Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no ranked Guild v. Guild BGs?

rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I wonder why Blizz. doesn't add an Arena-like system for competitive Guild v. Guild Battlegrounds, where your guild can get a Guild PVP ranking and points like Arena points to get PVP gear.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

So it looks like we might actually be getting something like this afterall, maybe not tied to your Guild though.

• Remii718Remii718 Member Posts: 164

I personally hate Forced pvp.  A gvg battleground system would force someone like me to actually run BGs on a set schedule.

This is the reason I hate arenas, I don't want to set a schedule with other players to enjoy a game. Blizzard forces me to do this by putting the best gear in those systems.

Give me Join all random bgs and random 5v5 Arenas that I can do anytime of the day or night and overtime still get the nice gear and WoW would be perfect.

This being organized and having to run on schedule defeats the purpose of WoW being a casual game.

Just look at 5 man heroics and 10 man raids, these things are completely puggable and so popular. everything in WoW should be like this imo.

Playing: WoW, EvE

Interested in: TOR, ER, GW2, WoD, Dust514

Originally posted by Remii718

I personally hate Forced pvp.  A gvg battleground system would force someone like me to actually run BGs on a set schedule.
    This is the reason I hate arenas, I don't want to set a schedule with other players to enjoy a game. Blizzard forces me to do this by putting the best gear in those systems.

Give me Join all random bgs and random 5v5 Arenas that I can do anytime of the day or night and overtime still get the nice gear and WoW would be perfect.

This being organized and having to run on schedule defeats the purpose of WoW being a casual game.
    Just look at 5 man heroics and 10 man raids, these things are completely puggable and so popular. everything in WoW should be like this imo.

I don't get it.  You can still do that.  No one is making you do organized PVP.  Getting the very best gear in WoW has always required scheduled grouping, and it used to be harder.

Originally posted by rikilii

I don't get it.  You can still do that.  No one is making you do organized PVP.  Getting the very best gear in WoW has always required scheduled grouping, and it used to be harder.

If you want the best gear you need to revolve around a schedule.

While 10 mans heroics don't give me the best possible stuff they atleast keep me close to the hardcore players in game.

I don't mind that the 25 man guilds get tier 8.5 while I have access to 8.0 but with pvp I have no option like that.

Maybe let us run pugged 5v5 arena and BGs and get similar gear just .5 lower? Right now since I can't revolve around a schedule I'm stuck in blue pvp gear that's a massive gap. A gap blizzard dealt with on the pve side of things.

Instead of making the pvp scene more hardcore centric I think they need to revamp pvp like they did pve.

Once they do that I'm all for more stuff for the hardcore players that can treat WoW like a second life.

While 10 mans heroics don't give me the best possible stuff they atleast keep me close to the hardcore players in game.

I don't mind that the 25 man guilds get tier 8.5 while I have access to 8.0 but with pvp I have no option like that.

Maybe let us run pugged 5v5 arena and BGs and get similar gear just .5 lower? Right now since I can't revolve around a schedule I'm stuck in blue pvp gear that's a massive gap. A gap blizzard dealt with on the pve side of things.

Instead of making the pvp scene more hardcore centric I think they need to revamp pvp like they did pve.

Once they do that I'm all for more stuff for the hardcore players that can treat WoW like a second life.

Why do you care about having the "best gear" if you're playing casually.  The game has never been that way?  There has to be a reason to play hardcore, and in WoW, the reason is getting the best gear.  Even now, you can get stuff that's only a notch below the arena stuff by just using honor and running VoA.  And if all you wanna do is pugged BGs, what difference does it make?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of limiting the best gear to Arena, which is why I like the idea of having organized BGs as an alternate path.  I guess it would be fine to have the same gear available with Honor too, perhaps a TON of honor and only as upgrades from the lower tier (e.g. you can get a top tear peice by trading in a peice a tier lower plus 75K honor).

But that's all beside the point, which is that organized BGs make it possible to have a whole different level of strategy and competition than you can get in pugged BGs.

Why do you care about having the "best gear" if you're playing casually.  The game has never been that way?  There has to be a reason to play hardcore, and in WoW, the reason is getting the best gear.  Even now, you can get stuff that's only a notch below the arena stuff by just using honor and running VoA.  And if all you wanna do is pugged BGs, what difference does it make?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of limiting the best gear to Arena, which is why I like the idea of having organized BGs as an alternate path.  I guess it would be fine to have the same gear available with Honor too, perhaps a TON of honor and only as upgrades from the lower tier (e.g. you can get a top tear peice by trading in a peice a tier lower plus 75K honor).

But that's all beside the point, which is that organized BGs make it possible to have a whole different level of strategy and competition than you can get in pugged BGs.

I have a problem with running pve content to get my pvp gear (VoA/Heroic badges).

I would much rather just have blizzard toss a set on the BG vendor (thats a tier or so) lower than what the big boys have in Arenas.

It's not really about what the hardcore guys have, it's whats avaialble to me and right now due to High rank arena shit requiring a organized group that runs arenas all the time I dont have access to that even if i wanted to try for it little by little.

Atleast back in TBC I could slowly BG for a epic armor set.

I don't like being having limited access since I don;t play 40+ hours a week. It should atleast be available for people with limited time, even if it takes months to get.

Right now If I only BG I have access to crap.

• cainhuntercainhunter Member Posts: 14

I have a problem with running pve content to get my pvp gear (VoA/Heroic badges).

I would much rather just have blizzard toss a set on the BG vendor (thats a tier or so) lower than what the big boys have in Arenas.

It's not really about what the hardcore guys have, it's whats avaialble to me and right now due to High rank arena shit requiring a organized group that runs arenas all the time I dont have access to that even if i wanted to try for it little by little.

Atleast back in TBC I could slowly BG for a epic armor set.

I don't like being having limited access since I don;t play 40+ hours a week. It should atleast be available for people with limited time, even if it takes months to get.

Right now If I only BG I have access to crap.

Actually you have access to nice pvp gear just by paying honor (gained from any form of pvp), normally its arena gear (2 seasons back) which is pretty much the same difference from 10 man to 25 man.

• chunky_slicechunky_slice Member Posts: 79

Blizzard have alreayd made comments in the past in interviews that organizing 10-15 people would take too much effort on top of running PvE raids.

Also it would mean that Arena has failed and people prefer battlegrounds. But I think even Kalgan is giving up on ramming arena down people's throats. Blizzard's thinking was that battlegrounds had their time in Classic WoW with the honor ranking system and everyone should play arena now.

I know this cant be proved but I think blizzard failure when it comes to PvP has cost them at least 500,000 subs and most likely closers to 1,000,000 in EU/NA.

I just dont understand why WoW's sub numbers have virtually stayed the same for the last 18 months even though the game has been made more casual friendly and with its MASSIVE advertising budget. EQ was still rising in numbers after 5 year and hit its peak only a few months before WoW came out. So dont give me that WoW is old crap.

Originally posted by chunky_slice

Blizzard have alreayd made comments in the past in interviews that organizing 10-15 people would take too much effort on top of running PvE raids.

Getting 15 people together to run BGs for 30 minutes or an hour would be a lot easier than getting 25 people together to raid for 4 hours.

In any case, the info release at Blizzcon indicates they ARE doing this, so they musta had a change of heart.

• chunky_slicechunky_slice Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by chunky_slice

Getting 15 people together to run BGs for 30 minutes or an hour would be a lot easier than getting 25 people together to raid for 4 hours.

In any case, the info release at Blizzcon indicates they ARE doing this, so they musta had a change of heart.

Its still unclear. And for all we know the ratings could be player by player based rather than just team win/lose.

But the line Blizzard used for years was that "casuals" would find it hard organizing a team for 10-15 people to be online at once for ranked games since they were "casual" and they didnt want WoW to be like "a full time job" and didnt want to "organize their live around a computer game".

Basically casuals killed ranked bg's for a long time. But even Kalgan has realized that Arena is only a niche thing and that battlgeounds have to be on the same level. It took Blizzard 2.5 years to realize that issues with Arena.

Blue posters have hinted in the past they were working on a ranking system where it evaluated each players individual performance in relation to battleground objectives. Which for obvious reasons was never going to work. I could have told them that.

Then again, I could have told idiotcrawler and Mr. 50 foot mace stun house a lot of things.