Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the funnest instance? (in your opinion)

Hello,

I've never played this game but I'm considering giving it a try.  Instead of asking for specifics on what instances are like and such I just wanted to get an idea of what most fans find cool about the instances.  I assume they must have more than your standard tank n' spank (sorry i hate that term too) fights.  So I figured the best way to get an idea about what this game has to offer combat wise would just be to ask for anecdotes about what instances (raid or group) you've found most fun.  Also I've played several MMOs, including WoW, so I'm fluent in general MMO jargon.

Thanks

Comments

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

This isn't a raiding/grinding instance, but a story instance. My favorite one was where you got to play as one of the dwarf captains (freaking strong dorf, like 18k morale) during the dwarve's last stand in Moria. Getting swarmed by orcs left and right, cleaving through them like a hot knife through butter. Then finally making one last final stand in that one chamber with the tomb, besting the orc leader in a duel, but then realizing it futile when he calls for elite troll backup.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

The storyline instances are pretty much single group instances and are very cool if your into the LOTR story. If you like raid type group instances I would have to say the Rift was pretty popular (level 50). It took  a team that could come up with a strategy and follow through with it to be successful, and it had some of the best loot items to be had in the game at the time before the expansion pack. I can't comment on how things are  with the expansion that is out now since I quit playing just before that expansion.

• YeeboYeebo Member Posts: 1,359

My personal favorite so far is the Loremaster level 15 class quest instance.  It's a puzzle that can be solved several ways. 

Carn Dum and the fight with Helcham is also a favorite.  Deep in a level 50 6 man instance (one of the hardest in the game pre MOM), you fight  a giant tentacled monster.  You all hide behind a pillars to trick it into knocking them down.  After it knocks down a pillar the melee guys run to the end of the pillar and start wailing on it, while the missle guys and the healers stay on shore.  At some point it will go underwayer, grab the pillar, and drag it down into the lake.  If your melee guys don't get off in time they all die horribly.  Takes about six pillars to kill it.

The battle to retake weathertop is another favorite.  Hard to explain, but it's a big ass battle with a lot of trolls.  If you do the fight at the level it is intended, everyone in your party will be pushed to their limits.

The human prologue instances are yet another favorite.  The storyline that emerges when you do all of them is awesome.  And it links into the storyline of quests that you won't be doing until around 50.  

Fornost is the final one I'll mention.  It is an instance intended for characters in their mid to late 30s.  A very long dungeon, takes something like 6 hours to clear it with a good party.  Almost no-one bothers to go though it.  If you are willing, you will end up with gear you won't replace until around 50, and you will have a very fun series of boss fights. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Yeebo

My personal favorite so far is the Loremaster level 15 class quest instance.  It's a puzzle that can be solved several ways. 
    Carn Dum and the fight with Helcham is also a favorite.  Deep in a level 50 6 man instance (one of the hardest in the game pre MOM), you fight  a giant tentacled monster.  You all hide behind a pillars to trick it into knocking them down.  After it knocks down a pillar the melee guys run to the end of the pillar and start wailing on it, while the missle guys and the healers stay on shore.  At some point it will go underwayer, grab the pillar, and drag it down into the lake.  If your melee guys don't get off in time they all die horribly.  Takes about six pillars to kill it.
    The battle to retake weathertop is another favorite.  Hard to explain, but it's a big ass battle with a lot of trolls.  If you do the fight at the level it is intended, everyone in your party will be pushed to their limits.
    The human prologue instances are yet another favorite.  The storyline that emerges when you do all of them is awesome.  And it links into the storyline of quests that you won't be doing until around 50.  
    Fornost is the final one I'll mention.  It is an instance intended for characters in their mid to late 30s.  A very long dungeon, takes something like 6 hours to clear it with a good party.  Almost no-one bothers to go though it.  If you are willing, you will end up with gear you won't replace until around 50, and you will have a very fun series of boss fights. 

I dont normally do this but QFT :D

Retake weathertop, Fornost and Helchgam are also some of my favourite (none raid) instances! In RW you fight all your way to the top of Weathertop and then you fight the boss. You kill him and think its all over and everyone is happy.. Then a huge elite troll comes running towards you and wipes the entire fellowship (lvl 22 instances btw) :) sadly I think they "nerfed" it so you only need a small group for it now.

In Moria I actually enjoy alot of the end bosses in the instances. Like the spider boss in Skumfil. You have to kill alot of spiders to get to the boss and they respawn Very fast so everyone have to keep moving all the time and kill them as fast as possible. When you pull the boss the respawns stop. This is a huge spider with the wierd Moria fungus growing on it, really nasty looking! She pukes out posion clouds which kills everyone standing in it and she have a knockback skill which easily can cause a wipe. At certain points she walks away and calls on adds. Its maybe 30 minutes of constant frantic combat, and its alot of fun.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• arebareb Member Posts: 144

My fav instances...

Rift (level 50, 12-man raid) - If you are lucky enough to find a group for this, this is the most well designed content in the game.  No fight is trivial, all are interesting.  The last fight with the Balrog is probably the best in the game.

Library (level 53, 3-man instance) - On level this instance is challenging and very fun.  Depending on what classes you have the fights will be very different.

Fil Gashan (level 60, 6-man instance) - My favourite hard mode instance... You get to disguise as orcs and sneak through the place!  How you get those disguises is interesting as well, and the boss fights are all fun and have multiple stages.