Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: In-Depth Interview with Lead Designer

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

EJ Moreland, Lead Designer of APB sat down with Christian Nutt over at Gamasutra for an in-depth interview on Realtime Worlds' upcoming cops-n-robbers MMOG.

There is a good bit of philosophical discussion about MMOGs in general in the interview, but Mr. Moreland also spoke about, at length, the viability of their particular game and how their strategy for marketing the game centers around finding a solid core audience, and expanding from there.

Mr. Moreland also spoke about how APB will approach character development without falling back on tried and true mechanics of levels and other typical development designs:

How do you maintain player interest without the carrot-on-the-stick of levels and similar systems? I mean, they maintain them in many games because they are a proven treadmill.

EJ: They're absolutely great. The whole DIKU-style of RPGs is genius in what it does, but there's only a certain group of people that really enjoy it. Now, that's not to say that they're [just the] 10 million people playing WoW, but it's finding what works for your game; finding out how your game works.

For us, we do have functional progression; we do have cosmetic progression; we do have things for players to achieve. It's always about putting things out there, that work for your game, that players want to continue to achieve.

Some games, like Counter-Strike, have no progression, but they still have achievement. You know, people created leagues, they created leader boards -- it really goes to what your game is. Our game is an action game. For us, most of it's going to be about players comparing each other, and seeing how we can weave achievement into that. So, as you achieve, you get things that make you more famous.

Again, the game is really about that celebrity. But there is also, like I said, functional progression. You don't get everything up front, you have to earn the types of cars, the weapons; all that stuff is progression in the game.

For an interesting read, check out the full interview over at Gamasutra.

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Good read. I am looking forward to this game.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Well he says all the right things, but after having seen producer after producer "say the right things" and be full of it, I'm not holding my breath.

GTA couldn't ensnare me for long, but maybe this will do a better job. But if it is just CS with GTA characters with player housing and guilds tossed in, it won't be worth paying for.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Now, THATS a good interview!

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

" Christian Nutt " ???  is either a fake name or his parents had a weird sense of humor.

I spose he's lucky they didn't name him Busta.

Who else is on staff at Gamasutra? Jewish Looney ? Islamic Crazy ?