Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any of you current players Ex WoW raiders?

Easy question really, any of you current Vanguardians come from a WoW raiding background?

Care to expound on the differences?

You guys have any favorite videos you have links to?

Im tryign to convince a friend of mine to try it out seeing as how she is so into wow and raiding. From what Ive read this sounds so much better. Id like some help proving my point :)

Thanks

Comments

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by logangregor

Easy question really, any of you current Vanguardians come from a WoW raiding background?

Care to expound on the differences?

You guys have any favorite videos you have links to?
    Im tryign to convince a friend of mine to try it out seeing as how she is so into wow and raiding. From what Ive read this sounds so much better. Id like some help proving my point :)
    Thanks

"From what Ive read this sounds so much better".

That statement says it all about Vanguard and all the other pretenders to have been released after it.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

I wish I could say Im interested in this game, but the "no pvp" thing kills it for me.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

I wish I could say Im interested in this game, but the "no pvp" thing kills it for me.

Vanguard was never meant for PvP. they only  rigged up a pvp server at the end of development because a few hundred people cried for it. The pvp server now has maybe 75 player. PvP is for children, Vanguard is a mature PVE game.

Originally posted by Bodeus
    Originally posted by logangregor I wish I could say Im interested in this game, but the "no pvp" thing kills it for me.

Vanguard was never meant for PvP. they only  rigged up a pvp server at the end of development because a few hundred people cried for it. The pvp server now has maybe 75 player. PvP is for children, Vanguard is a mature PVE game.

Dont be an ass. I didnt say PVE sucked or call anyone carebears.

Im not even knocking Vanguard for not having pvp.
    It might of ruined the game for all I know.

Be honest with yourself, all these games are childish.
    There video games!!

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Bodeus

VG is a mature PVE game just made me lol on the inside.

Mature in the fact that old people play it sure but there's nothing "mature" about the game.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

How about that Bodeus. :)

They are attacking your views for defending the game. There have to be some kind of irony in this.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Maybe a better thread title would of been, "Can people who play VG read and comprehend" because none of you have answered any of the simple questions I brought up in my post.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

PvP is for children

What a childish remark.

Look around the web site you are posting on. Its full of orcs, space ships, lazers, dragons, faeries, anime characters, hello kitty etc etc. Youve obviously overcome the societal assumption that video games are only for children, in that case you can't really argue about features of a video game being for children.

Besides, pvp features only add to the interaction of these games. And when done correctly adds to the community, which in the end makes it much less childish than some would assume.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

OK quit the childish bickering and answer the OPs questions...

For the record, games, and MMOs, whether they are PvE or PvP oriented aren't "mature" or "immature". They are hobbies, just like any other hobby and appeal to people of all ages and maturity levels. The only thing you can tag as either of those things are the people that play the game... and their maturity has nothing to do with what aspect of a game they enjoy and participate in.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• LunicurLunicur Member Posts: 51

Maybe a better thread title would of been, "Can people who play VG read and comprehend" because none of you have answered any of the simple questions I brought up in my post.

I play VG and can read and comprehend (sometimes :p) Anyways, I used to love raiding in WoW, that's why I play MMOs, and so far I seem to love VG. In the last interview with Salim? I think that's his name; he mentions new raiding content. Here's the article: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/147/feature/3236/Game-Update-Its-Been-a-Long-Road.html and here's another: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/242005/Producer-letter.html

Just tell your friend to test it out, the 14 day trial is completely free so there's nothing to lose. There are so many dungeons in VG it's insane; it almost feels like you're able to raid from the very beginning. 

• LocithonLocithon Member UncommonPosts: 45

Raiding in Vanguard is similar to the WoW raid style with some variations.  There is one huge raid dungeon called Ancient Port Warehouse that has maybe 18 bosses in it.  The rest is a mixture of overland raid targets and outdoor raid areas.  I would count maybe 16-18 overland raid targets, they range from easy to insanely difficult.  One mob called Karax has never been beaten to this day and Varking has only been killed by a very few.

One word of caution about this game is that soloing is not as fun or easy as WoW.  The dungeons in this game however is where the meat is, if you can get most of your levels from grouping then you'll have more fun than WoW.  If you end up soloing you may find it tedious.

• blackhawk432blackhawk432 Member UncommonPosts: 138

To be honest OP, have them do the free trial.. they will probably cancel before the 14 days due to the lack of community that WoW has.

Please no one throw in the insults at me already as I am still playing the free trial. But it really does not have a lot more to offer than WoW.

For a lot of gamers like myself community plays a huge roll in the game. Heck i'll be honest I played runescape for 3 years or so just for the fact that I had about 20 really good friends in that game.

All in all like I said have her test it out but don't be disappointed when they quit.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

problem with 14 days trial is if your friend still is into WoW, properbly wont be spending the time needed to get into a new MMO, takes time to get to feel your 2nd MMO is anything special since in end its who you play it with that make the big diffrence from MMOs compared to offline games...

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Locithon

One word of caution about this game is that soloing is not as fun or easy as WoW.  The dungeons in this game however is where the meat is, if you can get most of your levels from grouping then you'll have more fun than WoW.  If you end up soloing you may find it tedious.

well dont know about higher lvls, but in the lower lvls can solo just fine....and duo sure makes things alot easier. but found the few dungeons Ive tried really nice in VG. dont take that away from yourself...gather them groups!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well ... I cant answer the original question, as I havent played WoW, let alone raided in it.

Can say raiding in VG is fun and tough, though. Mobs are very different and require finding and applying a strategy, and a single player failing to do his job can cause failure. Also, a lot of raid bosses require to reach a certain damage output or a time limit will be reached.

About PvP, yes its sad VG doesnt have it, but for having good PvP you need to design a game around it from the very beginning, and as this never ever was done in VG, it would now require a huge overhaul of the whole system with a myriad of problems in all kinds of content - in short, not gonna happen.