Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Afther months of doing research on upcomming mmos I have decided I will be playing Mortal Online

2»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by DarkPony

*drags in a body bag and drops it at OP's feet*
    www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/235266/HUGE-update-080509.html
    There!
    (In my humble opinion this .ppt presentation says more than any screenshot or beta video about what the devs are actually intending to accomplish with MO, it gives us insight in game mechanics and gameplay features and those are the things that make or break a game in my book)

edit: check the very specific flagging system here; www.mortalonline.com/files/flagging/MO_Flagging.pd
    Pretty good read as well.

Only took 7 posts before someone actually posted something useful for the OP. They really should have a warning for non responsive posts.

Anyway, my answers for the OP:

• Persistent world with no instances (to my knowledge)
    • FFA PvP but with a notoriety system so gankers will (allegadly) have a hard time
    • Exclusive 1st person view. Meaning no 3rd person view, at all.
    • Skill based system where using skill increases said skill rather than getting exp to raise it. I am not entirely sure if there will be no exp at all or there will be exp for some things.
    • Full loot. When you die you drop everything on you to be lootable by anyone.
    • Full frontal nudity, not verified but some official beta tester review said as much.
    • In early beta with estimated released Q4 2009.
    • Unreal 3 engine with all the bells and whistles
    • FPS type combat with blocking, parrying and such
    • Persistent PvE boss mobs. Meaning if you kill a boss dragon it will stay dead and not respawn.
    • Sophisticated crafting, whatever that means. I dont like crafting so I havent researched this much
    • One server at release with possibly more if there is demand and funds for it
    • Game was recently sold as pre-purchase with beta spot included for €70 for the boxed version and €100+ for a limited edition one. Currently the beta is at stage A (meaning first stage).

That's all I can think of right now.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Yamota

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/361/view/forums/thread/235266/HUGE-update-080509.html
    There!
    (In my humble opinion this .ppt presentation says more than any screenshot or beta video about what the devs are actually intending to accomplish with MO, it gives us insight in game mechanics and gameplay features and those are the things that make or break a game in my book)

edit: check the very specific flagging system here; www.mortalonline.com/files/flagging/MO_Flagging.pd

Only took 7 posts before someone actually posted something useful for the OP. They really should have a warning for non responsive posts.

• FFA PvP but with a notoriety system so gankers will have a hard time
    • Skill based system where using skill increases said skill rather than getting exp to raise it. I am not entirely sure if there will be no exp at all or there will be exp for some things.
    • Full frontal nudity, not verified but some official beta tester review said as much.
    • Persistent PvE boss mobs. Meaning if you kill a boss dragon it will stay dead and not respawn.
    • Sophisticated crafting, whatever that means. I dont like crafting so I havent researched this much
    • Game was recently sold as pre-purchase with beta spot included for €70 for the boxed version and €100+ for a limited edition one. Currently the beta is at stage A (meaning first stage).

Digital Download is on sale for €45 aswel.

Crafting System that includes 140million crafting combinations.

Player housing (basic at least thats what they are aiming at release), you can build anywhere you would logically be able to in RL.

Think thats all I have to add really.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by rav3n2

Dude what is wrong with you with your conspiracy theories about 3% of testers and sinister audiences and proxy attacks are you mental? No seriously are you?
    LOL jesus, obviously cannot make your point with rational arguments do you have to go into the paranormal, everyone here has been pretty civilized in discussing things with you but you seem to always take it a bit too far into your imagination.
     This is nothing against your opinion if you think its gonna fail its your right you made your point like 20 posts ago, you can let go the mental act now, jesus its like your stalking people, "Your a sinister ONE!! have fun in MO with proxy attacks!! *evil laugh*"

I agree. I had him blocked and missed that awful post until you quoted him. His pursue of anyone saying anything remotely positive about this game has become a little overzealous. For his own sake he should return to playing AOC (and upload another 30 screenshots) rather than waste his and our time trolling the competition.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

There!

• FFA PvP but with a notoriety system so gankers will (allegadly) have a hard time

I am sorry. But I have to laugh about that part.

How in earth is that ever going to work? As it won't be long till people start killing these boss mobs at an alarming rate.

And in such a rate, that they will have a very hard time in keeping up with putting new ones in the game constantly.

Or they just gonna respawn killed bosses with a random name generator? And then call it persistent.

Cheers

Originally posted by Guillermo197

How in earth is that ever going to work? As it won't be long till people start killing these boss mobs at an alarming rate.
    And in such a rate, that they will have a very hard time in keeping up with putting new ones in the game constantly.
    Or they just gonna respawn killed bosses with a random name generator? And then call it persistent.
    Cheers

They could easily script it in; Boss 1 on spawn A dies = Boss 2 on spawn B comes to life. They only need a long enough cycle to keep things original.

But what's more; They also spoke about the option of GM's actually controlling those bosses (if they have time for it). Now THAT would make for some exciting 'pve'!

"Ok gusy, stand over here where he won't agrooooaaaaAAAARGH ..."

Officially released alpha PVE footage: www.youtube.com/watch

Persistent PvE boss mobs. Meaning if you kill a boss dragon it will stay dead and not respawn.
    Sophisticated crafting, whatever that means. I dont like crafting so I havent researched this much
    One server at release with possibly more if there is demand and funds for it
    Game was recently sold as pre-purchase with beta spot included for €70 for the boxed version and €100+ for a limited edition one. Currently the beta is at stage A (meaning first stage).

Cheers

No idea but that is what the PP slide said. However if I would do something like that then I would make those mobs REALLY tough to both find and to kill so that it happens very rarely.

Say for example that you have to go to the bottom of a dungeon full of nasty mobs just to reach the mob and to kill it you need an army of people and even then the dragon could just fly away if there are too many people. So you have to balance numbers with the capability to kill said mob.

Think Balrog of Moria that was impervious to regular weapons and took an immensely powerful being such as Gandalf to kill. Translated into MO it could mean you have to have a legendary mage character, the most powerful mage on the server, to stand a chance of killing the said boss and those mages could literally take years to "level".

There!

Cheers

Well again I can only speculate as no one has ever experienced the system, but according to what I have managed to gather from forums and dev notes what they want to do is have bosses tied to religion, so your clan/guild/individual can be part of that religion and keeping bosses up will give you a certain bonus, so you can defend it from anyone trying to kill it, the other bit of information I have also managed to gather is , bosses will be extremely hard and there will be 2 types, ones that are just NPC's and ones that will be directly controlled by Deytes (GMs assuming the part of gods in certain events).

Now I think your main concerned is directed at lesses bosses, the bosses that are going to be with these features are not the "Goblin Leader" these will be just like your regular NPC respawn somewhere, drop some loot etc... The bosses that will be included in these features will be bigger and meaner things that can cause a bigger impact for everyone.

I remember a quote one of the devs said about the bosses which was , "you usually kill a boss hundreds of times and die a couple in MO you will die hundreds of times and kill the boss once" so that is really the sum of their idea about these persistant bosses.

Again im only relaying information as no one has seen this system in place or how it will actually pan out.

DarkPony the video you just posted is freaking amazing I love the minotaurs they look like they can hurt you very easily, brilliant persistant or not tbf.

PS. Nice sig haha made me laugh :P and Sorry for the double post.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Cheers

Well again I can only speculate as no one has ever experienced the system, but according to what I have managed to gather from forums and dev notes what they want to do is have bosses tied to religion, so your clan/guild/individual can be part of that religion and keeping bosses up will give you a certain bonus, so you can defend it from anyone trying to kill it, the other bit of information I have also managed to gather is , bosses will be extremely hard and there will be 2 types, ones that are just NPC's and ones that will be directly controlled by Deytes (GMs assuming the part of gods in certain events).

Now I think your main concerned is directed at lesses bosses, the bosses that are going to be with these features are not the "Goblin Leader" these will be just like your regular NPC respawn somewhere, drop some loot etc... The bosses that will be included in these features will be bigger and meaner things that can cause a bigger impact for everyone.

I remember a quote one of the devs said about the bosses which was , "you usually kill a boss hundreds of times and die a couple in MO you will die hundreds of times and kill the boss once" so that is really the sum of their idea about these persistant bosses.

Again im only relaying information as no one has seen this system in place or how it will actually pan out.

Well, I think the problem is and why I pointed this out, is that this game is going to attrack pretty much the hardcore side of the MMO community.

And those people won't stop till that boss is dead. And so I think it will be really hard for them to strike a balance between making a boss extremely tedious, unkillable and thus not fun and so frustrating people into quiting the game.

Or these bosses are going to be killed quicker then they imagined anyway. Underestimating current days players capabilities.

But nonetheless this is going to be interesting and we will see how this pans out.

Cheers

DarkPony the video you just posted is freaking amazing I love the minotaurs they look like they can hurt you very easily, brilliant persistant or not tbf.

PS. Nice sig haha made me laugh :P and Sorry for the double post.

Aye, I agree. The way that minotaur first slams that guy to the ground and finishes it off perfectly with a huge windmill of an axe swing only to come charging to the filming player right after is just friggin' scary!

Those mino's might not be bosses but they sure as hell don't look like trashmobs either :)

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

you must remember

every time you die, you leave your loot at the bosses feet. its not as simple as repairing your gear, your gear is gone.

so yeah, bosses will be rediculous, players will lose tons and tons of gear trying to take them down........ It will be awsome. Finally a challenge.

Cheers

Well, I think the problem is and why I pointed this out, is that this game is going to attrack pretty much the hardcore side of the MMO community.

And those people won't stop till that boss is dead. And so I think it will be really hard for them to strike a balance between making a boss extremely tedious, unkillable and thus not fun and so frustrating people into quiting the game.

Or these bosses are going to be killed quicker then they imagined anyway. Underestimating current days players capabilities.

But nonetheless this is going to be interesting and we will see how this pans out.

Cheers

Agreed I can see some flaws in it as well but there are solutions to it, one of the main things ofc is GMs are not gonna do shifts controlling a boss forever so Im guessing these sort of events will most likely be unique type of events, where a servant of <insert god name here> is attacking a village whose faith is with <insert other god name here> and that the GM is controlling one big badass monster that can be killed but is unlikely but there still might be other NPCs attacking which you can kill and still get rewards from, so while you havent actually killed the big one (this time!) you will still get something.

The event can possibly have a duration as well, and maybe NPCs can loot your stuff if they get close to your body and just take it away that would sort of prevent people from just staying there until its dead, again this are all just ideas I have, and  can be possibly completely far fetched.

Originally posted by steamtank

you must remember

every time you die, you leave your loot at the bosses feet. its not as simple as repairing your gear, your gear is gone.

so yeah, bosses will be rediculous, players will lose tons and tons of gear trying to take them down........ It will be awsome. Finally a challenge.

Oh, I'd love to be that scurvy dog waiting in the bushes to loot the corpses of those proud knights who failed their noble quest.

*grins wickedly*

Matter of fact; I won't be the only one. Though of course, a well organised guild / alliance, should take care of their perimeter defense to counter vultures like me. ;-)

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Its not such a crazy idea. The devs could introduce new bosses into the world as they get killed. They don't even need to be replaced right away or in same spot, making things more interesting for 'dragon slaying' parties. Think of it as an exercise of imagination from the design team :) 

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

you must remember

Oh, I'd love to be that scurvy dog waiting in the bushes to loot the corpses of those proud knights who failed their noble quest.

*grins wickedly*

Matter of fact; I won't be the only one. Though of course, a well organised guild / alliance, should take care of their perimeter defense to counter vultures like me. ;-)

That is actually an interesting concept right there, battlefield will be a good place for scavengers to get stuff for free in the middle of battles and sieges.

Cheers

Cheers

Well, again if I would do it, the purpose of those bosses would not be to be killed but rather something legendary and feared (like Ancalagon the Black from LoTR) and only the most powerful and dedicated would even stand a chance of killing one.

So people quitting because they cant kill it really should change their mindset. Not everything should be killable/raidable but some mobs should be a legend. Kinda like it is in many fantasy worlds. That "have to kill to get phat lewt" mentality I really hope is not dominant in Mortal Online as we have plently of games where such things is the main focus (*cough* WoW).

I hope the focus in Mortal Online will be PvP and politics with PvE ofcourse but not raids where devs put some "phat lewt" on an AI mob that gives you an upper hand in PvP. Rather upper hand in PvP should be gained from crafting items and resources for those items should be obtainable through PvP and not PvE. I really hope this will be the game there PvE is an aftertought instead of PvP which is the case in so many other games.

you must remember

*grins wickedly*

Actually this has some resemblance to RL, during medieval times, where there were people specialising in scavenging dead bodies after large battles. That is after the winners of the battle had taken what they needed.