Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny article about WoW.

heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

At least I thought that it was funny.

Clicky!

Comments

• samelizabethsamelizabeth Member Posts: 69

Beautiful, just beautiful.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

The humor in this seemed to me rather tedious.  It basicly based it's premise on the idea that anyone who plays WoW is an idiot and a jerk but did not bring anything new to the table to make it funny.  It is like a comedian telling a joke about a celebrity when that celebrity has been the butt of that and similar jokes for the last six months told by every late night show host and every comedian.  It is just tiresome and unfunny.

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

Any bets on whether Martie plays WoW?

or Torik?

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

50/50 chance of that. 7/10 for humor. C-

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I guess you can say that it was WoW bashing but it did have some funny moments. I happen to like WoW, although I don't play it anymore, and I found it to be funny and pretty much spot on about the people who play that game. And yes, you meet the same types of people in other MMOs as well.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Drmarvin

Any bets on whether Martie plays WoW?
    or Torik?

Humor is a very sujective thing so if you find this funny then it's up to you.

Personally I tend to get tired when the same joke gets done over and over again when the premise of it is exagarated and thin to begin with.  It's like a lot of the late night show monologues (Letterman, Leno, Conan, etc).  They have to fill in the time so they use a variation of a joke that has been done by every other host for weeks (often the same core joke they did the night before).  It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I start feeling sympathy for the targets of the jokes (even if they don't deserve sympathy).  It's no longer funny but merely mean.

We all know that there planty of jerk, incompetants and assorted human waste playing WoW.  This does not change the fact that a lot more decent, helpfull, competent people also play the game.  Lumping them all together is in poor taste to begin with.

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

I loled several times

this thread is funny in contrast to the one about dragon's lair =P

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

It's funny and true in some way.

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
  • BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

People are stupid, as a whole.

Probably a good 60% of people are stupid.

There are about 10 million players in World of Warcraft.

By using simple math, I could assume that 6 million of those players are stupid.

(By applying the same formula, you could excuse the whole "Huntard" argument that my class was sadly plagued with over the last five years or so)

Only when the amount of stupid players is large, do people notice.

I could say that American's are stupid, because hey, about 200,000,000 of you probably are. Don't worry, though, it's because a lot of humans are stupid, it's not like America did anything wrong, but they are humans.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Blazz

People are stupid, as a whole.
    Probably a good 60% of people are stupid.
    There are about 10 million players in World of Warcraft.
    By using simple math, I could assume that 6 million of those players are stupid.
    (By applying the same formula, you could excuse the whole "Huntard" argument that my class was sadly plagued with over the last five years or so)
    Only when the amount of stupid players is large, do people notice.
    I could say that American's are stupid, because hey, about 200,000,000 of you probably are. Don't worry, though, it's because a lot of humans are stupid, it's not like America did anything wrong, but they are humans.

Yes...pretty much this ^^^.

I've been gaming since the days of Atari and PONG and I've played more than my fair share of MMOs. While the "article" does have some funny points (the raiding part was comical to me personally), the fact of the matter is this:

The number of stupid people in the world population is huge. Let's give it a percentage. Let's say that 75 percent (I'm being generous) of human beings have no common sense and little in the way of intellectual prowess.  First of all, you need to determine how many certified intellectuals (I'm talking MENSA members at the very least here) actually choose MMOs as a hobby. (Hint: This number is going to be considerably lower than the number of people that choose other hobbies or even other game genres, such as RTS, if they choose gaming at all.) Many "intellectuals" find gaming a waste of time better spent on other more beneficial activities. So you've already here increased the chances of meeting less than intellectually savory characters in your chosen hobby.

Okay, now of those people only a million play Everquest, 500k play LotRO, 36 million play MapleStory, 11 million play WoW, etc., etc.  The more players a game has, the more likely it is that you will group with and/or raid with one or more complete non-functioning idiots.  The fact that WoW has a rather large player population, many of which have never played an MMO prior to WoW, certainly does nothing to increase your chances of avoiding morons. Have you ever played MapleStory? Yeah....enough said.

The article was somewhat "tired" in it's use of WoW as the butt of it's jokes, being that WoW haters worldwide have been doing this for years already, so the comedic merit of it is somewhat questionable to me, because it does sound like a bitter ex-WoW player taking desperate pot shots at a game.  After all....we're talking about games here, not rocket science. Do you really expect the geniuses of the world to be congregated in an online virtual world essentially throwing rocks at make believe monsters so they can get a make believe item to wear on their pretend character that makes it more "1337"?  Seriously.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• szsleepyszsleepy Member Posts: 24
    The article was somewhat "tired" in it's use of WoW as the butt of it's jokes, being that WoW haters worldwide have been doing this for years already, so the comedic merit of it is somewhat questionable to me, because it does sound like a bitter ex-WoW player taking desperate pot shots at a game.  After all....we're talking about games here, not rocket science. Do you really expect the geniuses of the world to be congregated in an online virtual world essentially throwing rocks at make believe monsters so they can get a make believe item to wear on their pretend character that makes it more "1337"?  Seriously.

No, obviously not.  But, there was a time when WoW was not the Walmart (with a McDonald's in it) of video games.  This was an era I like to refer to as "pre-BC".  Back when it was considered "uncool" to be playing a "pay-to-play" game.  Back when WoW was referred to as the "new crack".  

Raids back then were 40-man, and raiding guilds were always filled with elite players that were intelligent enough to work their way through places like Molten Core.  And back then, with a level 60 wearing UBRS dungeon sets, that was a REAL challenge.  Especially complicated intense fights like Major Domo Executus, or fights that required real cooperation and communication, like Sulfuron.

Beyond Molten Core, the challenges become more and more intense and exciting, into Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj, and 40-man Naxxramas.

Nowadays, World of Warcraft is little more than an upgraded version of Runescape.  When they finally pulled the plug on Runescape, the population and community there found a natural home in Warcraft. 

-.Sleepless.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I kept waiting to get to the funny part...then I read, "You did great!" Maybe there's a part 2 that's missing? If not I feel cheated out of 2 minutes of my life. Heck! I even like most of his articles in EGM, maybe he should stick to console game humor........

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Article reminds me alot of the Borat movie. It's better than Ali G in da House because it's self aware enough not to act superior (he is talking about WoW players while obviously being one at some point in time) and it's not shy about it's hipocacy, it's just a shame it lacks Brunos timing and sense of nuance.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

The chat windows are spot on.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

The best part about that link is the Super Mario Brothers MMO UI... the rest is garbage.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Maybe you wrote it and thats why you thought it was funny?

If it was making fun of wow and was funny, great.

But its not funny.
    Reading the chat box in the first mario picture was however.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

WOW bashing, the easy way to look skilled, even if you aren't!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by altairzq

WOW bashing, the easy way to look skilled, even if you aren't!

I agree but the quote: "Warcraft has an ending like a fat burglar finishes dinner in a Twinkie factory. He’s kind of only done until he has the energy to open his mouth again." is true about most MMOs, that one actually hit the mark.

The whole thing was at least worth reading, I laughed 3 times. Maybe not something you should take seriously however :)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by logangregor

Maybe you wrote it and thats why you thought it was funny?
    If it was making fun of wow and was funny, great.
    But its not funny.

Reading the chat box in the first mario picture was however.

No, I just thought that it was funny. The chat boxes especially.

If you didn't think that it was funny, that's perfectly fine, we all have different tastes.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

Originally posted by szsleepy
    No, obviously not.  But, there was a time when WoW was not the Walmart (with a McDonald's in it) of video games.  This was an era I like to refer to as "pre-BC".  Back when it was considered "uncool" to be playing a "pay-to-play" game.  Back when WoW was referred to as the "new crack".  
    Raids back then were 40-man, and raiding guilds were always filled with elite players that were intelligent enough to work their way through places like Molten Core.  And back then, with a level 60 wearing UBRS dungeon sets, that was a REAL challenge.  Especially complicated intense fights like Major Domo Executus, or fights that required real cooperation and communication, like Sulfuron.
    Beyond Molten Core, the challenges become more and more intense and exciting, into Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraj, and 40-man Naxxramas.
    Nowadays, World of Warcraft is little more than an upgraded version of Runescape.  When they finally pulled the plug on Runescape, the population and community there found a natural home in Warcraft. 

Yeah it's so hard having a raid with like 25 dudes actually doing something and 15 guy's doing auto attack and auto shot. Trying to be elitist with WoW just isn't going to work out.

• HolymonkHolymonk Member Posts: 24

Eh, Yawns*

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

The actual article itself is more of the same bitching you've heard a thousand times. The pictures, though, are seriously hilarious. You can tell this guy is an actual WoW player.