Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are people still playing?

cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

Well, I am away from home and using and old lappy, and I have heard about this game, but never played it. I was thinking of trying it out. My questions is (as the titles states) are there a good amount of players?

Thank you.

Playing:WoW, GA
Played:WoW,WAR,AoC,EQ,CoH,GW,EVE,Aion
Want to play:SW:TOR

Comments

• cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

anyone know about this?

Playing:WoW, GA
    Played:WoW,WAR,AoC,EQ,CoH,GW,EVE,Aion
    Want to play:SW:TOR

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

This game is dying out, I would suggest trying a different one. Like maybe Mortal Online, its going to be as close as it gets to UO.

The population is diminishing. The last time I played there were about 10-15 people at the "busiest" city during prime time hours. There used to be so many people that your screen would not even fit them all. The game is great, but you're basically playing all by yourself. Its even more empty than Vanguard. You have totaly freedom doing basically everything, no classes no levels. If you're still interested, they have 14 day free trials. Just go to their main site.

• killian74killian74 Member Posts: 1

alright.... so.... here's the deal with UO.

it used to be huge. like... HUGE huge.

problem is... the game kept changing. =/

and that's unfair to say, because in many ways the developers inproved it.

but the game became much more item based. and while it is still an amazing game in my opinion.

truely unending.

it has lost it's old story telling feel.

long ago there were fantastical characters... like Lord British. And Blackthorn. Minax and others...

but now... no one plays for the story line. no one tries to discover the game. it's been explored already.

everyone is just trying to farm thier items.

But.... If you do try it.

It'll be like no other MMORPG.

It is, in my opinion. The BEST.

Even without a whole lot of players...

But we all know how to change that!!!

BRING MORE PEOPLE IN!!!!

Anyways... Give it a shot. And please please please for your sake.

DON'T TRY THE 3D VERSION!!!

2D is almost perfect! and honestly the graphics they used on thier old 2D engine... is so close to 3D... you won't even notice it's 2D. I promise. The 3D version though, is crap. (sorry again developers)

Personally... I think that's what killed this game....

All the NEW changes and formats.... EA fubared this game as far as marketing and thier "Modernized" version.

Try the 2D. Give it a shot. And look online for help if you need it. Uo.stratics.com is best. =)

Anyways... Hope you enjoy!!!

- Lucian, Lake Austin Shard.

• LashayLashay Member Posts: 104

Would say there are still about somewhere in the region of 50k people playing (majority probably still in Japan) which translates into somewhere between 75 to 100k subs (players with multiple accounts). Been at this number for quite a while too as those that are left are ones unable to break their addiction

These numbers still makes it bigger than many MMO's out there. But because the amount of servers they have is geared towards their hayday of 250k subs, as they have big difficulties mergeing them (housing),  the playerbase is pretty thin on the ground making many servers seem pretty empty

Player base took a serious nose dive about 6 months to a year after AoS but seems to have leveled out over last few years and would say it will remain at those numbers for many years to come (barring another AoS)

I need a new MMO world to call home as Tom Chilton keeps destroying them

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Yes people are still playing UO and more than many people would think. Many have been returning lately as well and we have a new expansion comming out fairly soon (Stygian Abyss). So yes the games still kicking, yes people still play and yes it is still getting patches, updates and expansions oO.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I have just started playing, the place I start after the tutorial is actually full with people, not sure what the rest of the world is like, I don't know if there is a hub or anything, so far though I am enjoying the game. I plan on writing about my expierences, the first of which can be found here thatmmoguy

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Luna bank and Brit bank are the main hubs. Brit bank has the Arcane Circle that gives the +1 for Spell weavers focus and Luna is pretty much the trading hub. EM event hall is also in Brit.

Edited to Add: For those that do not know, EM = Event Moderators. They setup and run live events for the server they reside on.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Well, let's see...

1. There are still 24 official shards (servers) running.

2. It's still impossibe to find a spot for a house on most shards. BTW, you MUST have an active account or your house degrades and disappears.

I'd say there are quite a large number of players.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Granted, there arent many people playing the game, but its not a ghost town.  I played last year for awhile and people were giving me all kinds of cool items and a huge amount of money.  Plus, I placed a large house in a matter of a few hours.  That was unheard of years ago.

UO is a game of imagination and dreaming.  No glitzy graphics.

I played the game back in 1997 when there was no Trammel.  When anyone could kill you.  I started out in the City of Trinsic and PK'ers roamed just outside looking to gank you and take all your items.  I had to get my hiding skill up just to survive.

Anyways, I think you will enjoy the game.

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Well, let's see...
    1. There are still 24 official shards (servers) running.
    2. It's still impossibe to find a spot for a house on most shards. BTW, you MUST have an active account or your house degrades and disappears.
    I'd say there are quite a large number of players.

And all of those houses are owned by people with multiple accounts and are members of UO housing who sell houses for RL cash, much like the Gold farmers sell gold for RL cash, two things which AOS helped make very possible and added to the downfall of UO.

Those who arent house horders or gold farmers are hackers and cheater who now have total and unchecked dominance over the game because EA did nothing to stop them. Hell, Id even say they know the games coding better than the developers do.

bottom line, UO is dead. SA is just another pile of garbage that is going to be tossed onto the heap that has already been dumped onto the game.

UO's only hope now is that Richard Garriot pulls his head out of the clouds and instead gets UO back from EA and fixes it.

• CadwyrCadwyr Member Posts: 13

UO was my first and all time favorite MMO.  I tried to come back a couple of years ago, and I couldn't.  It had changed too much. The magic was gone for me.

I still have my closed account... just in case I want to bring my GMs back to life... but I don't think I'll be returning anytime soon.

UO, DAoC, FFXI, GW, WoW, LOtRO, WAR... <UO is still my favorite... >

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by outfctrl

Granted, there arent many people playing the game, but its not a ghost town.  I played last year for awhile and people were giving me all kinds of cool items and a huge amount of money.  Plus, I placed a large house in a matter of a few hours.  That was unheard of years ago.
    I played the game back in 1997 when there was no Trammel.  When anyone could kill you.  I started out in the City of Trinsic and PK'ers roamed just outside looking to gank you and take all your items.  I had to get my hiding skill up just to survive.

Oh, thats bull about the PKs camping just outside the walls of trinsic. If they did that, then every blue glory hound or person looking to collect a bounty would have been out there killing them. More trammie propaganda trying to make the old days look like a 24/7 gankfest.

Take it from someone who ACTUALLY played in the old days, It was a lot of things back then, but a gank fest wasnt one of them. No, thats just crap flung by the lousy players who got owned by 1 guy and lost a Ruin sword and a suit of armor, then ran into town and claimed they just got jumped by 12 guys. Then, when no one listened because it was obviously bullshit, they went on the forums and whined and cried. Unfortunately, the developers of the game believed this crap and made trammel. Then EA wormed their way into total control of the game and utterly killed it with AOS, trying to make UO into another item dependent EQ clone.

The most you'd ever get "ganked" by was maybe 2-3 guys at peek hours in a popular dungeon like Hythloth or around the Bone Wall in Deciet or in Destard. Other than that, youd encounter the lone red out in the wilderness once in a while.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by vaultbrain

Originally posted by outfctrl

Oh, thats bull about the PKs camping just outside the walls of trinsic. If they did that, then every blue glory hound or person looking to collect a bounty would have been out there killing them. More trammie propaganda trying to make the old days look like a 24/7 gankfest.

Take it from someone who ACTUALLY played in the old days, It was a lot of things back then, but a gank fest wasnt one of them. No, thats just crap flung by the lousy players who got owned by 1 guy and lost a Ruin sword and a suit of armor, then ran into town and claimed they just got jumped by 12 guys. Then, when no one listened because it was obviously bullshit, they went on the forums and whined and cried. Unfortunately, the developers of the game believed this crap and made trammel. Then EA wormed their way into total control of the game and utterly killed it with AOS, trying to make UO into another item dependent EQ clone.

The most you'd ever get "ganked" by was maybe 2-3 guys at peek hours in a popular dungeon like Hythloth or around the Bone Wall in Deciet or in Destard. Other than that, youd encounter the lone red out in the wilderness once in a while.

What I meant was, outside of Trinsic, not right at the city walls.  I was getting my lumber jacking up, in the woods maybe a mile or so from the city.  I agree on the Bone wall.  Been killed numerous times there.  Also, I remember a tactic used by PK's.  I got jumped one time walking on the road.  There was a pile of gold, armor and some weapons laying there.  My friend and I stopped to grab the loot.  Three guys came out of nowhere and jumped us.  ooOOoOOoo

I have to admit, it was fun playing that game.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Chessy server is still pretty active.

Atlantic is very active.  If you want a lot of people, start there.

• RothnirRothnir Member Posts: 41

Why is such a large amount of the estimated 50k players from Japan? 

And to those on this board who still play it: What is keeping you even after 12 years?

I find it incredibly fascinating that a game has something that keeps you going for such a long time with a world deserting more and more.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Rothnir

And to those on this board who still play it: What is keeping you even after 12 years?
    I find it incredibly fascinating that a game has something that keeps you going for such a long time with a world deserting more and more.

Freedom to do whatever you want with your character. Different types of templates, you aren't locked into one role from character creation. You can influence your skills and stats based on what your character does. Full access to all areas of the world to explore, you don't have to be a certain level to go to a certain area.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Rothnir

Not sure about the 50k number of UO - might be slightly more, but yes more than half of UO's populace is in asia (mostly Japan)

Why is it so popular there?

Maybe because they have still seers, counselors, and GM's holding events. Also the asian shards have a small seperate development team and they also actively promote UO there.