Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security Token w/ Mog Satchel {in stock}

KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Here we go, its about damn time Square-Enix got these back in stock.  While I havn't exactly been playing FFXI in the past 2 years I've been contemplating returning but with all the gil-farmers getting reamed by SE's Secuirty Team...it would seem they have resorted to hacking and stealing accounts to get gil.  I was hoping to get one of these back in April when they first released and was contemplating a return to Vana'diel but missed out on them.

I will be returning to FFXI on July 2nd and with them having finally become available again today to purchase I ordered one immediately.  Was kinda annoying as they were scheduled to release yesterday {June 28th} and I spent most of it camping the purchase button to no avail.  You can buy them only from within POL on the Log-In screen where you can purchase Content IDs too.

If you're interested in returning to FFXI or already there and you wanted one of these I suggest you think about it quickly and place an order immediately as they didn't stay in stock for long when they first released.  There is no telling how many there are available this time or for how long they'll be in-stock before being sold-out again!

As a reminder you also get the Mog Satchel with every purchase that adds additional inventory space the equivalent of 2 characters which can be accessed from anywhere.  You can never have enough Inv space, especially in FFXI!  GL getting one...I'm happy that mine is ordered and otw soon...

Comments

• AgentsAreGoAgentsAreGo Member Posts: 34

I bought an authenticator for WoW and it's pretty nifty. They're cheaper than the FFXI tokens but they also don't come with any ingame goodies. I'll probably grab one when I have the chance.

Also the mog satchel expands with each gobbiebag quest you complete.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Can the security tokens be used with the Xbox 360 version as well as PC?

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776
    Originally posted by Zorvan

I think so (I could check later on tonight) ... you will need a PC to set everything up, but you should be able to use it to log in using it per usual.

Originally posted by ic0n67

Originally posted by Zorvan

I think so (I could check later on tonight) ... you will need a PC to set everything up, but you should be able to use it to log in using it per usual.

Thanks. Did some digging in the faq and it is useable on all platforms. Ordering mine right now. :)

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

I'm very skeptical as to the security token.  From what I understand, it's battery operated thing rather than USB, which means it could die at somepoint down the road so you'd have to replace it.  However, that's not what concerns me.  I'm more concerned about how does the PlayOnline viewer recognize your security code each time you login?  Since the code is randomly generated each time you go to play, how does PlayOnline recognize your security token as valid?  It just doesn't seem to make sense to me unless they have a randomized number process the requires X, Y and Z patterns to be fulfilled, in which case it seems like it'd be just as easy to hack an account still once the pattern is cracked.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

Originally posted by BlueCadwal

I'm very skeptical as to the security token.  From what I understand, it's battery operated thing rather than USB, which means it could die at somepoint down the road so you'd have to replace it.  However, that's not what concerns me.  I'm more concerned about how does the PlayOnline viewer recognize your security code each time you login?  Since the code is randomly generated each time you go to play, how does PlayOnline recognize your security token as valid?  It just doesn't seem to make sense to me unless they have a randomized number process the requires X, Y and Z patterns to be fulfilled, in which case it seems like it'd be just as easy to hack an account still once the pattern is cracked.

Nothing is foolproof or hackproof. Square-Enix even acknowledges this by telling people to let them know if they've been hacked even with the token. It's just an extra bit of security to make the average hacker look for an easier target.

I mean, you might as well say you're skeptical of evey anti-virus and anti-spyware program out there, as well as every firewall. They are all nothing but an extra bit of security between you and the hacker that makes the hackers either work harder or go somewhere else.

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

I don't even use anti-virus or a firewall... my theory is that if someone's going to hack my PC, they're going to hack my PC.  If I'm going to get a virus, I'm going to get a virus.  Odds of either happening seem slim to me since I don't go to anywhere out of the ordinary or make myself stand out on a regular basis.

Hacking my account is a different story.

I just don't understand the concept behind the concept behind this specific security token's design.  Like... how's the server supposed to know that my current code is XY55TZ?  It doesn't seem to click in my head.  It seems like anyone could just buy one, get someone else's password, then use their own personal security token to login.  That's what confuses me.

It'd make a lot more sense if it were a USB dongle that you plug-in.  The game would access the dongle, recognize the current code, recognize the validity of this doggle that is associated with your account, then you would enter the code into the game.  This removes the need for a battery and ensures that the user is the same person that has it connected.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

Originally posted by BlueCadwal

I don't even use anti-virus or a firewall... my theory is that if someone's going to hack my PC, they're going to hack my PC.  If I'm going to get a virus, I'm going to get a virus.  Odds of either happening seem slim to me since I don't go to anywhere out of the ordinary or make myself stand out on a regular basis.
    Hacking my account is a different story.
    I just don't understand the concept behind the concept behind this specific security token's design.  Like... how's the server supposed to know that my current code is XY55TZ?  It doesn't seem to click in my head.  It seems like anyone could just buy one, get someone else's password, then use their own personal security token to login.  That's what confuses me.
    It'd make a lot more sense if it were a USB dongle that you plug-in.  The game would access the dongle, recognize the current code, recognize the validity of this doggle that is associated with your account, then you would enter the code into the game.  This removes the need for a battery and ensures that the user is the same person that has it connected.

The token is tied to that mass of letters and numbers you get as a login name for one, which I'm assuming is added into the randomizing equation.

For a hacker to use it, he'd have to know that the persons login was example hfny5344, then figure out the randomization for that login AND the sequence of the randomization as well, then the password on top of it.

Then they have to know the login and password for your seperate Square-Enix account ( which ties your Playonline account and your token together ).

So that's two logins, two passwords, and the randomization algorythm that the hacker needs before he can even try to get into your account with the token in place.

In most games, it's fairly easy to guess a persons login because of habits through "social engineering" ( i.e. a person here using the same login for a game they've made known that they play as the name they use here as a forum name ). By Square-Enix  assigning you a random login to begin with, that removes a major part of a hackers first arsenal.

So when you press the button to get a code, the code won't match if it doesn't adhere to the randomization involving that unique login. If the code given matches that algorythm, the software accepts it as valid and allows access with that temporary code.