Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And you know what the most sad thing is?

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Unlike many others, I think this is a gret game. Having played it since launch, no other MMO have managed to keep me as entertained.

But im dissapointed in SOE. I don't know there motivations or reasons for their delays and bugged patchs, and I don't want to comment on does.

But as a Starwars fan, it seriously makes me sad to see how the just treat the Starwars licenes like it was some stupid sci-fi B movie!

SOE can thank the current 300K players because of the Starwars brand!

Why did they ever give into Jedi? Why?

This was not even a part of Ralph Kosters original idea with SWG. You know... Back then when SWG wa suposed to be one of the best games of all time and the king of MMOs? Back at E3 2000! Seems like decades ago now...

This was the only thing I wanted them to respect! The licenes...

Having all these Jedis running around... Having people with Scytches in Tusken Raider armor who are soloing Rancors! It is just so lame and stupid and bad..

And I can't imagine how this must be for role players, let alone PvPers who just wanted starwars, and not some melee defense stalker stun baton freaks!

I love Brawler... Its not that, but they way the system works! They way it just betrays everything that Starwars is...

It really makes me sad... Totally when its an RPG! How are we suposed to play a role in a game that cant take itself serious enouge to be called a starwars game?

So much info is so incorrect... the potential for gm events is so crazy, and still we have only haven boba fett walk through Coronet twice in over a year of playimage

When I think about it. I thought this game was awsome before holocrons.... Before Jedi.. And before its current state!

I just hope these Lucasarts rumors are true.. I hope George Lucas would personaly come up to the SOE officies and start raping all of them, because they raped Stawars...

And it would be so sweet if George Lucas would burn down the SOE headquaters while screaming "WHOS YOUR DADDY"??

-Pingo

Comments

• loke81loke81 Member Posts: 43

Nice one m8, been in the swg galaxy quite a while also, and im also still entertained to a certain grade.. but it doesnt do it 4 me like it used 2..

Still, its a game that could b catagorized under "old" (well not really but still..) but it still got bugs and small annoying things that makes a swg veteran wanna quit..

I hope George can come in and use his mandate to stirr things up a bit, with a game with so much potencial its sad to c it float away on nerfed jedi grinders camping all the dungeons macroing the npc afk and killing the experience early..

i decided once i knew the jedi systen came that i wanted to b a non-jedi jedi killer instead off a l-s swinging noob.. more fun ya..

But even though i dont think swg has the "power" to seduce like it did its still a game with endless potencial, and with the gcw revamp, smuggler revamp and the anticipated combat revamp combined with JTL it would again climb high up and claim atleast a sorta throne as one o the best mmorpg there is..

but with WoW coming, EQ2, SoR and matrix on the way they gotta work fast if they wanna stay on the list..

Long live the empire!

Darkwoods guils on the Ahazi server, fastest growing, hardest hitting, meanest mf's in the galaxy..

Rebel scum will FEAR my hammer, RUN from my baton and DIE by my vibroknuckler...

-Rocko CeC-, Master Swordman, Master Fencer, Teras Kasi Master (go with the flow)

"Who am I to blow against the wind?"

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

See thats my biggest problem aside from the jedi debacle....

A guy with a gun should not fear your hammer or your baton and especially not your vibro knucklers out on open terrain. When this game started it was hard for Melee to compete which is EXACTLY the way it was supposed to be.

This game has f**ked itself so badly by letting people have armor that stops 86% of damage and then making the encumbrance of it negligible through the use of overpowered buffs and food. This is what has perpetuated the domination by the melee classes in what was supposed to be a predominantly ranged game. This has also been the reason why grouping has turned into "SOLO" grouping in which people team up only to pull high paying missions to do alone. Then I proceed to take my SWORD out to a rancor lair and kill 20 of them without breaking a sweat.

This Game is absolutely preposterous in its current state.

ROLEPLAYERS UNITE!!!!!

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436
    So I guess SWG is the only place in gaming you can actually bring a knife to a gun fightimage

• macbeth100macbeth100 Member Posts: 3

Is the answer study harder in english class?

• loke81loke81 Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by starman999

A guy with a gun should not fear your hammer or your baton and especially not your vibro knucklers out on open terrain. When this game started it was hard for Melee to compete which is EXACTLY the way it was supposed to be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In open terrain its anybodys fight there buddy, cant hit what i cant reach, but if i hit i hit.. So theres a balance there, if u can stay at a distance from the melee fighter as f.ex a rifleman or pistoleer u are almost certain to win, but if i catch up 2 u might b in trouble.. ( i like to think that u really are)

Just had a nice pvp 4 15min ago, i killed  a m rifle/doc cause i caught him, kd him, made him dizzy and eventually killed the poor rebel.. Then he brought 3 friends and killed me, recycling i call it, but still if he could have kept his distance he might have won..

But i agree with the PvE situation, i get bored when i can solo the geo caves, kill krayts by my self and kill endless streams o rancors as u say.. But the game offers a wide variety o both solo and groupgaming, u just have 2 visit the right places..

Travel to galaxies far far away ring a bell? image

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

You know I really feel like a broken record, but as long as people keep messing this up, I will keep correcting them:

You are aboslutely right when you lead designer for SOE did not, I say again, did not want Jedi in the game. Lucas Arts, you know that little company owned by George Lucas, told SOE to put jedi in the game. There are interviews and posts and if you go to Ralph Kosters website you will see it. So George Lucas, the man you're lavishing praises all over, is the dip$h!t that put jedi in the game. Don't blame SOE.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

George Lucas butchered his own movies! That isn't the Anikan(spelling?) I remember seeing on VHS or in the movies! The man butchered his own product and he is far from the God everyone makes him out to be.

As for him revamping the game...yeah it isn't porrible. The fundamental game mechanics of SWG right now are so unbelievably flawed you would have to reinvent the wheel to make SWG the game it could have been. Sure he can crack the whip to get patches out sooner, but patches can only go so far they can't save a game entirely. Dear God let SWG die...::::21::

===========================
    To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.

I hope SWG dies a slow miserable death and costs SOE a fortune in the process.

• RealmreaverRealmreaver Member Posts: 380

I personnelly would LOVE to backhand Hayden Blackman... people that inbred shouldn't breed.

SW:G is a fantastic SCI-FI game.. once they tossed out the theme it became the WORST Star Wars Game.

Former Stress Tester of the guild Stress Tester. =)

Realmreaver formally of EQ, SWG, FFXI and WoW.

Malis/Pirotess of PSO.

Some named of Diablo 1 and 2 =)

Grendel Kinguard of GW.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I agree with the original poster.

I was keeping tabs on this game since 2000. Heck, I even remember visited the starwarsgalaxies forum boards back in 2001 and just talking about how awesome a Star Wars mmorpg was really going to be.

We talked about forming our own adventures on planets that were mentioned in the movies yet never explained or visited (Datoinne for one).  We talked about establishing our own guild, talked about what professions there were going to be in the game.

Heck, I remember when people talked about how cool it was to add a farmer and a miner in the game to correlate with Luke's formal childhood duties...those weren't even placed in the game at release.

We talked about how awesome it would be to build houses and dwellings reminscient of the movies and to get into firefights with a platoon of Storm Troopers. We talked about many things.

Then it just plain got scary! The first sign was when they released some information on profession.  "Pikeman", "swordsman", "Fencer"...these scared the hell out of us.  A pikeman in Star Wars?  We always remembered swords, axes, and pikes in the movies but Lucas always had them used for ceremonial displays or to equip savage crime groups or less-developed species. In no way, we thought that a two handed sword would lay waist to a blaster...never.

We were also into roleplaying. We looked forward to roleplay in the Star Wars universe. I know many of you younger generation thinks role-playing is quite gay, but back when us older kids played Pen&paper DnD, Warhammer, the cyberpunk rpgs, and even the Star Wars rpg, you had to roleplay to make it interesting.

Then release happened.

We realized to even building a small house you needed to grind your but off for weeks. The steady click of the mouse followed by the double click and then the next click for about 11,204 times to the next skill block depressed us. We thought this was going to break new ground for treadmill mmorpgs because SWG wasn't a treadmill.  Needless to say, SWG was a treadmill, only with a different twist.

Then we tried roleplaying. We essentially gave that up after one month because everytime we tried to roleplay we were asked if we were crazy or they would threaten to report us to SOE because we were threatening their lives (we were Imperials..they were rebels).  I would be safe to say that about 80% of the starsider server had no idea what the term "role-play" was. Sadly ironic, as Starsider was the unofficial rpg server at release.

Then, to our amazement, we saw swordsmen take out commandos like they were yesterdays lunch.  It was bizarre to say the least. Then one fateful day in August came; a friend of ours who went to college with a SOE SWG employee informed him about the Jedi system and how to unlock it.  I was in complete denial.  At first I even disbelieved him about his "firend at SOE thing" because you hear that in every mmorpg. But he was adament about it and the guild decided to take his word on it. So in August (about 2 months before the holocron announcement), we dropped our Master Profession and grinded our arses off.

Back in August we even posted how you will need to unlock a dozen or so professions to become Jedi. Lol, the flames we got were astronomical. Sadly, everyone else was in denail too. So we left it at that.

We had confirmed our suspicion in September of 2003 when the DEVs (Q-3p0) announced the holocron hint at an IGN interview so we grinded even more. Then in January my wife unlocked her Padawan, followed by a friend of ours.  I unlocked mine about 3 weeks later. 

At the end of Feb we left the game. Then back in May I tried to give it another shot. I lasted 45 days before I found myself in my Star Wars house sitting on a chair thinking, why did I log in?

Sadly, they had an increadible vision...but it just didn't work out.

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Originally posted by pingo

SOE can thank the current 300K players because of the Starwars brand!

Yes that is true. And was planned that way from the getgo. If it were not for the SW name, then this game would not exist. AO would be the ONLY Sci-Fi themed MMORPG around.

Why did they ever give into Jedi? Why?

Blame LucasArts all the way. LucasArts are the ones who forced Jedi into SWG. LucasArts are the ones who went around Sony and made their own ad for SWG. That semi-false advertisement Flash ad that is all over the internet that is filled with nothing but Jedi, making it look like SWG is Jedi Outcast III. The SWG game DEVs posted a thread after the start of 2004 about this.

This was not even a part of Ralph Kosters original idea with SWG. You know... Back then when SWG wa suposed to be one of the best games of all time and the king of MMOs? Back at E3 2000! Seems like decades ago now...

I agree. Raph Koster aka Holocron intended Jedi to be extreemly rare. Also Jedi would have permadeath. He specifically mentioned Jedi would be like playing Diablo 2 in hardcore mode. The epidimey of PvE and PvP.

This was the only thing I wanted them to respect! The licenes...

Having all these Jedis running around... Having people with Scytches in Tusken Raider armor who are soloing Rancors! It is just so lame and stupid and bad..

And I can't imagine how this must be for role players, let alone PvPers who just wanted starwars, and not some melee defense stalker stun baton freaks!

Blame LucasArts. BTW LucasArts has never in the past respected their own license. Lucas killed Boba Fett on purpose. Then he allowed Fett to live - after he saw how much $$$ the Fett fans were bringing in. For years Lucas allowed writers to pen that Stromtroopers were regular human. He then went against his own license by saying Stormtroopers are clones of... you know who.

For years the Force was suppose to be a mystical thing binding all life. As Ben Kenobi stated to Luke in ANH. Lucas then goes against his own license by saying the Force is simply microbes living in people!?!

I love Brawler... Its not that, but they way the system works! They way it just betrays everything that Starwars is...

It really makes me sad... Totally when its an RPG! How are we suposed to play a role in a game that cant take itself serious enouge to be called a starwars game?

So much info is so incorrect... the potential for gm events is so crazy, and still we have only haven boba fett walk through Coronet twice in over a year of playimage

I agree. In the end, blame LucasArts for putting the $$$ first. The money men rule SWG.

When I think about it. I thought this game was awsome before holocrons.... Before Jedi.. And before its current state!

I fully agree. I have been playing SWG since day 1. The first 4 months of release the game was incredible! The Jedi Hologrind has forever hurt SWG with irrepairable damage.

I just hope these Lucasarts rumors are true.. I hope George Lucas would personaly come up to the SOE officies and start raping all of them, because they raped Stawars...

And it would be so sweet if George Lucas would burn down the SOE headquaters while screaming "WHOS YOUR DADDY"??

-Pingo

Actually, if you knew the true history of SWG, it is because of LucasArts that SWG is recieving the majority of negative criticism.

- LucasArts are the ones who promoted Jedi against the SWG game DEVs wishes.

- LucasArts are the ones who by theirselves, without telling the SWG game DEVS, made a new Flash ad for SWG, which blatantly promoted Jedi, to the point of being boarderline false advertising.

- LucasArts are the ones who released Beta screenshots without telling the SWG game DEVs. (this cause sooo much of a mess.)

- SWG is a country being controlled by two kings. Two parent companies are trying to run SWG. Not good.

In the end, SWG is now 1 year and 3 months old. If it sticks around for 3 years and 9 months more, it will have fullfilled everything the LucasArts money men want. It will have served its purpose. THAT is all LucasArts, and their money men are intrested in.

-Personal Website (A Work in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html
    -AC, AC2, AO, EQ, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    -More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor
    -EverQuest II:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01
    -EQ, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, *UXO*:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01
    -EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

• DevilHawkDevilHawk Member Posts: 179

Crap...

En1Gma, sitting in the chair wondering why the hell he logged in. I did that a few days ago. Logged in for the first time in 3 months... 5 mins later i logged out and decided that my anger for SOE has turned into hatred and I cant even stand to give the new patches a try because Im so damned disgruntled with the csr's, the broken promises.. etc.

And like I said in a previous thread... there is that faint, lingering hope that JtL would change this. However Ive been there before, waiting on an expansion to make things better... and was disapointed.

If I never had to set foot on one of those blasted planets again, with JtL... and I could just stay in space, fly and fight in a "skill based"pvp environment I would be happy.

• moonfogmoonfog Member Posts: 979

They gave in to to Jedi becase they were using it to recruite more ppl to the game. Naturally when younger gamers see a Jedi waving his lightsaber and a line under it saying BE a Jedi, ofcourse they exspect the OPTION to become one. NOT to have to skillfully "unlock" the abillity by playing the role and you actions MIGHT unlock your Jedi powers. Nope, they dont what to have to work for it.

They should of stuck the the first idea from the start and let all the whining younger gamers to leave. That would of resulted it a more stronger comunity and more mature players. Eventually players would come to there sences and understood that the rarety of Jedi makes the game more true to the Star Wars name.

my opinion.

An Idea:

Dont know if this is posabul (i quit SWG after 3 monthes of the release).
    Would be cool if once someone reached Master (or whatever the top lvl is), they could take someone under there wing...become a teacher. BUT you could only teach ONE player until he/she reached a spesific lvl/skill.
    Also becoming a "teacher" would have a risk. If a bounty hunter caught you or your "Jedi to be" bouth of you suffer a penalty. Or something like that...you get the idea.

That would be cool! Once again my iopinion. ::::02::

• GrimReapezGrimReapez Member Posts: 463

alrighty then. i have been playing swg for a bit now and find it awsome. i like the new jedi system and hopefully with JTL it will be it even better!. YEHH!!!

According to some you may call me, "A little Hairy Man In A Dress"

Name: Jengu-Fet
    Server: Bria
    Profession: TKM

-
    Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I remember reading posts from that dreaded Caella who messed the heads of the Devs up fairly well and her getting a first generation beta invite and then at the end of beta saying how she was not going to purchase the game. Caella messed SWG up good with her Trammie talk.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Speaking as a Master Bounty Hunter / Master Pistoleer / Nov Brawler

I don't see what the problem is.  I kill melee all the time, they kill me all the time.  It's fairly balanced.  I solo Jedi when I really want to, not easy, but do-able as long as you play smart.  Trick is to attack when they DONT expect it.  If you try to go toe-to-toe with a Jedi you will die, and you should. 

But if I'm prepared and he's not?  Jedi goes down easy.  Even knights aren't bad if you plan it right.

I recently got out of BH though, because of the new insane XP loss that Jedi have to take from BH (400k + xp loss... no fun for me or them).  But even as a Smug / TKM / MPistoleer I'm able to take on just about anyone out there, and Jedi are actually easier now that I have TKM because of all the melee defenses I have now.

I'd say the game is fairly balanced.  If you're fighting a melee person stay beyond 15m from him and he's yours, period.  If you're fighting a Jedi don't let him know you're coming.  Catch him unawares or prepare to die.

Overall the game is quite good.  And JTL is awesome :)  Been in JTL since Closed Beta Phase 1 :)

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Umm... look.  I was on Kauri server, had my Hologrinder with 10 grinded professions, but all my friends went to Sunrunner.  When I heard they were revamping the system, I gave up totally on Kauri since I wanted a Jedi on Sunrunner instead.

With my new character within only 1 MONTH I got all badges... ALL BADGES... except the Corvette Badges since they were too hard.  No matter, with ALL BADGES I was glowy, I managed to get 3/0/0/4 Combat Prowess in 2 months time until I cancelled my accounts because this game sucks @ss.

Now, to think I've been playing since November 2003.  Back in August 2004 until 1 week ago in October, I managed to get all POI badges, do all theme parks, warren, all 4 race tracks badges, got the Marauder Armor, collected an entire set of Stormtrooper armor, got almost 9000 Imp faction points (I was aiming for an ATST) and finished my perfect template as Master Rifleman + Master Fencer... all in 2 MONTHS!

What kind of crap is this.  I found it hella fun that I did almost everything this game has to offer.  All that was left for me was to get my own ATST, finish the Corvette missions for the badges and become a Jedi.

2 months... pretty sad... pretty freaking sad.  If I could do it, others could too.

Sorry but there was nothing left for me.  This game lacks content and the other professions suck.

Couldn't play my Master Tailor + Master ID (Dohnaven) on Bria, so many people sell clothes for cheap that it's hard to make a living off clothes and image designing.

Couldn't play my Droid Engineer Sunrunner (Khilli) because it doesn't matter if you craft droids out of good quality or bad quality ressources, they all work the same way. So people craft bad quality droids and sell them cheap.  And combat droids are useless because everyone solos no thanks to buffs and 80% kin res armor.

Couldn't play my Master Bounty Hunter (Systhro) on Kauri because Master BH's suck.  As a matter a fact, when I cancelled my Master BH became a 0/0/4/3 Pistoleer + 4/0/4/0 BH with Master Creature Handler.  Hunting Jedi was so boring and a waste of time, I did CH just so I could run around with my very own Kimogila to roleplay.  Got boring though since CH is nothing more than a roleplaying profession.

Couldn't play with my Master Bio-Engineer (Ferrari) on Eclipse because no one needs Bio-pets anymore and it was boring always crafting the same Melee Defence components that was the only selling clothing biowear component needed anymore.

Couldn't play with my Master Dancer + Master Musician (Nek'kid Cowboy) on ... hmm ... forgot which server... but anyways, everyone gets buffs from buff-bots and SOE never did remove the Macro-looping afterall, which kept the entertainer professions as sucky as ever.

Yes, don't believe me?  All the characters I mentioned that are in between (    )  are my character names.  You won't see them online anymore because I QUIT SWG.  And if you know me, you'll know who I am.

I've done everything, I've tried to touch as many professions as I can. And for what... I felt like all I've been ever doing was grinding, then once finish grinding, there these days playing the professions I've grinded leads to nothing.

That's why I quit, and that's why I feel good saying STAR WARS GALAXIES SUCKS!

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

• 51505150 Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by Johnark

With my new character within only 1 MONTH I got all badges... ALL BADGES... except the Corvette Badges since they were too hard.  No matter, with ALL BADGES I was glowy, I managed to get 3/0/0/4 Combat Prowess in 2 months time until I cancelled my accounts because this game sucks @ss.
    Now, to think I've been playing since November 2003.  Back in August 2004 until 1 week ago in October, I managed to get all POI badges, do all theme parks, warren, all 4 race tracks badges, got the Marauder Armor, collected an entire set of Stormtrooper armor, got almost 9000 Imp faction points (I was aiming for an ATST) and finished my perfect template as Master Rifleman + Master Fencer... all in 2 MONTHS!

I have a couple of questions....

What did you expect?

If you hammer the game that hard (i.e. powergame) then you will exhaust the content of _any_ online game very quickly - the only reason this is a bigger issue in SWG is because of the 'casual gamer friendly' approach - meaning that you dont have to be a die hard gamer to achieve anything in the game.

Why did you do it?

Seriously this isnt a flame I'm genuinely interested in what your motivation was for hitting the content so hard and fast - were you expecting an 'end game' (oxymoron in a MMORPG if you ask me) to suddenly become available to you or were you trying to unlock your Jedi (in which case I dont really see your problem since that opens up a whole other 'grind' (should you choose to grind))

Let me put it to you another way, I wanted to be a Droid Eng from the minute I heard about this game. I've been playing since launch and I'm DE xxx3. The _only_ grinding I have done was to get off the Novice box to the first blueprints (since no one wants mouse droids) and some parts of the Ent tree. I make droids, I sell droids and I do it at my own pace. I'm making a profit (ok I only have 3 mil but I've not had to run a combat mission for a long long time), I've done the Warren, Imp park, most POIs, working on Jabbas park, I've only mastered Marksman, Ent, Merchant and Scout and I'm one force 'level' off the old mans visit (which I suspect will be Jabbas badge).

I've still got the Corvette (tried it once) the Geo caves (again tried it once) and Deathwatch yet to do. I'm Covert Imp for RP purposes (I'm not into MMORPG PvP) but I will give PvP in JTL a try since the character skill are not massively important (that and I have experience of combat flight sims etc)

Sure I get burnout ocassionally (gave CoH a go for a month, re-opened Eve for a month and tried Neocron 2) but I've never cancelled SWG nor can I see myself cancelling

Remember its a game not a job/competition