Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Anti-Virus for MMORPG

Well i just bought a bunch of PC hardware to build my first computer! (:D :D)

And i need some reccomendations for anti-viruses.

All i know is stay away from Norton

Edit: Decided to go with Kapersky after some research..i think this chart pretty much speaks for its self.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_services/compare-productskav.php

A BIG thanks to all posters :]

2nd Edit: I will try Avast! free edition, as ive been getting so many reccomendations for it. Its always good to save money too right? ;D

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Type "anti-virus software review" in your preferred search engine.

Here. I'll give you the first two Google gave.

anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333448,00.asp

I have no recommendations of my own.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by luckypotato

Well i just bought a bunch of PC hardware to build my first computer! (:D :D)
    And i need some reccomendations for anti-viruses.
    All i know is stay away from Norton

Norton is actualy the only install, NIS that is, that worked with everything I use/play, I got multible pc's including the one of my GF and having used many different ones I will be sticking with Norton. It is somewhat heavy on your system but if you're building a PC mainly for gaming you will have enough power to run it. I would suggest to stay away from Norton if your PC is in the low spec. range.

Next with Norton I use some other programs aswell, sometimes about once a month I do a online check, just to see if it might detect something Norton didn't, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Also keep in mind what I just said is pure based on my own personal experiance which can be different from others......

And.......you can download trials from most known security programs, as I would suggest to get a whole suite instead of only a anti-virus program.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Norton works great for me. My computer hasn't had any issues since switching to it, but, it has a pretty heavy impact on my gaming with certain games. With those games, I disable it via Start => Run => Services.msc and then reenable whenever I'm done, but Norton 360 has kept my computer pretty safe and clean, where others, like AVG failed horribly.

My computer wasn't built with gaming in mind, it's used mainly for music production with some gaming on the side, and for the most part, I don't notice Norton really killing my performance unless it's AOC, Vanguard, and the likes. Games with hefty requirements like that. Plus, I do need a card update, which I probably wouldn't notice any performance issues even with those titles then, damn Radeon HD 2600xt.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my Norton 360. Good virus protection, firewall works well. I just run Ad-Aware with it and never have any issues.

• guiltyoneguiltyone Member UncommonPosts: 103

Are you looking for a free or paid AntiVirus?

Free: AVG, Avira, and Avast (depending, people will argue over which is better, honestly, in my experience, they're all about the same) 

Paid: Kaspersky and Panda are the only two I use, the others I've tried simply don't compare for what we do at work. At home, it's always been Panda and I've never had problems with games.

Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done.
    Linus Torvalds

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

I have used AVG for years and I have never had a virus on my PC.

Alot of it has to do with your surfing habits as well.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Install "antivirus 2009" .. its the best

Consider AVG FREE.. i use, iInever had a issue has caught many viruses in downloads and on webpages.

• heremypetheremypet Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by coffee

Install "antivirus 2009" .. its the best
    Consider AVG FREE.. i use, iInever had a issue has caught many viruses in downloads and on webpages.

Antivirus 2009 is a virus, so don't.

Any antivirus will work fine with MMOs if you set them up properly.

Some of them have a "game mode" like bitdefender which work well, but for most of them it's best to just turn off automatic scanning, since every AV comes with an "on access scanner", there is no reason to run scheduled full scans.  You probably should still run full scans every week or month or so, or if you believe you have an infection.

Most of the time AV applications interrupt games because of their notifications.  You need to find out why you are getting these and either take care of them or disable whatever it is whining about.  For example Norton 360 will notify you if you have not setup a backup plan, well they really just want you to sign up for their internet backup service so it's best to just disable that notification.  Also automatic updating can cause these notifications.  What I do is set the update method to manual, and then wait until windows security complains that my AV is out of date and update it manually then.  It is unlikely that you will need hourly updates on a gaming machine.  You may also be able to disable the update results notification as well, and keep it on automatic.

I use Avast with sounds disabled and manual updating.

"Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun."

• JeowanJeowan Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by guiltyone

Are you looking for a free or paid AntiVirus?
    Free: AVG, Avira, and Avast (depending, people will argue over which is better, honestly, in my experience, they're all about the same) 
    Paid: Kaspersky and Panda are the only two I use, the others I've tried simply don't compare for what we do at work. At home, it's always been Panda and I've never had problems with games.

I would use Kaspersky, It doesn't slow down your system like Symantecs software does.. it's really quite awesome.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Avast! by far the best, and lowest resource hog

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Symantec is a LOT different then it used to be.

I have the latest and greatest, digital download purchase etc. running with the built in anti-spyware and firewall all that jazz....

and it actually runs quieter (no interuptions or pop-ups) and is LESS system intensive then AVG free ever was.

The new Synantec is teh hotness.

No, I don't work for them, but when I see a good product and a forum question I can give an honest answer to, I'll give it.

• JazqaJazqa Member Posts: 465

I used to use AVG for about year until few months ago when I got some patching issues and I had to change to Avast! they are both same but Avast! can speak ;)

"virus database has been updated"

"caution"

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Norton 360 is pretty good.

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and keep them comming :]

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Don't buy an anti-virus because then you are supporting the creation of more viruses. No need to say more.

Get a free one, I use Avast and very satisfied.

• DeViLmAn0DeViLmAn0 Member UncommonPosts: 201

i agree with the above poster. well int he sense of not NEEDing to buy an anti virus program. ive been using AVG free edition for a long time, and never had ne complaints. i also run spybot search and destroy, and keep adaware around as well. spybot and avg should serve u very well, and arent resource hogs in the background either which is a plus for us gamers.

Waiting For: FF14,Guild Wars2
    RIP: Tabula Rasa&Hellgate:London(online)
    Playing:Fallen Earth&Guild Wars& Dragon Age

• IiIiIiIiIiIIiIiIiIiIiI Member Posts: 4

Hmm I have just renewed a licence for protection program and have to say I am well happy, it's called eset best bit of kit I ever bought. http://www.eset.co.uk/ you get to try it for 30 days if you don't like it then just unistall no biggie, you also don't get spam from laods of other companies unlike when trying to attain a US product.

• DavitDavit Member Posts: 53

Edit: Decided to go with Kapersky after some research..i think this chart pretty much speaks for its self.

I find it ridiculous to look for an honest comparison on a product page. There are too many major AV players missing there, to begin with.

• JeowanJeowan Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Davit

I find it ridiculous to look for an honest comparison on a product page. There are too many major AV players missing there, to begin with.

I work for a globally well known computer repair name and trust me, we put them ALL through many tests.. The best Anti-virus  changes every year with each new product release, and right now.. If I had to choose ONE anti-virus to install.. Kaspersky's AV or IS is where I'd put my money..

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Eset is a San Diego based company, so using the US version would be better if you are from the US.  Its also an incredibly light package.

You might wanna try Windows new anti-virus.  Not sure if its any good.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Years ago, some anti-virus company got busted as being the source of the viruses. Since then, I will never trust a anti-virus I have to pay for. I use Avast. Its simple and reliable, best of all free. No need to pay for somethign if you can get just as good for free.

Also, the microsoft version works well. has alot of neat features. Last time I looked at though, it was a subscription based service so I passed on it.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Personally, I use Eset NOD32 on all my machines and I've never had a problem:

• It's lightweight and unintrusive
    • It's never given me any problems with games (or any other software for that matter)
    • It's consistently rated well by AV-Comparitives, an independent organization.

For a software firewall, I use Comodo (free - replaced my prior favorite firewall, Sygate Personal).  Comodo does offer AV, too, as part of it's suite, but it's only just out of beta, so I would hold off for a bit.

~Ripper

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

www.threatfire.com/

What I use, Not too many people know about it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

The best anti-virus program, I have ever used is "AVAST!".

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

I guess ill try avast. I have nothing to lose anyway, since its free

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by lugal

Years ago, some anti-virus company got busted as being the source of the viruses. Since then, I will never trust a anti-virus I have to pay for. I use Avast. Its simple and reliable, best of all free. No need to pay for somethign if you can get just as good for free.
    Also, the microsoft version works well. has alot of neat features. Last time I looked at though, it was a subscription based service so I passed on it.

@OP: best one you can use is that one you can turn off while playing a game. you aint needing it, ever heart of a mmo that gives you a virus ???

@ Lugal  The Microsoft one live care is one of the best anti-virus I ever used, I get em all free due working a pc shop.

Its yearly sub based or I should say was becource Microsoft has stoped the service (aint selling anymore)  deu to the slow raising of name. any microsoft product has a hard time starting up, specialy in this vista age.

however soon to be they will republish it as Live care anti-virus, it will be a free program whit the option to get the sub based whit anti-root,firewall,anti-spy and trojan. ( or so i heart last time from the MS training dude) 

Free is populair and they hope to spreat the program amoung free users to get a big name.

even microsoft goos F2P nowadays ;)