Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Crossfire question!

Gamefreek333Gamefreek333 Member Posts: 166

Ok, so currently, I have an HIS HD 4850 IceQ4 Turbo graphics card. I wanted to know if it was possible to use a Sapphire HD 4870 card with Crossfire?

Also, Crossfire and CrossfireX are the same thing, right?

Thank you in advance! =D

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Probably not because they use different memory standards.  If they do crossfire then it will downclock to the worst attributes of both cards.

CrossfireX is a bit more advanced version of Crossfire.  Pretty sure you can only use CrossfireX in Vista because of things not present in XP.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

It should work, but it will underclock the 4870 in every way including memory speed to match the 4850 so it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another 4850 unless you want to have a 4870 on hand for later.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Gamefreek333

Ok, so currently, I have an HIS HD 4850 IceQ4 Turbo graphics card. I wanted to know if it was possible to use a Sapphire HD 4870 card with Crossfire?
    Also, Crossfire and CrossfireX are the same thing, right?
    Thank you in advance! =D

IF you have a PCI E 2.0 then this is possible (on most motherboards) HOWEVER the 4870 will drop to the "settings" of the 4850 thus being a wast of $$.  GEt a 4850, they are $80 bucks anyway lol