Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is LOTRO rated number one on mmorpg.com and yet never mentioned in threads?

Comments

• TrenchgunTrenchgun Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by afoaa

The game is rock solid. It know its target audience and caters 100% to their wishes and does it so well and it doesn't try to lure people in that wont find the game interesting.
    Its a game for roleplayers, crafters and cosy laid back casual and for that kind of gamer its heaven. For hard core raiders and pvp'ers its boring as hell but that is how its supposed to be.
    Its a good example of how games should not try to be too broad in their target audience but instead find a niche and then exploit it 100%.

I wasn't looking for raids or PvP but still found it a completely bland experience. I never encountered any serious role play. The game itself may be casual, but it's also the same damn thing I've done in a dozen MMOs before - It's guided tour of quests and progression is like replaying WoW all over again.

• EbenEben Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 522

I'm starting to note a trend.  When discussing another game, it seems as though the posts that basically slag on the game in question, yet find a way to weedle in a pro-WoW comment, are borderline illiterate and post a jumbled mess.  Rather telling, if you ask me.

Katsma is Lithuanian for 'he who drinks used douche fluid'.

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Trenchgun

LOTRO is the Ford Taurus of MMORPGs. It's very plain and uninteresting, but comfortable and functional and reliable - So there's nothing to whine about, but also nothing to rave about, which consequently leaves little to discuss.

Oh man!  Totally disagree!

I'd say that LoTRO is more like the Ferrari in the car lot LOL!  I've played many games since 2002 and LoTRO is at the top of my list for graphics, quests and classes. Best overall game for a PvE fan in the last decade- in my opinion!

It's held my interest for 2+ years now which is shocking considering that I never intended to try the game! I'm not a Tolkien fan and thought the game wasn't for me. That's putting it too mildly.....I actually ABHORE Tolkien stories LOL! 

But, I saw a screen shot on this site and thought the Shire looked so freaking beautiful! Applied for the Beta and I have been playing daily since:)

Thanks mmorpg.com:) I never would have tried the game if you hadn't have posted those beta shots back in December of 2006:)

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Because Lotro players do not care about forums, all they do is play and have fun. The way it should be.

Um, the web is the primary medium for everything these days, whether you're a gamer or not, hardcore or casual.  That excuse is no longer relevant to the modern era, catch up.

Anyone who thinks casuals aren't perusing websites dedicated to their favorite games are truly clueless.  Many of them may not post or visit some of the more obscure 3rd party sites, but you're an idiot if you think they aren't perusing boards and websites like anyone else who is connected to the internet.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• nratnamnratnam Member UncommonPosts: 186

TBh don't ever go by the rating system on mmorpg. A lot of companies make accounts and vote for their mmo on here. Also its based of the people on mmorpg.com and not the community as a whole. If you are looking for popularity of games i reccomend a mmo chart site based on ACTIVE subscriptions.

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by nratnam

TBh don't ever go by the rating system on mmorpg. A lot of companies make accounts and vote for their mmo on here. Also its based of the people on mmorpg.com and not the community as a whole. If you are looking for popularity of games i reccomend a mmo chart site based on ACTIVE subscriptions.

Yeah.... I check the MMOGChart every so often to see how games are ranked; however, it hasn't been updated in a while.  Last update was early last year *sigh*

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by jonrd463

Originally posted by Nicksd

Originally posted by Styij

Bingo! When I was subbed...I was playing it not posting on here how bad or good it was. Word.

Yes, there are words on a forum.

Indeed. I was thinking that perhaps numbers should be represented the same way. For example:

12584632038464030213428755869845093236355430823409486853. Number.

Integers are overated.

• HadrianHadrian Member Posts: 14

these forums seem to be a place to rant and create drama.  as there is little reason for ranting or drama in LoTRO, there are fewer posts concerning the game. 

games that are broken or have the angriest player base seem to generate the most posts and comparisons.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107

LOTRO is a bad mmorpg and I do not know why it gets so much praise on here. Its boring as hell, its a snooze fest its what I want to play if I have insominia. Its like A watered down WOW with no PVP. and the combat feels delayed as hell.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I don't understand what people mean when they say LoTRo has delayed combat. The combat has a rhythm. With my warden, it's a click fest of combat manuevers leading to gambits. Doesn't feel "delayed" at all, just feels rhythmic.

And I agree that this game is too inoffensive to generate much discussion on this site. I love it, especially the graphics,casual PvE, and storytelling. (yes, I READ the quests). But I also understand it is too laid back for everyone. A solid game that needs no commentary, good or bad.

• OzarumonOzarumon Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Senadina

I don't understand what people mean when they say LoTRo has delayed combat. The combat has a rhythm. With my warden, it's a click fest of combat manuevers leading to gambits. Doesn't feel "delayed" at all, just feels rhythmic.
    And I agree that this game is too inoffensive to generate much discussion on this site. I love it, especially the graphics,casual PvE, and storytelling. (yes, I READ the quests). But I also understand it is too laid back for everyone. A solid game that needs no commentary, good or bad.

The newer classes were giving much more fluid combat compared to the older  ones.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by Ozarumon

LOTRO is a bad mmorpg and I do not know why it gets so much praise on here. Its boring as hell, its a snooze fest its what I want to play if I have insominia. Its like A watered down WOW with no PVP. and the combat feels delayed as hell.

Glad you feel that way, I love LOTRO and don't like whiners playing it - so good riddance to you.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Eben

Maybe because most of the people that play it...are playing it...not staring at a forum?

On top of that, theres' not much to criticize. It's a solid themepark game, but not the king of the hill like WoW, so it's nota target to blame for all the themepark games. We don't call games "LOTRO clones" we call them WoW clones, and EQ clones before that.

LOTRO doesn't really have any innovative features to use for comparison, like RvR in DAoC or WAR, and it doesn't have any really bad features like Diplomacy in VAngaurd to compare.

It's just a good solid vanilla themepark game. If someone likes it they play, but if not there's nothing really to bash the game about.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I think Imhotepp summed it up rather well.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

For some reason LotRO doesn't annoy people like WoW. Even though it takes much from WoW and EQ2 but brings nothing new to the table, except perhaps the dullest gameplay around. I doubt it gets all those silly 0/10 that WoW gets. Perhaps people find it inoffensive. Dull things often are.

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Maybe because most of the people that play it...are playing it...not staring at a forum?

On top of that, theres' not much to criticize. It's a solid themepark game, but not the king of the hill like WoW, so it's nota target to blame for all the themepark games. We don't call games "LOTRO clones" we call them WoW clones, and EQ clones before that.

LOTRO doesn't really have any innovative features to use for comparison, like RvR in DAoC or WAR, and it doesn't have any really bad features like Diplomacy in VAngaurd to compare.

It's just a good solid vanilla themepark game. If someone likes it they play, but if not there's nothing really to bash the game about.

Agree very much.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

People would rather play it than post about it?

I kind of liked LOTRO tho by the time i hit the mid 30's i was getting bored. I dont like their PVP system at all tho...

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah LotRO is solid though nothing worth talking about really. I've been starting to get a little bored with it now that I got into the 30s but I agree that it deserves to be in the top 3.

As people have said it doesn't generate the hate that WoW has because it's not a trendy fad... but it's also has done everything rather nicely... without giving people much to complain about. All you can really say is that you don't ilke the art style or find the game boring *shrug* 

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

People can whine all they want it's a solid game plus what mmorpg can you get a lifetime sub .

Yeah the pvp is less than great but it's a great side thing to do when you wanna take a break from Pve abit , plus it's so fun fun playing a Warg or a spider no game has that .

Been playing since beta and still love it , not like some other games i tried .

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Games that don't have a lot of haters get rated high. Games with lots of haters get rated low.

• BurscheBursche Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by natuxatu

Yeah LotRO is solid though nothing worth talking about really. I've been starting to get a little bored with it now that I got into the 30s but I agree that it deserves to be in the top 3.
    As people have said it doesn't generate the hate that WoW has because it's not a trendy fad... but it's also has done everything rather nicely... without giving people much to complain about. All you can really say is that you don't ilke the art style or find the game boring *shrug* 

you are the perfect example for thousends of others. When did you start? 6-7 weeks ago? And already bored...

LOTRO is another wasted license. Nothing more.

• TarkovskyTarkovsky Member Posts: 18

I agree with a lot of the sentiment that it's a very innocuous title; and dodges a lot of bullets because of it. The game was alluring, but mainly for the fact that I really enjoyed the novel. If it wasn't for that pre-established immersion into the world of Middle-Earth via reading, I probably wouldn't have continued to play for longer than a few days. 

I hope in coming years another producer can have their hand at recreating Middle-Earth. It certainly has a vast amount of untapped potentional.

Currently playing : WoW, Dofus.
    Played: LotRO, FFXI, SWG, Guild Wars, Dofus, WoW.

Favorite: FFXI

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

It seems weird to me that in discussion threads on mmorpg.com (or anywhere else that talks about mmorpgs that I've seen) that LOTRO is almost never mentioned when comparing games.  It's always something like:
    "I've tried them all, I've played WoW for a year, AOC, DAOC, and WAR."
    The common denominator is that all those games have a large PVP aspect, whereas LOTRO does not.  Is it that only PVP-oriented mmorpg players are frequent posters on message boards?
    I'm curently subbed to LOTRO and it's a great game up until endgame which gets a little annoying (to me, anyway).  I'm looking for something new, and when I am looking for something new I often end up on mmorpg.com, and I couldn't help but notice this trend.

I can't relate because I see it get mentioned quite a bit in discussions outside of PvP anyways.  The one thing about this game though is it isn't king of the hill unlike WoW so besides the occasional yoyo that has an inherent hatred towards the game for whatever goofy reason it avoids most of the bashing a game like WoW gets.  It also doesn't have the type of issues some other games had so there really isn't a reason to bring it up when talking about games that had huge development, launch, or game mechanic flaws.

It isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but in the whole scheme of things its a fairly well developed game and offers plenty for those to do if they enjoy a themepark oriented game.  Of course, in any discussion relating to PvP Rings isn't going to be mentioned hardly at all because that is one aspect of Rings that is very poorly developed and compared to the games you mentioned Rings PvP feels like an afterthought.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SwiderSwider Member Posts: 1

Hi all,I`m new here and this is my first post.I`m playing LOTRO since pre-order,and never...but NEVER been bored in game,and everything thanks to people around you:) Doesn`t matter is it a normal game or PvMP area:)

This game is just great (no matter from which side you would like to look at that) :)

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The majority of people who play MMOs never post on a forum.

Then people who do use forums but are happy with a game, they go play that game instead of posting.

Also as someone else said LotRO doesn't create all kinds of controversy with changes the way some other games do.

Now of course with a thread like this you will have the people who don't happen to like LotRO so then they say the rating system is a joke anyways. But we all know those people are just sad that their game isn't as good.

Darkfall gets posted about a lot because of how badly all the different parts of the game have been done, from only opening the store for 10 seconds at a time to not opening new servers, etc etc.

WoW gets discussed a lot because it is the largest one out there, and to many people it's the only one they've ever played so they don't know enough about other games to know that WoW wasn't the first in anything it did. Also you have the players who were completly and utterly into WoW since it was their first MMO, and they finally get burned out and then start posting everywhere about how bad the game is now that they're burned out on it.

It all boils down to LotRO does what it does very well, it makes a game it's audience enjoys and doesn't feel the need to post about. It keeps it's players busy and happy so they don't go onto threads about other games and say how LotRO is better. It is just a controversy free, enjoyable, well done game. That simple.