Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I almost wish that Bioware...

thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

...was not making a Star Wars MMO, but a MMO with some other IP, perhaps even their own.

Much of the baggage that Lucas Arts and fans bring would be gone. And I have no doubt their own IP would not do equally well with added creative freedom. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

i agree to the extent that an exsiting lore is always limited by the fanboys and the rules already laid out. Id really prefer that they made a new sci fi ip (not mass effect) but i have faith this will turn out well.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

Eh, too big of a risk.  An IP people are familiar with has a higher chance of success than making something brand new.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

This is Biowares first time in MMO space.   If this game does amazing, you could easily see them creating their own new ip for an MMO.

Like blizzard and their unannounced MMO, which I know is going to be Harry Potter.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

They aren't just doing any Star Wars theme-- it's the KOTOR theme which they have already worked with to great success.

The thing with KOTOR is that it appealed both to the hardcore Star Wars fan, and to people who don't care much for it.

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Odela

Eh, too big of a risk.  An IP people are familiar with has a higher chance of success than making something brand new.

I don't know about that... Star Wars Galaxies, The Matrix, Warhammer Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings.... I don't know that I'd label any of them big successes. Not that they were epic failures mind you, but they do carry a certain amount of expectation baggage.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I agree, I'd rather see their own IP instead of Star Wars. But lets face the facts, the Star Wars IP and Bioware name are the only thing this game has going for it thus far.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• takayitakayi Member Posts: 158

Well, it surely would be nice to see e.g. BioWare's MMORPG about their fantasy world... (See NwN, Baldur's Gate & so on). Why then starwars? Because it follows the "theme" of KotOR, and if you see BioWare's own sites, you can see in the "upcoming games" -list, that they will be making a new gen. mmo at some point.

• whpshwhpsh Member Posts: 199

I'm hoping they're using this as a test project for their REAL mmo project:

Forgotten Realms Online

I still haven't figured out how noone has done this as an MMO. The biggest, most popular world in the biggest PnP RPG. 250+ books. Baldur's Gate (huge success), Neverwinter Nights (huge success) ... The fourth edition rules (as much as I hate them for tabletop) are, quite literally, THE mmo rules. All the monsters are already drawn ... stats and characters already there ... they'd have all the "creative" work done except for story creation.

• Arden0010Arden0010 World of Warcraft CorrespondentMember Posts: 18

Well, from a business point of view Star Wars is a good IP to take on because it has a lot of fans who will play anything to do with Star Wars to at least try it out. Also they worked on the Kotor series and I think they did a very good job with that game. I would also like to see an MMO that they make in the future with their own IP though such as Mass Effect which has great basis for an MMO scene in the same way star wars does.

There is a reason people from your past did not make it to your future.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

I think its because there's already too many fantasy mmo being release, and releasing another fantasy mmo will inevitable be compare to/ go against  WoW again.

So they go for sci-fic. Besides its 3000 years before the movies, plus hundreds of books, they can release quite a good chuck of expansions in between.... If the first game succeed that is...

RIP Orc Choppa

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Well fantasy vs. scifi is a whole different issue.

It is well-known that Lucas Arts keeps tight control over the content when it comes to Star Wars IP, I think Bioware would have had more creative freedom with their own or almost any other IP.

We also would not have this issue with SWG-vets, as they would be pestering some other title.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."