Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I know there have been many threads about anime before, but I just got done watching this series throughout this last week. It is the first series I have watched the whole way through, I bought the boxed set for 40 bucks at my local used CD store, and only had a couple skips. Anyway, my thoughts:

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

I honestly don't see what the big deal about this series is. The big draw was supposedly the underlying philosophical topics, but you get that in almost any series. The only heavy stuff I saw was the last 2 episodes, which were incredibly pointless. I understood it all, but it just was so not needed. I could some up that hour in one or 2 sentences: The world is what we perceive it to be, what we make it. We can't be anything but ourselves, and we have to make the most of that. So the philosophical undertones just seemed like a gimmick to me.

I did however enjoy the characters, I thought they were developed really well. I found Shinji and Asuka annoyingly whiney and egotistical, and Rei was too much of the cool and silent type. The characters just didn't mix at all, and I think that added to the human-ness of the series. It wasn't so much about the politics as the Gundam series as it was the characters and their emotions.

I did enjoy it, though I might have gone in expecting too much. I'm also not exactly sure I got the entire ending, since I watched it at 3 am last night, I don't know who died/lived, or where people went. I thoguht got a while that the whole series was Shinji's dream, when he woke up and Asuka was his sister and his mother was still alive, but then it went back to him in a blank room. I got confused. I watched the last 4 volumes last night, I just couldn't stop. It is an addictive series that you will want to finish.

SD's rating: 7.5/10

--------------------------------------
My Xanga Site!

--------------------------------------

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I have all those tapes...bought em back in the late 90's. I stopped when I got married and figured 30 bucks for 2 episodes were a tad too high lol

But good a dang good show!

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.