Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

one of the main reasons Vangaurd will never be what it could be....

2»

Comments

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

Are we speaking of the same game here? When did SOE toss 50 devs from EQ2 on to VG to help fix bugs? If they did then they really did a piss-poor job. SOE never once sent extra devs to the VG department to fix anything, Were you guys all there when it happened? It was the exact same devs from Sigil, around 30 or so then it began to dwindle over time. Again, if they did have assistance of 50 or so devs, then the game deserves to be shut down because 50 devs working and they still couldn't fix stairs then or now, that's an LOL.

As for VG's combat system being the best out there, I have to agree with Daff, its no different then any combat system out there. Click this click that, crit this then get to click that, I parry, then I click this one. Not sure what's so different from that to other games.

VG is just like any mmo out there just better graphics. The difficulty of VG is quite possibly that of EQ2 but not on the level of EQ (but of course players are becoming better overtime). The last half difficult encounter in VG was possibly Varking in which my guild killed in 2 nights of trying. Maybe its my playstyle but since EQ1, there hasn't been any game worthy of the title "challenging". Granted my experience consists of EQ/EQ2/VG, I could be proved wrong but I know VG is not a challenging MMO as some speak of it

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I think someone is getting confused about the SOE/Sigil devs.

According to some dev during an interview at f13.net, he said soe sent over 3-4 devs to help with a few things a couple of weeks before the game released.  Other than that soe was pretty much hands off in the games development, which several sigil employees have echoed.

When soe purchased the game, they only rehired about 50 of the sigil staff (104 at the time) and immediately moved 6 of the best devs to other soe projects. 

The staff was cut again when they left the sigil building and moved to the main soe building (I forget where).   Down to around 18 is what I recall hearing, but unsure.

Personally I don't think the game can go anywhere until soe shows it is willing to support the game.  Thrusting RMT down the players throats, cutting staff (the producer left the project and didn't even say goodbye) and no expansion for over two and a half years are not strong selling points that can be marketed away. 

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Daffid011

According to some dev during an interview at f13.net, he said soe sent over 3-4 devs to help with a few things a couple of weeks before the game released.  Other than that soe was pretty much hands off in the games development, which several sigil employees have echoed.
    When soe purchased the game, they only rehired about 50 of the sigil staff (104 at the time) and immediately moved 6 of the best devs to other soe projects. 
    The staff was cut again when they left the sigil building and moved to the main soe building (I forget where).   Down to around 18 is what I recall hearing, but unsure.

Personally I don't think the game can go anywhere until soe shows it is willing to support the game.  Thrusting RMT down the players throats, cutting staff (the producer left the project and didn't even say goodbye) and no expansion for over two and a half years are not strong selling points that can be marketed away. 

That's what I'm trying to say concerning the devs. SOE never once helped with development. Not once. Cold blooded.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Originally posted by Xeonsoldier

Originally posted by Daffid011

That's what I'm trying to say concerning the devs. SOE never once helped with development. Not once. Cold blooded.

" Posting by his online handle "Smed," Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley has stated that the assets of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and its developer Sigil Games Online have been acquired by SOE. Sigil's offices will apparently remain in Carlsbad, California, and will be managed by Sigil's Dave Gilbertson. Sigil co-founder Brad McQuaid will be employed as a consultant by SOE as Vanguard's creative advisor. In addition, some 50 employees of the formerly independent Sigil will be given jobs with SOE on Vanguard. "

www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46965/

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13956

I was wrong that they lent Eq2 developers (at least I can't find any of the info that supports this) but SOE did invest resources to finish the game.