Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch 3.2: Raid lockouts extendable

RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Title of thread pretty much says it all. Raid leaders will be able to extend the raid lockout period for another week if they so wish. This has to be the single best idea to be implemented so far in the game and will really help casual guilds or hardcore guilds working on hardmodes and so on. Full details here:

http://www.wow.com/2009/06/29/patch-3-2-raid-lockouts-extendable/

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I'm not sure that having an extended lock-out is a good idea..   Being the devil's advocate here..  What are the chances that people will stop PUG'ing or smaller guilds will stop recruiting because players will NOT risk being ID'd for a dungeon longer then they want..  Example:  It's Sunday afternoon and I'm thinking of doing Naxx in a pug, or I'm in a small guild.. I know when the lock-out resets, however now I have to worry about it being extended?   Hmmm I might think 2nd about joining a small guild or PUG, if I don't trust the raid leader..   This idea could very well "backfire"..

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by Rydeson

I'm not sure that having an extended lock-out is a good idea..   Being the devil's advocate here..  What are the chances that people will stop PUG'ing or smaller guilds will stop recruiting because players will NOT risk being ID'd for a dungeon longer then they want..  Example:  It's Sunday afternoon and I'm thinking of doing Naxx in a pug, or I'm in a small guild.. I know when the lock-out resets, however now I have to worry about it being extended?   Hmmm I might think 2nd about joining a small guild or PUG, if I don't trust the raid leader..   This idea could very well "backfire"..

I would assume this works the same way as entering an existing naxx run right now works. Thus a raid leader can extend the lockout, but players still have the option to opt-out. 

So when its monday and your raiding ulduar, and then its thursday and you go to the same raid with the same group upon entering it asks if you want to continue, and you as a single player can then opt-out to start a fresh run if you so choose. 

I'm pretty sure they won't give raid leaders the option to enforce raid lockouts on their members. It's an option that is going to be useless in pugs anyways (it's hard enough to get a pug to do 2 days of raiding, let alone more) and will mostly be used in guild-raiding.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Shana77

I would assume this works the same way as entering an existing naxx run right now works. Thus a raid leader can extend the lockout, but players still have the option to opt-out. 

So when its monday and your raiding ulduar, and then its thursday and you go to the same raid with the same group upon entering it asks if you want to continue, and you as a single player can then opt-out to start a fresh run if you so choose. 

I'm pretty sure they won't give raid leaders the option to enforce raid lockouts on their members. It's an option that is going to be useless in pugs anyways (it's hard enough to get a pug to do 2 days of raiding, let alone more) and will mostly be used in guild-raiding.

However, this can be the problem in smaller guilds.. Lets assume your small guild that is trying to "gear" up and advance.. If you use the "lock-out" feature and have it as a opt-in or opt-out by the player, it can still cause problems.. It can very well turn out to be another drama tool in guild politics..  When does it become a bonus to raiding, and when does it discourage players..  The ONLY way I see this feature being of good use is when 100% of everyone involved chooses to "skip" raid bosses by extending the lock out..  Most of my current toons are in need of emblems, so why would I want to skip killing the same bosses again and get emblems?  If you have a raid where some are maxed out and don't care about emblems, then YES, the extention is good for them, but for anyone else that needs emblems, it's not a good feature..

I believe this feature will only benefit large raiding guilds that are trying to complete an "accomplishment" award.. However, I hate to see others use it when it's not appropriate, or wanted and have it add yet another gear in the dramafest that infect more guilds

• WarpigletWarpiglet Member Posts: 78

Extended raid ID at the option of a raid leader is a stupid idea. The raid id should last untill the instance is cleared, period.

Now what would be a good idea would be to allow people to ditch thier current raid id whenever they want to.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Originally posted by Shana77

However, this can be the problem in smaller guilds.. Lets assume your small guild that is trying to "gear" up and advance.. If you use the "lock-out" feature and have it as a opt-in or opt-out by the player, it can still cause problems.. It can very well turn out to be another drama tool in guild politics..  When does it become a bonus to raiding, and when does it discourage players..  The ONLY way I see this feature being of good use is when 100% of everyone involved chooses to "skip" raid bosses by extending the lock out..  Most of my current toons are in need of emblems, so why would I want to skip killing the same bosses again and get emblems?  If you have a raid where some are maxed out and don't care about emblems, then YES, the extention is good for them, but for anyone else that needs emblems, it's not a good feature..

I believe this feature will only benefit large raiding guilds that are trying to complete an "accomplishment" award.. However, I hate to see others use it when it's not appropriate, or wanted and have it add yet another gear in the dramafest that infect more guilds

Guild politics and guild drama are dependent of your guild. I'm in a good social raiding guild and I'm sure we won't have guild drama as we are simply not that kind of guild. Extended lockout will likely only be used for progression content, not on instances you use to farm emblems. 

If you get guild drama over this the problem is not your lockout, its your guild. A good guild leadership will consider the options, weigh in the different viewpoints, make a decision on what content should be done when and then communicate the decisions clearly to its guildmembers. That way people know what they can expect and there will be no drama. Bad guildleadership will always create guilddrama, no matter what the rules are. 

Best way to avoid dramafests is join a guild thats not run by dramaqueens. Always worked for me.