Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried to come back and .........wow

Comments

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by Hydroblunt

Originally posted by 3on1

AO is very cpu intensive, your graphics card doesnt really matter. also when u play it in vista u can experience VERY bad performance, i had it too. but apparently not all vista users have that. im back on xp anyway till windows 7 comes out

I have a core 2 duo 3.1 Ghz, I can run 2-3 clients of WoW, Warhammer, Aion or Eve Online.  Im pretty sure it's not my CPU.

The game has severe server lag, everyone in the game knows it.  It used to run smoother on a weaker computer in Omni trade being packed to the hilts.  It's obviously on Funcom's side.

okay, your cpu is indeed more then good enough. but you play it on vista/windows 7 beta? just trying to figure out the problem since i have no lag, and i see no1 complaining about server lag on the official forums.

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

AO is very cpu intensive, your graphics card doesnt really matter. also when u play it in vista u can experience VERY bad performance, i had it too. but apparently not all vista users have that. im back on xp anyway till windows 7 comes out

I have a core 2 duo 3.1 Ghz, I can run 2-3 clients of WoW, Warhammer, Aion or Eve Online.  Im pretty sure it's not my CPU.

The game has severe server lag, everyone in the game knows it.  It used to run smoother on a weaker computer in Omni trade being packed to the hilts.  It's obviously on Funcom's side.

okay, your cpu is indeed more then good enough. but you play it on vista/windows 7 beta? just trying to figure out the problem since i have no lag, and i see no1 complaining about server lag on the official forums.

I use xp.

It's server lag, plain & simple.  I was in Bor and when I asked what the heck is going on and why is the lag so bad, ppl stated it's server lag as everyone else was experiencing it.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

Originally posted by Cybercat  Originally posted by Hydroblunt

Oh and just to add - I have been playing AO since SL as a PAYING player too, and I even have 3 PAID accounts with horrendous amount of Veteran Points.

I am not a kid either, old enough to be a Grandma. And I say you played too much WoW as well....

Ok Grandma, maybe you're getting affected by old age . 

First of all, take a step back, as I have played AO since prior Shadowlands and played AO more than any other MMO.  It was my first MMO, and I rolled an agent as my first toon, which was one of the hardest things you could have done in the game.  I got him up to 125, along with other toons, well geared & imped as Shadowlands hit which changed the game.  Meanwhile, you're part of the players who came into AO as part of Shadowlands, an expansion that catered to the WoW players with fantasy setting and easier dumbed down leveling & credit grinding.  Maybe you should have been playing WoW instead.

Second of all, I played WoW for two 1-year stretches, played Warhammer from Dec 2008 till June.  Been playing Eve online since with some Aion beta weekend and a failed attempt to play WoW again (bored me).  I also played Anarchy Online in between my 1 year stretches of WoW for almost a year, and while it was fun, it was a diminished experience due to a severe lack of population, outddated mechanics & server lag.

Bottom line, you're not cool or l33t cause you play Anarchy Online now and disregard other useful game functions & attributes, such as a proper market system like an Auction House, mail system, non-clunky UI, stable non-laggy client, etc.  You did not play AO when it hit the scene and was at its peak, so you really have no place to judge me as someone who played too much WoW.  I obviously have played more MMOs than you, and have a much better reference.

I'm calling it how it is.  Anarchy Online is a great game at its core, but it needs a serious overhaul and has needed a serious overhaul for years.  Funcom gave up in the face of WoW and decided to make AoC to compete with it.  I have said for years that a good studio needs to take over AO, polish it up and they would have a great success on their hands.

I use xp.

It's server lag, plain & simple.  I was in Bor and when I asked what the heck is going on and why is the lag so bad, ppl stated it's server lag as everyone else was experiencing it.

yes but ofcourse bor is laggy, is too damn crowded since its the "capital" of AO... but its just a town with some shops. now if you will level up, or do bosshunts, or do aliens or anything else it wont be laggy. titlelvl 7 tower battle can be really laggy tho, ive had times that i got warped out by the server cause the area was too crowded :/ think it was 100vs100 battle, few weeks ago (on rk2)

Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• KhenthirKhenthir Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Katilla
    well aren't you a holier then thou vet.  I also experienced severe lag in this game when i tried to go back to it, and i played BEFORE SL when there were no expansions and the lag wasn't like this. I, myself had 3 paid accts.   I used to love this game when it first came out, so much in fact that i was an ARK for a couple years and the game was never as laggy as it is now, (i got a free acct from thart also so i had 4 at that point) I personally think that it is due to poor coding in the expansions,  has to be the only explanation seeing as i can run better games then this on max settings.
    They should really work on an AO2 seeing as they scrapped the graphics engine for the "upgrade" and let this game die.  Guaranteed if they executed it right, the playerbase would be huge.  

Apparently you have some very selectve memory, and don't remember how frequently your ping would go up to 1000...3000...even 10000 in crowded areas even before SL.  Or how tower wars sometimes meant  "press the attack key and wait five minutes to find out whether you hit or got killed first."

There may still be lag from time to time, but most of what people call "lag" is actually on the client end, when the client is fetching models and textures from the database.  To help with that, I'd seriously recommend defragging your hard drive between installing the patch and playing the game.

I use xp.

yes but ofcourse bor is laggy, is too damn crowded since its the "capital" of AO...

LOL!

I saw 20 people max from the grid terminal to the shops.  Most were sitting afk.  The lag was horrific, 10 times worse than during prime time at Bronto Burger back in the pre-SL days.

Originally posted by Khenthir

Originally posted by Katilla
    well aren't you a holier then thou vet.  I also experienced severe lag in this game when i tried to go back to it, and i played BEFORE SL when there were no expansions and the lag wasn't like this. I, myself had 3 paid accts.   I used to love this game when it first came out, so much in fact that i was an ARK for a couple years and the game was never as laggy as it is now, (i got a free acct from thart also so i had 4 at that point) I personally think that it is due to poor coding in the expansions,  has to be the only explanation seeing as i can run better games then this on max settings.
    They should really work on an AO2 seeing as they scrapped the graphics engine for the "upgrade" and let this game die.  Guaranteed if they executed it right, the playerbase would be huge.  

Apparently you have some very selectve memory, and don't remember how frequently your ping would go up to 1000...3000...even 10000 in crowded areas even before SL.  Or how tower wars sometimes meant  "press the attack key and wait five minutes to find out whether you hit or got killed first."

You must joking, SL noob.  We're talking about severe lag when there is not even a reason to have any lag.  You're actually going to compare the lag that AO would have back in 2003 on much weaker PCs and heavier player loads in packed areas, as well as tower wars?

You can spare the PC advice as well, pretty sure myself & the poster you quoted know a lot more than you.

I use xp.

yes but ofcourse bor is laggy, is too damn crowded since its the "capital" of AO...

LOL!

I saw 20 people max from the grid terminal to the shops.  Most were sitting afk.  The lag was horrific, 10 times worse than during prime time at Bronto Burger back in the pre-SL days.

okay, i give up. i disagree with everything u said so far and further reasoning isnt necessary :) hf with other games! and i suggest to check your computer for viruses, LOL! ...

I use xp.

LOL!

okay, i give up. i disagree with everything u said so far and further reasoning isnt necessary :) hf with other games! and i suggest to check your computer for viruses, LOL! ...

Yeah, I come on the forums to lie about severe lag in Anarchy Online.  I mean really, is it a wonder that this once amazing game is so far behind every other?  Look at how the current playerbase deals with it, they try to discredit any obvious criticisms.

This game needs an overhaul, because it is unplayable to even most of its original playerbase.  There was a time when this was the best MMO on the market with the second largest playerbase.  I wonder all the time just how successful it would be if it was redone to today's standards.  Too bad players like you only work to hold it back.

im holding it back how?  im sceptic about the game as it is, but i cant let this 100% trolling go unnoticed. there is no server lag in normal situations. go ahead, call me a fanboy, that wont make me shut up cause u are wrong :)

as for the modern standards i guess u only want better graphics.. cause i cant think of anything in ao that is old, besides the game code (and engine).

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Haven't tried ao after i replaced my graphics card but wow sure runs like crap when in stormwind for instance, i get around 18-22 fps and that is on a gtx 295 card with 8 gig ram in the computer, sure i run vista 64 but wow used to run a lot smoother.

I still play ao from time to time and enjoy it a lot, maybe cause i don't care much for speed leveling (max level for me is 165 so far since 2001) i like to explore, do garden quests enter the sl dungeons and so on, trying to avoid heckler grinds since that would get boring fast.

im holding it back how?  im sceptic about the game as it is, but i cant let this 100% trolling go unnoticed. there is no server lag in normal situations. go ahead, call me a fanboy, that wont make me shut up cause u are wrong :)
    as for the modern standards i guess u only want better graphics.. cause i cant think of anything in ao that is old, besides the game code (and engine).

Oh wow, now I'm trolling when expressing my honest opinion as a player who started out with AO back in the day.  Dude, how long have even played the game and do you even know about its history?  You really have no idea and probably do not realize just how many players used to congregate at Bronto Burger or the center of Athens with less lag than what I experienced after logging into Bor that was half asleep.

This is hilarious and only points out exactly why AO was left in the dust.   I actually tell my friends in game & in real life that AO is one of the best MMOs I have ever played and wish it was updated instead of being left to rot.  And the only reason I say "one of the best" is because I started playing Eve, otherwise AO would take the top spot.  But the game is too far behind in key aspects, yet whatever is left of the playerbase refuses to push for the proper changes.

Where did I say I care much about the graphics?  Yeah, they look like crap by modern standards but it was never a big deal to me.  My biggest problem is the horrific lag.  The other isses that bother me are the lack of an efficient modern MMO features, like a proper market medium and mail system.

This is not an unfound gem like Ryzom is.  This is a game that was once a top 3 MMO with 2nd highest player population but now it's barely staying alive.  There are specific reasons why that is.  Maybe someday you will realize why and also why players like me that try to come back end up leaving within a very short period of time.

Originally posted by Sweede

Haven't tried ao after i replaced my graphics card but wow sure runs like crap when in stormwind for instance, i get around 18-22 fps and that is on a gtx 295 card with 8 gig ram in the computer, sure i run vista 64 but wow used to run a lot smoother.

WoW is also dealing with at least 10 times the players AO has in a city.  I was in single digit FPS with AO in Bor that had 20 people max.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

I had played AO since beta and had a level 103 engie when I left as my highest character.

Actualy, having a mail system is small potatos compared to some of the things I found irritating to the point of being unberable, when I tried the game again. Personaly i think the game took a nose dive after Shadowlands, which every critic seemed to love but I always thought of as a way of "EverQuesting" (this was before WoW) the game.

My favorite pet peeves are:

Running around for sometimes an hour or so, trying to find someone to buff you so you could summon a decent pet at higher levels.

Running around trying to bet people to buff you so you could change items and implants to build high level stuff.

Being completely unable to solo after you reach a certain level, since the mobs have a tendency to be overpowered.

Waiting around for an eternity to find a team to raid the bosses you need to advance once you are past lvl 100.

Heckler grinding.

I thought AO was a great game for it's time, and still think it was one of the most original games ever. Unfortunately I and the market have matured a great deal since then.  And I no longer have the time in my life to sit around looking for teams, waiting for raids and running all over creation chasing buffs.

Mailing system would be nice, but I think the things I mentioned above are a much bigger problem.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

Soloing works great in AO my engineer at 165 has soloed all the way without any real problems, and with a minimum of hecklers, my enfo is in the upper 130's and soloes nicely to.

As for lag in Wow and stormwind i get same crap fps when in sw at 3 am when there is barely any people around, and the forum has many people complaining about the low fps in the game.

• stygmazstygmaz Member Posts: 2

I recently did the exact same thing.. With the exception of doing dailies to make money, its not worth it to me to play wow until the next content patch hits.. So I returned to AO to check things out.  I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the game ran.  I have had absolutely no lag whatsoever.  Characters load quickly, nano effects and such look good.  I run about 60FPS in Borealis and OT Trade.  I remember the performance for ao used to be horrendous, and there is a bug that will load an entire zone when you zone in, when it should only load the immediate area.  If this is happening, and you're loading several zones then it causes a perceived memory leak.  It appears to be one but it is not.  This bug doesn't happen for everyone though.  I would suggest checking the AO forums about how to increase performance.  I remember in one thread it suggested turning all the graphic settings to high, b/c it took more processing power to compress the textures than to display them.  There is also a trick in win xp to change your memory priority to programs instead of system, when i was running xp this helped alot.  Also you noted that the LAG was terrible.  It is important to know the difference between lag, and hardware performance issues.  Lag is when your connection to the server is poor, or you are unable to allocate enough bandwidth to the game to ensure that the required amount of information can be transmitted in time.  Thus resulting in lag, (i.e. taking several seconds to purchase an item from a vendor).  From what it sounds like to me you have some type of hardware issues, and it is possible that the bug I discussed earlier could be the cause.  Otherwise, it could be the usual performance problems that occur on a day to day basis with PC's, viruses other programs taking up alot of memory or cpu time... I'm currently running Windows 7 with a dual core 3GHz processor, 3Gigs of ram, and a GeForce 9800 with 768MB of memory.. And for me the game has been running beautifully.  I can't wait to see the game on the dreamworld engine.

Originally posted by stygmaz

From what it sounds like to me you have some type of hardware issues, and it is possible that the bug I discussed earlier could be the cause. 

Yes, it's hardware issues that only Anarchy Online can uncover.  In fact, they are so severe that several people in Bor chat complained of the same thing.  We were all mistaken by thinking it is server lag, no it's all hardware issues from my end.

• flameflame Member Posts: 31

Sometimes AO does, in my experience, suffer from great serverlag and then there isn't much to do but log off or wait for it to pass away but I experienced quite a lot of lag in certain areas as well, mostly and namely Borealis.

I discovered it was my framerate that was extremely low even though my system is very good. So I tried changing the rendering device in the settings before login (Settings->Visual tab->Rendering Device), can't really recall what I changed it to but it helped me a lot and I never experienced any lag in Borealis again.

• BrezjnevBrezjnev Member UncommonPosts: 98

Much of the lag in AO is caused by HD searchtimes for items (armor etc, that's why it's worse in Borealis or large raids) in ResourceDatabase.dat. This is one file of about 1gb, but with windows it will quickly become fragmented quite badly.

Many players do the following to fix it: forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php

• KhenthirKhenthir Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Brezjnev

Much of the lag in AO is caused by HD searchtimes for items (armor etc, that's why it's worse in Borealis or large raids) in ResourceDatabase.dat. This is one file of about 1gb, but with windows it will quickly become fragmented quite badly.
    Many players do the following to fix it: forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php

Yeah, like I said earlier:  always defrag after an update.

This is especially true after the recent patches increasing the size of the database.

Also, I seem to recall having problems years ago with AO hogging  space on my hard drive when it was running  (but not RAM, for some odd reason).  If possible, install AO to a different hard drive than your swap file, to cut down on seek time when your computer is trying to access the swap file vs. the AO database.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

You can access market terminals if you pay a sub. I think that you need the expensive sub for it. So no Auctionhall like facility for froobs.

And yes, the client is very inefficient. Modern graphic cards are useless, the game is mainly dependant on CPU power. But even with nowadays pc's which are basically overpowered for AO, the game still lags severely during pvp or any occasion with loads of toons around. Game is still good though. Even as froob.

Originally posted by Khenthir

Originally posted by Brezjnev

Yeah, like I said earlier:  always defrag after an update.

This is especially true after the recent patches increasing the size of the database.

Also, I seem to recall having problems years ago with AO hogging  space on my hard drive when it was running  (but not RAM, for some odd reason).  If possible, install AO to a different hard drive than your swap file, to cut down on seek time when your computer is trying to access the swap file vs. the AO database.

Lol this shouldnt matter with such an old client. Nowadays pcs should be able to run multiple instances of the client without a problem. The client is just crap. Both Vanguard and AO have crappy inefficient clients.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990
    Originally posted by cc170

Well, I was looking to try this game out. I guess I shouldn't?

Someone here said you should try it, since someone loves it & other hates it.

Well, go on try it. A very few loves it, most people hates it. At least you can move along after having tried it, then either exclude it for rest of your life, or torment yourself through the "content" and inbred community.

Good luck.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Originally posted by chrisel

Originally posted by cc170

Well, I was looking to try this game out. I guess I shouldn't?

Someone here said you should try it, since someone loves it & other hates it.

Well, go on try it. A very few loves it, most people hates it. At least you can move along after having tried it, then either exclude it for rest of your life, or torment yourself through the "content" and inbred community.

Good luck.

try the classic version of the game, which is f2p. its got a fairly steep learningcurve and its very hard to make money when you start but, for the love of god, do not beg. if you do, prepare to be flamed (even ive done it when i stil was playing, something just snaps when you get 20 tells a day of ppl asking for money, not even politely)

This game is very unfriendly to newbs. The community is ok though, there are ppl who look out for new players, but you need to find them.

Learning about AO is mainly about forumdigging. The official forums has great guides. But its a lot of work, because there is no natural learning curve ingame. Even the toon skilltips ingame suck. Learning about all the player addons, bots, playermade maps and clicksaver, might be tricky to some new players. Because these kind of mods are usually to be distrusted in other games. And in AO they are simply listed in the official forumstickies (not all of them).

An annoying part of the community in AO, is that they dont get it when you ask for improvemens that make the mods obsolete. As in other niche game, the community consists of a lot of fanbois who cant stand critism. So it is very easy to rub them the wrong way :) Those geeks (I was also one,but evolved :) ) dont understand players who dont want to deal with all the preperation for  a game, but instead just want to jump in and play. Which doesnt work in AO. Its a lot like linuxusers vs windowsusers, their whole 'rtfm' attitude :)

And there is definately serverlag. The AO servers simply cant handle large pvp battles or raids. Its a common problem in older MMO's. Dont believe the denials about this.