Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Botting, NM hunting and drop ratio. What are your thoughts?

2»

Comments

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Botting is not likely to go away, but se did ok on FFXI.  hopefully better on ffxiv

I would hope the HNM window to be shorter.  3 hours window is just too much, not even counting khimaira type window.

As for the drop rate.  Hopefully they raise it at least a little bit.  if they don't change the system all together.

• Eagler777Eagler777 Member Posts: 89

Well then if your telling me its possible, but might cost a little money.. then I dont see why they dont do it.  For instance.. its been awhile since I actually looked at the price, but I think FFXI was $11.95 a month?  Ok, now I dunno there were like 500k players? Well to be 100% honest I would pay an extra $2 or so a month to have them employ people that are always monitoring and coming up with ideas and w/e you said.  I mean, $2 as a person is a small amount.. by 2 X 500,000,  thats an extra $1,000,000 per MONTH they could use to pay for this to happen.. and lets face it.. its just a game, but it could help people out there that are looking for work, and we would get to actually play a game the way its supposed to be for once.

I just hate botters... do these people not understand that they destroy games.. or do they just not care? 

• BellarionBellarion Member Posts: 244

Id pay more to have a bot free game.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

Originally posted by Bellarion

Yeah no doubt I would to.. I was just giving an example that even an extra $2 a month would give them alot of money to deal with the issue.. and I strongly feel that anyone that is not a botter would agree. 

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Eagler777

Yeah no doubt I would to.. I was just giving an example that even an extra $2 a month would give them alot of money to deal with the issue.. and I strongly feel that anyone that is not a botter would agree. 

I agree

• Stilla119Stilla119 Member Posts: 15

I agree with every one's points. NM are a great addition to the game and aside from the good drops it was a pivotal aspect that drove players out of the cities and into the expansive world. Its nice when you die and a raise walks by on their way to a spawn location, and they help you out. So to an extent it un-congested the world and spread the population of low level and high level players.

Not all good gear dropped from NMs, the point systems from Assault and Campaign allowed players the ability to acquire gear that was good gear and it removed the system that HL end game LS suffer from, where as the time placed into a completing goals where not so evenly distributed when it came to looting. I liked this aspect of the game and they could just expand the points accusation to all the content in the game. It makes more sense that you go off and kill a NM for points and trade the points in to acquire gear.

Originally posted by Stilla119

I agree with every one's points. NM are a great addition to the game and aside from the good drops it was a pivotal aspect that drove players out of the cities and into the expansive world. Its nice when you die and a raise walks by on their way to a spawn location, and they help you out. So to an extent it un-congested the world and spread the population of low level and high level players.

Not all good gear dropped from NMs, the point systems from Assault and Campaign allowed players the ability to acquire gear that was good gear and it removed the system that HL end game LS suffer from, where as the time placed into a completing goals where not so evenly distributed when it came to looting. I liked this aspect of the game and they could just expand the points accusation to all the content in the game. It makes more sense that you go off and kill a NM for points and trade the points in to acquire gear.

Dynamis Guilds operated this way anyways, as Dynamis was flawed and unbalanced. Players were forced to produce a points system to even out the awards, why SE didn't see that players were correcting a problem in the system is beyond me but in the future they should reflect upon player generated content such as point systems to correct the game.

Ewww Stilla I have to disagree a little bit.  The way dynamis items were distributed was the opinion of the people that were in that particular group... I do not under any circumstance want anyone to tell me or force me to do things a certain way.. having options is having freedom, which is fun.  For example.. maybe there are 5 PLD going into the dynamis we are doing, and we get the PLD drop.  Ok, now 4 of the 5 either have the item, or have better stuff so dont want it.. and the 5th dont have enough of these points that you are suggesting "Square makes them get" so "we dont have to correct it", then you tell me what happens to that item?  Someone that is not even a PLD gets it? and they have to use points on it they didnt want to?  Or maybe you are suggesting it just goes to waste?

The same goes for NM's.  I don't understand why some of you people don't even see what your saying.. you want a "point" or whatever for killing an NM instead of a drop?  First of all, that system would be completely flawed.  How would you determine what amount of points you would get for killing an NM?  How about killing something like Serket, and lets say its worth 30 points, now most people would take a few members at least to get the spawn and safety in killing it.. so a 5 member group would get 6 points each.. and someone that kills lets say Dune Widow, 3 times in 3 hours and is worth say 5 points each time, that person would have a much easier job and get 15 points. I'm sorry too, we all know some jobs were better than others for soloing.. so is it fair that an RDM or NIN could solo Serket, and I couldnt?  I could go on and on but I dont feel like it right now.  What you people need to realize is that NM's are not the problem.. the botters and gil sellers and w/e were the problem, so come up with ideas to change what is broke, not change things that are not broke hoping the broken item is also fixed when you replace the item that was fine all along.

I wanted to add something also... I am not a person that likes to camp NM's all day all the time, feels like a waste of time to me.. but in my FFXI days, I actually was just passing through and killed Leaping Lizzy one day and got the boots... I want that option... and chance at luck, keeps things interesting.  If it had been done by points.. I would have gotten a point or something which would have been pretty much worthless.. which is another good point... some NM's would never even get killed because it just wouldnt be worth it really.

IDK, if a player has been hunting AF in Dynmais for a year and for reasons out of their controll the AF never drops or there was a error within the LS and or the party and the Item was given to the wrong player and/or the AF was lost, that player is screwed.  How much time is an acceptable amout of time to get AF.  If the Dynamis system awarded points, ( much like the Dynamis LS do now,)  the player could have purchased the AF from an NPC with their points, call it a last chance to gain such gear prior to quiting the Dynamis LS, and possibly the game.

Haha dude, your talking about completely changing the way an entire system works, and taking away our options because of your lack of skill and/or organization.  The only way those things could/would happen is if you and your entire group are not paying attention and are not organized enough to know who should be getting what.  I mean, even your system is flawed.  In dynamis right now, you could get lucky and get 5 drops in the first 5 mins in dynamis, its happened, and the drops help keep it exciting.  With your system, what you have to win to get a point? And how many points would you need for an item? I mean otherwise if you get points just for going, then anyone who is rich could just spend the 1,000,000 every 3 days and never have to even kill anything and still get points.  Furthermore, SE should only have to do so much, and let us, the people, decide how items are going to be distributed, if you dont like how the shell your in is doing it.. go somewhere else or start your own shell with your own rules.  Seriously, why are you all about having our options taken from us?  Have you been to jail and liked it or something? >.>

I dont think its necessary to get worried about FF14 till it comes out. Then we can all love it or hate it. People did play FFXI for years, often tediously, and never did get their AF2... I think that the price could have been changed earlier to 500k and the times allowed changed from 3 days to like 1 and a half.  People still wouldn't have their AFs in huge quantities because of all the hardships that go into getting it aside from the price and times.  But I have recently decided to let FF11 be FF11 and wait untill FF14 comes out to judge it. Im sure Ill be pleased.... 9 years is a lot of experience.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

Haha dude, your talking about completely changing the way an entire system works, and taking away our options because of your lack of skill and/or organization.  The only way those things could/would happen is if you and your entire group are not paying attention and are not organized enough to know who should be getting what.  I mean, even your system is flawed.  In dynamis right now, you could get lucky and get 5 drops in the first 5 mins in dynamis, its happened, and the drops help keep it exciting.  With your system, what you have to win to get a point? And how many points would you need for an item? I mean otherwise if you get points just for going, then anyone who is rich could just spend the 1,000,000 every 3 days and never have to even kill anything and still get points.  Furthermore, SE should only have to do so much, and let us, the people, decide how items are going to be distributed, if you dont like how the shell your in is doing it.. go somewhere else or start your own shell with your own rules.  Seriously, why are you all about having our options taken from us?  Have you been to jail and liked it or something? >.>

Um yeah I am talking about changing the way the entire system works. Its not because I lack skill and/or organization. I would go on but I would rather have a conversation with someone who doesn't attack my screen name, I played for 5 1/2 year I understand the concepts in the game. I hope you enjoy FFXIV, who knows we might be in the same LS where you can try to belittle me there as well. Go off with your bad self, much props, you get a big "E" for effort.

Well, getting back on topic a little bit, I was just sitting here actually thinking about my times camping NM's.  I don't know if it was my natural bad luck or what but if I was forced to make a guess, I'd say I got about 15 drops out of like 1,000 NM's killed through out my entire FFXI time.  I don't think that is very good XD.  Thats just regular NM's I've killed solo, not the gods and kings and stuff.. and not the 100% drop items.  So, I think they shoud maybe up the rate a bit.. or maybe somehow do it secretly individualy based.  Of course better for thiefs, but around the same percentage of drop items aquired by everyone, because I'm sure there are people out there that have got probly 15 drops out of 100 instead of 1,000 >.>  I don't know, just sitting here thinking on the keyboard!

In order to compete with other games in the market now, I think SE will make it a little less tedious. Grind is not really all that bad, in hindsight I like it. It is a very FF thing to do, and FF game takes 80-100 hours or whatever... it is only logical that an FF MMO should take years,... but they need to work on ironing out the "tedious"... im sure they can.

WOOT
    www.eorzeapedia.com
    (Great FF14 source)

In order to compete with other games in the market now, I think SE will make it a little less tedious. Grind is not really all that bad, in hindsight I like it. It is a very FF thing to do, and FF game takes 80-100 hours or whatever... it is only logical that an FF MMO should take years,... but they need to work on ironing out the "tedious"... im sure they can.

I agree to the fullest, I will never complain about the grind.  Had so much fun and so many memories. 

• GameslaveGameslave Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Proximo521

Should they dumb down this game because it was hard for someone to get claim on the NM?

I don't think the game needs any nerfing or dumbing down, just some minor tweaks maybe. I like finding notorious monsters but I like finding them at random. I don't think they should even be capable of being camped, if that's at all possible.
    Do you feel there was a better way with dealing with the Gil Sellers, and if so what were those?

There's speculation that Square-Enix got involved with the practice themselves. I think Square could have 'hired' a group of privately selected players, say those who've reported x-number of successful botted / gilseller accounts, and re-imbursed them for their in-game purchases. Even gilsellers would have to provide receipts for services rendered to prevent lawsuits. Similar to the 'mystery shopping' industry, the gilsellers wouldn't know who was assigned by Square-Enix and the entire endeavor would end up just not being worthwhile. Banning accounts isn't enough. Find the people. Square-Enix might make more money suing these persons on behalf of the MMO community than selling gill themselves. I'm sure there's some kind of legal stipulation that would allow them to press charges.
    EDIT: I just thought of another way Square-Enix could at least limit the number of gilsellers is not just to ban accounts, but ban excessive use of the same credit card, for example no more than three accounts can be made per card, and not within 90 days of each other, just like the World Transfer service. Most families don't have three kids that all play FFXI together on different accounts, and if they do their parents can each use their own card for every three children. In addition to that, they could also restrict the free trial members from claiming notorious monsters or performing bot-enabled tasks like fishing by putting the starts to these endeavors deeper in-game, like Lv.30 - along with the support jobs, you also choose a craft. Taking these steps would make it too much of a hassle for gilsellers to do what they do. They'd have to order another credit card every three months (unless they were banned for RMT in which case they'd need a new card immediately) and they'd have to get at least halfway through the game before they could start exploiting it, and by the time anyone invests that much effort into a character it's not worth getting banned. Less people will be buying because the cost would be higher, as it's harder for gilsellers. Also, they're pretty easily recognizable nowadays. They have no originality, creating six+ accounts with slight variations in their name - all named after cars, "payerONE, playerTWO, playerTHREE", or asdfjkl - completely random lettering. If Square-Enix isn't doing anything about this, or chooses to ignore it, maybe their game isn't worth playing.
    Is it simply something they could have fixed by making all NM items rare/ex?

Yes, but for the loyal gamers, that would be a very bad decision. The ability to share, trade, and sell these items is nothing but beneficial. That's also why there are two versions of each item. If you couldn't obtain the rare/ex you could seek the alternative, and vice-versa. If all items were rare/ex, the competition would be more trouble than the item's worth, and other gaming aspects such as the auction house might be ruined as well.
    Should NM hunting be completely nixed from FFXIV, or is there a better way?

I think there is a better way that I hinted at in the first question. Another way still is to have a kind of hunting list for those who remember the 'notorious monster' equivalents in Final Fantasy X and XII. These were VERY tough to kill in X, and some VERY hard to find in XI. In either case, it took an entire party. Perhaps the NM's and their drops should only be for end-gamers? I realize at first that sounds like a HORRIBLE idea, but It might give them more to do than hang around newbie areas like Giddeus at lv.75 for a lv.17 staff. With each person having that monster on their list, they could take it back to a bounty hunter when the marks have been completed. While drops wouldn't be guaranteed, especially in parties, they would still be rewarded for defeating it, and could seek the monster again later for its drop. That way at least not getting the drop is still not a COMPLETE waste of time and effort.
    Could Square just turn up the drop ratio for these items?

Like making them all rare/ex, it could just end up hurting other aspects of gameplay. Not everyone has the gil to buy items, not everyone has the time to camp NM's (though usually one might imply the other, but everyone starts off small). It's right that the drops are rare and that the prices are high. That's supply and demand. Without balance the value of the items as well as the gameplay itself would be floored.

Abraxas [365]

Oh yeah I forgot I wanted to put this on here along time ago.. like yesterday, and forgot.  They can't just make all the items rare/ex... the ONLY reason they could do that in FFXI was because there was already an establishment built.  They had enough of the purchaseable items in game, and many people high enough level to do the bcnm and whatnot to keep the items flowing.  At the start of the game there is no way they could do that, because there would be way little use for the AH.  So imo, no, thats not gonna be in FFXIV, at least not at the start, and really, the main reason they did that was to stop the gil sellers, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have other ways of dealing with that this time.  Considering, they are very smart, very wealthy, very powerful, and know what to expect this time around.. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Edit: Gameslave, control your big walls of text, nobody reads those, and they are annoying >.>

• GameslaveGameslave Member Posts: 130
    Edit: Gameslave, control your big walls of text, nobody reads those, and they are annoying >.>

Uhh, I'll take that into consideration. But the people who want to read it will. To me, only they matter. Just as many people are annoyed with one-liners. I hardly even look at more than the first two or three of those. This isn't a poll.

In this case the OP asked for thoughts and expressed that he's interested in other people's ideas. His questions weren't yes or no answers. To me it's not enough to say "Square-Enix should do this just because" but it should be explained why.

Abraxas [365]

Originally posted by Gameslave

Uhh, I'll take that into consideration. But the people who want to read it will. To me, only they matter. Just as many people are annoyed with one-liners. I hardly even look at more than the first two or three of those. This isn't a poll.

In this case the OP asked for thoughts and expressed that he's interested in other people's ideas. His questions weren't yes or no answers. To me it's not enough to say "Square-Enix should do this just because" but it should be explained why.

Believe me, I wanted to read that, I like to hear other peoples opinions alot, and I have read alot of yours and I usually agree with you so I like to read what you write... but man, you wrote a damn book there XD