Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF sandbox thats not Eve

SulioSulio Member Posts: 7

Title pretty much describes it.  Been playing MMO's since EQ1 and have played most of the mainstream ones out there today.  Not really interested in PVP, not a carebear, just gets boring.  Would prefer a decent crafting system.  Can be P2P or F2P not a real issue for me.  I would like one that has a trial, if Its a P2P.  Also would like a decent population(flashbacks of FFXI 2 hours LFG).

Games I've played: EQ!, EQ2, WoW, SWG, FFXI,  WAR, AoC, LOTR, VG, Vendetta Online, Eve, PWI.

Thanks

Comments

• RyonoxRyonox Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Sulio

Also would like a decent population(flashbacks of FFXI 2 hours LFG).

Saying FFXI has a poor population is laughable, have you ever even looked at the yearly census they post every year? I had to transfer off of odin because camps were being overcamped by 6-10 parties, your problem most likely had more to do with you WAITING for a party rather than taking initiative and creating one yourself; and/or poor server choice.

But to answer your question, the only other "sandbox" mmo i can think of other than eve is darkfall :/.

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752

Title pretty much describes it.  Been playing MMO's since EQ1 and have played most of the mainstream ones out there today.  Not really interested in PVP, not a carebear, just gets boring.  Would prefer a decent crafting system.  Can be P2P or F2P not a real issue for me.  I would like one that has a trial, if Its a P2P.  Also would like a decent population(flashbacks of FFXI 2 hours LFG).

Games I've played: EQ!, EQ2, WoW, SWG, FFXI,  WAR, AoC, LOTR, VG, Vendetta Online, Eve, PWI.

Thanks

sorry, you are the quintessential carebear. Dont be ashamed to be it, embrace it even.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Try Ryzom. It fits all your criteria except the community might be too small for your tastes. I've had no issues getting a group together, but I'm still only in the starting area.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• SulioSulio Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Ryonox

Saying FFXI has a poor population is laughable, have you ever even looked at the yearly census they post every year? I had to transfer off of odin because camps were being overcamped by 6-10 parties, your problem most likely had more to do with you WAITING for a party rather than taking initiative and creating one yourself; and/or poor server choice.

But to answer your question, the only other "sandbox" mmo i can think of other than eve is darkfall :/.

Perhaps for higher level content; however, lower/mid-level content, unless your where the right job, you where not getting a group.(titan server)  It was not my intention to annoy the fanboi's, but your post is completely useless, as well as Einstein-DF's.  Neither of you posted anything useful, go troll somewhere else.

Originally posted by Nizur

Try Ryzom. It fits all your criteria except the community might be too small for your tastes. I've had no issues getting a group together, but I'm still only in the starting area.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Perhaps for higher level content; however, lower/mid-level content, unless your where the right job, you where not getting a group.(titan server)  It was not my intention to annoy the fanboi's, but your post is completely useless, as well as Einstein-DF's.  Neither of you posted anything useful, go troll somewhere else.

"But to answer your question, the only other "sandbox" mmo i can think of other than eve is darkfall"

I'm being useful by pointing out he was being useful by mentioning the only other sandbox MMO he knows of. 

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Meh...Darkfall's more of a "clan box" than a sandbox. And besides, they like to spring sudden fees on you, and try to make you buy the game twice.

there really isn't shit for sandbox games out there right now. There's Ryzom, I guess...if you can get into it and handle the clunky controls. I personally found it about as immersive as a chalkboard...but that might just be me.

Ah...there's Wurm Online....never tried it myself but i hear the learning curve is more like a brick wall to the face.

Mortal Online sounds like it might rock....but then again, who knows?? Most of them sound good on paper. Anyway, it's kinda my last hope for a decent MMORPG with more to do than quest / combat 24/7.

Good luck in your search. Wish I had more constructive advice for ya....but if I did, I'd be playin' it.

Originally posted by bleyzwun

"But to answer your question, the only other "sandbox" mmo i can think of other than eve is darkfall"

I'm being useful by pointing out he was being useful by mentioning the only other sandbox MMO he knows of. 

Unfortunately you didn't read the original post either...  Not Eve, not interested in PVP, and would like to have trial...  I would say that if you don't know or have anything useful to post, then why bother???  I'm starting to see similarities between this forum and WoW official forums... 

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Meh...Darkfall's more of a "clan box" than a sandbox. And besides, they like to spring sudden fees on you, and try to make you buy the game twice.
    there really isn't shit for sandbox games out there right now. There's Ryzom, I guess...if you can get into it and handle the clunky controls. I personally found it about as immersive as a chalkboard...but that might just be me.
    Ah...there's Wurm Online....never tried it myself but i hear the learning curve is more like a brick wall to the face.
    Mortal Online sounds like it might rock....but then again, who knows?? Most of them sound good on paper. Anyway, it's kinda my last hope for a decent MMORPG with more to do than quest / combat 24/7.
    Good luck in your search. Wish I had more constructive advice for ya....but if I did, I'd be playin' it.

Thanks, you too.  I'll check out Wurm, don't mind learning curves.  I'll have to check out Mortal Online as well, haven't heard much about that one.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Unfortunately you didn't read the original post either...  Not Eve, not interested in PVP, and would like to have trial...  I would say that if you don't know or have anything useful to post, then why bother???  I'm starting to see similarities between this forum and WoW official forums... 

I did read the original post.  I did notice that you don't want PvP or Eve.  My point was Darkfall was the only other sandbox MMO that he knew of, and you were a prick about it.  There aren't many sandbox MMOs out there, and that was his suggestion.  You want one from me?  I've heard of an indie game called Link Realms.

Also, you talk about similarities between this forum and the wow forums, yet you were the one calling people trolls.  You said that FFXI had a poor pop, so he corrected you.  What's trollish about that?

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Nizur

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Yep, you should check out Ryzom, it is the hidden gem of the mmo genre.

And while the overall population is not big, there is only 1 English server, and I found it to be reasonably populated.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• TeliaXTeliaX Member Posts: 15

I did read the original post.  I did notice that you don't want PvP or Eve.  My point was Darkfall was the only other sandbox MMO that he knew of, and you were a prick about it.  There aren't many sandbox MMOs out there, and that was his suggestion.  You want one from me?  I've heard of an indie game called Link Realms.

Also, you talk about similarities between this forum and the wow forums, yet you were the one calling people trolls.  You said that FFXI had a poor pop, so he corrected you.  What's trollish about that?

Actually FFXI probably has the lowest pop of any P2P game, why? You share all servers with the japanese community, where most P2P MMORPGs have seperate servers. You can hardly interact with most Japanese players, and most (not all) avoid the NA players, and vice versa. There's a large timezone difference, and all in all, unless you have a pack of friends on hand, you DO sit around on your butt for 2 hours. You can "take initiative" and BEG everyone in every zone to play with you, but that's not very fun at all. The only reason I can see anyone playing that game is they're addicted - or they have a group of lackeys they rely on to level them up and get them items.

I recommend Fallout 3, it's not an online game, but it's a very good sandbox RPG. You can go where you want, do what you want, customize the game all you want with addons (if you get the PC version) and you get a house you can decorate with your favorite weapons and items. Heck, you can even make any location in the game your home, if you protect it with land mines. It's my favorite single player game, and it's very fun to use V.A.T.S.

Good luck in your search for the right game for you!

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Thanks

Sandboxes worth trying:

Ultima Online.... yes... it's old... the graphics aren't the greatest in the world... but it's by far the best sandbox MMO out there besides EVE currently and still has a pretty decent population.   And you can play on either the PVP shard or the PVE shard.

Ryzom ... I hesitate to really call this one a sandbox but it's not horrible.  It's worth trying.  Not my cup of tea but some do like it and it's got a nice trial period so worth checking out.

Ragnarok Online is another sandboxy game (very similar in a lot of ways to UO actually) that you could try out.

Wurm is worth looking at but, frankly, don't go in expecting too much. 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• D4C1K4D4C1K4 Member Posts: 5

Check out Perpetuum. Should be released late 2009/ early 2010.

It is a persistent sandbox MMO with heavy focus on PvP. It will also have missions, instances, etc.

I am a developer of the game, so if you have questions send me a PM. We have also been just registered to mmorpg.com.

www.perpetuum-online.com