Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO

TraceGaleTraceGale Member Posts: 45

What does this game offer?

Whats your opinons and future predictions?

I read off the website the features but from a fans perspective what does it look like?

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think you are best of with dl'ing the .ppt presentation linked in this thread: www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/235266/HUGE-update-080509.html

It gives a wealth of info on what the game's concept is about and what the devs intend to implement; more than any short clips or a handfull of screenshots.

Basic keywords: Freedom, realism, player influence, full loot, unique bosses who die only once, player housing, pick pocketing, a variety of tradeskills, skill and not level based progression, Unreal engine.

edit: My hope is that MO will be able to shape it's own niche in the mmorpg community as a fantasy alternative to EVE. Star Vault is doing a great job so far, devs are nice and honest and do happen to communicate with the community. They've shown that they have quite some great ideas on game mechanics and gameplay.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I also heard they will not show HP, level and stats like in other games. So you know how much someones got left after they are dead :). And the players are doing the story, so its player driven I think DP said that though. Darkponys info was good, but just thought i add this.

• VadimRVadimR Member Posts: 35

I personally like the concept of MO. The concept is pure: there are no stupid constructs that stop the game from growing in ways that mimic, at least to a far greater extent than other games, the real world.

You can go off to some corner of the world and build a house and there will not be a big green dot on an in-game map showing everyone where you live. In fact there is no in-game map, and you can wander away from that house and get lost and not find it again! You can have the key to your house looted or pickpocketed, but how is that person going to know whose house it belongs to?

There are no universal auction houses or universal item banks – your gear needs to be moved on your back or in a wagon. Resources will need to be moved and towns will specialize in different crafts. There will be trade and that means there will be roles for players as merchants and even players hiring themselves out as caravan guards.

There are many other things I could go on about, but they all stem from a pure concept, undiluted by a lot of little things that are designed to make life easier for kids, and it is much better for that lack of compromise. Will it end up being as great as it might? I don’t know, but it’s off on the right track.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by TraceGale

I read off the website the features but from a fans perspective what does it look like?

Its impossible to say atm.    It appears the log in server is still screwed up and block A has turned out to be a failure.   However, the few vids that players have posted shows a nicely done world.  I haven't seen anything with combat or even more than 1 player on the screen so its hard to say how well the server works in that respect.  I don't think they expected to have this many problems right from the start, and the testing is already a week behind their timeline.  

IMHO, it would be best to just come out and tell the community that they have run into a lot more bugs than they had anticipated, and that players should not expect anything more than polished combat, crafting, and simple AI mobs at release.    

• UwayUway Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Originally posted by TraceGale

Its impossible to say atm.    It appears the log in server is still screwed up and block A has turned out to be a failure.   However, the few vids that players have posted shows a nicely done world.  I haven't seen anything with combat or even more than 1 player on the screen so its hard to say how well the server works in that respect.  I don't think they expected to have this many problems right from the start, and the testing is already a week behind their timeline.  

IMHO, it would be best to just come out and tell the community that they have run into a lot more bugs than they had anticipated, and that players should not expect anything more than polished combat, crafting, and simple AI mobs at release.    

Closed beta started a week ago and you have already jumped to this conclusion? One of the things that was suppose to be tested in Block A was the log in. I'm not saying your speculation is wrong by no means. I just found it interesting that just a log in problem led to your analysis, "that players should not expect anything more than polished combat, crafting, and simple AI mobs at release."

Quote from the store page:

The Beta is starting July 20 with the features from Combat Beta active, as well as a few new ones. The very first steps have to do with architecture, back-end and network-performance. To begin with, we are aiming to test:

MO Updater (auto-patching system)

Account System, Login, Logout

Character Creation (The “human family” only, like Tindremenes, Khurites etc, male and female)

General Network and Server stability and speed

Crowd congestion tests

Seamless World-streaming

Updated Prediction System

Sound

Client System Performance

This is not very fun from a gameplay-perspective, although crucial from a technical standpoint.

Also, here is some additonal information about the beta from the MO dev team:

This is not very fun from a gameplay-perspective, although crucial from a technical standpoint. To make you run around in the world and have some feeling of purpose in this crude beginning, we are also testing:

Attribute balancing, basic Skill gain (a few example skills)

Further real time PvP, Melee and Archery Combat testing and balancing

"Vendor-crafting" (you bring resources to a vendor, who then crafts stuff for you according to your instructions, like in Combat Beta). The Skills and GUI (Graphical User Interface) for the "real" crafting is still in development

Very basic resource-gathering (refining, prospecting etc will be in together with crafting later on, meaning at the moment you will get magically pre-refined resources when mining, etc)

Fundamental AI-behavior, a few creatures

World traversing, Swimming and Combat Swimming

Around 32km^2 of the Myrland continent

Basic banking (global at first, local if we manage to get it in before this weekend)

Local chat (no languages)

The Flagging System (complete with temporary insta-guards in guard zones)

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. These first important steps will be the foundation of the game, and updates will come quickly and at a regular basis once we are confident most of the above is working in the new massive environment.

Please also remember that both your possessions and your Characters can be wiped from the server at any moment, and that this may happen several times during the Beta.

You're in for a rough ride, but we are excited for those of you who want to embark on this journey with us!

Only time will tell if they will be able to launch with all the features they plan on having, a problem with logging in on the first week of BETA seems to be along the lines of what they were hoping to test in their very first few steps.

Rise above hate.

Ignore fan boys.