Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Obama missing an opportunity to promote change in Iran?

Why is he sitting on the fence? Now is the time to make inroads by fully supporting the demonstrations.

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Supporting demonstrations can harm relationships with the people who are in charge.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

Wisdom today is seen as queer, wrong, and even "dangerous."  I would not be surprised if a Republican party member said that Obama is somehow "dangerous" for his reaction to the demonstrators in Iran.

If the USA supports this movement too much, then the regime might quash and quelch the opposition.  Thank God McCain/Palin were not elected because they would not have been able to handle this situation.  It is my belief they would have been running around like their hair was on fire, start-up another war, and do more harm than good for those on our side.

It is refreshing, really, to have an actual Pres. today.

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Why is he sitting on the fence? Now is the time to make inroads by fully supporting the demonstrations.

I agree. He should try it and see what happens. If it all turns to shit he can always load from a previous save point.

Oh wait, this isn't a video game and real people are losing their lives daily.

Ask Bush 41 about encouraging foreigners to defy their government. Obama, being a student of history, knows that any direct statements made will only fuel the fire, as well as paint America as the instigator to every Muslim in the region, yet again. He might as well encourage Catholics to shit in the Pope's hat while he's at it.

It's times like these that I'm very grateful we don't have Bush or McCain as president.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Because by "doing" something, it will look like American intervention. The movement in Iran which was started by the Iranian PEOPLE will be turned into a propaganda event that the Iranian government will excuse to crack down.

Think of it like when you see your friend and his girlfriend having an argument over money issues that has nothing to do with you. You butt in and tell Buddy's girlfriend you think she's wrong and should listen to reason, and then she turns around and accuses you of being the one who put Buddy up to this in the first place.

It's not our business so we should butt out for now and let another COUNTRY handle their own affairs. The sooner the U.S. learns that if people around the world want to be free, they have to stand up, risk being killed and only then will they have earned a lasting democracy like the colonists did against England.

You cannot hand people democracy on a plate or they don't respect it. Haiti, Afghanistan, Iraq and a whole host of other "democracies" prove that.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

The west is already getting blamed for the riots.

Agents of the terrorist group Monafeqin grouplet (Mujahedin Khalq Organization) have been found and arrested among the agitators of Tehran streets in the past few days, according to Intelligence Ministry.

Arrested people have confessed that after being trained in Iraq, they have infiltrated into Iran and that they were guided and supported by MKO operation room in Britain.

Iranian television broadcast their confesses and their telephone conversations with a number of leaders of that grouplet in which they ordered them for sabotage like setting fire on buses, gas stations, attacking the Bassij barracks and demolishing public properties.

The commanding headquarter of the grouplet which supports and finances terrorist actions in Iran and Iraq is located in the outskirt of Paris, France.

The British government removed the grouplet's name from the terrorist group list last year, so that they could expand their centers to guide operations in the country.

english.iribnews.ir/NewsBody.aspx

the video:

www.youtube.com/watch

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

And if the rebellion is squashed we have made the exact opposite.  Either way, it isn't our business right now.  Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a tyrant, and needs to be gone, but we need to stop playing world police.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

I'm not sure what can be done about Iran, but going the same route of Iraq is only going to end in failure.

"Ideas are bulletproof"

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Doesn't matter what the U.S does.. it will always get blamed for everything.

CIA, Iran and the Election Riots - June 14, 2009

www.youtube.com/watch

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Precusor

Doesn't matter what the U.S does.. it will always get blamed for everything.
    CIA, Iran and the Election Riots - June 14, 2009
    www.youtube.com/watch

Part of the burden of being a superpower im afraid.

As for the OP's question first very brief and rough history lesson. many years ago the old goverment of Iran was overthrown and taken over by the Tsar who was supported and advised by the CIA and given help in gaining controll of Iran. The Tsar turned out to be a bit of a despot killing and harming the iranian public. This ahppened with the support of the CIA as Iran was needed to  controll the region. When the Tsar was overthrown the truth came out and the iotolla used this as 'proof' that america is the great satan.

This is probably why America wont interfere just yet becuase if the iranian public found out then the current iranian goverment could use this sort of action to rebuild there support.

In other words interfering will just make things worse right now.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

Is it the place for the bankrupt US to DICTATE to the rest of the world how they should run their governments, like is Washington DC the Capitol of the ENTIRE WORLD, entitled to mandate how all other regions should run their governments?
    The US, with a government full of criminals and lifelong politicians.

You apparently are ignorant about the late 1970s with the US CIA (ineffective) operating out of the US Embassy in Iran.
    Likewise you are ignorant the US overthrew Iran's democratic (pro-soviet) government and installed a dictator (like it did in MANY Central and South American countries.)

Ignorant about it was the US that STARTED Iran's nuclear/weapons program as reward for the shah to continue allowing the US to operate spy bases in Northern Iran to monitor Soviet missle operations.

About how it was the fault of the US that theocratic moslem (Ayatollah Khomeini) came to power and control of that country.

About how the US acting as mercenaries for Saudi Arabia; the main reason for diverting it's "war on terror" from Afghanistan into Iraq was to protect the suni moslems (baath party) that under sadam had perpetuated his fraud government improving the position of fellow sunis at the expense of Kurds and Sheites; those Sheites had a 30 year grudge against those suni moslems, and it was going to be a blood bath of revenge! It was a US concern to protect those suni death squad members (often trained by US CIA agents as the CIA also trained the shah's secret police death squads) btw these same Iraqi suni (trying to maintain some semblance of power due to the now Sheit-Kurd government) are the ones that are largely responsible for the ongoing insurgent hostilities in Iraq against US occupying troops and criminal no-bid contractors !!!

Likewise ignorant the US used jews help CIA sell weapons to the same 1985 Khomeini (that btw was supplying the shia Hezbollah holding more US hostages in Lebanon!) govt.
    Or the US supported sadam's invasion (and even took part in murdering most of Iran's Navy) in 1980.

A little anti christain history about the area. notes

So yes, it would be VERY unwise for the US to chirp in and try and tell the Iranians how they should properly run their government.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think the situation in Iran demands no action just like Obama is doing.  First the opponent people are rioting for has executed thousands of Iranians.  It would be replacing a Tyrant with a Ruthless leader.  2nd how would people feel if Great Britian felt like they needed to vocally support the Tea Parties in the US?  The rioting is something that needs to be handled by Iran for its own pride.  Also the Rioters may not even represent the majority.  A situation where we were to intervene would be just like Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan in the 1970's.  I don't like to repeat history.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I think the situation in Iran demands no action just like Obama is doing.  First the opponent people are rioting for has executed thousands of Iranians.  It would be replacing a Tyrant with a Ruthless leader.  2nd how would people feel if Great Britian felt like they needed to vocally support the Tea Parties in the US?  The rioting is something that needs to be handled by Iran for its own pride.  Also the Rioters may not even represent the majority.  A situation where we were to intervene would be just like Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan in the 1970's.  I don't like to repeat history.

I agree. Changing mindsets does not happen overnight, and using brute force is not going to help.

"Ideas are bulletproof"

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Precusor

The west is already getting blamed for the riots.

So what are you saying?

That because we are "already getting blamed" for it already by a few small, insignificant groups and not the world at large (who really matter), we should interfere in Iran anyway?

You always make some strange statements without explaining the point to them. I wish you'd stop that.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Sometimes wait and see is the best approach. Perhaps a few more general words in support of democracy and human rights could be in order but now is the time to chill and pray for the people.

I think Obama is mostly right here and exercising wisdom. It's a tough call and I think his call and I think he is making the right one.

We should hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Fishermage

Sometimes wait and see is the best approach. Perhaps a few more general words in support of democracy and human rights could be in order but now is the time to chill and pray for the people.
    I think Obama is mostly right here and exercising wisdom. It's a tough call and I think his call and I think he is making the right one.

Too bad that isn;t what we are doing .. My neighbor was sent to the region months ago... Oh nvm lol.

• SabiancymSabiancym Member UncommonPosts: 3,150
    Originally posted by deviliscious

Too bad that isn;t what we are doing .. My neighbor was sent to the region months ago... Oh nvm lol.

The "region"......

You know Iran is right in between Iraq and Afghanistan right?

Originally posted by Sabiancym

The "region"......

You know Iran is right in between Iraq and Afghanistan right?

My neighbor is related to a religious leader in Iran.  I am not at liberty to discuss the details, but I will say he is not there for recreation.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

hmmmm. lol.

hmmmm. lol.

Told ya so

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Some Iranians disagree on the election results, but all Iranians agree on their universal hatred towards the USA.

Stay out of it or you might unite them with their common hatred of America.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

I think Obama has a little more latitude to comment now that Iran's Guardian Council has affirmed the claim that many cities had more votes cast than eligible voters.

I would expect a statement concerning this today.

• murdera2k6murdera2k6 Member UncommonPosts: 474
    Originally posted by Wickersham

Some Iranians disagree on the election results, but all Iranians agree on their universal hatred towards the USA.

Exactly what I was going to say, if you get involved, they will unite on their sole hatred towards America and dsiregard the election results and aim their fury at America, if that's what you want, by all means do so but don't cry afterwards.

"If they can make Penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you," - Muhammed Ali

Originally posted by murdera2k6

Exactly what I was going to say, if you get involved, they will unite on their sole hatred towards America and dsiregard the election results and aim their fury at America, if that's what you want, by all means do so but don't cry afterwards.

While I wish that we would stay out of it, that is not how our corrupt officials work, nor did the consquences stop them from doing so in the past. I have no idea why they cannot leave well enough alone. Regardless of what is made public, they always have their noses in everyone else's business.  The only candidate that would have kept us out of everyone else's business was RON PAUL, but people do not take him seriously.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Get a grip people.

Obama is not staying out of this, he is deep in the middle of it. He's playing the game the way the regimes in the ME do it.

WE have CIA assets in Iran put in place during the Bush years. Obama is pulling their strings to help overthrow the regime, while at the same time saying he's staying out of it.

This is EXACTLY how the ME regimes do things, and Obama is turning the tables on them.

Oh, this is an Iranian thing, we're staying out of it. (ok guys, stir up more trouble!)

This is the PERFECT way to handle this situation.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by murdera2k6

While I wish that we would stay out of it, that is not how our corrupt officials work, nor did the consquences stop them from doing so in the past. I have no idea why they cannot leave well enough alone. Regardless of what is made public, they always have their noses in everyone else's business.  The only candidate that would have kept us out of everyone else's business was RON PAUL, but people do not take him seriously.

Ron Paul's policy., Pull all US troops from all over the world back to the US. Bend over and let all other countries give it to you up the bum in the curreent global economy. THEN get rid of the paper dollar and go to the gold standard.

Gee, wonder why no one takes him seriously? That's such a great plan.