Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the game?

nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208

I've considered trying GW out again. I played it a long time ago before any of the expansions and I thought it was alright. I've since moved onto other MMOs but there is a severe lack of good PvP out there.

My question is simply: what is the state of this game? Is there still a good player base? Is there a good economy? Classes balanced? How is the pvp (do I have to be uberleet to win)? Are there rewards for PvP? How fast can a new player jump into the game and get into the meat of the action?

Thanks

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by nine56
    I've considered trying GW out again. I played it a long time ago before any of the expansions and I thought it was alright. I've since moved onto other MMOs but there is a severe lack of good PvP out there.
    My question is simply: what is the state of this game?
    Is there still a good player base? Yes. Some shitters and retards like always, but overall quite nice.
    Is there a good economy? What's a good economy? Not very into that but I'd say it's not bad at least.
    Classes balanced? Define balanced. If you compare it to a game such as WoW then the answer is yes, but if you by balanced mean perfect balance then not really. The game suffers from some imbalance with a power creep (i.e. more damage than healing) but it's being taken care of, and no other game on the market is even close to GW's balance.
    How is the pvp (do I have to be uberleet to win)? No. The biggest arenas are 8v8 (or 12v12 but then you never really fight 12v12, you spread out) and the smallest 4v4. The PvP is pretty traditional with mostly annihilation, sometimes with another objective as well. I personally love the PvP because of the fact that it's almost only skill involved. The size of the arenas piss some off as they want huge unctrolled battles and GW doesn't offer that, on the other hand it does offer 8v8 controlled fights where tactic and skill is everything...
    Are there rewards for PvP? No substantial, no. You can get some cool emotes to show everyone how cool you are (read: how little life you have), you can also get a gold trim on your Guild cape - but that's only if your guild manages to win versus all the best guilds in GW. This is also along GW's line of having no difference between players except their skill and the build they're running.
    How fast can a new player jump into the game and get into the meat of the action? Depends on what you define as the meat of the action. You can quickly start PvPing in the 4v4 arenas and do some gimmicks of HA, but to truly get into the 8v8 arenas you need a guild to play with. Which isn't very hard to get. In PvE, it all depends on what you (I'm sounding really repetitive now) define as the meat of the action. The storyline and all that I consider to be fun you'll be playing from the start, but then there are Elite Missions that require you to have the correct gear and skills. But that doesn't take very long to get.

Thanks

In the end if you come looking for PvP in GW you'll need all the games since you'll otherwise be lacking some of the essential skills necessary. In the smaller unorganized arenas it won't be recognized if you're using only Prophecies skills, but once you move onto slightly more organized PvP it's impossible to not have all expansions. There's a PvP-pack that unlocks all this for PvP-only characters, don't think it's very expensive either. The problem is that to truly judge GW's PvP you need to give it all a try, everything from the unorganized 4v4 annihilation matches to the very organized 8v8 Guild Versus Guild matches that are so much more than annihilation. My suggestion is to buy the PvP-unlock pack and try it all out, especially trying to get a guild to try it with too.

• nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208

Thank you so much for the elaborate post! I really appreciate it. I'll take a look at the retail price for all three and see what I can do.

• ChodemanChodeman Member Posts: 8

The GvG scene is all but dead imo. There are barely any guilds in the monthly tournys anymore but there is still a decent player base in american random arenas which is pretty fun. But it's correct you will be needing all campaigns to really be decent in pvp because each of them add a key part to the pvp aspect. Alliance battles and competitive missions are also fun if your into that usually just do that with some friends when we are bored.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Doesn't the pvp package give you a choice of any 20 elite skills? If all you do is pvp I would think that the pvp access kit would be enough and you wouldn't need all of the campaigns.

GvG does seem to be lacking now. It takes forever to get into a game. A lot of the other pvp avenues are still happening at a regular rate though.

• ChodemanChodeman Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by arenasb

Doesn't the pvp package give you a choice of any 20 elite skills? If all you do is pvp I would think that the pvp access kit would be enough and you wouldn't need all of the campaigns.
    GvG does seem to be lacking now. It takes forever to get into a game. A lot of the other pvp avenues are still happening at a regular rate though.

Yeah if you don't plan on doing the pve aspect of them the pvp package is fine. I think you get 20 elite skills and some amount of regular skill unlocks. As for gvg my Guild was playing yesterday during around 8:00pm eastern and we didnt have really any problem gettting matches just getting people sometime is difficult.