVER...

EVER

NEVER!

Cryptic has never taken any of my money under the pretense of a lie... ever. Have they ever done that to you? They even gave free trials for CoH so people could try the game before you had to cough up one red cent of your money. As I said they do not seem to be your average game developers as they try to be as open and honest as possible about what information is already released. Also whenever there is a community uprising over something the community manager is always quick to respond as are some of the developers to put harmful rumors to bed before they get out of hand. I would put Cryptic far above other developers as far as community relations and consumer trust is concerned. They didn't have to say anything about player ship interiors until after release if they chose to. They didn't do that though did they? No, they were open and honest about it even though they knew there would be some backlash over the decision.

Bren

They have been known to make a pretense of getting customer feedback about changes, such as ED and PvP systems and despite the very negative responses they did it anyway and people still dislike these systems to this day.  They lost a lot of subscriptions after these kinds of changes, never apologized for them, never reversed them and have shown aboslutely no desire to win those players back.

Cryptic and Jack Emmert in particular seem to take pride in being right even when they aren't and even at the expense of lost revenue.

Kind of reminds me of other self righteous and pig headed developers; Brad McQuaid, Raph Koster and John Smedley.  All of which have a rich history of being condescening and antagonistic towards their paying customer base.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• wb8594wb8594 Member UncommonPosts: 16

I really dont see how they can create very many realistic ship interiors......Star Trek ships are actually incredible huge inside with many levels and hundreds of crew members.  IMHO this would take way to much time for programmers to try and implement with the (dozens) of ship layouts that would have to be made...unless you just stuck with a dozen each of klingon and starfleet ships in service that a player would have to choose from. Maybe added a few shuttle (pods, ships) and some cargo transport and scientific vessels. Trying to implement most of the well known races ships would probably be to much of an undertaking. I am hoping Star Trek allows us to become traders of goods and services, resource gathering,  along with good crafting skills availiable in-game.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095
    Originally posted by wb8594

I really dont see how they can create very many realistic ship interiors......Star Trek ships are actually incredible huge inside with many levels and hundreds of crew members.  IMHO this would take way to much time for programmers to try and implement with the (dozens) of ship layouts that would have to be made...unless you just stuck with a dozen each of klingon and starfleet ships in service that a player would have to choose from. Maybe added a few shuttle (pods, ships) and some cargo transport and scientific vessels. Trying to implement most of the well known races ships would probably be to much of an undertaking. I am hoping Star Trek allows us to become traders of goods and services, resource gathering,  along with good crafting skills availiable in-game.

Why, it doesn't fit the IP, especially when you have replecating technology.  The Federation doesn't even have an economics system.  That was relegated to non-federation planets and species such as the Ferengi, Bejorans and Cardassians. 

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

Originally posted by Vrazule

Cryptic and Jack Emmert in particular seem to take pride in being right even when they aren't and even at the expense of lost revenue.
    Kind of reminds me of other self righteous and pig headed developers; Brad McQuaid, Raph Koster and John Smedley.  All of which have a rich history of being condescening and antagonistic towards their paying customer base.

Add Richard Garriot to that list as well. He was off screwing around in space while Tabula Rasa had one foot in the grave. Then when the second foot joined the first foot he quickly resigned and started planning a lawsuit aginst his own former employer.

Also, Sean "Ashen Temper" Dahlberg who is the former Community Relations Manager of Shadowbane, one of the worst, most unfinished and buggiest MMORPGs ever made. He was caught on more than one occasaion in obvious lies about the release date of the game and the quality of the development studio making it. He is now the relations manager for the upcoming Star Wars MMO (which is one of several reasons I won't touch that game with a ten foot pole).

Also, Yves Guillemot, head of Ubisoft, who recently blamed ALL of Ubisoft's lost revenue on game pirates. Nevermind his company was the producer of Shadowbane (which I already pointed out was one of the worst MMORPGs ever made) and that his company also made the major mistake of inculding SecuROM in several of its recent major releases.

And Bobby Kotick of Activision has mused about charging PC gamers more, basically just to see if he can get away with it.

And anyone who ever worked on the Dark and Light development team.

And god only knows how many more asshats of this industry I could continue to list off...

The bottom line? NEVER trust ANY game developer. They are all liars.

Sometimes I almost feel bad for the few game developers who haven't done anything wrong (yet) and are getting a bad repuataion from all of the stunts pulled by these other jerks. But then I remember all the times I've been cheated out of money by game developers and the feeling passes.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by wb8594

You don't have to have complete ship interiors but just having the bridge would be enough, imo. If this game is taking the same route as Eve where you see your ship from outside and dbl click the direction you want to go I think it will completely kill the immersion.

3rd person view is good for cinematic shots but for anything else a bridge view should be mandatory in a Star Trek game.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I kinda agree.

A bridge with a crew would be enough. The EVE approach is not approriate for a ST game.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

LOL... I'm a Cryptic fanboy now am I? No... I've had plenty of problems with some of the things they have done with this game. I had a major problem with the 'No Player Ship Interiors' announcement when it first came out. Ask Ktanner on that one if you don't believe me as we locked horns over this issue many times in the past. The difference is I spoke my piece on the issue and moved on. I got over it. They at least had the fuzzy warbles to come out and be honest about it even though they knew that it would piss a lot of people including me off. I didn't have to buy the game to find out. If anything their honesty over the issue earned a little more of my respect.

Bren

Yep, and I recall being called a fanboy myself even though I had disagreed with some of the decisions Cryptic made.Some people just can't handle the fact that there are those who don't see the world in the same way they do.

I don't see why this thread is even allowed to stay open because he has done many threads on the subject and some of them are still available. The decision has been made and if people don't like it they should move on. Just like I'll be doing if microtransactions becomes too important a part of the game. I won't throw a hissy fit and I won't troll everywhere making demands. I'll just exercise my right as a consumer and not buy the game. That's the best form of protest there is.

Originally posted by ktanner3

Bren

Yep, and I recall being called a fanboy myself even though I had disagreed with some of the decisions Cryptic made.Some people just can't handle the fact that there are those who don't see the world in the same way they do.

I don't see why this thread is even allowed to stay open because he has done many threads on the subject and some of them are still available. The decision has been made and if people don't like it they should move on. Just like I'll be doing if microtransactions becomes too important a part of the game. I won't throw a hissy fit and I won't troll everywhere making demands. I'll just exercise my right as a consumer and not buy the game. That's the best form of protest there is.

Yeah, I may have even called you a fanboy...LOL Sorry about that one.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

No worries ;)

I'm still waiting for a game where I can play as a Borg. There was a game that was supposed to come out in 2001 called Borg Assimilator where you would get to assimilate planets and people while helping to grow the collective. Unfortunetly, Activision pulled out . Starfleet Command 3 and both Armada games gave you Borg missions and that was the funnest part of both games for me.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Originally posted by Dani-AD

I Havnt seen ONE space mmorpg where you can see the interior. It's obviously a luxury at the high end and it bothers me too :3 mew

Star Wars Galaxies.

As for ships being too complicated. This was brought on by Cryptics approach. Many people didn't want the "everyone's a captain" system. People wanted to be Engineers or Science Officers.  The blueprints for these ships exsist on a multitude of websites. The Expansion for Elite Force  even had an entire explorable version of Voyager. But their biggest mistake which basically forces them to not be able to use ship interiors is planets. For whatever reason they added in planet surfaces which takes up space you could have used on ships.  I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch Star Trek, the majority of it seems to take part on the ship.

And it's not like people were unreasonable, more ideas then i can count were put forward on how to make feasible multipassanger ships with officers, but Cryptic didn't seem to care.