Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You will be PKed and griefed until you quit the game, again

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Just like every other hardcore game you have tried.

You cried when you got tank rushed in Red Alert.

You created Trammel.

You ruined Mordred.

You quit Shadowbane at release.

You quit AoC after seeing their patches and community.

You laughed at Darkfall for trying.

You made fun of EVE online because it is a space game.

Why try another hardcore game?

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

You created Trammel.
    You ruined Mordred.

Wow...another DF and it's players are the hardest post.  Nice.  Another carebears beware post.

I wish DF players wouldn't even mention Shadowbane.  So that us Shadowbane vets don't have to be lumped in with you guys.......

I guess I don't understand.  Since players like you are so obviously hardcore and dominant, wouldn't you want the legions of carebear wusses to play with you so you can slaughter them?  Why try to "scare" them away with your tough talk?

• UnrealPTUnrealPT Member Posts: 4

I remember when runescape was released, all that ganking, at first it was annoying but then I came to like it, because there was other things to do, and the free pvp put the danger in it (Those stable ambushes!).

I hope this game will do that, the sense of danger when you step out of town ("to get chicken eggs for the cook" AHAHAHAAH)

Also I'm a fanboy of UO, and this game makes think of UO with Oblivion come together (At least devs make me think that).

I don't care if it will be a disappointment, some day someone will do it right.

Maybe Bethesda will do it, dunno. :S

Let us enjoy the hype :D

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

Working alignment system.  You didn't get ganked left and right in Lineage 2. 

Some people will want to play a criminal; playing a criminal doesn't mean being able to run around killing people just for the hell of it.

Griefing has nothing to do with PvP.  It happens in PvE games, and it's usually not allowed in MMO's.

When you make a ffa PvP game with full loot, and your PvE is busted, the only thing you have to do is kill other players.  DFO's mechanics encourage pointless PvP.  That's the devs fault for creating an alignment system that allows you to go red with no risk or penalty, and no content outside of riding around killing people; not the ffa PvP.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

This is funny. No matter how many times people are told this game is about PvPing (call it ganking/griefing), they will insist it should be a PvE.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Moretrinkets

This is funny. No matter how many times people are told this game is about PvPing (call it ganking/griefing), they will insist it should be a PvE.

Ganking/Griefing isn't PvP.  Its PKing.   This game is supposed to have harsh penalties on red name ( 10% stat loss ), attacked at towns, " blues " don't lose alignment against reds, etc.  Sure there will be the red names that run around, but its going to be very unsafe to play as one ( your house is the only safe spot ).

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Ganking/Griefing isn't PvP.  Its PKing.   This game is supposed to have harsh penalties on red name ( 10% stat loss ), attacked at towns, " blues " don't lose alignment against reds, etc.  Sure there will be the red names that run around, but its going to be very unsafe to play as one ( your house is the only safe spot ).

and why they should? just because you dont like dying to red players? i die a lot, but I kill plenty myself...

seriously, you mazohists, why play a game which has game mechanics that you dont like??!! Then when you do buy the game you want the devs to chnage these core mechanics, which they never will so you get depressed some more, whats the point?

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

The problem with most PvP-centric MMOs is, that you can't level up your toon without getting griefed all the time.

This is where EvE Online does excel and stand out from the usual griefing-contests. You don't need to level up in the hostile areas, you can fly around in total safety in high-sec-systems, staying in a NPC-corp.

If you feel, that you're ready for the PvP, you can enter low-sec or join a 0.0alliance and get the party started and if you're fed up with PvP again, you can step back into a NPC-corp again and enjoy flying missions in high-sec again, or do some trading and stuff.

---

So the problem isn't really the open world PvP, it's the crappy implementation of it in most MMOs.

Introduce safer areas like in EvE, with guards reacting upon agression and killing the agressor and there wouldn't be so many complaints.

Have high/er rewards in the unguarded areas, to draw people into them, after they've leveled up their toons, and you've a game with a choice for both sides... risk vs. reward.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

I like the way Shadowbane does it. You get a tracking skill that lets you see who is near you. This gives you a chance to get away.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Cristina1

and why they should? just because you dont like dying to red players? i die a lot, but I kill plenty myself...
    seriously, you mazohists, why play a game which has game mechanics that you dont like??!! Then when you do buy the game you want the devs to chnage these core mechanics, which they never will so you get depressed some more, whats the point?

Plain and simple answer;  To promote other play styles.    I don't really care if I die from a red player, but for some reason you think I do.

• ShowTheWorldShowTheWorld Member Posts: 5

What was the point of this post, lol? To show the MMORPG.com community how hardcore you are, with threats of uber ownage in mortal online? Please kid, go check out the darkfall forums, its where you belong.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I've always found it odd that people think you should be punished for killing other players in a Player vs Player game. It's like having a $50 fine for walking on the sidewalk. If you're in an open PvP area you're consenting to PvP. Should games have safe areas is another issue. Non-consensual PvP should be avoided simply because it's bad for revenue. History has shown again and again many people will not play a game where they feel they're being forced to play the victim. gaming companies will always care less about your e-peen than their bottom line.

I repeat myself...

It's just the way how you impement it, and how much safety you provide to those, who don't want to engage in PvP at all.

The system in EvE Online is proof enough, that open world FFA PvP with full loot is interesting enough players, to make for a healthy MMO-population.

If you don't want to go in unsecure areas, it's fine, but you'll miss out 50% of the content of the game and don't get to the high rewards. It's risk vs. reward.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Cristina1

Originally posted by thinktank001

It's all in the implementation of the core mechanics, and how they support the style of game that was advertised.

Darkfall has a terrible set of core mechanics that do not work in concert with each other.  The end result: a supposed sandbox MMO that isn't a sandbox MMO - it's a ganking/griefing/clan warfare simulator set in a persistent world.  Quake with a grind.

Hopefully, Mortal Online actually succeeds in putting in the core elements of a sandbox game from the start, with systems that support real sandbox play.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

........ wah wah wah, baby wants his bottle.......

Fixed

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

My response to such an idiotic post:

I will post vague crap in order to flex my epeen.

I will try to abuse anything I can in game to get ahead.

I will hack if I can and then try to justify it.

I will pk newbs then think I'm 1337.

I will bitch when a more skilled player kills me when I'm red.

I will cry when a more skilled player destroys me and takes all my gear.

Seriously, people need to just stop. This crap is getting annoying to the extreme. If you think you're hot shit then let the number of people you kill say that. If you need to post usless bs on forums to try to intimidate people then you probably suck.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

The funny thing is how PKers have latched onto MO as 'their' game, much like DF before it, and EVE, AC/Darktide, and Ultima before that..  Sure the game has open pvp and looting, but it also has crafting that matters, exploration, housing, pve, and a host of other things that will attract all types of players.  All this blustering nonsense about how people will cry and quit when they're  PK'd is exactly that: nonsense. 

PKers overestimate their own importance, and the impact their activities have on more well-adjusted gamers.  They may inconvenience someone for a couple of minutes, or however long it takes them to respawn, but the reality is that they're just as ineffectual and meaningless in this virtual world as they are in the real one, and won't affect my enjoyment of MO one whit.  It was the same in all the games I mentioned previously.  I'm a crafter and a roleplayer, and I played each of those 'hardcore' titles for years, with much enjoyment.

Oh and on the few occasions that I do manage to kill someone, heaven help their poor little ego if they find out they just got ganked by a carebearing roleplayer.  Oh the humanity.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I've always found it odd that people think you should be punished for killing other players in a Player vs Player game. It's like having a $50 fine for walking on the sidewalk. If you're in an open PvP area you're consenting to PvP. Should games have safe areas is another issue. Non-consensual PvP should be avoided simply because it's bad for revenue. History has shown again and again many people will not play a game where they feel they're being forced to play the victim. gaming companies will always care less about your e-peen than their bottom line.

Because there is no such thing as "Moral values" in a game, so they have to be enforced through game mechanics, its pretty simple, most of us wouldnt just kill someone they found on the road while travelling, because this is a game and there are no moral values people will do that, which will in consequence ruin the whole medieval world simulation, MO isnt just about killing other people its a part of the game but there are many other aspects that will be hindered without mechanics that will create some sort of "virtual morality".

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

You created Trammel.
    You ruined Mordred.

Just like every other self absorbed "hardcore pvp 4life!!" player (and the term is used loosely)

You talked big talk waiting for DF release

You insulted everyone who might of played the game

You made sure to create a horrible community so the game could never grow

You essentially killed DF before it ever launched

Why make sure you do that to another game?

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

You created Trammel.
    You ruined Mordred.

Just like every other self absorbed "hardcore pvp 4life!!" player (and the term is used loosely)

You talked big talk waiting for DF release

You insulted everyone who might of played the game

You made sure to create a horrible community so the game could never grow

You essentially killed DF before it ever launched

Why make sure you do that to another game?

umm DF and like it are created exactly for that crowd, they are the target audience, not you.

• NeosaiNeosai Member Posts: 401

Only problems with PvP (or rather more like PK in this case) is that people does it half hearted. 

Example:  Maybe I'll PK some random guy over and over again today for fun.

PK is really more of a system that is in place so you can settle your grudge and for a more cut-throat simulation for a game world, when someone just out to kill whoever to prove "self-worth" it almost make the PK system a meaningless thing. 

(Not gonna go into how games don't set the gameworld up for a proper PK system, I can almost write a research paper on it)

PK = Player Killing/Killer/Kill (whichever applies for situation) which is where the so called "griefing" comes from

PvP = Player versus Player which includes PK but applies more to any situation where players compete against each other (Usually direct confrontation through fighting).

There are loopholes in law in real life however you rarely get away clean for violation of law, in game however, there are so many loopholes it's basically anarchy.  (No, I am not talking about the game, I am talking about the word itself)

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

the only good ffa pvp has Lineage 2 were you take a risk when you pk random ppl. You can loose your items every city guards atks you and so on. Aoc is justa big fail i could kill everthing around me and nothing happend.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Life has an open PvP ruleset but there are still penalties for killing. It would be kind of odd if the game world condoned murderers.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

Life has an open PvP ruleset but there are still penalties for killing. It would be kind of odd if the game world condoned murderers.

I think this is exactly the case.  Mortal Online is not a "PvP game"; it's an RPG which is trying to create a world in which player characters interact.  It will have PvP in it, but it is supposed to have a number of other things in the game to do as well.  As seen in Darkfall, anarchy fueled by no real consequences makes PvP/ganking/griefing the overwhelmingly dominant playstyle, which aids greatly in killing it as a sandbox game (though the lack of other systems kills it here as well).

It's not Counterstrike.  Like it or not, there has to be some sort of rules that simulate the social contract of society.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by andmiller

You created Trammel.
    You ruined Mordred.

Wow...another DF and it's players are the hardest post.  Nice.  Another carebears beware post.

I wish DF players wouldn't even mention Shadowbane.  So that us Shadowbane vets don't have to be lumped in with you guys.......

I guess I don't understand.  Since players like you are so obviously hardcore and dominant, wouldn't you want the legions of carebear wusses to play with you so you can slaughter them?  Why try to "scare" them away with your tough talk?

I dunno I lived through UO and loved it... I was actually sad when Trammel came and I wasn't what one would call a pvp guy at the time.

I mean I logged into UO thinking "hey its Ultima... online... I can play Ultima with other people"... I lived in a very rural part of Vermont and you couldn't play D&D as there was no one around.  When the gold box games came out for the C64 I could at least play D&D...

So I thought of UO as the ability to do this with other people.

Needless to say I got pwnd pretty fast in UO but I adapted and got revenge.

The issue I see with the OP is this...

Trammel didn't happen because someone posted a bunch of whines on a forum.  Trammel happened because in 1998 when EQ launched with NO forced pvp... UO lost most of its population.

Murder system... stat loss etc were attempts by developers to stop the blood loss.  They finally created Trammel and after they launched AoS (launch was so bad I finally quit)... They actually hit their peak population.

When Pirates of the Burning Sea launched... the same guys who were chasing down miners (who had no fighting skills in uo) and their pack mules... started in the same stupid crap there.  When the masses hit the cancel button... that game started to see changes too.

The issue isn't someone being "hard core"... the issue is people who destroy the very games they claim to enjoy... then go cry on forums because "nobody is making a pvp game /whine whine whine sob sob..."

Its kinda ironic.. and fairly funny.. until you watch them destroy a game you wanted to take part in.

"You will be griefed and told to quit daily.. until you do quit and the developers try to change the game because the minority of asshats can't pay the bills..."

that's what the title of this thread should be.  I actually feel bad for the people who want to take part in a pvp world.. they are the ones that really suffer from this.

• anomaly_aanomaly_a Member Posts: 17

I personally don't think you can split "PKing" and "PvP" into separate catagories. The thing is that random pking is one of the aspects of PvP, and griefing is just PKing taken to an extreme. I like the option to randomly kill someone if I want, it is one of the perks of open PvP. People will complain "Oh no, you're killing someone just for the enjoyment of it..." but isn't that sort of the fundamental idea behind a PvP based game, letting people log onto a vitual world and duke it out? The problem really comes from high levels killing low levels, and people griefing other people because they enjoy pissing them off. But if MO can find a way to minimize this without taking away from the zone free, life like feel of the game, it wont be a big issue. The fact is, its fun being a random PK, and random PK's belong (that is if they dont kill lowbies and grief just to be a jerk). If a random pk picks a fair fight whats wrong with that? Hes got every right and i dont think it should be condoned unless it becomes excessive.

Originally posted by anomaly_a

I personally don't think you can split "PKing" and "PvP" into separate catagories. The thing is that random pking is one of the aspects of PvP, and griefing is just PKing taken to an extreme. I like the option to randomly kill someone if I want, it is one of the perks of open PvP. People will complain "Oh no, you're killing someone just for the enjoyment of it..." but isn't that sort of the fundamental idea behind a PvP based game, letting people log onto a vitual world and duke it out? The problem really comes from high levels killing low levels, and people griefing other people because they enjoy pissing them off. But if MO can find a way to minimize this without taking away from the zone free, life like feel of the game, it wont be a big issue. The fact is, its fun being a random PK, and random PK's belong (that is if they dont kill lowbies and grief just to be a jerk). If a random pk picks a fair fight whats wrong with that? Hes got every right and i dont think it should be condoned unless it becomes excessive.

From what I understand, you will be able to do the above in the game.

You won't be able to do it without limits however, which is how MO is going to minimize the negative impact of griefers.

Quick question: Generally speaking, do you find killing a player in an MMO to be more satisfying than killing a player in an FPS?