Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG is better than ever.

Comments

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Recon48

I can remember on Bria, going to Coronet starport and seeing 5 lines of Doctors selling 3-4hr duration buffs, each with like 15-20 players waiting in line at any given time, or walking into either Theed or Coronet cantina with a friend and having to /target her toon because I'd lost track of her in the crowds there.  And when I was working on mastering Doctor I would visit my factory to load my backpack to go sit in Theed Med Center and heal people's battle fatigued stats.  Within a couple hours I would be completely out of stims.  That  was when SWG was better than ever.

Yeah standing line to get buffs was awesome! It was a time to socialize.  You know, contact with other individuals who inhabit the same planet?  Maybe even share the same interests?  At any rate, it was an opportunity for people to stop saying "pwnd" for a few minutes.

I really wish they would being back the battle fatigue also,nothing beat standing around doing nothing for 20 or 30 minutes... Again, socialization.  Obviously a foreign concept to you.

They should bring back the hologrind or any of the Jedi grinds also, that was great fun! You didn't have to do it.

Oh...and the hours and hours of Bol grinding....man, those were the days... Didn't have to do that either.

They should put stuff like that in all MMO's! No, you're right.  "Kill 10 rabbits and return to me" for the win.

The only redeeming quality the "old SWG" had was the profession system, the rest of the game was grind-tastic crap and it wouldn't last 15 minutes if they re-launched it today. Sounds like you wouldn't be there, which is fine.  But with the right advertising, dev team, and direction, I think it'd hit 3/4 of a million subs within 6 months.  When it launched it had almost no advertising, was feature incomplete, and completely lacked direction.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by Kazara

Originally posted by ummax

Originally posted by Tivian

Originally posted by Kylrathin

Originally posted by todeswulf

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Originally posted by Thunderous

There is turnover in WoW.  Players quit, new ones begin.  In Star Wars Galaxies players quit and very few take their place.  The game offers no staying power to retain subscriptions.  SOE and LucasArts put almost no resources or effort into this game and it shows.  There CAN'T be more than 5,000 to 8,000 active players.

I'm afriad that no matter how much you want this to be true due to your obvious hatred of all thing SoE, more and more new and returning players are filling out the ranks of SWG players every day.

I get the chance to speak to many of them in game and there is a recurring trend of SWG seeing an influx of WoW burnouts looking for a more engaging game world to play in, and SWG delivers that.

There is also plenty of sandbox gameplay in SWG, a number of my friends have put together awesome creations via the story teller system and run fun events.

Yep one of my very good friends works for SOE...she told me that SWG is every bit as profitable as their other games more so in some cases and all of their games are currently turning a profit....I undertsntd that the Vets will howl and deny this, she has no reason to lie. SOE is laughing at the "Vets" all the way to the bank.  The only thing these screwballs have managed to do is get a  negitive reputation in the MMO community, so much so that Bioware dosen't  wnat them on thei forums and will perma ban them the moment they start their shit. One mabye they will get the therapy or closure the need.

SOE can laugh all they want.  For my part, I've done most of what I've intended - given SOE and SWG as bad a reputation as they've earned, limiting the number of people who would ever take this game seriously, and doing my best to spread the news that SOE does not like/respect its customers.  SWG's subscription numbers were supposed to eventually go through the roof with the NGE, surpassing previous highs and hitting at least Lineage levels.  The most optimistic guesses I've heard put subscriptions at just under 100,000, which is a third of SWG's previous high, but that's still a very biased guess based on wishful thinking, much like the other extreme of 5000-10000 subs at the most.  The truth lies in the middle somewhere, which means the actions of vets such as myself were a moderate success.  After almost 4 years of NGE, it succeeded in getting rid of the people they were trying to get rid of - myself and 200,000 others like me - but did not attract the mythical audience it was designed to attract.

So you go ahead and enjoy SWG.  Sounds like you have enough friends to play with, meaning you're on one of the populated servers (they used to ALL be populated).  You may or may not have your own issues with the gameplay (doesn't sound like it, you seem willing to swallow whatever SOE deigns to give you).  So you'll have fun and play in your own vacuum.  Good for you!  But there is nothing "screwball" about demanding accountability when you are a paying customer.  The only vets who may fit that description are the ones who still pay SOE in the hopes that they'll see the error of their ways and revert to pre-CU, or open a separate server.  The fact is, SOE used to piss on us and tell us it was raining.  We figured it out, and left.  SWG is down to the players that SOE doesn't have to lie to anymore - they will flat-out tell you they are pissing on you, and they know you won't leave no matter what.

What? what are you saying? cause all I hear from Badger's post all the way down to yours is:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! MY DIAPER NEEDS CHANGING!!!!

Although I dont necessarily agree with how this is being dealt with since its happened I had a similar thought awhile back when I found out that Sony corporation's largest money maker is in fact SOE and that when I spoke to someone about it when doing my bonds stuff at the bank  they are apparently responsible for sony stocks retaining their high value at the moment.     I then came to this forum awhile later and about the same thoughs came into my head about "disguntled vets" and how upset they must be.

Oh well such is life.   

www.massively.com/2009/07/17/breaking-news-sony-online-entertainment-lays-off-41-full-time-w/#continued

I guess nothing says "Profitable and Successful" or "major money maker" like having to layoff 41 employees.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's none of these.  Blizzard dumped 300 staff late last year but I wouldn't call them unsuccessful.

A SWG dev has revealed that the SWG team wasn't affected by the SOE layoffs.  Infact, it seems SWG is even gaining a Dev that's transferring from EQ2.

Possible, but the serious underperformance (some may say business blunders, desperate cash grabs, poor decision making, etc.) of $OE at the hands of Smedley gives a strong indication that the company is experiencing financial difficulties.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

www.massively.com/2009/07/17/breaking-news-sony-online-entertainment-lays-off-41-full-time-w/#continued
    I guess nothing says "Profitable and Successful" or "major money maker" like having to layoff 41 employees.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's none of these.  Blizzard dumped 300 staff late last year but I wouldn't call them unsuccessful.

A SWG dev has revealed that the SWG team wasn't affected by the SOE layoffs.  Infact, it seems SWG is even gaining a Dev that's transferring from EQ2.

They're up to two devs now? Awesome, the TGC should be seeing updates like crazy now!

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by Recon48

I can remember on Bria, going to Coronet starport and seeing 5 lines of Doctors selling 3-4hr duration buffs, each with like 15-20 players waiting in line at any given time, or walking into either Theed or Coronet cantina with a friend and having to /target her toon because I'd lost track of her in the crowds there.  And when I was working on mastering Doctor I would visit my factory to load my backpack to go sit in Theed Med Center and heal people's battle fatigued stats.  Within a couple hours I would be completely out of stims.  That  was when SWG was better than ever.

Yeah standing line to get buffs was awesome!

I really wish they would being back the battle fatigue also,nothing beat standing around doing nothing for 20 or 30 minutes...

They should bring back the hologrind or any of the Jedi grinds also, that was great fun!

Oh...and the hours and hours of Bol grinding....man, those were the days...

They should put stuff like that in all MMO's!

The only redeeming quality the "old SWG" had was the profession system, the rest of the game was grind-tastic crap and it wouldn't last 15 minutes if they re-launched it today.

Buff lines added to the economy and social aspect of the game, something NO other game offers. 

Holo grind sucked.

Skill trees rocked, best of any game I have ever seen.

Tecmo Bowl.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

There is turnover in WoW.  Players quit, new ones begin.  In Star Wars Galaxies players quit and very few take their place.  The game offers no staying power to retain subscriptions.  SOE and LucasArts put almost no resources or effort into this game and it shows.  There CAN'T be more than 5,000 to 8,000 active players.

I'm afriad that no matter how much you want this to be true due to your obvious hatred of all thing SoE, more and more new and returning players are filling out the ranks of SWG players every day.

I get the chance to speak to many of them in game and there is a recurring trend of SWG seeing an influx of WoW burnouts looking for a more engaging game world to play in, and SWG delivers that.

There is also plenty of sandbox gameplay in SWG, a number of my friends have put together awesome creations via the story teller system and run fun events.

Yep one of my very good friends works for SOE...she told me that SWG is every bit as profitable as their other games more so in some cases and all of their games are currently turning a profit....I undertsntd that the Vets will howl and deny this, she has no reason to lie. SOE is laughing at the "Vets" all the way to the bank.  The only thing these screwballs have managed to do is get a  negitive reputation in the MMO community, so much so that Bioware dosen't  wnat them on thei forums and will perma ban them the moment they start their shit. One mabye they will get the therapy or closure the need.

SOE can laugh all they want.  For my part, I've done most of what I've intended - given SOE and SWG as bad a reputation as they've earned, limiting the number of people who would ever take this game seriously, and doing my best to spread the news that SOE does not like/respect its customers.  SWG's subscription numbers were supposed to eventually go through the roof with the NGE, surpassing previous highs and hitting at least Lineage levels.  The most optimistic guesses I've heard put subscriptions at just under 100,000, which is a third of SWG's previous high, but that's still a very biased guess based on wishful thinking, much like the other extreme of 5000-10000 subs at the most.  The truth lies in the middle somewhere, which means the actions of vets such as myself were a moderate success.  After almost 4 years of NGE, it succeeded in getting rid of the people they were trying to get rid of - myself and 200,000 others like me - but did not attract the mythical audience it was designed to attract.

So you go ahead and enjoy SWG.  Sounds like you have enough friends to play with, meaning you're on one of the populated servers (they used to ALL be populated).  You may or may not have your own issues with the gameplay (doesn't sound like it, you seem willing to swallow whatever SOE deigns to give you).  So you'll have fun and play in your own vacuum.  Good for you!  But there is nothing "screwball" about demanding accountability when you are a paying customer.  The only vets who may fit that description are the ones who still pay SOE in the hopes that they'll see the error of their ways and revert to pre-CU, or open a separate server.  The fact is, SOE used to piss on us and tell us it was raining.  We figured it out, and left.  SWG is down to the players that SOE doesn't have to lie to anymore - they will flat-out tell you they are pissing on you, and they know you won't leave no matter what.

What? what are you saying? cause all I hear from Badger's post all the way down to yours is:

Although I dont necessarily agree with how this is being dealt with since its happened I had a similar thought awhile back when I found out that Sony corporation's largest money maker is in fact SOE and that when I spoke to someone about it when doing my bonds stuff at the bank  they are apparently responsible for sony stocks retaining their high value at the moment.     I then came to this forum awhile later and about the same thoughs came into my head about "disguntled vets" and how upset they must be.

Oh well such is life.   

Possible, but the serious underperformance (some may say business blunders, desperate cash grabs, poor decision making, etc.) of $OE at the hands of Smedley gives a strong indication that the company is experiencing financial difficulties.

Serious underperformance?  What brought you to that conclusion?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Oh well such is life.   

Serious underperformance?  What brought you to that conclusion?

Off the top of my head, when one stand alone corporate body is subordinated to another corporate body that it was formerly equal to, and even after such a "reorganization" that insufficient efficiency was achieved, that its workforce needed a 5% personnel haircut.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention in my university business classes some years back, but that does not happen with successful ventures. SOE has been sucking it, and was taken down a tier. Now, they got a personnel chop too. Guess Smed is not cutting it, because someone doing a good job does not usually get his personnel ( and operating budget) cut.

But we have had both of those things with SOE.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by jjjk29

I respect what you have said about the game..  But I came back and played about a month ago and it is crap.  You have to make a class to craft something?  Garbage

That's pretty much what my feeling was when I re-installed the game a week ago. I lasted 30 minutes before I said "This game is dead." Once TOR comes out the game this game will be history.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• FmrOprtrFmrOprtr Member Posts: 57

[quote][i]Originally posted by Zathoral[/i] [b] Hello everyone. I started playing SWG the weekend that it came out. It was my first mmorpg, and i was in love with it. Pre-cu was amazing. The amount of freedom that players had to do anything within the world of SWG was unprecedented. Then NGE came along and took a lot of what the players loved away from the game, and as we all know this caused a mass exodus away from the game. I personally hated the changes, but I still loved the game. I chose to leave once so many of my friends had gone. A couple years later i came back for a little stint in the game that lasted 2 or 3 months. Once again I left. The game lacked content at the time. The only thing to do really was to farm comms in Restuss. Two weeks ago I came back to the game for a second time... And this time I'm amazed. I've been having a blast in the game, and I've never had this much fun since i first started playing back in 2003. SOE has added a lot of great content to the game since i last played. They added heroics to the game which are the new group instances. These instances are relatively easy, but they're all quite fun, and are very rewarding to complete. Furthermore SOE also added battlefields to the game recently. Battlefields have some flaws, but they make getting into the action of PvP much easier, and there are also some really cool rewards that you can earn from battlefields.  The trading card game was also added since I left. I have mixed feelings on this subject. I personally really enjoy the trading card game, and i'm  one of the few players who actually play it. On the other hand I dislike how SOE added SO MUCH awesome content to the game, but they put it all through the card game instead of giving it to crafters... but that is business... The trading card game is actually quite well done though, and if you like that kind of thing you should definitely try it out. I believe this month every account gets a free month of SWG including those that haven't been active in years, so this is a great oppurtunity for you vets to try the game again . I was skeptical when I came back 2 weeks ago, but I've been having a blast and there is no way I regret it.  Unfortunately a lot of servers are dead now, but there is a free character transfer service in effect until september, so I highly recommend transfering over to Starsider or Bria if you start playing. I transfered to Starsider and there are tons of players here. All you vets should really try the game again. It really is a lot better than it was before. Maybe not quite as good as Pre-cu, but it is very good, and better than all of the other trash themepark mmos that keep coming out every year and always disappoint.[/b][/quote]

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA   This sounds just like the PR reps for the little korean games !!!!   Only funnier and with better english.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I respect what you have said about the game..  But I came back and played about a month ago and it is crap.  You have to make a class to craft something?  Garbage

That's pretty much what my feeling was when I re-installed the game a week ago. I lasted 30 minutes before I said "This game is dead." Once TOR comes out the game this game will be history.

Since you both really dont like to work for anything, and thier are things you still can work for in SWG.  Some like to actually be the best in thier proffesions, some like to socialize, I can tell in 30 secs neither of you will ever be happy with a mmo.     I used to like both, thats the differnce from a real mmo player and a player that turns on thier Xbox or PS3 and expects to have the best of everything and beat the entire game in a day.     

You really came to the conclusion that the game is dead in 30mins?    You didnt try out the populated servers?   Starsider is more active than any server Pre-Cu or Cu.    The only merit anyone can get from either of the posts from Ktanner3 or jjjk28 is that some games are not for everyone, move on thiers something more your speed out thier.   

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Since you both really dont like to work for anything, and thier are things you still can work for in SWG.  Some like to actually be the best in thier proffesions, some like to socialize, I can tell in 30 secs neither of you will ever be happy with a mmo.     I used to like both, thats the differnce from a real mmo player and a player that turns on thier Xbox or PS3 and expects to have the best of everything and beat the entire game in a day.     

You really came to the conclusion that the game is dead in 30mins?    You didnt try out the populated servers?   Starsider is more active than any server Pre-Cu or Cu.    The only merit anyone can get from either of the posts from Ktanner3 or jjjk28 is that some games are not for everyone, move on thiers something more your speed out thier.   

Starsider is nowhere near as populated as Bria was pre-CU.  SOE had to offer free transfers from Bria because the population was so high it was causeing the server to crash.  This occured before they lowerd the numbers behind the server load labels (light, medium, high, etc.).

It doesn't take very long to realize that SWG is an unfun, buggy, mess of a game.  Not liking SWG tells you nothing about the possibility to enjoy other MMOs, as SWG is an extremely poor example of an MMORPG.  It is a good MMO for a newcomer to the genre, as every other MMO the newcomer tries afterward will always be a better experience than SWG, so they will have already seen the worst the genre has to offer.  Even if they don't enjoy some other MMO, they will be able to tell themselves, "At least it isn't SWG', and that will help to make them feel a little better.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

The current Starsider server population would probably have represented "Medium" in Pre-CU.  I remember when Lowca EASILY had more players than Starsider does now. 

Tecmo Bowl.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

anyone who says only 2-3 classes are good for pvp in SWG now REALLY need to learn to play. EVERY combat class can be played effective. Pre-cu NEVER had this element of balance. It was all about who had that uber mind dot weapon.

SWG is lightyears better then when NGE first hit. SWG now is in many ways improved from pre cu. SWG is not perfect by far, but it's still the best sandbox mmo out.

As for population, go on Starsider, Flurry, Bria, Bloodfin, or EU Chimera. Population is just fine on all of those, and Starsider is as packed as servers were pre cu. There ARE medic buff lines, full cantinas, and people all over.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Anything before NGE was the best, no the greatest in the world but still beats the shit out of this garbage.  Prove me wrong.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I played half a dozen different builds pre-cu and not one depended on a mind-fire weapon. The mistake that the morons at SOE and some players made, was that they viewed "balance" on an individual and not group level. SOE spent all their time fooling around with "balance" when they should have been fixing broken crap and adding content. I can't remember how many times we mowed down bunches of FOTM players with small group tactics.

The post NGE game is 1/10th as deep as previous incarnations of SWG with just as many bugs and worse permormance from both the server and client. Calling the current game "better" than when the NGE was released means what exactly?

In the current game, crafting is all but dead. Loot is the economy. All but 4 or 5 servers are bare, and even those are dead at some non-peak times.

In the current game, PvP is donimated by 2 classes on the individual level. The poorly implemented battlefield system, a recent new "content" addition, can be "exploited" by certain group builds because of the existing mechanincs. Many people have stopped bothering, as of a week ago.

This game is on a slow decline, and the planned addition of zombies has even turned off some of few remaining hardcore SW fans. Anyone saying different is selling something.

The days of SWG are numbered, twice as much with the new SW MMO coming.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Burntvet

I played half a dozen different builds pre-cu and not one depended on a mind-fire weapon. The mistake that the morons at SOE and some players made, was that they viewed "balance" on an individual and not group level.

Nothing more needs to be said after this.  Unfortunately, the whole idea of balancing duels is endemic to MMORPG developers.  The entire idea behind the HAM system was that it would make one group weak to one of the other two groups, while strong against the third.  It was supposed to be a rock-paper-scissors type mechainic that ended up being a lightning rod for a development team that had no vision or creative capacity.

The reasoning has been said (by former SWG dev team member GreenMarine) to have been the result of having a dev team primarily comprised of systems designers and producers (on the SOE side) that thought they knew better than the customers what the customers wanted.

Unfortunately, SWG's legacy will be that of missed potential.  For some reason, the original vision for the game, which included arching storylines and lots of directed content (quests) along with the sandbox game mechanics, was scrapped as soon, if not before, the game was shipped, in favor of believing they could buff or nerf their way to increased subscription numbers.

As for the title of the thread, I guess you could say it was true, if you redefined "ever" into meaning 'nothing existed before right this second', considereing the game is horrible.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

You talk as if I've never played an MMO before.I started playing this game back in 2004 and my server was Corbantis. You are discrediting yourself when you say that ANY server going right now can compare with  the population this game had before the big changes. The server was packed. Everywhere you went you would run into people. The players WERE the population, not the NPCs like it is now. I shouldn't have to move my character just so that I can find people to play with. If the server doesn't have people on it then why does it stay open and how come I have to ask around to find the populated servers? If the game is really all that better, the majority of the servers would have a population to them. I freely admit that the game had numerous problems with its design, but instead of fixing the design they wrote another one on top and it only made the problems worse.

And yes, 30 minutes is enough when I know that they still haven't improved the lag or bugs that this game has. That's a game killer right there for me and is the reason why I finally quit.  I played this game for 2 1/2 years thru everyone of its changes. I don't have to spend days or weeks to see that leveling your character is still boring and that NPCs you need to talk to still end up in walls and water.

PS: I don't own an Xbox and my PS3 is for Blu-Ray only, so try and know a little more about the poster before you make assumptions. It will help you to not look like such an idiot.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Shohadaku

anyone who says only 2-3 classes are good for pvp in SWG now REALLY need to learn to play. EVERY combat class can be played effective. Pre-cu NEVER had this element of balance. It was all about who had that uber mind dot weapon.
    SWG is lightyears better then when NGE first hit. SWG now is in many ways improved from pre cu. SWG is not perfect by far, but it's still the best sandbox mmo out.

This is a really unfair comparison on many levels.  Maybe swg now has more balance than the original game had, but that is a result of 4 years of the devs doing almost nothing but fix the things they have screwed up. 

The original game never had that type of attention.  Soe mismanaged the game from the start and instead of spending time fixing the core problems and balancing the game, they moved the live team to make expansions and then to revamp the game twice.

Soe never game the original game a chance to thrive, because they were to busy trying to make more money from xpacks and drawing in the wow crowd than pleasing the current fans they had.  I feel pretty confident that if the original game had the same 4 years to fix its problems, it would not only be a far superior game to what is offered now, but it would funciton better AND still be receiving expansions.

However that is not the case.  The statement that many people seem content to describe star wars now is "Its not that bad" or "it is better than when the nge hit".  This is the sum of 4 years efforts. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

As for population, go on Starsider, Flurry, Bria, Bloodfin, or EU Chimera. Population is just fine on all of those, and Starsider is as packed as servers were pre cu. There ARE medic buff lines, full cantinas, and people all over.

What the hell? NGE was lightyears better? The NGE was one of the most poorly made games ever, almost every profession were broken, Jedi had no armor and attack speed was bugged, everyone ran like benny hill, combat was extremely unbalanced, pve was severely dumbed down, it still has that ugly UI, a level 40 could kill a level 80 npc without consequences, and so on and so on. Also, combat is STILL unbalanced and there's even more spike damage getting added (next are those damn droids).

Publish 24 during the CU was about the best patch ever IMO, pvp was alot of fun and squad leader was finally in good shape and useful then SOE scratched it 2 weeks later, they can't ever do anything right.

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368

Sook, he said SWG is lightyears better NOW than when NGE came out

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Burntvet

In the current game, crafting is all but dead. Loot is the economy. All but 4 or 5 servers are bare, and even those are dead at some non-peak times. 

Yup. The crafting system is still mostly in place, but there's no point in utilizing 99% of its inherent complexity. Once you reach the level cap with Trader, there are only a tiny number of the very best items worth selling, and even then only with uber-rare materials. There's no middle ground.

What the **** is the point of all those crafting possibilities if most of it is just worthless?

And yeah, it's all loot now. From what I've heard, they've added a buttload of "grind mobs for forty hours to get the rarest piece of Collection X" stuff, with loot rewards.

It's like McDonald's Monopoly, the first 4 pieces of the collection are all over the damned place, and they don't matter. They're just fluff, the fifth piece (which is 200x rarer) is all that matters. Go grind something!

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

Yup. The crafting system is still mostly in place, but there's no point in utilizing 99% of its inherent complexity. Once you reach the level cap with Trader, there are only a tiny number of the very best items worth selling, and even then only with uber-rare materials. There's no middle ground.
     What the **** is the point of all those crafting possibilities if most of it is just worthless?

You haven't played SWG for some time I'm guessing?  I primarily play two characters, an Engineer and Structures Trader who are on the same server.  I find it quite daunting, the amount of craftables and complexity that exists, in terms of trying to run a fully stocked shop.

The recent updates to all crafting professions has left me with many months worth of crafting fun to stay current with what my customers are after.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Well 4 years of development after the NGE and you'd hope it has gotten better. However it doesn't matter how mant changes they make, the NGE ruined the gameplay I liked outta SWG and made the game feel cheap. I hate the ugly toy looking UI and I hate the movement speed and I hate the animations and I hate the targetting system. I hate the speed of movement which makes running look retarded and I hate the speed of combat which again makes the animations look retarded. I hate the expertise system which offers little customization like with Jedi you only have the choice to be a tank with slightly better healing or a ranged skill.

I don't care if they've finally fixed elements the NGE broke because the core game is still broken and it still doesn't have the better superior profession skill box system.

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

That's why every "good" pvp'er was a 4030 Doc at least.

I could make any class in the game work in pvp, except Carbs, BH and Commando.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

OP, the problem is that a lot of us "vets" have tried this game, over and over again.  Every time they give us free time we likely log on to check it out.
    The real issue is that the game isn't very good.  Combat is lame, the community is tiny, and our freedom has been taken away.  This game is no different than any other themepark/restrictive MMO out there, aside from subtle freedoms remaining from Pre-CU.
    I can't possibly fathom how someone can have fun playing SWG for more than a day.  It boggles my mind.  The grind is horrible, the bugs are annoying, the combat is beyond repair, and the game BARELY resembles something Star Wars.
    It's easy to blame the "vets" of this game for the lack of population.  However, it's far more accurate to blame the poor mechanics and systems of the game for the lack of players on the servers.  If the majority of people thought Star Wars Galaxies was any fun at all, they would play.  Even with the Station Pass SOE can't get anyone to play this game.

Great post. Everybody who loves the NGE always says that the vets are just disgruntled, crying little kids who look at Pre-NGE through rose colored glasses. And that we never give the NGE a chance. Well. I am a vet. I have been and still am subscribed to SWG and the game really isn't all that great. Sorry. It really isn't.

The ground combat and the class system is absolutely horrible. The 2 main reasons for the NGE, getting rid of buffs and balancing professions, failed miserably. In fact. Buffs are more prevalent now than in any incarnation of the game Pre-NGE. The bugs from Pre-CU and CU are still there on top of the new bugs that are implemented with each chapter. And lets not even talk about lag. Coronet used to have hundreds of players spamming their wares at all hours of the day and I NEVER had problems with lag. With a lesser powered computer at that time. The computer I use now is 100x more advanced than3-4 years ago. The servers are not as crowded, but I experience ridiculous lag. Explain that one. And lastly. The GCW STILL is non-existant. Yes you have the battlefields, static bases and Restuss. But an actual GCW where the war is being fought all over the galaxy and where your actions dictate who is winning or losing the war? Non existant. Another reason why players are still quitting.

The only thing that the NGE has going for it is that they finally introduced content. Heroics, collections(even though most of them are tedious grinds, but content none the less), battlefields, and Story Teller for RP's. That's really it. If they would have stopped looking for the magical "balance" button, added in the fixes to Ranger, CH, and Squad Leader as planned, and worked on giving us content and the GCW liked everyone asked for, SWG would be one of the top games and not the butt of every joke like it is now.

So to all of you who say the vets don't play the game. Whatever. I know how the NGE is like cause I still play it. The ground game is boring, unintuitive and on easy mode. The classes are boring and everyone is just carbon copies of each other. The only reason I still play is space cause that hasn't fell under the NGE axe yet.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by ericlatrelle

OP, the problem is that a lot of us "vets" have tried this game, over and over again.  Every time they give us free time we likely log on to check it out.
    The real issue is that the game isn't very good.  Combat is lame, the community is tiny, and our freedom has been taken away.  This game is no different than any other themepark/restrictive MMO out there, aside from subtle freedoms remaining from Pre-CU.
    I can't possibly fathom how someone can have fun playing SWG for more than a day.  It boggles my mind.  The grind is horrible, the bugs are annoying, the combat is beyond repair, and the game BARELY resembles something Star Wars.
    It's easy to blame the "vets" of this game for the lack of population.  However, it's far more accurate to blame the poor mechanics and systems of the game for the lack of players on the servers.  If the majority of people thought Star Wars Galaxies was any fun at all, they would play.  Even with the Station Pass SOE can't get anyone to play this game.

Great post. Everybody who loves the NGE always says that the vets are just disgruntled, crying little kids who look at Pre-NGE through rose colored glasses. And that we never give the NGE a chance. Well. I am a vet. I have been and still am subscribed to SWG and the game really isn't all that great. Sorry. It really isn't.

The ground combat and the class system is absolutely horrible. The 2 main reasons for the NGE, getting rid of buffs and balancing professions, failed miserably. In fact. Buffs are more prevalent now than in any incarnation of the game Pre-NGE. The bugs from Pre-CU and CU are still there on top of the new bugs that are implemented with each chapter. And lets not even talk about lag. Coronet used to have hundreds of players spamming their wares at all hours of the day and I NEVER had problems with lag. With a lesser powered computer at that time. The computer I use now is 100x more advanced than3-4 years ago. The servers are not as crowded, but I experience ridiculous lag. Explain that one. And lastly. The GCW STILL is non-existant. Yes you have the battlefields, static bases and Restuss. But an actual GCW where the war is being fought all over the galaxy and where your actions dictate who is winning or losing the war? Non existant. Another reason why players are still quitting.

The only thing that the NGE has going for it is that they finally introduced content. Heroics, collections(even though most of them are tedious grinds, but content none the less), battlefields, and Story Teller for RP's. That's really it. If they would have stopped looking for the magical "balance" button, added in the fixes to Ranger, CH, and Squad Leader as planned, and worked on giving us content and the GCW liked everyone asked for, SWG would be one of the top games and not the butt of every joke like it is now.

So to all of you who say the vets don't play the game. Whatever. I know how the NGE is like cause I still play it. The ground game is boring, unintuitive and on easy mode. The classes are boring and everyone is just carbon copies of each other. The only reason I still play is space cause that hasn't fell under the NGE axe yet.

Well said! The curent population is a mere fraction of what it was pre-NGE and while I am happy for those that still find some enjoyment in SWG, the dead and dying servers tells the sad SWG story of the epic fail of the NGE.