Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vet coming back. Whats it like now?

N64314N64314 Member Posts: 37

Hey guys, I've played EvE since 2004(off and on) and quit recenty right before the graphic update expansion came out(Trinity?). I was thinking about coming back and not going back to my main 50 mil SP toon devoted peerly to PvP and starting a new one. Dare I say he/she will be a *Gulp* INDY WHORE! Haha, I have just never epxerinced any indy aspects of eve and it would be nice to have some isk to spend =P.

I was just wondering what has changed since then? Please don't just point me to the patch notes because I probably wouldnt know what I am reading. I'm just wondering if there has been any major improvements to the game? Is indy/mining still boring as ever with the simple click on rock and haul ore? When I left I knew they were fooling around with they idea of finding "Hidden belts" and things of that nature. Did that actualy go into the works? What else is new with EvE?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

go read the patch notes, since trinity there have been some major changes. the exploration system, rigs and salvage, new ships, speed nerf, wormholes.

mining is still dull unless you have a lot of mates to talk to at the same time, but exploration is pretty win.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Mining is boring.

Industrial profession is not.

Not much changed regarding those two particular aspects of the game.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Wormholes and tech3 ships ( cruiser hull atm) added to game with new rat type ''Sleeper'' .Some change to explorations made sametime at wormholes.Tech3 components (only from Wormholes )and skills added to game of course

iirc Orca was added at november 2008 for miners it helps alot for hauling ores.Hidden belts ; yes there are hidden belts in exploration sites at reguler space ,you may find ore/gas cloud or encounter type exploration sites  .There were some ships came with trinity Marauders /black ops/HICs

Missiles /nanos/caldari EW nerfed    ,if you need more info for exploration look for guides i did not interested withit actually .

asking not to be pointed to the best source of information is a pretty silly thing to do.

http://www.eveonline.com/empyreanage/index.html

http://www.eveonline.com/features/quantumrise/

http://www.eveonline.com/apocrypha/index.html

Nobody gets very far in EVE unless they are willing to do the research. go read the patchnotes.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Essachan

Coming back to EVE is like coming back to any MMO. Pretty much all the core stuff is exactly the same, all the lame tutorials are still there, all the watering holes are still around, the quest-givers and NPC factions haven't particularly changed, and so forth.

You mean, except that some core stuff changed, the tutorials got revamped several times and there are new watering holes as the old ones got plugged?

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

Mining is still dull as ever, they did put in the hidden belts though :)

Womrholes have been added, which contain sleepers but are effectively 0.0 space. You must probe your way out if it happens the WH you entered collapse on you. Tech 3 Cruisers, actually, Strategic Cruisers, have been added also. Instead of fitting them you outfit them with subsystems that change the overall look of the ship. It's a pretty neat dynamic.

And yes, you can buy sell ANYTHING for cash in EVE now from third-party dealers. What a Navy Mega? It'll be anywhere from 32 - 76USD. A normal Mega? 10-20USD. Of course, this is illegal.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

Tears are as sweet as ever, if thats what you're asking.

• Originally posted by nickelpat

....they did put in the hidden belts though :)

How do those work? Coming back here also after a lengthy lay-off of playing...I have been playing the new expansion a bit, but with everyone chattering about wormholes, I must have missed this - how do I start to search for hidden belts? Hmm, some resrach on the EVE forums called for methinks....

• L0k1-L0k1- Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by Essachan

roffle. "Please don't point me to the patch notes" followed by "Go read the patch notes". :x
    Coming back to EVE is like coming back to any MMO. Pretty much all the core stuff is exactly the same, all the lame tutorials are still there, all the watering holes are still around, the quest-givers and NPC factions haven't particularly changed, and so forth.
    The graphics are a lot prettier (and slower), EVE now can be installed on Macs, and the servers have been improved a lot so that there's practically no lag at some times(!). There's definitely a lot of balance changes and a lot more little features and details to discover, too.
    However, it's not like EVE went and turned into a different game while you were gone. It still feels and plays as EVE-ish as ever, just that it's grown a few new limbs and capabilities since 2004.
    If that makes any sense at all.
    P.S. What that ISK seller posted is true, too. I don't remember if people were doing it five years ago, but nowadays you can buy or sell ANYTHING in EVE with real life cash. The game winds up getting treated as super-serious business by a lot of players because of it, which you may or may not enjoy.

To be honest i actually liked the new tutorial, i remember the tutorial from 2 years ago, god that one was awful....

Now you at least get some free frigates/weapons/items when you end the tutorial and stand a chance. Because i remember 2 years ago when i finished the tutorial i was still in that newbie ship and the first mission i got, i was completely trashed :p

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by L0k1-

To be honest i actually liked the new tutorial, i remember the tutorial from 2 years ago, god that one was awful....
    Now you at least get some free frigates/weapons/items when you end the tutorial and stand a chance. Because i remember 2 years ago when i finished the tutorial i was still in that newbie ship and the first mission i got, i was completely trashed :p

Yup. Saves a lot of cash too; the Salvaging skill is around 800k for sale as far as I've seen, but you get it for free after a few missions for the Business agent. Some other nice ship / skill / bpo rewards in the other tuts as well.

p.s. What's up with those copper Sansha tags selling for a million? Was a great surprise when I just started again after not playing EVE for years.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Why start a new character?  All that SP is bound to come in handy for -something-, and you can just as easily just train new skills and try a different direction with that character - and probably faster than starting a new character, as your current one likely has much better learning skills as well as some hefty implants, or at least a much easier way of earning money to fund your mining as you begin.

• N64314N64314 Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Sheista

Why start a new character?  All that SP is bound to come in handy for -something-, and you can just as easily just train new skills and try a different direction with that character - and probably faster than starting a new character, as your current one likely has much better learning skills as well as some hefty implants, or at least a much easier way of earning money to fund your mining as you begin.

The reason for starting a new character is because my main is a -10 pirate. So it would be pretty hard to get that down and I would probably just fall back into my regualr thing of rat and pvp. Besides i've made alot of enemies through out my time in EvE =P

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661
    Originally posted by CyanSword

Originally posted by nickelpat

....they did put in the hidden belts though :)

How do those work? Coming back here also after a lengthy lay-off of playing...I have been playing the new expansion a bit, but with everyone chattering about wormholes, I must have missed this - how do I start to search for hidden belts? Hmm, some resrach on the EVE forums called for methinks....

You use probes to find them, just as you do wormholes. This isn't my area of expertise though, I let corpmates do that. I just go pew pew everything with my Navythron :P

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• KriegKrieg Member Posts: 39

Don't throw away your SP. Just start small and come back, although I don't really have a concept of what it would take to come back from -10.

Surely outweights starting from ground zero in a game where you invest real time to skill up.

if its really that bad, why not reactivate your main, contract all your assets over and give all your cash to a new character?

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by N64314

Originally posted by Sheista

The reason for starting a new character is because my main is a -10 pirate. So it would be pretty hard to get that down and I would probably just fall back into my regualr thing of rat and pvp. Besides i've made alot of enemies through out my time in EvE =P

As far as I remember ratting pirates in 0.0 "heals" your ss pretty fast. A couple of weeks and you'll get close to zero or slightly below status. Yeah hunting in 0.0 is tricky but it helps to feel the game again. And it's much better than leveling a new toon for another half an year (or even longer)...