Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online - Limited Edition #001 eBay auction

2»

Comments

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by jaspr180

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

Did you consider using a little common sense when trying to reason well over 2500 dollars over the lifetime of a game is a bit insane? at the current rate of 15 dollars per month you're still talkining over 14 years. Some great deal goin on there /facepalm.

I'm all for reputable charities don't get me wrong, but the incentive being offered by SV is no great deal if you have even a small ounce of common sense.

Edit point: And as far as the charity bit is concerned you would be surprised how much more money could be generated either via small  donations made by the playerbase over the few crazy high bids. Hell SV could even opt to take  a s mall part of the first months sub fees and donate them and probably do more good than what a few crazy people are willing to pay.

You ever been to a charity auction or event?    Its pretty typical that people pay absorbent amounts of money for more than the VALUE your getting out of it.     A $15,000 Harley Davidson with some guys autograph will go for $150,000.    A  guitar autograhed by your favorite singer will go for $50,000..  and so on..    Are people just bitter or what here?   Yea I understand that you dont see the value in it, because it isnt there at this price.   This is for someone who  just wants to support StarVault AND give money to a good cause.   FFS Talk about greed here.

What in that post there demonstrates greed? I won't hold my  breath waiting for an intelligent response to that question.

See my latter posts in which I make a much more compelling argument that not only includes more people in the ability to make a charitable donation but also maybe a real fan who lacks more sufficient funds at the chance of winning a prize they otherwise have no chance at.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

It's a charity item it will go for a good bit of money.  Plus the chance to go have a free night of drinks with devs is pretty cool.  Could you imagine what some WoW fans would pay to go get smashed with the Blizz devs?  With no other incentive.. I bet it would go for 10x more.  They are in Sweden, but man if I had vacation and some extra dough i'd be all over it.

• GalgrimGalgrim Member Posts: 4

<snip boring>

You ever been to a charity auction or event?    Its pretty typical that people pay absorbent amounts of money for more than the VALUE your getting out of it.     A $15,000 Harley Davidson with some guys autograph will go for $150,000.    A  guitar autograhed by your favorite singer will go for $50,000..  and so on..    Are people just bitter or what here?   Yea I understand that you dont see the value in it, because it isnt there at this price.   This is for someone who  just wants to support StarVault AND give money to a good cause.   FFS Talk about greed here.

I support this post, and getting back on topic - How much do you guys think it'll end up at in 2 days time? I'm guessing about 15k or so at the rate it's going!

• jaspr180jaspr180 Member Posts: 96

Did you consider using a little common sense when trying to reason well over 2500 dollars over the lifetime of a game is a bit insane? at the current rate of 15 dollars per month you're still talkining over 14 years. Some great deal goin on there /facepalm.

I'm all for reputable charities don't get me wrong, but the incentive being offered by SV is no great deal if you have even a small ounce of common sense.

Edit point: And as far as the charity bit is concerned you would be surprised how much more money could be generated either via small  donations made by the playerbase over the few crazy high bids. Hell SV could even opt to take  a s mall part of the first months sub fees and donate them and probably do more good than what a few crazy people are willing to pay.

What in that post there demonstrates greed? I won't hold my  breath waiting for an intelligent response to that question.

See my latter posts in which I make a much more compelling argument that not only includes more people in the ability to make a charitable donation but also maybe a real fan who lacks more sufficient funds at the chance of winning a prize they otherwise have no chance at.

Greed is trying your great value or a good deal from a charity auction.     Just read your post, its like your bitter that someone isnt getting their monies worth from a charity auction.     

To your second point which I didnt even bother to reply to in the first place.   So, though they put a item out that obviously some people feel is unique and interesting enough to pay thousands for, your asking for more?  When does it end?    As my prior post, Harley Davidson donates a bike for charity, it costs them $XXXX amount to manufacture  but you would whine about why doesent the company just take $1 from every bike they sold through the year and donate that instead because obviously it would be more.   Of course it would, but it isnt the point.     I see your not impressed with the whole thing for whatever reason, but personally I think its a great gesture and awesome publicity for a small independent company to do stuff like this.    I hope they keep it up in the future and I hope more dev studios follow. 

<snip. missed the point completely>

That wasn't the point I was making at all. Earlier I made a comment about the value to an end user in relation to how much I would expect people to bid. I wouldn't expect most people to bid large sums of money for a game. There are many ways that they could allow more people to participate in this charity cause at sums of money easier to part with which could aid in a larger donation.

There is nothing greedy about what I have stated at all it just would seem like a  more genuine, and productive charity drive in which more people interested in the game could participate in.  The funny thing is you  want to make me look like an asshole for:

1. Actually being in favor of raising money for a charity
    2. Wanting a system that more of the MO community could actually contribute to the charity ( as it stands now for the charity through this auction you at least have to have over $2550 to "donate" to it..
    3. A chance for the hardcore fans of the game to have a chance at winning the  special prize. Not just whoever has the deepest pockets.

Maybe my point earlier got too broken up for my point to be made clearly. There is nothing greedy about wanting to raise more money for a good charitable cause. Nor is it greedy for the focus to be raising awareness and funding to the cause itself greedy. Tell me how again this is GREED for them to raise a higher amount of money to donate to the charity.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

That wasn't the point I was making at all. Earlier I made a comment about the value to an end user in relation to how much I would expect people to bid. I wouldn't expect most people to bid large sums of money for a game. There are many ways that they could allow more people to participate in this charity cause at sums of money easier to part with which could aid in a larger donation.

There is nothing greedy about what I have stated at all it just would seem like a  more genuine, and productive charity drive in which more people interested in the game could participate in.  The funny thing is you  want to make me look like an asshole for:

2. Wanting a system that more of the MO community could actually contribute to the charity ( as it stands now for the charity through this auction you at least have to have over $2550 to "donate" to it..
    3. A chance for the hardcore fans of the game to have a chance at winning the  special prize. Not just whoever has the deepest pockets.

Maybe my point earlier got too broken up for my point to be made clearly. There is nothing greedy about wanting to raise more money for a good charitable cause. Nor is it greedy for the focus to be raising awareness and funding to the cause itself greedy. Tell me how again this is GREED for them to raise a higher amount of money to donate to the charity.

In response to your new main points:

1) If you are really in favor of raising money, there are still many ways for you to do it.  If you really care about it, just donate.

2) Again, everyone can still donate if they want to

3) Hardcore fans can have many other chances to win stuff... But is this about the charity or about hardcore fans winning stuff?  You contradict yourself.

They're doing a nice thing for charity, why not leave it at that?  Why criticize them for not being charitable the way you want them to be charitable?  How about criticizing all of the other devs out there who aren't giving to charity?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

So, to boil it down, you think it's a nice thing for them to do, but your complaint is that it's just not nice enough.

You strike me as the kind of guy that would find something to complain about with getting a BJ....

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Rohn

So, to boil it down, you think it's a nice thing for them to do, but your complaint is that it's just not nice enough.

You strike me as the kind of guy that would find something to complain about with getting a BJ....

<CENSORED RESPONSE>

many developers and studios give to charities and have fundraising campaigns. Most even do so in ways more inclusive and available to the majority of their community.

Anyways, I forgot that this was the mmorpg community and having an intelligent conversation is about as likely as having tender foreplay with a tree shredder.

many developers and studios give to charities and have fundraising campaigns. Most even do so in ways more inclusive and available to the majority of their community.

Anyways, I forgot that this was the mmorpg community and having an intelligent conversation is about as likely as having tender foreplay with a tree shredder.

So intelligent conversation cannot involve disagreeing with you?

Originally posted by madeux

I was basically galled greedy which is what i was clarifying. I understand there are multuple ways to raise money for charity. just seems like they are going theopposite of the norm to which will only garner less money for their charity and a larger number to boast on the box sell is all i was stating.

As soon as  a person gets attacked for having a different opinion on fund raising methods and gets likened to complaining over blowjobs.. yea.. the IQ level of the thread went sub basement at that point.

I was basically galled greedy which is what i was clarifying. I understand there are multuple ways to raise money for charity. just seems like they are going theopposite of the norm to which will only garner less money for their charity and a larger number to boast on the box sell is all i was stating.

As soon as  a person gets attacked for having a different opinion on fund raising methods and gets likened to complaining over blowjobs.. yea.. the IQ level of the thread went sub basement at that point.

So you're choosing to focus on a single negative point... they're just not doing enough.  Crude as it was, the blowjob comment was accurate.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

You were complaining about an act of charity - an ACT OF CHARITY, because it doesn't pass muster with you, isn't the norm, isn't the way you would do it, etc.

Indeed, the psuedo-intellectual might acknowledge an act of generosity, but often seems compelled to churlishly offer criticism where none is warranted or needed.  IQs... yeah.

Again, some people will complain about ANYTHING.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I agree its out of the norm.  Normally a company would just donate $1 from all the beta preorders, and offer the customers a chance to match their donation or donate more.   That would be an easy 10 - 20k.  It feels like a PR move gone wrong.

• CzechmateCzechmate Member Posts: 16

Actually being in favor of raising money for a charity
    Wanting a system that more of the MO community could actually contribute to the charity ( as it stands now for the charity through this auction you at least have to have over $2550 to "donate" to it..
    A chance for the hardcore fans of the game to have a chance at winning the  special prize. Not just whoever has the deepest pockets.

1.) You cry a lot.

2.) http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/14396-challenge-mo-community.html

^^ Oh look, the MO community of people who wish to donate money to the same charity as StarVault have found a way to do it without StarVault doing it for them!  Donating money to charities is hard to do, how are they ever going to manage pulling this stunt off?!!

3.) The "special prize" differs from the other 998 Limited Edition boxes in that it comes with a lifetime subscription and an invitation to Malmo Sweden (travelling expenses not included) to drink beer with the dev's. But wait! The CEO already said that if anyone else wants to show up on the date of the get together, they can! Amazing! So really, you're just crying because not everyone can afford to win an overpriced life time subscription and can schedule a night with the dev's for some free beers. Of course I'm sure StarVault are a bunch of jerks because they're making people pay for their own travel expenses too, right?

Let's do some math real quick. LE box #1 is currently at a bid of $3300 at the time of me posting this. Average market price for a subscription fee is 15 dollars a month. Just to be on the safe side, we'll assume they're charging 15 euros a month instead of USD. 15 euro's is about $20.

3300/20 = 165.

165/12 =13.75

So, for low low price of 165  months (almost 14 years) worth of subscription fees, you get a life time subscription and an invitation to take a vacation to Sweden for a few beers! Wow, those rich people sure are lucky!

Try to be less stupid, and less whiny please.

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154

Looks like there's a new P.T. Barnum...

Smelly fish #1 - Star Vault's a public company and their CEO continues to sell and buy stock is large quantities to make it look active.

Smelly fish #2 - Preorders with incentives are released before any public exhibition of the game. Including a special ebay edition.

Smelly fish #3 - Two carefully conducted 'observations' are posted on their forums but still no gameplay demo.

Smelly fish #4 - We've seen this all happen before and it didn't turn out well.

What I don't understand is why people are acting like lemmings here. Star Vault is taking advantage of you because you are letting them. They need to show the public more than crafted videos or powerpoint demonstrations. Everything about this stinks.

Don't say I didn't warn you.