Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard suspected of Illegal joint venture, WoW facing permanent suspension in china

LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-07-14/20090714054025804.shtml

There goes 5 million chinese WoW players. But this is just another stupid chinese protectionism law. Trump up charges to eliminate the competition because WoW was too successful in China ?

Comments

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by liddokun

But this is just another stupid chinese protectionism law. Trump up charges to eliminate the competition because WoW was too successful in China ?

Yeah pretty much and if (insert any country here) tried to pull the same shit everyone would be up in arms.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

I have Chinese friends I knew from Uni and they go back to China alot but they bring back copies of WoW with them and play on the EU and US servers anyways lol.

• bobothewizarbobothewizar Member Posts: 56

Good, maybe the gold selling spam will quiet down and the economy will come back.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

months ago, in march

GAPP declared they were going to be more restrictive with import games

www.massively.com/2009/03/16/china-to-impose-more-restrictions-on-foreign-online-games/

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Venger

But this is just another stupid chinese protectionism law. Trump up charges to eliminate the competition because WoW was too successful in China ?

Yeah pretty much and if (insert any country here) tried to pull the same shit everyone would be up in arms.

Sad but very true. Still, as westerners we are very much aware of the many wrongs in China's policies. But the appealing financial gains tend to clog the minds of our businessmen and with that, those of our politicians.

So if you play with fire, you might get burned. Or flamed ... when it's online.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

HOLY COW PATTIES, BATMAN!

Finally, Blizzard met a dragon it can't tame.

Looks like China is going to do something that no developer has figured out how to do, and that is to beat Blizzard.

Like many of us on the forums has always said, the only way Blizzard would no longer be king of the mountain is if they jumped off themselves, and it appears as they might have done just that.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by bobothewizar

Good, maybe the gold selling spam will quiet down and the economy will come back.

wut?

• GoldenDogGoldenDog Member Posts: 586

Huh, sounds like somebody didn't payoff the right official.

LineageII | LoTRO | RFO | 9Dragons | Aion | Perfect World | Ether Saga | Dungeon Runners | GuildWars 1 and 2 | Hellgate London | tCoS | Warhammer | AoC | Tabula Rasa | SWTOR
    youtube.com/gcidogmeat
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Trump up charges to eliminate the competition because WoW was too successful in China ?
    More like The9 sucked so Blizzard went with a better company so The9 got all pissy that Blizzard was their entire income.

Also, even if WoW does lose China they will still be king of the MMO mountain. WoW will still have twice as many subscribers as Aion and WoW will still make about $100 million a month.

So, if WoW is banned in China it wont be the massive blow that many people here think it would be.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

So, if WoW is banned in China it wont be the massive blow that many people here think it would be.

What? the sky is NOT falling and WoW really isn't going to die? 

But I want to sound smart on forums too and agree with the mob mentality!

No fair Xiaoki, you and your silly logic and reasoning! There is no place for that here on these boards!

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

For some reason I think the politics could be more interesting than just one pissed off company losing a major income stream(the9), and govt. policies corrupt or otherwise.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

There goes 5 million chinese WoW players.

Excellent.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

Good maybe we will finally get pandarian as a playable race.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Was that really neccessary? Jesus, So how does it affect your gameplay in WoW if they dont have all these people in China playing? It should really be a good thing to wipe away most of the gold farmers, yet you're upset why? The only explanation I see is because you're probably one of them people who buys gold from em.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There goes 5 million chinese WoW players. But this is just another stupid chinese protectionism law. Trump up charges to eliminate the competition because WoW was too successful in China ?

I think it is a fact that most of us ,do not understand all the legal activity of owning a gaming company at home or abroad.Then you bring in stocks,value manipulating,sneaky ways to get around laws for obvious personal gains,just so much can go on,that we don't understand.

Blizzard/Vivendi has been caught before for manipulating their books and their worth and their debt,i believe they are still in court over some issues.It is way too easy to hire some marketing firm to falsify a games worth or ratings,in order to hype up stocks and a developers worth.

One thing for sure,Blizzard's lawyers know the law,and it seems obvious to me they are trying a sneaky way to get around the law.Being sneaky equals one thing only>>."you are up to no good".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Ozarumon

Good maybe we will finally get pandarian as a playable race.

good point.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Ouch...

This will hurt numbers, but wasn't China on a pay by the hour type system?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I think it is a fact that most of us ,do not understand all the legal activity of owning a gaming company at home or abroad.Then you bring in stocks,value manipulating,sneaky ways to get around laws for obvious personal gains,just so much can go on,that we don't understand.

Blizzard/Vivendi has been caught before for manipulating their books and their worth and their debt,i believe they are still in court over some issues.It is way too easy to hire some marketing firm to falsify a games worth or ratings,in order to hype up stocks and a developers worth.

One thing for sure,Blizzard's lawyers know the law,and it seems obvious to me they are trying a sneaky way to get around the law.Being sneaky equals one thing only>>."you are up to no good".

any links to support this? not saying ya lie but first i ever hear blizzard in court for any reason.. certainly not for fraud as you suggest.

blizzard simply want more control of "their" game in china, not being sneaky just wanting more control and rightly so.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by skeaser

Ouch...
    This will hurt numbers, but wasn't China on a pay by the hour type system?

China wont  put a dent in  blizzards wallet matter fact with china out of the way they will bring it so many more players from other countries due to playable pandarian and less gold spam/selling

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Which is why the U.S. needs to start blocking Chinese games. They throw their POS games over here with impunity, but then don't want our games there. I say we make it mutual.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

More like The9 sucked so Blizzard went with a better company so The9 got all pissy that Blizzard was their entire income.

Also, even if WoW does lose China they will still be king of the MMO mountain. WoW will still have twice as many subscribers as Aion and WoW will still make about $100 million a month.

Tue, but if the chinese players go over to Aion it will be larger...

There have already been several threads about this BTW. No, this wont kill Wow or even hurt Blizzards income much, the chinese players paid very little and I think Blizzard largely had its chinese version for status, since 6 million players extra or so makes the sub number sounds really huge.

The thing that will eventually kills Wow is time, the game gets older and computergames are like rap artists, they dont age well. Aion is already taking Wows asian players fast but that wont happen in the west, the game is too asian to be the next huge game.

But other games are coming like TOR, GW2, WoDO, Copernicus and others, many of them made by earlier Blizzard programmers or huge companies with many best selling games like Bioware and Bethesda. I think of them, or several will take Wows title in about 2 years or so, Wow cant last forever.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Would be funny if banning millions of chinese WoW players led to social unrest and demonstrations/clashed like seen recently in Iran. China likes to pretend its changed now its part of the global economy  but its still a communist state at heart.

• VyronVyron Member Posts: 55

Yes, I deleted a few un-needed replies.

Please keep the discussion clean folks.

Thanks

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619
    Originally posted by Mykell

Would be funny if banning millions of chinese WoW players led to social unrest and demonstrations/clashed like seen recently in Iran. China likes to pretend its changed now its part of the global economy  but its still a communist state at heart.

Hehe..Wow helps bring down an evil regime, that would give them bragging rights!

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

Originally posted by Mykell

Hehe..Wow helps bring down an evil regime, that would give them bragging rights!

Addictive enough to start a revoloution...

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.