Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For the Future of Gaming: An MMO Survey

jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

I have created a few surveys for the MMO genre. I am studying game design and am interested in the needs of fellow gamers. This is my first post of these surveys just to see the feedback I recieve. Please answer these questions with an honest opinion, and feel free to make comparisons to games that may have or lack these qualities.

I value your opinion; your comments or suggestions are welcomed.

1. When playing a trial of a game, what do you feel your limits in-game should be?

2. Graphics aren't everything! But do you feel that at first glance, players will be more attracted to a game's graphics than it's features?

3. What are your thoughts on PvE leveling? (grinding and questing)

4. What are your thoughts on forced PvP (to grow in level or rank) vs. casual PvP (PvP at your choosing via battlegrounds or specific PvP areas)?

5. Would/Do you enjoy the option to customize items in-game?

6. What are you thoughts on class balancing? Do you think it hinders class diversity?

7. What is your preference regarding in-game economy (crafting based, loot based, or other)? Explain.

8. Would you rather belong to a faction determined by your race (chosen at beginning of game) or have the ability to choose your faction independently? What is your ideal number of factions in-game?

9. End-game, what options do you enjoy having? What are options you would like to have that other games have not offered?

10. What do you look for in a game's expansion? (adjustments, new content, etc.)

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

1. Trial level cap = 20% of the real level cap. Can't use shout channel, crafting capped at 10% of the maximum level. Nothing else should be limiting me.

2. At first glance, I judge the game by it's graphical style. It's shallow I know, but proves to be quite accurate most of the time (regarding the game's other features).

3. Needs reworking, + possibly new innovations and actual differences between MMO's. Right now it's just bland.

4. forced PvP is fine for PvP-heavy game, for anything else casual PvP.

5. For few mins, then I'd get bored.

6. It's necessary, but I'd focus on buffing weak jobs rather than nerfing strong ones. It might hinder class diversity, but that's okay.

7. I don't really know. I guess everything goes if it's well done. I'd like crafting to be challenging though (not everyone has to be at the maximum level)

8. I want to choose. The ideal number would be 3-4.

9. Competetive PvE, lots of instanced PvE (not just raids/instances; make the events diverse), randomized progressive PvE (climb a 100 floor tall castle with randomized floors, etc.), Missions with epic storyline and cutscenes, and a way to progress my character outside of events and such (like leveling, but you don't get levels). No PvP endgame if possible.

10. New innovations to the core of the game. Not just bigger and better things, something significantly different. No new races... classes instead. Beautiful areas to look at. Storyline.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528

1. When playing a trial of a game, what do you feel your limits in-game should be?

Unable to aquire gold or items (anti-farmer). Unable to chat (anti-spammer).

2. Graphics aren't everything! But do you feel that at first glance, players will be more attracted to a game's graphics than it's features?

I can't speak for other players, but I look for features before graphics.

I like leveling and quests.

4. What are your thoughts on forced PvP (to grow in level or rank) vs. casual PvP (PvP at your choosing via battlegrounds or specific PvP areas)?

It should be one or the other, forced PvP or none at all.

Customize as in stats? yes.  Customize as in looks? no.

6. What are you thoughts on class balancing? Do you think it hinders class diversity?

Balance does not, poorly designed / tested mechanics that lead to fundamental changes do.

7. What is your preference regarding in-game economy (crafting based, loot based, or other)? Explain.

Games based largely on player driven economies have a certain depth that other MMOs could not have.  EVE for example.

8. Would you rather belong to a faction determined by your race (chosen at beginning of game) or have the ability to choose your faction independently? What is your ideal number of factions in-game?

Initial faction by race is fine, but the system should be dynamic.

9. End-game, what options do you enjoy having? What are options you would like to have that other games have not offered?

I typically don't like end game, especially if I got there quickly.  Unless you want to give me the option to advance beyond max at the expense of losing all of my progress, I would probably just move on or make an alt.

10. What do you look for in a game's expansion? (adjustments, new content, etc.)

New areas, the best ones have new continents complete with new racial starting areas.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

i cant see how the future of gaming and this survey are linked. if anything, i'd say this is linked to waste several minutes of my valuable time for nothing

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by arcdevil

i cant see how the future of gaming and this survey are linked. if anything, i'd say this is linked to waste several minutes of my valuable time for nothing

What if he is the chief executive for the next Blizzard's MMO?

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by jjjk29

I have created a few surveys for the MMO genre. I am studying game design and am interested in the needs of fellow gamers. This is my first post of these surveys just to see the feedback I recieve. Please answer these questions with an honest opinion, and feel free to make comparisons to games that may have or lack these qualities.
    7. What is your preference regarding in-game economy (crafting based, loot based, or other)? Explain.

Thanks for the survey, I hope many good ideas can be found in them and actually bring some change (or retrocess, yeah, it can be good too) to future gaming.

1. No interacting with the game economy in any way (auction house, trades, all of them) and unable to chat with any player that does not add you to their friend list, also, you can't send friend requests, you can only receive. This includes no global chatting. 

Limitation of time shouldn't be in RL days but in gameplay hours - something around 5~12 hours should be enough to give you a taste of the game and should be crucial in letting you know what to expect from the game so players can decide on purchasing or not. 

The level and content cap for trial really depends from game to game though so I won't comment on this one.

2. There are way too many MMOs around, my standard is to check the game's graphics in screenshots before even trying it. for its quality and for its art style. I don't mind not being able to play the game in the absolute maximum settings, in fact, I'm used to not being able. I like the feeling that my computer needs an upgrade and it is not perfect. The game must provide me efficient lower graphic options though in this case.

3. Currently, quests are just another form of grinding, they don't change the world or the environment like they should, even you don't get to change anything, whatever you kill just respawns a few seconds later. Yes, even in WoW and Aion. It doesn't mean I hate grinding though, it can even be fun. The new "instant gratification" mentality twists the genre into easy level caps and abominates any game that expects you to play more than a few months to reach the level cap. The concept of level cap in itself is wrong, people believe you can only have fun in the level cap, that is so wrong in my opinion. The game needs to be fun from level 1 to level 9999. It doesn't matter if it takes an year to gain a level as long as it provides you content that is fun. I don't seek instant gratification but instant fun, otherwise what is the point of games?

I look forward what GW2 seeks to accomplish in PvE, they've managed to provide us a fun PvE with the level cap that is reached like after 15% of the game content. I see a possibility they might change the concept of levels in their game.

4. Casual PvP is fun, but there must be also "forced" world PvP. By the way my concept of PvP does not include spawn camping or killing lower level players that have no chance.

Rifts in Aion look like an interesting concept to me, while there is this world forced PvP in the Abyss, you have your own continents that limit the PvP with the rift mechanic, that appear randomly every few hours and limit the number of players that can go through them and the maximum level of these players.

5. What kind of customization? Stats? I do enjoy when the game offers me different options of equipment with many different stats. However I usually see many of them actually not worth it, and players only prefer one or two stats.

Upgrading systems? I also like them, as long as they do not involve the risk of losing your weapon or involve purchasing upgrading stones on the RMT item mall to actually have a chance at higher level upgrading.

Skins? Switching skins from a weapon/armor I like to another one that has the stats I prefer is another great customization I like. 

6. Class balancing is needed otherwise some classes will be prefered over others not because they are fun, but because they are overpowered. Every class must have their pros and cons and must provide unique advantages for group play. Class balancing actually keeps class diversity instead of hindering it, instead of 20 classes in which 15 of them resemble others, I'd prefer to see 8 completely unique classes. Also, the more, the better. It shouldn't be too complex though, the obrigatory parameters for group playing should be very small to allow diversity.

7. I'd prefer an economy fully based on crafting. Monsters, quests will only provide materials and money. Stop with this idea I must farm a same monster 100 times to get a specific weapon, this turns endgame into an annoying (and necessary) repetitive farm of the latest content. Each player chooses very few main crafting skills (the ones that actually create equipment), very few secondary crafting skills (the ones that make consumables, one-use items) and also very few material collecting skills.

The economy is mainly centralized, with certain NPCs acting as intermediates. This idea comes from Guild Wars NPC traders, that purchase and sell your items at a price according to demand and offer (it is still very profitable to sell directly to other players, but those who don't want to spend hours looking to sell their items shouldn't need to do so, just lose profit).

This turns the game basically immune to direct RMT inflation. Sure it will exist, it just shouldn't hurt those that don't want in any way to use it.

8. Let me choose my faction, I hate the fact that I must limit my race selection because my guild decides to play a faction that I dislike its race options. Number of factions? 3 or more. Two is so "evil vs good" and direct, I'd prefer diversity in there, especially so diplomacy can take place - alliances, wars, all this kind of changes. There must exist ways to balance the sides though that is controled by NPCs. Faction A has 50% active players, B has 25%, C has 20% and D 5%. B, C and D will ally themselves to fight against A as long as this balances things.

9. Endgame, the temporary end of road that is the loop point for content while new content is being developed. As mentioned before, I seek instant fun, not instant gratification. I don't mind endless repeating of a dungeon, as long as it is always different. I don't want to have a very "hard" dungeon that is only doable after 100 fails that allow us to learn all of the skills used by the enemies so I could write and prepare myself for every encounter in there. I'm not a robot, I want to be surprised, my fun is in seeing new things even if they are just variations. This idea of hard I mentioned before is retarded in my opinion.

My concept of hard endgame is the one that requires quick adaptation from players while being very challenging. Repeating endgame like machines turn people into idiots (or allow idiots to play the endgame), especially when we are talking about the ones that did not develop a strategy for the encounter, they merely read the how-to-play made by the ones that have done it and repeat. 

Less gear farming to have a chance and more "player-skill" based endgame, please. By player skill I mean that thing that makes a player win a fight another player with the same gear, stats, level, etc, and no, that's not luck on crits and weapon procs. A game needs to provide room for that.

10. In expansions I see only new features, either vertically (getting stronger, bigger numbers, more levels, new areas for these) or horizontally (new races, new professions, new lower-level skills, new lower-level zones, new crafting skills, etc). Adjustments are a consequence.

I feel sad when I look at content that has been killed by expansions. Dungeons like Vanila WoW's 40-Man instances and TBC 25-man harder instances. They existed because they were the previous endgame, so they required a repeating and a hard factor people will just skip. So why not make them easier, either by giving players tools to make them easier, by reducing the difficulty or by reducing the repetition factor before you reap rewards? 

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

1.) No limit, To get the real feel of the game. i hate the trials where you can get to only level 10 or 20, and it only gets fun at like level 30 or 40

2.) Lets be Modern, none of the bullcrap 2-D crap that's is out, but most definatly the features.

3.) I love Questing, and a little grinding, it has to be a good mix of both. and the quests can't take 10 years to complete, it will lose my interest quickly.

4.) I love the way PvP was in SWG pre-CU, i want in more games. if you were Overt, you could fight anyone anywhere, of the opposing faction, constantly on your toes.

5.) i love customizeable items, Colors, Detail, All great features.

6.) I Don't Care how much you try and keep classes balanced, it won't happen. Ever.

7.) I like the idea of  Auction house/bazaar, being able to sell items to other players, loot and crafted, loot and crafted items should't be binded to one char till it is worn either.

8.) I like being able to chose my faction later in the game, not determined by race, i like the idea of 2 or 3 Main factions, and sub factions that can neutral or on either side of the main factions.

9.) I dislike most endgame, cause, there is really nothing to do anymore. i look for being able to work for things even after endgame or having stuff to do that isn't repeditive.

10.)Fixes, Content, Adjustments,, it depends on what you're talking about,

• SuseDosSuseDos Member Posts: 7

1. Trial of game should be with unlimited content, but limited game time to 1-2weeks.

2. Graphics do attract more at first glance, It does not mean the graphics need to be detailed, but beautiful.

3. I hate grinding and games which gives your experience from kills and not from the skills you use. Questing is fun if the quests are not "Kill 10 and get reward and new quest kill 30"

4. Forced pvp is exciting, but there is times you should be able to disable your forced pvp.

5. Customizable items are fun, when you can make your own weapons.

6. Classes itself hinder the diversy of them.

7. Crafting and loot based economy, balanced. Awesome!

8. I want to choose my faction myself.

9. I'm not sure if i want to tell my end game ideas. :P

10. New playable areas! New content!

• Predator160Predator160 Member Posts: 128

(You value my opinion? Awesome! Finally someone does! :D )

NO limits for the game its self...only limits on how long I should be allowed to play (i.e 14 day free trial)

The only thing that bothers me with graphics is if they are WAY outdated say ...10 years or so outdated. I think all mmo's should have their graphics engine updated every so often.

Gameplay > Graphics (ALWAYS!!!)

To answer the question more directly...YES i think graphics will intrigue people...enough so that they may be willing to overlook a flaw in the game mechanics simply because the game is aesthetically pleasing. (I personally try not to judge a book by it's cover)

PvE leveling doesn't have to be all to interesting...

I like how in WoW your never in one zone to long but your always changing to new environments and fighting new monsters every 5 levels or so.

PvP should never be the MAIN focus of a game... the main focus should be around leveling but with pvp on the side

however I like when players have the option to gank someone when they are questing or exploring and such...

(ex. Pvp servers for EQ or Pvp servers for WOW)

Sure why not :D

I think all classes should be the best at one thing...say mages are the best at long range dps...rogues are best at burst melee dps etc...

yes i think it can hinder class diversity

7. What is your preference regarding in-game economy (crafting based, loot based, or other)? Explain.

the economy should be a mix of crafting and loot based

I'd rather belong to a faction pre determined at the beginning of the game.

end game needs to have some kind of reward like a Mount or a House...

also there needs to be some kind of organized pvp like Arena

i expect new type of armor, weapons, lands, abilities...maybe an increased level cap

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

I didnt ask you to criticize.  But thanks to those that replied.

• joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163

I should be able to play until I'm drawn in. If the game is fun and the demo is designed the right way, then I should be eager to sub by the end of the demo. Pretty simple.

Yes. I think there should be a good balance of gameplay/features and graphics. The graphics technology should support the level of detail that a team of good artists can create. The designers really need to think about the overall style of the game, not so much about individual objects and character models. Players love nice animations and special effects as well because it makes their character seem alive. When starting to develop for a game, you should use the latest graphics tech with all the bells and whistles because by the time your game is released, the graphics tech will be behind a bit. Develop for hardware that will be available about 2 to 3 years out.

People call combat 'grinding' because it gets repetitively boring. If you're going to have combat in your game (not all games need killing you know?), then combat needs to be interesting. Killing 10 rabbits that are all grouped in the same area is not fun (anymore). How about you make it more real? Maybe infuse a little stealth and puzzle solving, along with some non lethal tactics to complete an objective, rather than the numbers killed? Hmm, what a concept!

I always thought that 'choosing' to play pvp was like entering a sporting event. Now you've given me a completely different feeling about the world. Now it's a world that enjoys a fighting challenge. What I would rather see and feel, is the need to survive. I want to be in a place where I always need to be on my toes. A place where I need to look over my shoulder every now and then. But does that mean that the gameworld needs to be an all-for-one, one-for-all deathmatch? No! PvP should always be in the world, but there should be some serious considerations that one has to make before attacking another player.

Yes! I would like the ability to customize everything! Why wouldn't I? In fact, I'd go so far as wanting to customize my character's face because he/she does get old. ;) Seriously, I would like to customize my char, my clothes, upgrade my weapons, etc, etc. Because all of that makes me unique in the world, and that's what mmos are all about. Persistence, change, and being different from everyone else.

I like class based games, because it gives everyone a role to play. On the other hand, I've played games where you can play different roles. So it's really about how you want players to live and survive in the world. If you're encouraging a group-based game (which I do not recommend), then unique classes is more important. On the other hand, if you're supporting a single-player experience as well, then skill is really what's important. My recommendation: focus on skills rather than class.

This is a touchy subject for me because of my style of playing. I'm sure there are tons of people who love to craft and trade. Personally, I find all of that incredibly boring and not worth my time. I haven't found many games where the loot/item system worked very well anyway. Most games, I'd pick up stuff I can't use and lug it around until I sold it. Seems pointless. What I would rather see is more skills. Why do I care about swords and shields if I have powers that do the same thing but better? ;) On the other hand, you could be creating an WWII mmo, and in that case, just let me purchase items based on the money I get from successful missions (i.e. the focus should be on the adventures, not the auction house). ;)

I think it should be like a real world. You should be thrown into the world with no say as to what race you are. :) You should be able to choose your path as you play. Race should be more about pride and representing your people and not so much an advantage that you think you may have over other races. I mean, the whole idea is to defeat evil or be evil. The race shouldn't matter.

I don't think there should be an end game. I think your character should have the opportunity to rise to the top, or sink to the bottom. It should be all about your social connections and how you play the game, and NOT how fast you play the game.  Imagine a game with ranks and no levels, and then someone being able to take away your rank. You see, no end game needed. Now you have to prove yourself and work your way back up, or maybe become traitor and spy for another group who's interested in something that your group has. ;)

More areas, more missions, more skills, added features that suit the game, etc, Actually, after 4 years or so, I'd like to see a major graphics update. It's almost like a thank you gift to your subscribers. Eve did that and I think that was a wonderful gesture.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

1. 10% of game content.

2. Nice graphic helps but its the game mechanics that attract you to play the game. Its more important that the game has a distinctive look rather than super graphics.

3. Its important that people dont feel railroaded but at the same time they always feel there is something fun and constructive to do.

4. PvP is more fun when you enter a battle area and is kept out of PvE. But it musn't be too structured. The greatest fun of PvP is that you never know what is going to happen and fixed objective and fixed number battlegrounds take this away from PvP.

5. Well any customization is nice. Its more important that you have the oportunity to look individual and unique than what attributes there are on items.

6. All classes should have an area and focus where the excel and are better than any others. But classes must never be designed so they are a must to have with you in order to access game content. Also developers need to use 4 dimensional spreadsheets when creating balance in group content.

7. Crafted gear should be as good as drops. Thats the best way to create a thriving economy and it opens up the game for more types of gamers.

8. Factions should be determined by choices at character creation, with races and nationality and you should not be able to communicate with people of other factions.

9. PvP that allow player growth and it should also affect the overall game through faction bonuses based on success of your side. Slow personal growth apart from lvls that is NOT based on items but personal special abilities, growth that can be achived both by solo, group or raid size play.

10. New options, new areas and customizations. NEVER EVER lvl increases because that makes a lot of content already in the game redundant and limits the endgame size dramatically.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

only a level cap, about 20% of the total level.  I dislike it when i can't try out features when i am on a trial.

other players? i suppose.  Not me, i get used to/adapt to new styles/graphics and don't really care about graphics.

atm it is far too dull and boring.  I would rather see longer quests which allow for more option (e.g rescue the prisoner in the tower and hint at killing the orcs guarding it rather than make it individual quests to kill the orcs and rescue the prisoner.  It allows for far more options in my eyes).  Also grinding can be made far more meaningful if mobs reacted to the grinding (clear a camp and it might not return or it might grab friends to help defend against you, or destroy a camp and you stop raids on a village allowing it to grow)

eh, dont mind either way too much.  I dislike forced if there are problems with noob ganking.

yes, the more the better.  All MMO's should implement an outfit system like Lotro has, it adds to the customisation and immersion

ugh, Balancing should be SEPARATE for PvE and PvP.  Skills should be separate so that PvE isn't affected by the stupid nerfs/buffs.  Balancing is usually a never ending stupid cycle because people decide that a cloth healer should be able to take on an armour plated warrior in 1v1 (it doesn't happen in RL, or the lore...why should it happen ingame?)

crafting easily.  Only because i would rather see more non combat MMO content (why do we ALWAYS have to advance by killing things?)

i don't mind...if its the former then the lore needs to be strong and i need to actually feel like i should be fighting those racial enemies.  Ideal number is 4+ (allows for more choices for the players)

a huge range of content should be available.  Instances, quests, events, crafting, exploring...ect

new content...always.  Usually new lands (as i grow tired of lands quickly and i love to see what new zones the devs add in the expansions

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

I think the time limit of 7/14/30/n days should be enough.

Many will, but I guess there are also people like myself who would prefer Arx Fatalis over quite a few shiny new pseudo RPGs anytime.

Questing is fine, as long as it doesn't become a chore. As soon as there are dozens of frigging exclamation marks above the peoples' heads (and all over the map) it gets a chore for me personally. I somehow feel like I have to work off that list. Besides most of the quests are utter garbage, that is entirely pointless.
    I would like it more, if the game was not quest but actually story driven and that more in the way of a classical RPG.

I like open pvp with a choice like in Neocron. There you had open pvp, could attack/kill anyone anytime anywhere. There were guards in the cities to enforce a little order, which would be occasionally 'pwned' by players themselves, though. Anyway, there you had the choice to pvp or not. Everyone started with an implant named 'Law Enforcment Chip' because of which you could not be attacked (or healed) by other players. When you felt you were strong enough to survive you could simply take out the implant and kill and loot other players or can be killed and looted of course.
    I liked that. Battlegrounds suck by the way. I'm all the way for open pvp.

Yes I would, but not before at least the character customization is at a decent level so that not everyone looks the same.

That may very well be. I think that team balance is more important than the balance of the single classes among themselves.

Both. I don't like pure loot based game such as WoW where you are basically worthless as a crafter. Ok crafting in WoW sucks anyway. To explain what I meant with both now, I once again have to mention Neocron. Neocron's economy was pretty much player driven (crafting based).
    You could buy items from NPCs and some mobs would also drop weapons and stuff like that. However these weapons were inferior. So if you wanted to have a really good weapon/armor/whatever you would have to find a researcher first who would make a blueprint of your desired item. Then after that you had to find a good constrcutor, there you could really make yourself a name and there were a few server-known crafters. You then had to give the constructor the blueprint (usually at least 3) and the necessary parts and then you had a good weapon.
    Now there were also rare weapons. But unlike normal weapons whose parts you could buy in stores, for those you needed rare parts. And that was the loot based component. For rare parts you had to fight quite strong mobs which dropped the rare parts. For each weapon there were distinct rareparts which you had to find before you could build it.
    So it was crafting based and loot based at the same time.

The latter. It should be at least 3 factions, the more the merrier.

Conquest of the world. Again like in Neocron where you could conquer parts of the world map, that is Outposts, Factories and the like, which would also provide you with certain boni for example for your crafters.
    That really depends on the game and the state it is in. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by altairzq

The CEO at Blizzard would commision a study. This guy is is the CEO of the latest F2P(RMT) grinder at best. :)

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

I don't think there should be any limits aside from the time the trial ends.

Yes, graphics will draw you in, but I won't get truly excited until I see some sort of footage of gameplay.  Even then I need details of what is in the game.

I'm tired of the current form of PvE leveling.  It's extremely boring after you've done it in multiple games (same exact thing in most MMOs).  Leveling up and doing quests isn't as engaging as a single player game, and I feel it should be.  Leveling up should not feel like work, but it does in the current state of MMOs.

I love PvP and will not play a game without it anymore (unless the PvE is on par with single player games). I have no problem with forced PvP.  I did love the fact that you could level through PvP in WAR, but most people leveled through PvP in Scenarios (battlegrounds).  This was caused by the horrible choice to split zones in half with mountains, making it difficult to get to enemy territory.  I prefer when all players share the same zones, so enemies run into each other.  EXP through PvP is a great idea, and should be implemented into more MMOs.

Of course.  There just isn't enough REAL customization in MMOs.  I always thought it would be cool if you could truly craft in game.  I'm not a fan of the current crafting systems.  It would be nice if crafters could actually be creative.  I know Second Life allows people to create 3d models, scripts, etc and upload them to the game, which is cool... but for the average gamer, it's too much work. 

If devs can create in game apps for crafters that are pretty simple to use, but allows you to be creative, that would be great.  For example, something similar to photoshop (simplified), but designed specifically for people to design armor using premade pieces, and designs.  You could combine  premade pieces together to make something unique.  By pieces, I don't mean Helm, Body, Shoulders, etc, but the actual tiny pieces that make up one part of an armor set.

As for food and potions, it would be nice if crafters could create their own recipes with dual or triple effects.

Class balancing is a must since I like PvP.  It would be great if devs could create balanced classes from the beginning, but I haven't seen it done yet.  I would prefer a system where you could create your own class, but I hear this still causes cookie cutter specs.  If only devs could create spells/attacks that are all good and worth getting. 

I'm not really sure about the economy.  I don't play MMOs to be a merchant.  If we are strictly talking about loot drops, then the current system is ASS!  I'm sick and tired of picking up a bunch of crap items.  I would much rather have nothing but worthy items dropped.  I would rather wait longer for worthwile items to drop instead of getting 100 pig ears that I can't use to craft, throw at people, or even sell on the AH.  Basically, if I can't sell it at the AH or use it myself, it shouldn't drop. 

Crafting should allow players to make money.  There is nothing worse than a useless crafting system.  What's the point of crafting if you only use 1% of what you can make?  Most of the crafted armor or weapons in the games I've played suck, and really they shouldn't. 

I have only played 3 MMOs seriously.  That's FFXI, WoW, and WAR.  FFXI did allow you to choose your faction independently (if I remember correctly.  It's been so long, but I remember being a Taru and choosing Bastok), but it really didn't matter since it wasn't a PvP game.  So I have no real experience with being able to choose your faction.  I think it would be cool, but I could see this being a problem for small guilds. 

It would be nice if there was so many things to do in the game, that there was no endgame.  That's definitely not the case at the moment.  If I had to choose my options out of the current pick of games, I would have to say various types of PvP.  I wouldn't consider this end game, but I would like to see good mini games within the MMO.  Something you can do when you just want to fool around and chat. 

I would also like to see many hidden areas.  I mean, so many that it would take forever to get a list going on an online database.  I'm not really into exploring in MMOs because there is usually nothing to explore.  If you follow all the quests, you will have saw almost everything in the world.  I want to be able to find places that most people won't know exist.  I want to be questing and see a little crack in the mountain side (or something) and decide to see if I can go through it, and finding out I can, then seeing that there is a path that might lead to somewhere else. 

Of course these areas should have some sort of benefits.  Maybe hidden treasures, named mobs, a great area for crafting items, etc.  Maybe even just a beautiful view.  It's nice to stumble across something unexpected. 

I know very PvE of me... =P

More areas, more missions, more skills, added features that suit the game, etc, Actually, after 4 years or so, I'd like to see a major graphics update.  << Pretty much agree with that.

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

No trial level cap. No class/race restrictions or anything like that. I think there should be a global/zone/trade chat etc. restriction I  think they should have another player add them to their friends list before being able to send tells. The mail system should be restricted unless some sort of quest device or reward is received from it.

I do think it matters for the graphics to be somewhat relevant and not archaic for the casual gamer when choosing a new MMO. However, I feel the art style is more important to all players. Ex:  The Chronicles of Spellborn, though dated, has one of if not the best art style I have ever seen in an MMO.

While I feel pure grinding requires too much of an emphasis on group play which takes time to form for players without connections, I  feel that the solo friendly nature of quest-based MMOs have really hurt the social and group aspects of MMOs. Quest-based MMOs also always make the player out to be a big hero. I preferred the older MMOs who didn't make you out from level 1 to be a huge hero in the world. I feel that the leveling process of quest-based MMOs isn't long enough, but the trade-off is having a higher quality story-telling experience.

That said, I feel that after playing Wrath of the Lich King, quest-based leveling can accomplish far more than just giving you the mere perception that you're not grinding when you really are. Some of the interactive elements, diversity and story-telling have really brought the quest-based leveling to a new level IF  Blizzard would include the quests such as bombing runs, driving a steam tank, leading minions into assaulting a troll village and the one to two major zone quest lines to make up 50% or more of the quests. Sure, you're giving up time playing your actual class on one hand, but you're also avoiding the monotony of grinding. Those types of quests were amazing in  WotLK, but weren't numerous enough.

It's all relevant to the MMO at hand. I don't see a future for MMOs without at least some sort of meaningful PvP, but I don't believe there are enough PvP focused players out there to throw forced PvP  at them in an MMO that isn't designed from the ground up for it.

Yes, I believe too many MMOs rely on gear that can't be altered through custom stats, dyes and different styles. Also, I believe there shoulld be more ways to personalize a weapon or piece of armor to your playstyle.

I  think it only hinders class diversity if the developers made a mistake on the class in the first place. Many classes that didn't turn out how the developers expected end up being shoved into the same roles of another class for one reason or another. The main example being hybrid classes. Aside from that, it's mandatory for PvP based MMOs unless there's something like 30+ classes or so. I don't heave a problem with it.

I find MMOs whose main source of gear that come from crafting are boring as  I  detest focusing on crafting. That said, loot-based MMOs tend to pidgeon hole crafting into a supplementary role, which defeats the purpose of having certain kinds of crafting. I suppose I don't have an opinion on preference.

Either is fine because certain MMOs require forced factions to fit with the story. Also, player chosen factions are likely doomed to player number imbalances. I think if the player chooses a faction in an MMO, then it shouldn't be so impactful of a decision that you suddenly find yourself at opposing sides of another faction making choosing a faction the most important choice you can make in an MMO.

While playing WoW spoiled me into expecting a carrot on a string, loot-driven end-game, I believe that it's simply too restricting of options. I prefer more open-ended, player driven end-game content because it avoids the monotony of doing the same thing and striving for the same goal every day you play after reaching max level.

New content is the obvious one here. New places to explore is the number one expectations in an expansion. New abilities and tweaking of old abilities are very important to keep classes interesting.  The story should always remain relevant to the story prior to the expansion rather than giving you an entirely new story separated from past stories. For gear based games, gear is also another obvious choice. I  also believe new features that ease certain features into more approachable territories should be important as well.

• darkrain5darkrain5 Member Posts: 53

* a time limit , in GAMETIME. then you can realy try out the game because level based stops you way to fast in most cases . and 3 days stops casuel players to try it out .
    * keep char when you buy the game
    I like the feel more then the look , when you start the controlls need to be smooth en no wrong grafics. they don't have to be super good but smooth and fun to see/play
    why level ? build up skills is more fun then just levels (toget skills) and they need to let you pick skills. all mobs are the same level but you can't defeat the next zones mobs without better skills
    pvp games / pve games :)
    yes! nothing more irritating then looking bad :)
    with skills to pick everybody has the same options , so their no balacing betwean people
    crafter and loot based. I loved the swg system were you needed loots but also crafters
    factions but the abilitie to switch , 3
    pvp that changes the world ! can take villanges and make it your own but without the town you lose stuff ( ability to buy items)
    new zones , more gear , better content , more more more

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

1. A trial should give a good impression about what the game will be, though it is obvious every game will try to give a good first impression. The specific limits that are acceptable depend upon the game itself.

2. Graphics are an important part of the game experience. There are definitely games that are too ugly for me to consider. EQ1, for example, is just too outdated. And one of the main parts of the fun of playing Oblivion is its excellent graphics, esp with fanmods.

Other than that, players usually inform themselves about game features from some kind of written source, such as game magazines. They only contain static pictures which usually dont tell too much about the actual game experience.

3. Best would be no grinding at all. Leveling should be through exploring the game and solving interesting quests, not by killing one and the same mob for hours and hours and hours and hours. If you have to have grinding, at least make it diverse and a bit more interesting, such as having to kill different mobs.

4. PvP should have a meaning and should be an integrated game element. I am all for disallowing PvP in normal game situations alltogether and reserve it for special events, such as castle sieges, an arena, guild/alliance wars etc.

5. I certainly prefer having my character equipped with unique and selfdesigned items, versus every character wearing exactly the same equipment.

6. Err. An unbalanced game will obviously either lead people to all avoid the underpowered classes, or even leave the game in frustration. In the first case there will be classes that are superflous, in the second your game will be a lot less successful. So obviously balancing classes is not optional, but vital.

What your question implies is that every class should perform equally well in every situation, and that is of course not the goal of balancing classes. It is perfectly OK if classes have specific advantages, as long as they have also corresponding disadvantages as a counterbalance.

What I also think is that every class should have PvE mobs that work especially well, and mobs that are especially awful to handle. So for example a paladin would be especially efficient against undead and demons, but perform very poorly against angelic entities. Or a sorcerer might be able to kill mobs from a distance, but some mobs have ranged weapons, or can reflect magic, etc.

7. Creating an item should be a long quest involving many sources, including various drops, quest items, special ingredients from the market, and player crafters. Every player character should be able to pick up a crafter class, of which there should be many different ones.

Crafters are mainly focussed on attaining some initial status, then finding recipes. Finding recipes should require a guild effort. Too, every crafter can only learn a subset of all recipes.

No crafter class should be able to function on its own alone, but will require materials from other crafter classes to finish its items. Also, every crafter should be unique in respect to the strengths and weaknesses of the items he creates.

8. I am a big hater of any faction grinds. It is perfectly OK that a darkelf has trouble entering highelf territory. But the solution should be a long and interesting quest chain to get a diplomatic status, not endless killing until a counter reaches some number and boom, now you're considered an ally. Pfft. The darkelf should never be considered an ally.

I am also a big hater of race based PvP a la DAoC. I want to be able to create characters of all races, and I dont want attack other players for, heavens forbid, having chosen the "wrong" race.

PvP should occur between player groups, where the group size is the alliance, i.e. a number of guilds that cooperate with each other. It is only possible to attack players of other alliances who are at war with your own alliance.

9. The so-called "endgame" should either not be present at all (unlimited levels) or very hard to reach. Raids should occur on all levels (well, or at least after the newbie levels are done) and the resulting drops should be a necessary ingredient to create your own (unique) items as described under (7).

10. I prefer no game expansions. New contend should just be added over time.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

1. When playing a trial of a game, what do you feel your limits in-game should be?   A level cap or time limit is fine.

The reason I stopped playing EQII and went to WoW was because EQ was ugly, and WoW was - artistically - beautiful and very interesting.  Graphics will make a lot of people at least try the game.  From a marketing perspective, I don't care how good your product is, if you can't get people to try it, it's going to sit on the shelf. Attractiveness of the packaging is extremely important.

IMO, the concept of leveling your character as a function of "how much time you have to play the game" is an outdated idea. People don't have long attention spans any more, and most adults just don't have that kind of time to invest in any kind of grinding or hours of grouping/raiding.  Also, it doesn't make any sense that your character in a virtual realm is dependent upon your presence to advance;  nor does it make any sense that casuals should pay the same as hardcore raiders, but get to experience much less of the game.  MMOGs in the future shouldn't be second jobs.  Offline advancement is a better model for long-term subscriptions from a casual playing base. There are only so many hardcore raiders out there.

Casual PvP. 

Item customization should be part of lateral content that allows all sorts of deep game customization for the character.  Players should have access (as part of their lateral developmet) to design mods where they get to design their own patterns for virtually everything in the game.

Class balancing is an artifact of the group/raid endgame model.  That  model should be done away with for some future games and players should be allowed by game mechanics to develop over time any kind of character they wish, regardless of how overpowered or pitiful it is. Let's look at it this way: with offline advancement of character traits, if a player realizes his particular combination of melee and magic skills aren't very effective and he/she keeps getting killed, they train (ofline) in physical fitness for while and raise their health to the point where they can survive, then study in some more productive or effective combat strategy.

I think the economy should be driven by player innovation - i.e., access to mods (through pursuite of lateral content quests and offline study) that give them the tools to create item designs, the templates of which can be sold and used once by a crafter to create the item.  While looting should bring money into a character's possession, players should also be able to set their characters to earn money while they are offline through another branch of lateral character development.

One should be a member of a faction at birth, and be able to be a member of several non-competing factions, but there should also be competing factions where you have to choose just one or the other.

There shouldn't be an end game; the game should be about UNLIMITED DEVELOPMENT of charcter and game content over time.

Most expansions are centered around extending the "end game" - new, high-level  areas for powergaming raiders to fight and gain the new top-end rewards. 90%of most games end up being ghost towns where powergamers are leveling up alts and a few casuals are finding out that they don't have a chance.  This is why I think games should be entirely restructured away from deliberately capping character development to serve end-game "roles" for their class, and should move to a wide-open character advancement system based on an offline study/training model.

For example, if a character is very strong when it comes to fighting mobs, he/she will generally be fighting in a certain area in the game. Let's say that now they wish to start training in cleric spells to further augment their battle capacity; well, they first have to go to the lowest-level cleric trainer and get his Cleric 101 study materials. After a few minutes of study, they gain more than enough cleric experience to gain their first set of spells. They take those spells and the instructor tells them that they need to practice those spells before they can move on, so please go heal the sick children in the hospital ... this capacity to laterally advance one's character will keep all levels full of characters as they pursue verious combinations of combat, crafting, and professional skills and other content.

What content will be focused on is not adding "end-game" content per se, but they could develop all-new customization mods and abilities, and all-new lines of study that could be implemented within the current structure of the game, in the same areas, by NPCs already  present. Of course new lands and new mobs could be introduced, but this system of unlimited lateral development would free developers up to create new low-level areas as well.  Without end-game class balancing, developers can throw in any imaginable line of crafting or combat skills or abilities, and add all sorts of deep branching talents in all areas of character development.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Cant whisper, cant invite others to group, cant trade in AH. Maybe a level cap of 20...

Definately, the animation of a chrac is very important, the way it moves the way it fight etc... And a beautiful world will definately capture a player instantly...

I dont mind the questing and abit of grinding in a pve game, as long as the stories is interesting and the quest really have an effect on the world...

I prefer choices. No game should ever force you to do anything...

Of course, the option to be able to mix and match and come up with a new thing is a big plus...

Its very difficult to balance classes, and the constant nefs or buffs will only make players more frustrated. I would suggest let the players know in advace that the class in the game will be like scissors, paper, stones. Though you can fight back, but its better to use tactics or enviroment to help you against a stronger class, rather than facing them head to head...

I like both, as long as there's no bop items, so players can make more money by selling items that other group of players somehow cant aquire... Maybe make the players that only wanted to buy epics grind for something, like exalted with certain fractions before they can wear...

Personally i  prefer to know from the begining who i belong, i believe the community will be closer together rather than half way down the road a few of the players that you love to play with suddenly deflect to the other side..

I would love to have more mmo to implement PQ and solo instances,  but if they can do without end-game than it will be better...

New class, new world that is not too distance from the old, additions to old contents, improvement of graphics like enviroment and combat animations to old contents, and i dont mind the increase of level cap...

Blessing

RIP Orc Choppa

• goldfish35goldfish35 Member UncommonPosts: 9

I am fine with whatever fits the game (be it a lv cap or timed period) but please disable the 'global chat or shout or whatever you call it, i do not want my chat window filled with goldselling spams.

Well, nowdays you NEED to have decent graphics if you want to catch people attention.But gameplay is more important for the longterm run,if you give me a pretty game but with empty content i'll rather go surf youtube.

Please no more grinding-hell and i am so sick of those 'grab me 10 rat tails and i'll give u 100 gold' type of quest.Actually WOW did a preety good job with quest as some quest actually links to other quests and botherd to have a actually story behide the quest,and with the expanisons they actually have some quest that is actually fun to do.

I would perfer an open-ffa-pvp world but please have some way to protect the newbies so they don't get ganked at the beginner zone by some bored 12yrs old kids.AND pls NO NO instanced battleground.

Yes i would be happy to be able to customize my item because i don't want to look excatly the same with some other 12 dozen guys of the same lv.

Don't have much to say about class balance but it should not hinder class diversity.

I would like it to be craft base.Reason being the same one as Question 5.And also do not want to see some guy not being accpected in a group just because he don't have the 'Uber sword of l33t' which only drop from a uber raid boss.

I would like to choose my faction rather than being birth-detemined, and i actually would like to see a game with unlimited factions in game. yea it sounds abit crazy but imagin the ever-lasting war and conflicts and chaos,and make those factions destoryable by may be require them to have a captial city and if the city's destoryed so is you faction,and all whos once belonged to that faction will have to either join another or form their own new one.

A game should not be all about end-game but also make it enjoyable from the very begining.End-Game is actually a very wrong concept because it'll just cause everyone to rush to the end.

Nothing special about this one, maybe new race, new skill, new class, new content...but please don't make me pay for the expansions (yay i know i'm a cheap bastard)

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Scot

The CEO at Blizzard would commision a study. This guy is is the CEO of the latest F2P(RMT) grinder at best. :)

I take you haven't seen Brubaker...

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

1. None, let the trial really show what is available in the game.

2. Some yes but I think more and more are looking at features over bouncing boobs.

3. It is what it is, without having the journey the end means very little. I think the journey needs to take a lot longer, being able to max your character out in a couple several weeks it just to damn fast. But their needs to be many more mini mile stones to keep people interested to keep the dreaded grind away. The idea of a single experience level being it is out dated. Quests are so over done.

4. Forcing anything is a bad idea, but their needs to be a sense of achievement for those that live for pvp. Battle grounds are a good tool for casual pvpers and I think pvp areas with castles, keeps, forts ect. are a great concept that needs to be expanded on.

5. Yes unfortunately most current mmos are not very customizable. Everyone is a clone of everyone else.

6. Classes like everything should have pros and cons less we have everyone running around as a tank mage.

7. Crafting/loot base hybrid. If you put to much emphasis on crafting you put off the people that don’t enjoy crafting. Then to make them happy the crafting system is made easy so everyone can do it. Crafting to max level should be like leveling your character to max a journey.

8. I’d rather choose my own faction. As far as ideal number there really isn’t a magic number. I would say more then we currently see but not so any that there ends up being only a handful of people in each faction.

9. Endgame should be about variety not this funnel type design we currently have.

Raids: Current raids in mmo are pretty decent. Them being it for endgame and character progressing at endgame is pretty sad.

Crafting: WTH can’t crafters eventually make legendary items? I can not understand why crafting has been completely left out of endgame.

Housing: Housing could be a great end game distraction from AoC guild towns pvp and pve defend your town against players or npcs (good in concept but not enough individuality), UOs customizable houses, Horizons need to actually build your own or someone else’s house,

Epic story driven quest (solo & group).

Battlegrounds for casual pvpers.

PvP areas where people fight for control of land that has true meaning.

Large group crafting projects like Horizons.

To name just a few.

10. New content, classes and races.

• RamenThief7RamenThief7 Member Posts: 362

1. The limits should be enough that I get enough fun out of the experience, and since I'm hooked, I"ll sign up to play the full real deal.

2. Graphics do help grab appeal to a game if they're good. But in my opinion the features are the most important.

3. I have no problem with PVE, I grew up on mmorpgs that had heavy grinding involved. I hate quests that feel like fixed chores, but I love quests that are always changing. An idea I have is where you have multiple NPCs, and after a quest is finished, they automatically have a new one (the quests change randomly, so there's no fixed "this happens" and then "that happens next," in other words you can't predict what you'll get next). To explain this better, look at the online modes of Killzone 2. If you wanted, you can create a game room that has multiple scenerios in it. So in one game, you start out as part of the Helghast, and the first scenerio is that you have to protect two objects from the enemy C4-ing them to death. Now, in this example, you and your team failed. Radec (the one issuing you orders) is pissed, and he wants revenge. So how to solve that? Simple, Radec now issues a new scenerio, body count, which is basically team deathmatch. Your team wins in this case, and Radec is pleased, but the ISS is not. A new scenerio pops up, Assassination, and your team has to protect the target (one of the people on the team, and you could be it). Seem like the ISS didn't like losing alot of men earlier, so they're going to try to get even by killing an important member on your team (this is just ingame story scenerio, the important person is just a random guy). See how this goes? Imagine quests being like this. You could have a king as an npc that wants people to go kill a dragon causing havoc on a fort, and will reward you based on how much damage you deal to the dragon. But, there's a time limit, and everyone better hurry before that dragon levels the fort. In this example, everyone fails, and the dragon gets away. The King is furious, and wants that dragon gone. Now, a new quest pops up. The King wants you once again to kill the dragon, but you first have to locate its home cave. But it's not easy, because no one knows where it is (literately, so now everyone has to go out to the many caves on the map and start hoping they get lucky). Quests like these would be awesome.

4. Both types of pvp are fine with me, as long as the pvp is balanced and has a few safely elements attached (example: level restrictions).

5. I love customizing item in-game, but mostly because I'm making it more valuable when I sell it.

6. I think classes should be more diverse. Balanced classes take away the fun of the job of your class.

7. I like in-game economies in which you can craft items to sell or pick up loot and sell (or customize the loot first then sell it for a more generous price).

8. I believe factions should be chosen independently. That way, factions get more diverse abilities rather than being stuck with already determined strengths and weaknesses by the race supporting it.

9. I like end game systems in which you end up fighting an extremely powerful boss. Look at FFVII for a good example. Even if you pimped out everyone to lvl 99 with maxed up materia, you still have to deal with the Weapon bosses, and you needed to be maxed out to even have a chance at beating the boss. Afterwards, not sure what end game options would be nice to add.

10. I look for patches to fix any unfair glitches and new content added (as long as the new content doesn't unbalance the game somehow).

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by Scot

If you think it's a waste of your time don't take it, he's just trying to get some help, as you see in his post that he is studiying game design and development.