Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online - gay gamers not wanted

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I usually take my word serious, and being in a MMORPG beta under NDA, I usually refrain from taking things to the open. But my personal code of ethics force me to bring something to the public, which I personally feel of enough importance.

It is a story whose topic may be know to you. Banning gay people from MMOs. The story is simple enough. I created a character called "Qweer Cop", looking like a Cop. Now my character was forcibly renamed, telling me it was harrasment against sexual orientation. You may mind the irony, that a gay gamer (me!) is "protected" from being harrased by calling himself gay. You may or may may not share my idea of freedom that I can call a character as I want, but pretending to protect ME, by banning my own self-descption is in every way the height of absurdity.

I thought after WOW and SWTOR, we have passe beyond this way of PC thinking. Apparently the lesson isnt learned... so here we go again.

I posted a post in the Beta Forum, *kindly* and *reasonably* asking that it was wrong to forbid my character to be named like that. The Tems of Service just mention usage of sexual orientation is only forbidden, when it is used in a derogatory way, which I as gay gamer myself, can't. I mean I AM GAY. I can call MYSELF as I want. Freedom of Speech in USA used to be an absolute, but apparently in 2009 it just means "Freedom of Speech to say what I agree to". There goes the land of the Free. I am ired about the fact they forbade "Qweer Cop" - I used a hero called "Qweer Avenger" in City of Heroes for YEARS, and not a single moment anyone cared.

Nor is the word "Queer" genuinely sexal, as if I had called the char "Assbang Anvenger". It is a matter of identity. And it was a simply fun char, either way. The matter is, when in a forum a reasonable debat isnt just locked, it is deleted, and all the effort from both side are nullified.

I understand most of you won't care. I know most of you won't care rat's ass about my pain about being made invisivle and being harrassed by a company. But even tho I know they will likely win and I won't, I must fight this fight. It is to acknowledge what I am - what we gay gamers are. We are once more forbidden even our very own name!

And tho it may not credit me as a serious or sober person by your definition - I spit my hate of despise against Cryptic. Hell's own fire is not as hot as my anger against you. Know that I am entirely honest and serious in saying this: from the depth of my heart I wish Cryptic curse and doom.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

While it may not bother you, it might offend other gay people who play the game.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717

Did you really need TWO threads about this crap?

• MetsunaMetsuna Member Posts: 6

There is no such thing as land of the free if you are playing someone's elses virtual world that they created. 

"Guru Guru Mawaru"

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Firstly Elikal, you know better than anyone that the term "queer" can be offensive to someone of the homosexual persuasion. Also, if the guy named "Qweer Cop" was a straight guy making fun of gays, you'd be the first to report his name as harrassment.

Secondly, freedom of speech does not apply to private property and/or functions. You do not have the freedom of speech on these forums or in someone elses game world except for the freedom they allow you.

As an example, the KKK is allowed to spew their hate propoganda due to the second amendment. However, if they choose to do so while on my front lawn, I can have them arrested for hate related crime.

• RogueMasterRogueMaster Member UncommonPosts: 22

Oh look, he started a second thread on the same subject..  Where's an Admin when you want one?

Get over it Elikal. As I stated before, you knew what would happen when you named the toon, and it was done simply so you could troll the boards for sympathy.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Zorvan

As an example, the KKK is allowed to spew their hate propoganda due to the second amendment. However, if they choose to do so while on my front lawn, I can have them arrested for hate related crime.

As long as they are there, you might as well make them do some weeding.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • saturn1234saturn1234 Member UncommonPosts: 111

are you serious?? rofl you are so stupid it is embarrassing that you are part of the gay community.  Honestly, re-read what you just typed and then think about it a bit more.  You used a name against the naming policy, and now you are getting all up in arms like somehow they are descriminating against you.  You are the worst kind of gay person.  You just like to draw attention to it and play the victim any chance you get.  I am a gay gamer myself, and there is no reason to name my characters (terrible sounding anyway) names like that.

Nevermind

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

Like mentioned above Freedom of Speech doesn't exsist in places like an online game. You click "I agree" to their terms of service which, among other things, state that they will moderate you as they see appropriate.

As for the name, I'm surprised you are surprised it was banned.  An admin has no way to know a players sexual orientation. As was said by Zorvan, you could be a straight player making fun of gays. There is no way to determine. And while you be comfortable with the word Queer, other people in the gay community may not.  Nothing I've seen makes me think Cryptic is "anti-gay"

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Zorvan

As long as they are there, you might as well make them do some weeding.

I think their sheets would make great shop rags, myself.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole COUNTRY decides that something WRONG is something RIGHT. This nation was foundede on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter what the odds or the consequences.

And when the mobs and the press and the whole WORLD tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and the the whole world - ' No YOU move-'"

Captain America

Civil War - The amazin Spiderman

I thought it was apporpriate to quote a Superhero for why I am doing this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

you arent doing anything?  what are you trying to prove?  You are just making yourself look stupid.

Any reasonable person would side with Cryptic.  This has nothing to do with whether the person is gay or straight or whatever.  You used a word against the naming policy in the game, so it was removed.  If you dont like that you cant use your horrible name, go play a different game.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Wow... could you be more dramatic?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by saturn1234

you arent doing anything?  what are you trying to prove?  You are just making yourself look stupid.

Any reasonable person would side with Cryptic.  This has nothing to do with whether the person is gay or straight or whatever.  You used a word against the naming policy in the game, so it was removed.  If you dont like that you cant use your horrible name, go play a different game.

I only have this small wish: that you reincarnate and live MY life to see what it means. I care nothing how something makes me look in the eyes of others. I know my cause is righteous and imporant. Nothing else matters for me.

Elikal, I've read many of your posts during your time here.

And as the guy who liked you enough to give you your first avatar, I'd like you to do something for me. And I want you to know I am not attacking you or trying to discredit you. But I am trying to help you.

Sit back in a place that's comfortable, and ask yourself something. Are you really seeing an injustice with Cryptic, or do you perhaps tend to see injustice toward gays almost everywhere you look? Are you mad at Cryptic, or are you just pissed at society in general?

I do understand what alot of gays have gone through, I have many friends/associates who just happen to be gay. And a few of them tend to see much more injustice in the world than some of the others, even when looking at the same thing.

• syllvenwoodsyllvenwood Member Posts: 118

lol way to go admin if i had seen oyu i would be reporting it Untill they made you changed it or banned me. I could care less if you are gay strait or love the silky carress of a fine wool sheep. All that aside if you think that the game you are playing is such a big joke to name someone as ridiculous as that then i say gtfo we don't need someone as pathetic as that. Frankly i would suggest some counseling cause you obviously has some sexual identity issues and you should get all that straitened out.

I have a dumb question, is the company who makes this game US based? I know I know I fail for asking.

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

"Queer" is widely considered as derogatory and insulting, I am a little surprised that you would actually want that in your name.

so what is your cause? 

what would you want cryptic to do?  Somehow be able to verify that you are truely a gay person and then let you use the name?  And how would that benefit them, or anyone else who plays the game?

You really need to chill out, and seriously think about what really matters in life.  As gay people we have so many more concerns then whether or not we can name our characters in video games "Qweer Cop".  If you really wanna make a difference go volunteer to help people and families with HIV/AIDs, or go help the hundreds of organizations out there still fighting for gay marriage.

You are just making all gay people look like stupid drama queens.  You really need to pick your battles better.

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77

You know, if I bought a dog, I own him. Therefore I have the right to name him whatever the hell I want, who cares if he doesnt like it, or finds it offensive. You think your dog Spot likes his name? He cant say shit because you own him.

Your in Cryptics world, their rules, you dont have "Freedoms" in their world. If they dont like your name, they change it. They own you in any game, not the other way around, sorry.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

funny thing is , he slandering the game's name and reputation
    when he was in the wrong

lol

I doubt anyone is taking him seriously.

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Elikal

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole COUNTRY decides that something WRONG is something RIGHT. This nation was foundede on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter what the odds or the consequences.

And when the mobs and the press and the whole WORLD tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and the the whole world - ' No YOU move-'"
    Captain America

Civil War - The amazin Spiderman
    I thought it was apporpriate to quote a Superhero for why I am doing this.

Champions Online isn't the United States of America; when you decided to play the game, you agreed to their Terms of Service, and to their rules.  If you thoroughly read their ToS, you will see that there is a simple sentence in it that allows them to ban you from the game for ANY REASON THEY WANT.

It isn't a democracy; it is a dictatorship.  You are, however, free to discontinue your participation at any time.

It does not matter in the least whether you agree or not.  Simultaneously, you understood the naming policy rules.  Your personal sexual orientation or your method of expression has no bearing on the situation at all.

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Matrix Online
    World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes

• ZiphenZiphen Member Posts: 12

Gonna try and name my guy Gareth Gobbleqok and see where that gets me.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

oh no doubt
    making his "people" look bad, for sure

Nah just himself. I know a few gay people who probably would have reported the name themselves if they saw it. Not because they care that much about the name, just it does not belong in a video game.

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77

Im going to shoot for the name Elikal. Who knows, I might offend someone somwhere.

This discussion has been closed.