Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is everyone crying about Solo stuff.

aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I mean where has all this shit come from? other then left field...i mean wtf.

Comments

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Because the quest grind games have ruined the MMO community imo.... Quest grind MMOs are geared toward soloers.

Sooner or Later

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by aleos

At a complete guess, TOR.

Bioware have recently stated that they're not aiming the game towards hardcore players, but catering to a far more casual/solo crowd. This resulted in an outcry from the hardcore minorities like the raiding "elite"  and an ensuing backlash from the soloers who are annoyed that the raiders are attempting to subvert the nature of the first real solo-oriented game into yet another raiding loot-ladder.

Couple be completely wrong, but I've seen quite a few solo-vs-group discussions spring from it.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Because the hardcore have once again realized:   "OMG people are playing games for a difffernt reason than me.... again!?!?!"

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Bioware have recently stated that they're not aiming the game towards hardcore players, but catering to a far more casual/solo crowd. This resulted in an outcry from the hardcore minorities like the raiding "elite"  and an ensuing backlash from the soloers who are annoyed that the raiders are attempting to subvert the nature of the first real solo-oriented game into yet another raiding loot-ladder.

Couple be completely wrong, but I've seen quite a few solo-vs-group discussions spring from it.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to SWTOR. Besides being a fan of Bioware and the Knights of the Old Republic games, that is.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Cause soloers are sucking the "MMO" out of mmorpg's.

Seriously i play these games for the sole purpose of playing with others,

but when you start gearing mmo's towards the solo crowd, your left with another bland, uninteresting, trashy mmo (more like single player rpg) that belongs in a shitter hole.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I wanna have the choice in games to do solo content also. Since I dont wanna play with others 24/7. I like pvp and grouping also but not all the time. So I am not crying about solo stuff, I like that you have the choice.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

"Originally posted by Wolfenpride

but when you start gearing mmo's towards the solo crowd, your left with another bland, uninteresting, trashy mmo (more like single player rpg) that belongs in a shitter hole."

Can't really say this any better.

This is what daoc (and many other mmos) did well at its release you could solo , but it was by far better to group. I personally love the quest systems that have developed after daoc (wow, etc.), however, they are by no means better than GROUPING  up to grind out exp on mobs. the interaction between people is far better than easy solo quests.

So if i made a mmo you bet their be questing, and what not, but most of the mobs would be camps and you would get better exp and equal equipment from just grindign away at camps that require you to have at least 3-6 people to take, and you better believe group size would be 8-10.

An interestign thing was healers in daoc never just healed, they also cc'ed, or gave massive buffs that was REAL dps or tanking not a weak 1-5% but a nice 20-50% increase.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

A game with millions of soloers is still an MMO - there are, you will notice, massive amounts of players online.  Nothing whatsoever in the title says anything about grouping.  Group if you want to, and best of luck to you, but would you people PLEASE stop whining - it's getting embarrassing now.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

but when you start gearing mmo's towards the solo crowd, your left with another bland, uninteresting, trashy mmo (more like single player rpg) that belongs in a shitter hole.

You are playing with others. There are a few thousand people on each server and you're playing with all of them. That's what MMO stands for.

Moreover, if you think that "MMO" stands only for group play, you're the one who's sucking the "MMO" out of MMORPGs.

Personal opinion: It's not the soloers that suck the MMO out of the MMORPG; it's the raiders that suck out the RPG.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Could have something to do with how they finaly realized how much companies don't give a rat's ass about people that don't want to raid.

• Zandora2018Zandora2018 Member Posts: 240

I have been playing MMO's form EQ days. As i get older i have more things to do and less time to "Group" up in a MMO for hours to kill a boss. After having a child i find myself more and more into the solo game SO WHEN I HAVE TIME i'm still high lvl and can "Group" with others. GET OVER IT !!!. Not everyone lives with their parents and have no job ! (not aming at you but.....)

Played Aoc/DDO/FFXI/WAR / LoTRo / CO / Aion
    Playing Rift

Waiting for FFXIV to be the game it should. so sad =(

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by patrikd23

I wanna have the choice in games to do solo content also. Since I dont wanna play with others 24/7. I like pvp and grouping also but not all the time. So I am not crying about solo stuff, I like that you have the choice.

That's fine. But what if I want to group with someone and the only other players on my server that are my level are content to just solo away? Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Palebane

That's fine. But what if I want to group with someone and the only other players on my server that are my level are content to just solo away? Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.

At that point, you have to ask yourself: If I'm the only person who wants to group, why is my preference more important than that of every other player who doesn't?

In this situation, you can still solo yourself. It might not be entirely to your preference, but you can still play and have fun. That option would be removed if the situation were reversed.

• PinkerlPinkerl Member Posts: 123

remember lineage 2 back 5 years ago? 1 hour+ getting ready gathering enough people. boring and sleepy. standing still do nothing but chit chat till enough people.

im not into that stuff. i dont have patient.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I can't help but agree with the notion, even if it is somewhat inaccurate, that the pro-solo play MMO's are destroying the genre.

In general, I look at the lack of community in most of the modern day MMO's, and it just causes me to shake my head in disbelief. The last several MMO's I have played have had a very dismal, weak community (Age of Conan, Vanguard, Warhammer Online). Most people are so focused on just advancing their own character's gear that they forget that there are other people in the world to mingle with. When I played these games, the only reason people spoke was if 1) They were in the same area as me, and needed to team up to complete a quest, 2) If someone was lost/had a question on directions to a place/questgiver, or 3) If there was someone talking trash in the regional chat.

I personally attribute a lot of it to the fact that everything is solo-capable these days. Want raid-class gear? Solo/small group some tough mobs. Want exp? Turn in some delivery quests on your own for a large exp + item reward. Since grouping seems to be a strategy of the past, it seems people rarely opt for the partying experience these days.

Now maybe I'm just too old and crabby for the genre, but I enjoyed the days of sitting around in SWG at the camp sites while we all mended our injuries to the dancer, just interacting and socializing with other players in the world. I liked grouping in FFXI, where the same 6 of us would hack-and-slash at crabs for hours at a time, making fun of how the Clippers were far greater than the Snippers, or which Goblin was easy prey, and which one would whip your tail.

While I am not a person who loathes the idea of being able to get things done on your own... I have yet to see a game company succeed at doing it properly. Most MMO's are so simplistic these days... it's just a matter of slow-and-steady wins the race. I suppose you could classify me as a bit of a hardcore in my outlook on the way a game should be played, but that's not because I have a self-loathing complex or anything. It's more that, when I take a look at the MMO's that are coming out nowadays in comparison to the ones that came out back in the day... well, I will choose the older games any day of the year.

Honestly though, community is the most underrated aspect of every MMO on the market these days, and it's painful to see developer after developer overlook this critical factor time and time again.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you do post this?! Don't you realize that they were about to shut up about it?!! And then you come along and... and...

GAWD I hate you so fuckin' much right now!!!!

• edwilsedwils Member UncommonPosts: 3

as i said the last time this thread is becoming an exercise in futility.  so in the long run does anyone really care.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

It's due the the constant posts by hardcores about SWTOR and it's focus on casual play.  They can't stand it and are whining up a storm.  To make matters worse, they keep coming up with posts about the kind of raid content they want to see in the game and insisting that it be the most rewarding content, just like the rest of the crappy MMOs out there.

So, you could say there is a lot of resenment from casuals who see hardcores trying to sabotage (SWTOR)  our one real hope for a casual focused game.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

You must have missed every MMO released in the last 4 years. "First solo-oriented game". What a crock. Every damn game has been solo oriented for a while now, it's part of the reason the MMO genre is such a steaming pile at the moment.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

That's funny, it's the way casuals and soloers have felt for the last 10 years.  Doesn't feel very nice does it.  Lucky for you, there are plenty of group focused games out there, you don't need to play a solo / casual oriented game, now that IS choice.  Something the genre has denied us for a very long time.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

What it sounds like you are asking for is a mechanic that forces people to play with you. If they are soloing and having fun ding so, doesn't it seem a bit selfish to force them to be tethered to you so that YOU can have a 'choice?'

If you're goal is to socialize, then hunt along side them or chat with them. If your goal is to just meet a quota to be able to do a raid to get yourself an item, then I'm not sure what to suggest to you.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

What I can't for the life of me understand is why someone would want to pay monthly to play an MMORPG by themselves? The entire point is the MMO part, the massive, MULTI-PLAYER, online part. If you want to play solo, just stick with the RPG and save yourselves some money.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

You must have missed every MMO released in the last 4 years. "First solo-oriented game". What a crock. Every damn game has been solo oriented for a while now, it's part of the reason the MMO genre is such a steaming pile at the moment.

Where soloers are still second rate.  Who gives a crap if there is solo content if it reeks and is unrewarding.  The fact that hardcores like you view the genre as a train wreck makes me happy.  It must mean the genre is finally starting to head in the right direction by being games, not jobs.