Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does the pre-order concept bugg anyone

2»

Comments

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I don't think the pre-order concept is bad, but how devs and companies now use it is.   

In the past pre-orders were there because companies normally could not produce enough copies of the game for release, and the pre-order was there to guarantee yourself a copy upon release day.   It was also normally $5 - 10 and was taken off of the retail price when you came in to pick up your copy of the game. 

However, now dev's are using the term " pre-order " to charge their customers full price for a game that is not " released ".

Exactly, you're paying to beta test essentially or play a demo.   I can't recall the last single player game demo I ever paid for.  People are so desperate to play anything they're willing to plunk down a few bucks or pay in full.  Sad really.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Josher

Originally posted by thinktank001

I don't think the pre-order concept is bad, but how devs and companies now use it is.   

In the past pre-orders were there because companies normally could not produce enough copies of the game for release, and the pre-order was there to guarantee yourself a copy upon release day.   It was also normally $5 - 10 and was taken off of the retail price when you came in to pick up your copy of the game. 

However, now dev's are using the term " pre-order " to charge their customers full price for a game that is not " released ".

Exactly, you're paying to beta test essentially or play a demo.   I can't recall the last single player game demo I ever paid for.  People are so desperate to play anything they're willing to plunk down a few bucks or pay in full.  Sad really.

You're paying the same money you would have paid later, but you get the bonus of getting in early.  That's hardly the same as paying for a demo. 

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

I pre-ordered LOTRO just to be a founder and get the $199 lifetime pricing. Other than that, I'd never pre-order an MMO. These days I tend to wait for an MMO to be out at least 6 months before giving it a shot, I just tried AoC for the first time last week.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Agreed entirely, I'd never pre-order any game, especially an MMO, simply because we know the dev hype is all crap and most games are released essentially broken and don't get fixed for weeks or months after release.  I won't even look at a game until it's been online for at least 6 months so they can work out the bugs and fix all of their "design features" that make the game otherwise unplayable.

I'm patient, I can wait.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• PonyboyJRPonyboyJR Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by GoldenDog

Originally posted by PonyboyJR

And that leads to another thing, like what Mortal online and Aion is doing, u need to pre order to get into their betas. 
    ... and to be frank i think its ridiculous.

At most online stores, your credit card isn't charged until the game is shipped. 

The people playing in the closed beta got a beta key for saying they MIGHT buy the game.  You can cancel the order.  How is that ridiculous since the company is letting anyone who's interested try it out.

I didnt know if u pre order games u dont get charged, and if you get the added incentive of  playing in the beta,  i think its pretty fair.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I hate the pre-order system, I hate having to pre-order to get in beta, think it's a total rip-off. And by the way MO devs said dedicated people writing interesting posts and contributing in the forums would get a place in beta and suddenly... bam you pay you are in beta. You pay more, great you are in block A, the first to be in.

And fanbots claim that is not pay to play beta. Ok.

That said.. I might make an exception with MO and take the bait. I'm that desperate.