Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't Spam posts being removed?

Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

I've noticed that the Mods are either being overwhelmed with work or that spam/sales posts are staying up for a long period of time.

As an example we have this poster spamming the Aion forum with 31 sales pitches, and the posts seem to all be reported......but they've been up since 10:00 pm yesterday which makes it about 17 hours that they've remained on the site:

http://www.mmorpg.com/profile.cfm/username/shiqul

What gives?

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

I've noticed that the Mods are either being overwhelmed with work or that spam/sales posts are staying up for a long period of time.

As an example we have this poster spamming the Aion forum with 31 sales pitches, and the posts seem to all be reported......but they've been up since 10:00 pm yesterday which makes it about 17 hours that they've remained on the site:

What gives?

One problem is that the spammers/sellers have figured out a long time ago there's no staff on the weekends.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Hammertime1

What gives?

One problem is that the spammers/sellers have figured out a long time ago there's no staff on the weekends.

Truth.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Yeah the spam posts are getting really annoying. It's not just the obvious fact that they are selling gold but it's really screwing up the interesting topics that are getting a lot of replies normally. A lot of different topics are getting bumped up and such, really annoying.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

sigh i wore out my report key an the bot is still going now..  lol

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Anything I've reported in the last 4 -5 days have had very delayed responses if any.  I've been thinking my reports have been discounted within MMORPG.com. So I've decided to stop reporting anything for the next couple of weeks. I will sit back and see what happens when I don't report anything.

So if you see more random referral links, Aeria games, 2029, and ijji.com spam you now know why.

Oh, and Off Topic Forum is back on the Recent Forum Posts Listing. 

Well hell, now it's gone again.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

This guy right here >>>>  fanxiangni  <<<<< just keeps spamming gold selling website info all over the boards.  I have reported him to no avail.  He continues to just spam the boards non-stop.   :(   Where are the mods?

• XboxOmacXboxOmac Member Posts: 27

I would work as a mod for the weekends to just end this.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I just blocked him for now.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Xasapis

I just blocked him for now.

If you mean the one who keep spamming AION gold ads, he just make another account and spams again when they ban him. He's on like his 4th or 5th account now.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Time to add the CAPTCHA system to MMORPG.com perhaps?

I know that it will slow us, posting crazy people, down a bit... having to put in a CAPTCHA code with every post.

But seeing the rise of these VERY VERY annoying spam bots screwing up everything!

... then I am more then happy to spend a few extra seconds each post to fill in a CAPTCHA code.

It's a very effective system that has proven itself on numerous blogsites and community forums already.

I am actually suprised MMORPG.com hasn't implemented it already with their last site overhaul.

Cheers

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Yes, I blocked those too. Not very hard to do, the volume is coming from just a few sources so it can be contained, for now.

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

I know that it will slow us, posting crazy people, down a bit... having to put in a CAPTCHA code with every post.
    But seeing the rise of these VERY VERY annoying spam bots screwing up everything!
    ... then I am more then happy to spend a few extra seconds each post to fill in a CAPTCHA code.
    It's a very effective system that has proven itself on numerous blogsites and community forums already.
    I am actually suprised MMORPG.com hasn't implemented it already with their last site overhaul.
    Cheers

If filling in a captcha is how they go, I hope they use reCaptcha's as doing so helps helps digitize books which contain words that are difficult for scanners to read.  Essentially, for every nonsense word you have to type in, you also type in the correct spelling of a real word that a computer hasn't been able to digitize.

It's a very cool way to make what is a necessary evil (having to type in a captcha) into something useful (digitizing difficult to scan content).

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by MustaphaMond

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Cheers

If filling in a captcha is how they go, I hope they use reCaptcha's as doing so helps helps digitize books which contain words that are difficult for scanners to read.  Essentially, for every nonsense word you have to type in, you also type in the correct spelling of a real word that a computer hasn't been able to digitize.

It's a very cool way to make what is a necessary evil (having to type in a captcha) into something useful (digitizing difficult to scan content).

Yes that is exactly the one I meant. reCaptcha. I use it myself as well on my sites. And it is now very very popular on blogsites due to the excellent Wordpress plugin for it.

Cheers