Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about OS location

BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

I just bought a new computer and it has 2 hdds a -

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA Hard Drive 10krpm

and

WD 320GB NCQ SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

I has planned to use the 320gb 7200rpm for my os and stuff and the 300gb 10krpm raptor for my games. However the OS came installed on the Raptor and thats where Im having trouble. I tried a clean install from the recovery disk to get the OS on the 7200 but it didnt work.

Can I and if I do will it make my puter slode, can i just copy/paste everything from the 10krpm drive with the OS on it onto the 7200rpm drive safely? Or is there some better way? or should i just leave it and put my games on the 7200 drive?

Comments

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

Copy/paste won't work. You'd need to make a disk image. I don't have much experience with that, however, so I'm not sure how successful you'll be with two disks of different sizes.

In any case, there's really not much difference between the two HDDs in terms of video game performance. I would suggest leaving your OS install on the faster drive as it will mean faster boots.

-

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Bodeus

I just bought a new computer and it has 2 hdds a -
    Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA Hard Drive 10krpm
    and
    WD 320GB NCQ SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

I has planned to use the 320gb 7200rpm for my os and stuff and the 300gb 10krpm raptor for my games. However the OS came installed on the Raptor and thats where Im having trouble. I tried a clean install from the recovery disk to get the OS on the 7200 but it didnt work.
    Can I and if I do will it make my puter slode, can i just copy/paste everything from the 10krpm drive with the OS on it onto the 7200rpm drive safely? Or is there some better way? or should i just leave it and put my games on the 7200 drive?

What sucks is you said recovery disk and not an OS install disk.

That means the factory/manufacturer/reseller has it set to default to their choice of installation.

And the problem with "copy and paste" is not all system files will let you copy them and even if they did, the registry on the new location would be screwed.

What you could do is download a program such as Everest or other system info program that can show you the key for the OS. Then just find or borrow the same OS install disc from someone/somewhere and use your key.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

If you're not short on cash, pick up Acronis True Image.  It will let you clone your C: to whatever physical drive you want.  Then just swap boot drives in the bios and format the old boot drive for your games.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Rayx0r
    If you're not short on cash, pick up Acronis True Image.  It will let you clone your C: to whatever physical drive you want.  Then just swap boot drives in the bios and format the old boot drive for your games.

Yep this works really quick and easy and you can just use the trial version to do it then uninstall it afterward.