Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm giving you a 50 man developer team. What do you to do with them?

Comments

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I would first write out the most exciting and technologically breathtaking "features list" you've ever seen.

I would allow and encourage fans to make erroneous and ever more grandios assumptions on the awesomeness of my game by providing very little info other than a few vague "It's possible" replies.

I would then move to Greece, as it's so lovely there.

Then I would solicit funds from government agencies and private investors, at least 30 mil or so.

I would then let all the developers go with a nice bonus check and a non-disclosure agreement so they can't tell anyone they were let go, and replace them with 2 or 3 buddies.

We would then spend 7 years living a life of luxury.

In the 8th year, I would spend 2 million to make a game that barely fits the minimum requirements to even be called a game and release it 1 copy at a time to ensure impressive ques as well as an always "sold out" status to increase hype and gain even larger profits.

I will then release it in another country to get some fast cash to resupply my soon to be retirement in the Greek Isles.

I will call my masterpiece FallenDarkness Online.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

a final fantasy 7 based mmorpg oder an harry potter mmorpg

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

I'd make a game that's skill based, sandbox, realism smothered in fantasy and intrigue.

I'd keep the separation by skill of players close enough to allow anyone to play with anyone else, but also enough to make skilled characters more able. Main differences would be in more options through greater knowledge.

Focus:

City building and social tools, player justice, trade, caravans through more realistic weight limits and organized trade, natural flowing player politics, arts.

Allow players to "go it alone", but with greater risk in a natural way.

Exploration, discovery, mystery, lore and history, major plot line in the background. Lost treasures and rare artifacts. Rares collections.

Roleplay elements. Player written books and scrolls and maps, "items on the ground" (might have to go to a large selection of single placeholders for clumps of items, works like a container), customized houses, emotes, movable tables and chairs and sitting and placing items on tables, wearables and clothing options.

Heavy use of stats (strength, intelligence, etc.), lots of stats, used to modify skills and knowledge, or as the outright basis for success of an action.

Slow progression of stats based on usage and limit to max, will cause a natural "class" like development that can be adjusted as played along with skills and knowledge.

Large world filled with mysteries, wonders, and secrets.

Roaming MOBs, AI to allow them to seek out by their nature, build things like camps and fortifications. Herbivores that try to run first, carnivores that use stealth but recognize danger.

Magic based on individual spells, rather than a level based progression. Magical abilities to modify spells. Shape changing, familiars, scrying, possessions, etc. on top of fireballs and lightning bolts.

Built in macros for repetative actions (trade skills) and an economy based on such, so as to remove the affects of cheats. Longer efforts to make an item, made in pieces and in stages. This will allow newbies to make and sell parts to more experienced players to save them time, makes newbies more viable.

An allowance on PKing before the justice system kicks in. This is to allow players to take care of griefers. Very limted per week, so players will feel the constant need to "save" kill options for said griefers.

Sanctioned wars for guilds and cities. Player holdings (houses and contents) safe, but guild/city holdings at risk (warehouses and contents, statues, public utilities, etc). Players (citizens and alliances) who die in war are placed in a limbo status, i.e. they are out of the war, and attacking someone puts them into possible murderer status with heavy penalty to stats if killed.

Once upon a time....

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by CasaFranky

a final fantasy 7 based mmorpg oder an harry potter mmorpg

isn't this irrelevant with XIV online on the horizon?

• KusaNagi1KusaNagi1 Member Posts: 82

Ghost in the Shell mmo with all the works

Pvp. Lineage2 style

Pve. who cares tbh

Retired From: L2, SWG, RFO, WoW, War, Aion
    Waiting For: Tera, Blade & Soul, Huxley, SWTOR,

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Ooh this is an epic thread full of fun, developers and designers should have an orgasm reading these, I had much fun reading through's people ideas, and now it's my turn to brainstorm my MMORPG idea for this developer team.

- Fantasy game with a "civilization progression" system (it will release on a period sometime in history before Christ, probably very close to when writing and oral communication were developed).

- For this game's first age, towns will be tribes, you will be born in a tribe (yeah, you're an adult already) and you have immortality (in the sense that the shamanists of the time already control the "soul" and you can be ressurected at the game's healers).

- Each of the many many tribes in a huge game world with continents, oceans and all the different kind of environments you see in Earth (and many that aren't), each region must feel unique.

- You have no maps, although you have a mini-map similar to the existing games. Remember, Cartography and Tracking hasn't been invented yet ;)

- Many skills with many utilities like in UO, based in the current era (also the cap is based in the era). This cap, however, only means that getting past it will be insanely hard, and this will take part in advancing the game's eras.

- Through questing and objective completion, you will be able to ascend to a become even the tribe chief. You are welcome to leave your own tribe and found another if you have the resources. Tribes should be like very small guilds, performing tasks will give the tribe resources to fund its NPC suppliers (basically the economy will be mediated through NPCs, pretty much like Guild Wars' traders) with pricing fluctuation on that specific tribe.

- Wars against other tribes leading to their ultimate extermination, alliances, backstabbing and more. Communication in this era is very hard - no global chats, no personal messages, no mails, no chat channels. You can chat either through text or free- speaking (you enable or disable voices, got to be over 18 to do that and you can mute specific users).

I hope you get the idea - the objective is to recreate the civilization with the players molding the advancement of the world. Hunt too much and the animals/monsters become extinct, agriculture may lead to soil improductivity, tribes may have to move or die because of that. That world may even be led to its ultimate demise.

Characters have a skill system like UO. The age determines the maximum "normal" growth with a growth rate scaling based on it. Levels exist to determine your total skillpoint "normal" growth along with a multiplier determined by age, and it also effects your skill learn rate, . Again, that maximum growth only creates a point in which skill advancement becomes much harder, yet with the benefit of becoming someone "ahead of your time", don't expect laser beams on the medieval era though.

Things like alchemy, magic, monsters exist in this game world, magic is maintained by mana (a resource present like natural resources) which can become scarce. Too many magic usage (in a region) will mean a lower mana recharge rate.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Like WoW so I could be rollin' in da dough.

Na really, no levels. Make it in the stone age. Make a big map. Little to no UI. Make it as realistic as possible (Perma-death, can build things, dig holes etc and they last the test of time)

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

U really want to know? Give me  for real that team and then we talk! Im fed up dreaming! I have a good idea for a MMO but not going to tell in here!

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I create this biggest piece of awesomest looking shit people have ever seen, I hype it up until it explodes. The player base cant take it anymore! so i release the game and sell my stock and spend the rest of my life writing get rich quick schemes.

• SinnSinn Member UncommonPosts: 93

A horror MMO.

You start off in the military or a city person/town/village (Police,Fire Fighter, Swat) and something slowly break out infecting cities. Each City would have players but if the city goes unprotected or not well protected enough the entire place can be lost to the infected that is slowly spreading and evolving.

This would be a presistant thing and even if ONE zombie slips by or a creature that carries some sort of viral infection passes you by it could cause massive hacok.

Just think Dead or Alive except a presistant world where everything matters or else the real reprocussion will happen to your gaming world and the way things are set as soon as you log on..your role really matters..

you could just be one guy leading a small army "guild" to protect one town or an entire city..against 100s if not thousands of enemies

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I'd sell the studio to EA for millions and pocket the cash.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by rikilii

I'd sell the studio to EA for millions and pocket the cash.

mm first thing i would probably file for chaper 11 first then start to make plan for a game

thats how its done right?

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Make an updated Asheron's Call.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

For the first week I would go to a game store (not computer games) and buy a few simple boardgames like Chess, Monopoly, Clue/Cluedo, Stratego etc and give them a week to come up with an MMO idea based on the games.

They would have to look at the rules and modify them to fit an MMO.  Browser based is fine.

I would review the results and fire the ones who clearly don't have any idea.  (About 50% based on recent efforts of the MMO devs!)

Those that survive would work on one of two projects

A Browser based MMO based on a game from the 80s (no more details than that - since this is now a working idea)

A Commercial MMO based on espionage.  Sandbox.  Not instanced.  (so not like The Agency)

The second idea would require lots more than 50 people though.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• EternikusEternikus Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by dethgar

I would create a universe, filled with stars, solar systems, and planets. The player can take any form they want, be from whatever planet they want. The player can build his or her own story, from birth and beyond.

How the story develops will be up to the player base. Their actions, wars, feuds, ideas, everything will be their making from launch hour and on.

The game would contain plenty of creatures and NPC's, a backstory, but more importantly tools to build and create whatever they need. There would be no levels, no skills. Everything a player accomplishes would be their doing, and not the roll of dice or the comparison of skills/equipment.

It would be a true MMORPG, free of grind, free of tedium, only invention, confrontation, diplomacy, and wars would exist. You can play on planets or space stations in 3rd or first person view, and in vessels you can view from your pilot seat, or a birds eye perspective. You can roam the ship, do repairs, make modifications, install modules, do what you want. You would not be bound to anything, you aren't stuck in your ship, you aren't stuck in a station or on a planet.

Basically, if you wanna blast yourself out a torpedo bay into the cold dark expanse of space, you can.

I think god already made this idea :P it didnt go as planed though :P

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Eternikus

I would create a universe, filled with stars, solar systems, and planets. The player can take any form they want, be from whatever planet they want. The player can build his or her own story, from birth and beyond.

How the story develops will be up to the player base. Their actions, wars, feuds, ideas, everything will be their making from launch hour and on.

The game would contain plenty of creatures and NPC's, a backstory, but more importantly tools to build and create whatever they need. There would be no levels, no skills. Everything a player accomplishes would be their doing, and not the roll of dice or the comparison of skills/equipment.

It would be a true MMORPG, free of grind, free of tedium, only invention, confrontation, diplomacy, and wars would exist. You can play on planets or space stations in 3rd or first person view, and in vessels you can view from your pilot seat, or a birds eye perspective. You can roam the ship, do repairs, make modifications, install modules, do what you want. You would not be bound to anything, you aren't stuck in your ship, you aren't stuck in a station or on a planet.

Basically, if you wanna blast yourself out a torpedo bay into the cold dark expanse of space, you can.

Well, as I quote in my sig:

Life is an mmorpg. I'm just waiting for God to do a much-needed server wipe.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Nothing. I prefer a 50 woman development team.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

1. Explain to the crew we're the mmo market's last hope and that we must not fail to create the best mmo ever

2. ??????

3. PROFIT!!!!1!!

• SnipanSnipan Member CommonPosts: 184

Here is what my team should waste their time on:

I start with the type of game I think it is a big demand for, and with no real competition on the market - a virtual world. Still a game, and not to be confused with 3d chat rooms. You practise and advance your skills, like any MMO, and social status if you want. The big difference from other mmo´s, is that the game world should feel and behave more like a world, and less like a game. An other big difference is that you can (but dont have to) play the game completely without the need to use a weapon.

The next thing would be to pick a theme/setting. I pick a historical medieval Europe setting, for several reasons. I believe most people could accept a medieval setting - its still enough simular to fantasy to attract a big part of the MMO community, and the lack of elfs and fireballs could maybe even make it attractive to some people who normally want more futuristic games. Middle ages are also a popular genre, at least in other entertainment areas, like movies, books and even computer games. I think one of the more important parts when creating a MMO, is that the player need to feel familar with the game world at once, and not have to read tons of game lore and stuff just to understad what kind of world they are to enter. In a medieval Europe you dont have to introduce anyone, because most people are at least a bit familar with the setting from movies, etc. So with a medieval theme, you have a popluar and known setting, and you dont have to pay anyone for the IP.

The goal is to make the game world alive. So I want a flexible game world the players can own and form. Imo you cant make the game world alive if NPCs own the world, and if the cities are just a decor with a few added service functions. Every building in every village and city should belong and have a function to the players. You wont miss anything from Ironforge or Qeynos - everthing is there, just built and managed by players instead of NPCs. Its the meaning that citys and villages will be not only social hubs for chit-chat, but also be the places where you actually play the game.

I want different roles in the community, where each other are dependant on each other in some way or another, and together form a real life-like society. I want the game to be a good fundament for community building and role play, rahter than questing and hack and slash. To be extra clear here - of course it must be alot of options and reasons for combat, both pvp and pve, but i dont want the game to be focused on forming teams and grinding of mobs for loot and XP.

Its the medieval Europe, so some key elements need to be representated, or it will not catch the feeling. Food for example. Almost everyone in the middle ages lived by the land. It was what the economy and political system was based upon. Those who owned land had the power. Famine was common and almost synonymous with the dark ages, so what kind of medieval game world would it be if no one had to eat, or where food didnt played any role? In my game everyone have to eat, at least sometimes.

Another key element is the Church. In the medieval Europe, the Catholic church was a very powerful organization, who had a huge influence on the people. I want the players to manage this organization, and fight for the power and climb on the hierarchy within it. Those in charge for the church will be given tools to decide and uphold the rules the rest of the people need to follow to be good Christians. Even if not in charge for the Church, most of what you can do in the game, you can also do by being a member of a monastery. You wont make any fortunes, because all the result of your work goes to the Church. On the other hand, you will not need any money to survive or practice your skills as a monk.

And of course a medieval world must have the classic medieval hirerchy, witch also means social injustice. What made for example Robin Hood to a good story was the fight against social injustice. In this game you will have social classes, and those players on the top of the society will have the tools to rule over their citizens. It will be up the the players to rule wisely. As a Baron or Count you have to set and uphold rules for, and collect taxes from your people. If you are too soft you will end up poor and without power over the people (or other barons). If you are too hard they might give up their land instead of paying taxes to you, and maybe become outlaws, or trying to overthrow you. It will not be an easy task to stay popular with the people, but its not ment to be.

I also want the characters to have needs. The usual is that you only need to care about your avatars health in combat, and maybe your equipments health between adventures. I want to take it a step further, and its also important for the dependence between players the game is built around. I already mentioned the need for food. Other needs can be, for example, personal care or hygiene, who have impact on your social skills, and also affect your chances to avoid diseases, infections from wounds and plagues. Yet another need is to have some fun. This could be symbolized by a visit to a tavern for a drink, or watching the jesters or listen to a troubadours music. Faith also play a role, and a visit to the church for a sermon or confession helps. Needs should work as a tool for players to come together and be dependent on each other, not to be annoying time sink. You should not have to watch over your needs all the time, like in the Sims, or interrupt a quest just because your clothes are dirty.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

A FFA PvP sandbox catered specifically to roleplayers, with draconian rules in place to keep it that way.  Some rules to include limits on how many times 1 person can PK another to prevent griefing. Player A is PK'ed by Player B. Player A is then immortal to player B for, say 24 hours. Player A can still be killed by Players C-Z, though, but the same rules apply. 1 kill per day. Bye bye griefing.

All names will require first and last names and must be plausible to the game world. A bounty system would be in place. Players would recieve 100 gold for every 25 names reported that the game administration deems inappropriate. Game administration would have the final say on that, so as to prevent spite reporting.

The game would feature full frontal nudity, but only certain places will be designated as "safe". Nudity in all common areas, such as outdoors will result in an instant Red status, KOS flagging for NPC guards, and no penalties for players who choose to PK a nude. Death respawns would have the player in the most basic clothing in the game, such as sackcloth pants and shirts. Nothing wrong with nudity in a proper context, but in all the Mortal Online threads discussing that games puported nudity, it seems most don't mind having it, but don't want to see it every time they turn around. I agree.

There are other things I can think of but don't feel like writing them. I'm sure if this game ever got made, it would fail, but that's why I don't make games for a living. ;)

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

My new MMo would have:

The graphics of AoC

The depth of background of LotR

Overarching story quests like LotR

The Character Creation options of CoX

The crafting and diplomacy system of Vanguard

A power tree system to match AC2

WoW style big raids

LotR style two team raids

Your own in game reference book, like WAR’s

DAOC style realm versus realm

The player modding of Never Winter Nights

Dedicated role playing server

With all that goodness, set it anywhere and it is a winner.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Scot

My new MMo would have:
    The graphics of AoC

The depth of background of LotR

Overarching story quests like LotR

The Character Creation options of CoX

The crafting and diplomacy system of Vanguard

A power tree system to match AC2

WoW style big raids

LotR style two team raids

Your own in game reference book, like WAR’s

DAOC style realm versus realm

The player modding of Never Winter Nights

Dedicated role playing server
    With all that goodness, set it anywhere and it is a winner.

a lot of the feature you point are avail in rune of magic lol

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

at least half of em

Might want to elaborate plus if you make it F2P with a Premium membership option your golden.

• EternikusEternikus Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by Eternikus

Well, as I quote in my sig:

Life is an mmorpg. I'm just waiting for God to do a much-needed server wipe.

Very true. Though besides the server wipe i think the game engine needs some re-evaluating. These graphics are getting old. Plus, i think we can use a new expansion. I hear its coming out 2012 :P

• fartking7fartking7 Member Posts: 91

I would execute one every hour until they could come up with a game that is absoultely nothing like WoW.  As this is a likely impossible task, I would refrain from executing the last team member.  He would be required to wipe my butt every day as he designs the WoW clone game.

poopee