Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Balance - Star Wars Lore - At Odds

Every thing about  the Star Wars universe tells us that Sith and Jedi are the most powerful.

Am I the only one that feels there's something wrong when a dinky Galactic Empire Soldier kills a Sith Lord?

It's imperative that the classes be equal in an mmo, but we also know that in the Star Wars universe they are not.

Comments

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

You must have watched different movies than me. With the exception of Empire Strikes Back, at least one force user bites it in every film—sometimes even by the score.

Regardless, it's a game bro. Unless you're buckin' for perma-death and one hit kills, don't expect it to be 100% accurate.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

Han is correct it is a game and also if they had sith and jedi just a small amount more powerful than you have a repeat of SWG were the end result was a combat upgrade than a new game exprience. Simply put jedi and sith despite how powerful can be killed by commons or non force sensetive. Non Jedi/Sith can survive in places that jedi/sith can't due to the force being overwhelming; that aside I feel that each of the classes are going to be balanced and each offers its own unique story. and lets not forget revenge of the sith jedi died to simple clone troopers yes in mass numbers but they still died and lots of those were masters. So that being said sith or jedi should stay balanced it makes the game equally fun and prevents the already swelling jedi/sith ranks from getting any bigger. Oh and i forgot don't forget about mandalorians they gave the jedi a run for their money on the battlefield same as the echani.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Hrayr2148
    Every thing about  the Star Wars universe tells us that Sith and Jedi are the most powerful.
    Am I the only one that feels there's something wrong when a dinky Galactic Empire Soldier kills a Sith Lord?
    It's imperative that the classes be equal in an mmo, but we also know that in the Star Wars universe they are not.

Yeah I agree with you. And that's why SWTOR will fail. I mean they perhaps will get 300-400k subscribers and become another WAR. But Blizzard will laugh at them...

But perhaps BioWare is going to appeal to MMO fans not SW' ones...

• Mattyb710Mattyb710 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Yeah I agree with you. And that's why SWTOR will fail. I mean they perhaps will get 300-400k subscribers and become another WAR. But Blizzard will laugh at them...

400k subscribers is a fail? are you retarded?

Originally posted by Mattyb710

I'd say it's you... Like one CCP guy said 300k was a big success for EVE but for WAR it was a failure...

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I'm no huge star wars nerd, but I'm sure I remember dozens of jedi get spanked in the prequel films.

Not all jedi are Luke, not all sith lords are Vader.

I'm planning on playing a republic trooper; (gotta love those huge blasters) and am very much looking forward to ventilating a few sith in the face.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772
    Originally posted by Mattyb710

it depends on the type of potential the company had

I.E. if blizzard handled wow and ended up with only 400k thats a big fail (obviously they've proven their potential is AT LEAST 12 million

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• valderonvalderon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

I'm no huge star wars nerd, but I'm sure I remember dozens of jedi get spanked in the prequel films.
    I'm planning on playing a republic trooper; (gotta love those huge blasters) and am very much looking forward to ventilating a few sith in the face.

He's right in the films ur watching stand out characters jedi masters, or council members mace windu and yoda for example. As for thre sith the films are set in an era when the rule of 2 applies 1 master and 1 apprentice so obv they were the top of the sith tree

SW:TOR on the other hand is set in an era where rank and file jedi and sith are numerous and while skilled are not at the lvl of the likes of vader or yoda

Originally posted by valderon
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr I'm no huge star wars nerd, but I'm sure I remember dozens of jedi get spanked in the prequel films.

He's right in the films ur watching stand out characters jedi masters, or council members mace windu and yoda for example. As for thre sith the films are set in an era when the rule of 2 applies 1 master and 1 apprentice so obv they were the top of the sith tree
    SW:TOR on the other hand is set in an era where rank and file jedi and sith are numerous and while skilled are not at the lvl of the likes of vader or yoda

As far as I remember games are all about heroes. Or you wanna say all siths/jedis in SWTOR will be average Joes and all others - super-duper pros?

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80

As far as I remember games are all about heroes. Or you wanna say all siths/jedis in SWTOR will be average Joes and all others - super-duper pros?

characters are only as good as the player behind the mouse and keyboard, cant expect people with slow reactions/less ability to be able to stand up against the ones who practice a lot to become as good as they can be.

Classes might be possible to balance(barely), but players can never be balanced without automating large portions of the characters functions

Originally posted by fenring101

characters are only as good as the player behind the mouse and keyboard, cant expect people with slow reactions/less ability to be able to stand up against the ones who practice a lot to become as good as they can be.
    Classes might be possible to balance(barely), but players can never be balanced without automating large portions of the characters functions

In CS or Quake that's for sure. In MMORPGs - hardly...

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80

so you think that a person who uses the keyboard to turn, and clicks to attack, has an equal chance against someone who uses the mouse to turn, and keybinds to attack and activate moves?

In every mmo i've played there has always been a difference between people who do and people who dont.

so you think that a person who uses the keyboard to turn, and clicks to attack, has an equal chance against someone who uses the mouse to turn, and keybinds to attack and activate moves?
    In every mmo i've played there has always been a difference between people who do and people who dont.

In WoW fresh 80 lvl would kill a character with a full gladiator gear only if the latter is AFK... And I'd say the difference between full gladiator and fresh 80 in WoW much less than between jedis and non-jedis...

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Have you ever played an mmo by chance?  It's quite clear you haven't got a clue sir.

Oh, you can be a heroic sith/jedi if you like, I'll just be a heroic trooper.

One can be a hero without being overpowered; the best hero stories are when the protaganist overcomes a more powerful enemy; there's not much heroism in simply kerbstomping everything in your path. Star Wars had lots of "average joe" heroes; Han, Leia, Chewbacca, R2D2.

But not C3P0, he was just a whiny bitch.

Have you ever played an mmo by chance?  It's quite clear you haven't got a clue sir.

I bet it's on the contrary...

Nah, they're pretty much right.

A keyboard-turning clicker who doesn't know his/her class very well or what combinations of skills are effective in any given situation will get demolished every time by a mouse-turner with keybinds who knows his/her class.

sigh alright I will endeavour to explain.

While yes in quake and counter-strike the difference in player skill level is infinitley more apparent, player skill at any given class in an mmo is paramount. 

It's the difference between two rangers burning a raid mob the better player will pull a 9k+ burn, while the average joe pulls a 6k burn.  Why is this?  Assume both players have identical gear.

The best players practice, experiment, and research.  Anybody can string a few abilities together to produce damage output but only a master player time every move and ability to produce a maximum output or efficiency. 

Use that if you will as the difference between your everyday Jedi and your heroic soldier. 

Oh, you can be a heroic sith/jedi if you like, I'll just be a heroic trooper.
    One can be a hero without being overpowered; the best hero stories are when the protaganist overcomes a more powerful enemy; there's not much heroism in simply kerbstomping everything in your path. Star Wars had lots of "average joe" heroes; Han, Leia, Chewbacca, R2D2.
    But not C3P0, he was just a whiny bitch.

Han Solo was never fighting siths/jedis. Or he would be finished pretty soon...

Originally posted by SonikFlash

sigh alright I will endeavour to explain.
    While yes in quake and counter-strike the difference in player skill level is infinitley more apparent, player skill at any given class in an mmo is paramount. 
    It's the difference between two rangers burning a raid mob the better player will pull a 9k+ burn, while the average joe pulls a 6k burn.  Why is this?  Assume both players have identical gear.
    The best players practice, experiment, and research.  Anybody can string a few abilities together to produce damage output but only a master player time every move and ability to produce a maximum output or efficiency. 
    Use that if you will as the difference between your everyday Jedi and your everyday soldier. 

Sigh i'm trying to prove it's hot and you - it's black... All you said is right for a properly balanced MMORPG. But SW lore isn't a properly balanced MMORPG that's the matter. If you try to balance it like MMORPG it will get stopped being SW lore...

• valderonvalderon Member UncommonPosts: 7

problem here is most people are basing thier views primarily on the films, there is a whole expanded universe of star wars info in books and other games that shows that being a jedi or sith doesn't by default make u the uber i win class

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

omg not all Jedi and Sith are mewling crybabies???

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.

whose star wars lore?  Last I checked this was called "The Old Republic"  As Bioware is the leading source on "The old Republic" cannon I'd say they get to make the call.  Assuming it is based in this canon which would be the correct assumption we would take precedents from the first two games.  I believe animals could kick your Jedi's ass if you weren't careful.  I also believe troopers could kicks your ass so could wookies so on and so forth.  The universe is balanced.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by SonikFlash
    whose star wars lore?  Last I checked this was called "The Old Republic"  As Bioware is the leading source on "The old Republic" cannon I'd say they get to make the call.  Assuming it is based in this canon which would be the correct assumption we would take precedents from the first two games.  I believe animals could kick your Jedi's ass if you weren't careful.  I also believe troopers could kicks your ass so could wookies so on and so forth.  The universe is balanced.

Bioware is not responsible for The Old Republic era. It was first created by the Tales of the Jedi series. A series in which a fallen jedi named Exar Kun annihilates an entire solar system with his force powers.

Oh ya... definitely think a heroic smuggler type could take him down.

Originally posted by blackthornn
    omg not all Jedi and Sith are mewling crybabies???

Nope! .. but ask me again 2 weeks after release and my response may be somewhat different.