Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrade or Buy a New One???

PsiLordPsiLord Member Posts: 14

I have a Gateway M-6308 and it's starting to overheat when I run Fiesta. I really want to try playing more games like Aion, so should I upgrade the memory or should I just buy a new computer? And would it be a desktop or a laptop? I need something with wireless capibility. I know nothing about technology except the basics, but I am willing to know more. Thanks for your help if you can help me.

Comments

• DeathreatDeathreat Member UncommonPosts: 143
  • daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

I really dont know the system you have,try and post all the specs it would be a great help.

Also a desktop is always better than a laptop but the more info you can give with regards to graphics card and ram etc would help people to help you,also what sort of budget you are on.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

M-6308 Notebook Specifications

Part Number: 2905980RGateway M-6308 Notebook

Feature Description

Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2330

1.6 GHz | 1 MB L2 cache | 533 MHz FSB

Chipset Intel® GL960

Display panel 15.4-inch Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT display (1280 × 800)

Memory 1024 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 512)

Operates at 533 MHz

Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots

Maximum memory: 2 GB

Audio High definition audio - 2 channel

Hard drive 80 GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive

Optical drive 8X Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM

Write maximum: 8X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW discs

Read maximum: 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R/RW/ROM discs

Modem Integrated V.92 56K modem

Network 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN

Memory card reader 5-in-1

•Memory Stick®

•Memory Stick Pro®

•Multimedia Card™

•Secure Digital™

•XD

MiniSD and RS-MMC (when used with adapter that is supplied with card)

Interfaces •Three - USB 2.0 ports

•One - VGA port

•RJ-11 port

•RJ-45 port

•Headphone/SPDIF Audio Out jack

•Microphone jack

•One - Lock slot

•Power input

Pointing device Touchpad with vertical scroll zone

Fingerprint reader No

Expansion slot Expresscard® Type 54

Battery 6-cell Lithium-ion

Dimensions 1.1 to 1.50-inches (H) × 14.00-inches (W) × 10-inches (D)

25 to 38.10 mm (H) × 355.60 mm (W) × 254.00 mm (D)

Weight 6.29 pounds

2.85 kilograms

Looks like a 4~5 year old laptop.  Get a new machine.  You can't upgrade this to play games.  You want a desktop.  It will be capable of more and not overheat.  What desktop you get depends on your budget.  Look at spending atleast $400 on a new desktop since you are coming off a laptop.  You would need most of the basics that people usually recycle from their old machine like a keyboard/Mouse, and Monitor.

You wont get any better help on this forum than from cleffy,

So you have your answer :)

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

• PsiLordPsiLord Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by daylight01

I really dont know the system you have,try and post all the specs it would be a great help.
    Also a desktop is always better than a laptop but the more info you can give with regards to graphics card and ram etc would help people to help you,also what sort of budget you are on.

it has 1gb of ram and Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 1.6o GHz processor and I think an Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family graphics card... and I'd spend no more than $800 maybe $1000

I would post some really nice systems you can get for that price,though I am in the EU.

I am pretty sure cleffy will sort you out were to look :)

Originally posted by Cleffy

M-6308 Notebook Specifications

Part Number: 2905980RGateway M-6308 Notebook

Feature Description

Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2330

1.6 GHz | 1 MB L2 cache | 533 MHz FSB

Chipset Intel® GL960

Display panel 15.4-inch Ultrabright™ WXGA TFT display (1280 × 800)

Memory 1024 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 × 512)

Operates at 533 MHz

Total slots: 2 DDR2 slots | Available slots: 0 DDR2 slots

Maximum memory: 2 GB

Audio High definition audio - 2 channel

Hard drive 80 GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive

Optical drive 8X Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW with DVD-RAM

Write maximum: 8X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW discs

Read maximum: 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, 5X DVD-RAM, 24X CD-R/RW/ROM discs

Modem Integrated V.92 56K modem

Network 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN

Memory card reader 5-in-1
    •Memory Stick®

•Memory Stick Pro®

•Multimedia Card™

•Secure Digital™

•XD

MiniSD and RS-MMC (when used with adapter that is supplied with card)

Interfaces •Three - USB 2.0 ports

•One - VGA port

•RJ-11 port

•RJ-45 port

•Headphone/SPDIF Audio Out jack

•Microphone jack

•One - Lock slot

•Power input

Pointing device Touchpad with vertical scroll zone

Fingerprint reader No

Expansion slot Expresscard® Type 54

Battery 6-cell Lithium-ion

Dimensions 1.1 to 1.50-inches (H) × 14.00-inches (W) × 10-inches (D)

25 to 38.10 mm (H) × 355.60 mm (W) × 254.00 mm (D)

Weight 6.29 pounds

2.85 kilograms

Looks like a 4~5 year old laptop.  Get a new machine.  You can't upgrade this to play games.  You want a desktop.  It will be capable of more and not overheat.  What desktop you get depends on your budget.  Look at spending atleast $400 on a new desktop since you are coming off a laptop.  You would need most of the basics that people usually recycle from their old machine like a keyboard/Mouse, and Monitor.

THANKS FOR THE HELP ALL OF YOU!!! :D Espcially Cleffy! Thanks!

I found a thread on building a desktops starting at $400 and increasing in increments of $100 for $500. I just don't know the difference between the AMD version and the Intel one.

This laptop fits in you budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152087

As for a desktop go with something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227125

for a Monitor go with either this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254005

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145

Personally I would go with the first monitor and the desktop.

Intel is the PC performance leader for people who have big wallets. AMD is the price-performance leader for the everyday gamer.

Well intel is the best(awaits abuse)

What you should do mate is wait for some ppl to reccomend a system to you pre-made and the prices,You are willing to spend a decent amount of cash and will get a good gaming system,I know in the EU I could point you to a few online shops that would suit you fine.

Well intel is the best(awaits abuse)
    What you should do mate is wait for some ppl to reccomend a system to you pre-made and the prices,You are willing to spend a decent amount of cash and will get a good gaming system,I know in the EU I could point you to a few online shops that would suit you fine.

Yeah, I spoke to my mom, and she is willing to get me a new desktop, so I've decided to just get one already made.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

You really shouldnt buy a premade one...I find it that buying all the parts seperately is cheaper without having to upgrade anything from a pre built one. But if you're not one of the person that doesnt know much about computers, then I guess getting a prebuilt one is the best way to go.

Originally posted by csthao

You really shouldnt buy a premade one...I find it that buying all the parts seperately is cheaper without having to upgrade anything from a pre built one. But if you're not one of the person that doesnt know much about computers, then I guess getting a prebuilt one is the best way to go.

hm.. I guess ill just have to think about that then, whichever will get me the most for my money would be good

• BranXBranX Member UncommonPosts: 79

Build a computer yourself, buy all the parts from a good site like newegg.com/ca then just build it slowely with online help

Originally posted by BranX

Build a computer yourself, buy all the parts from a good site like newegg.com/ca then just build it slowely with online help

ok, will do, I guess that means alot of research xD

Originally posted by PsiLord

hm.. I guess ill just have to think about that then, whichever will get me the most for my money would be good

No offence mate but I strongly suggest you dont build yourself a pc,There really are alot of things to consider and if you dont know what you are doing you will end up with a very expensive paper weight.

Maybe some guys will give more site's for you in the US and at good price's.

No offence mate but I strongly suggest you dont build yourself a pc,There really are alot of things to consider and if you dont know what you are doing you will end up with a very expensive paper weight.

ok, ill think about both

Agreed, its not worth it unless you have some preexisting knowledge of pcs.

• UgottawantitUgottawantit Member Posts: 146

Last year I threw my 4k custom made piece of junk in the closet and went to the store and bought an HP for 1/4 the price. It has a tarabyte hardrive,  4 gigs of ram, quadcore processor and an nvidia 9600gt.  It games great and didn't cost a fortune. In two years everything will be obsoleat,  you end up buying everything all over again.

Don't spend to much on something that doesn't last that long.

ok, ill think about both

Not to sound rude but there is nothing to think of.

Lets be honest mate you did not know anything about intel or amd,now you want to build a pc.

Everything when you build a system has to be right,from the case to the psu.

Save your cash and get an upto date gaming system and learn from there.

Just some friendly advice,it is easy for others to spend YOUR cash,I am just trying to save you some tears.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

The cost savings from building your own PC comes from reusing components. If you have to buy a case,powersupply and drives as welll as a copy of windows, you won't be saving anything.

ok, anyone reccommend a desktop within my budget?

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Silvermink

The cost savings from building your own PC comes from reusing components. If you have to buy a case,powersupply and drives as welll as a copy of windows, you won't be saving anything.

Disagree. Of course, it all really depends on what components you buy and WHERE you buy them from...

but my most recent computer (EDIT: this computer is now a year old) is an intel e3110 on an Asus p5n32-e board. It had 2 gigs PC6400 DDR2 at the time of build, and a very powerful after-market CPU cooler. I also bought a new case, a new 750w power supply, and a brand-new 8800GTS graphics card. New copy of Windows Vista too. I DID however reuse the hard drive, but..

I spent around $800 US. At the time it was built, comparable shelf models (who tended to have lower quality RAM or mobos) ran  $1100-1200. I saved money AND had better parts,

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Don't forget the Monitor and the Keyboard.  There are only a few system builders that are cheaper then building all yourself and they typically come with some problems where knowing how to build it yourself comes in handy.  If you don't know much about computers don't bother building your own system, there are alot of steps.  Usually you step into building your own system by replacing parts.  Eventually when you feel confident enough you build a complete system from parts.  Easiest option is to use NCIXUS.com to build a configured PC for you.

Originally posted by terrant

Originally posted by Silvermink

Disagree. Of course, it all really depends on what components you buy and WHERE you buy them from...

but my most recent computer (EDIT: this computer is now a year old) is an intel e3110 on an Asus p5n32-e board. It had 2 gigs PC6400 DDR2 at the time of build, and a very powerful after-market CPU cooler. I also bought a new case, a new 750w power supply, and a brand-new 8800GTS graphics card. New copy of Windows Vista too. I DID however reuse the hard drive, but..

I spent around $800 US. At the time it was built, comparable shelf models (who tended to have lower quality RAM or mobos) ran  $1100-1200. I saved money AND had better parts,

750watt psu for that system?

You may have saved cash on the build but you are slowly eating away at that from the electric bill :P

ok thanks for the help