Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can only play as a padawan/apprentice Jedi

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

This is what I interpret when I hear that all classes are going to be equally balanced. If Bioware even tries to tell me through story that I'm a Jedi Master or something, but I'm equal to all other classes, I'm going to burst out laughing.

I guess I'm just going to have to take it that I will be playing a padawan with no chance of making Knight and beyond, no matter what they tell me. It would make more sense this way, because then, I could actually believe that other classes stand an equal chance against me.

Sure, I'll probably get Knight like powers while leveling, but as long as other classes get equally strong powers, it's spit in the face to the whole concept of Jedi. I will in no way, shape, or form, ever believe that pistol totin Joe Bob smuggler even stands a remote chance against even a Jedi Knight, let alone Master, no matter how much elite training or experience they have.

I think there are ways to implement alpha classes if they actually put some effort into balancing them out other ways, such as, long periods of half force power/health after death, or maybe each time you die you lose the ability to use a few powers for each death for a moderate amount of time.

BTW, before anyone comes in here saying "This isn't SWG!!!" I know that, but it is Star Wars.

To me, having anything but a padawan equal to other classes is the equivalent of taking a family size dook square on top of the Star Wars IP.

Comments

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

You're complaining that the game is aiming for the classes to be balanced?

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Well, not sure you spend a lot of time with expanded universe, but Jedi knights tend to die left and right. Heck even books their powers aren't universal. In some books Luke Skywalkers is equal to a god with clairvoyance and everything, but in some books he gets beaten up like a ragdoll by a bounty hunter.

In the time period of where ToR is situated you had lots more Jedis and Sith. Just like in KOTOR, some Siths weren't even force sensitive. There were huge difference on the level of force sensitiveness and also with the ability to use it. You have Jedi Knights or even Masters with very little combat ability, but who ended up being scholars or diplomats. Then you have your powerful Jedi Masters and Sith Lords, which were like 1 in a trillion.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by Odela

Yes. Yes he is.

And the way the game says, about it all being heroic...

The npcs you kill, are normal everyday joe bobs.  The PC BH you are facing, and you the jedi, are all epic in scope and power. Basically you are following in the footsteps of Revan, the Exile, Atton rand, Mandalore, etc.

Did you miss where Jango kills a jedi in what, 4 shots in the movie?  And a younger Obi Won fights to a draw with him later. And only one of the very greatest Jedis ever in Mace Windu can beat him, thanks to a little help?

But thank you for an informative post that in no way relates to how the game is going to be handled <3.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

In a sense, but more of that fact that they want me to believe I can play as a "powerful" Jedi which is a load of BS. Sure, powerful in PvE... but so is everyone else. I'm more complaining that the concept of Jedi is being raped.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,082

Jedi aren't all mighty and godly, they die all the time.

Originally posted by Swanea

Yes. Yes he is.

The npcs you kill, are normal everyday joe bobs.  The PC BH you are facing, and you the jedi, are all epic in scope and power. Basically you are following in the footsteps of Revan, the Exile, Atton rand, Mandalore, etc.

Did you miss where Jango kills a jedi in what, 4 shots in the movie?  And a younger Obi Won fights to a draw with him later. And only one of the very greatest Jedis ever in Mace Windu can beat him, thanks to a little help?

But thank you for an informative post that in no way relates to how the game is going to be handled <3.

Ya sure, a Jedi got killed in a few shots... Do we know if that Jedi was a Padawan, Knight, Master?

Btw, it would be much appreciated if snide blind fanboy remarks were left out.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Well, I don't see it being raped. Can you tell me where you base this idea that all Jedi Knights were immensly powerful?

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Originally posted by thexrated

Well, I don't see it being raped. Can you tell me where you base this idea that all Jedi Knights were immensly powerful?

I can't say everyone of them was immensly powerful, but I have more than enough reason to believe that they were not all equal to non-Jedi.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Valentina

Agree. Just like any other class the best survives and rest perish. If all Jedi's were God like, they wouldn't be so close to extinction. I find this topic to be really pointless.

Originally posted by Shastra

Agree. Just like any other class the best survives and rest perish. If all Jedi's were God like, they wouldn't be so close to extinction. I find this topic to be really pointless.

Of coarse powerful Jedi can be killed, but highly doubtful in a 1v1 situation against a non-Jedi. The fact that they were nearly wiped out is due to the fact that they had entire ARMIES after them.

Originally posted by jusomdude

Of coarse powerful Jedi can be killed, but highly doubtful in a 1v1 situation against a non-Jedi. The fact that they were nearly wiped out is due to the fact that they had entire ARMIES after them.

And Jedis according to you are so damn powerful and since they also had good numbers, they should be killing 1:10 ratio? moreover i doubt this game would have 1vs1 pvp. It will be more like AION pvp.

• NanachubNanachub Member Posts: 63

Yes. Yes he is.

Ya sure, a Jedi got killed in a few shots... Do we know if that Jedi was a Padawan, Knight, Master?

Btw, it would be much appreciated if snide blind fanboy remarks were left out.

The Jedi killed was Jedi Council member Coleman Trebor...... he was a Jedi Master.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coleman_Trebor

"Obi-Wan Kenobi: We were decieved by a lie; we all were. It appears that SOE is behind everything, including the NGE! After the death of CU, the NGE became their new apprentice."

• Originally posted by Swanea

Yes. Yes he is.

Boba Fett, THE Bounty Hunter To Rule Them All, got totally wtfpwnt by a blind man with a stick. And it could be argued that Boba actually completely sucked at apprehending his target because while he did track Solo to Bespin, ultimately it was Vader who captured him.

Obi Wan wasn't trying to kill Jango, he was trying to subdue him for questioning. It took Jango (and his clone son) using every trick in the book (including using his ships blasters) to get away.

Take away the cool armor, and Boba and Jango are nothing but sideshow characters. Nobody would care.

• macteNmacteN Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by jusomdude Ya sure, a Jedi got killed in a few shots... Do we know if that Jedi was a Padawan, Knight, Master? Btw, it would be much appreciated if snide blind fanboy remarks were left out.

It was Coleman Trebor, a jedi master and council member.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coleman_Trebor

And Jedis according to their creator are so damn powerful and since they also had good numbers, they should be killing 1:10 ratio? moreover i doubt this game would have 1vs1 pvp. It will be more like AION pvp.

Fixed.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

For the love of everything holy, it's jedi, not jedis.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Guess its going to boil down to how skilled a person is at playing the class. If they suck at playing , they deserve to be a mediocre jedi. Likewise with any other class, they need to make a name for themselves. People can't expect Bioware to just hand them fame and fortune.

I mean I get the point of most jedi are better than the average joe shmoe of w/e class, but everyone deserves the tools to achieve greatness with any class they choose.  Otherwise what would you have? Complete support roles of all the other classes?

• steakmccsteakmcc Member Posts: 3

solution: introduce ysalmari. they create bubbles where the Force is absent. 

Alright, so an elite as they come BH took out a Jedi master. So every BH in the game will be like the absolute elite BH?

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by musicmann

For the love of everything holy, it's jedi, not jedis.

^^ this so true..

So you are telling me that a Jedi should be on GOD MODE only because he is Jedi? the person who is Jedi, his own skill means nothing?

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786
    Originally posted by Nuke1125

Yes. Yes he is.

Boba Fett, THE Bounty Hunter To Rule Them All, got totally wtfpwnt by a blind man with a stick. And it could be argued that Boba actually completely sucked at apprehending his target because while he did track Solo to Bespin, ultimately it was Vader who captured him.

Obi Wan wasn't trying to kill Jango, he was trying to subdue him for questioning. It took Jango (and his clone son) using every trick in the book (including using his ships blasters) to get away.

Take away the cool armor, and Boba and Jango are nothing but sideshow characters. Nobody would care.

Posting on alt accounts to support your own senseless viewpoints is cheating. Don't do that.

Originally posted by Bama1267

Guess its going to boil down to how skilled a person is at playing the class. If they suck at playing , they deserve to be a mediocre jedi. Likewise with any other class, they need to make a name for themselves. People can't expect Bioware to just hand them fame and fortune.
     I mean I get the point of most jedi are better than the average joe shmoe of w/e class, but everyone deserves the tools to achieve greatness with any class they choose.  Otherwise what would you have? Complete support roles of all the other classes?

This is the best reply I've heard here. I would suppose it could depend on the player to become a Jedi Master instead of just having it given to them.

But really, if they want to stick to the concept of Jedi they should make them at least slightly more powerful than other classes.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by Bama1267

This is the best reply I've heard here. I would suppose it could depend on the player to become a Jedi Master instead of just having it given to them.

But really, if they want to stick to the concept of Jedi they should make them at least slightly more powerful than other classes.

slightly more powerful? really? thats the worst suggestion you can ever give.

• Of course there will be Jedi, even Masters and yes, for the game, they will be balanced against smugglers or any other class in the game. Sticking religously to lore is generally bad for game-play and I would rather play a balanced game thanks very much! I am sure that the 'hero' feeling will be there anywhere with it being Bioware (providing you are ok with thousands of others having the same 'hero story' as you :p