Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Poll: Single Player Online...or true MMORPG?

This poll is intended really to test the mood of the potential playerbase so far and see how it is responding to Bioware's pre-launch marketing and communication programme, especially regarding the basic nature of the game.

I have limited the poll to just two answers - an "either..." "or..." situation - because I believe that ultimately the launched game can only be one thing or the other, and that there is no true third option.

This thread is not designed to provoke flames and I hope that any posts within it will respect different opinions and interpretations of the information so far released.

Comments

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141
    Originally posted by Moirae

Ok, I've officially lost my patience with you doomsayers. Knock it off and bloody well wait until the devs tell us what it will be instead of trying to scare people

This is a discussion forum. This is a legitimate thread. If you can't deal with that, buzz off.

Originally posted by tillamook

Seriously, what is this tirade you are on against BioWare? Did Bioware steal your wife? Kick your dog? Take your truck? Or is their some other hidden tinfoil hat agenda I’m unaware of going on here? I don’t know how much more confirmation you need other than them saying, it’s an MMO. If that doesn’t convince you, by god nothing will.
    It’s an MMO, nuff said. 

Calm down. It's just a poll.

• Dynamo112Dynamo112 Member Posts: 240

So far what we know about the game is that it's essentially a single player online RPG with a monthly subscription. Can't really say at this point if this will be the final product. My vote should be obvious.

• NecroHeliumNecroHelium Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Dynamo112

So far what we know about the game is that it's essentially a single player online RPG with a monthly subscription. Can't really say at this point if this will be the final product. My vote should be obvious.

So far what we know is there will be crafting, pvp, raiding, grouping and solo play...

So yes, your vote should be obvious.

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by hubertgrove

This poll is intended really to test the mood of the potential playerbase so far and see how it is responding to Bioware's pre-launch marketing and communication programme, especially regarding the basic nature of the game.
    I have limited the poll to just two answers - an "either..." "or..." situation - because I believe that ultimately the launched game can only be one thing or the other, and that there is no true third option.
    This thread is not designed to provoke flames and I hope that any posts within it will respect different opinions and interpretations of the information so far released.

This poll is intended to throw more gas on a fire that should be allowed to burn out.

As of 01:32 GMT, 61.1% of poll respondents say you're wrong.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Ok here's what I don't understand, this is a discussion forum about Star Wars: TOR.  All that we can do is discuss the game based on information we have so far. Calls to leave it alone til it launches are plainly ridiculous.  Also for all the people unhappy with discussing the game before it launches, why are you replying?

Personally from what I've read about the game so far it looks to me like a single-play rpg with some mmo elements shoe-horned into the game in order to justify a subscription fee.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Ok here's what I don't understand, this is a discussion forum about Star Wars: TOR.  All that we can do is discuss the game based on information we have so far. Calls to leave it alone til it launches are plainly ridiculous.  Also for all the people unhappy with discussing the game before it launches, why are you replying?
    Personally from what I've read about the game so far it looks to me like a single-play rpg with some mmo elements shoe-horned into the game in order to justify a subscription fee.

What if it is? What if it's not? It really doesn't make a difference to me. What matters is, is it fun. That's the bottom line for me. Speculate all you want, I won't  complain. I just ask why does it matter to you either way, if it's a well made and fun product that feels worth the cost? At this point we don't know if that will be the case.

There's not much to discuss other than that which we have been told "it will be an MMO".  I don't know how much more clarity needs to be made on the subject. Whether it's a MMORPG or just an MMOG (guild wars) has yet to be revealed. We all hope for an MMORPG, they seem to be describing one IMO. They have stated they won't be instanced gw style or even AOC/eq2 style. Sounds to me as the bulk of the game will take part in areas all players inhabit. That's what I've taken away from what I've been given so far.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165

Something is only worth whatever you will pay for it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Bioware has already stated at E3 that it's more of KoTOR then typical MMO..   I suspect it's 75% single rpg and 25% mmo.. LOL

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I strongly suspect it is a game where you group up with people because they are friends or you want to group up with them.  You are not FORCED to group.  Though perhaps some end-game challenges will require groups to overcome.  From what I got from what the devs said, I think challenges will scale up if more people show up to take them on (though that's just an inference on my part).

In any case, if so and if they avoid the idiotic Healer-Tank-DPS setup, then we'll be in a great shape.  Grouping will naturally happen if you want it to happen, either from playing with friends and running into people doing stuff with you.  Ideally then challenges won't become trivial because you have grouped up, so that grouping won't cost you anything, nor will the game force you to group if you can't find any friends or decent people online to play with (or if you just don't want to risk playing with a stranger who ends up being a total jerk).  Overall I don't see how this would make a game a "solo" game, because the group element is still there.  It's a massively multi-player game still, just playing with jerks will not be forced upon you.  Seems rather ideal to me, honestly.

Anyhow, I find the premise of the OP's question to have dubious worth at best.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

I don't care what label you people want to put on this game.  As long as they follow through on their promise for a very casual / solo friendly game with no special treatment for niche play styles like raiding, then I'll be very happy to subscribe and experience everything it has to offer.

Gawd knows I can't stand the rut this industry has dug itself into and someone has to get us out of it.  I just hope it's Bioware's game.  I like their style of games and I think it will translate brilliantly into an MMO.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by Moirae

Ok, I've officially lost my patience with you doomsayers. Knock it off and bloody well wait until the devs tell us what it will be instead of trying to scare people.

I won't be listening to the devs either. Experience has taught me better.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• wazzap2121wazzap2121 Member Posts: 154

The term of an mmo is when massive amounts of people interact with eachother.  This by all means answer the question if it is a true mmo since massive amounts of people will buy this game and they will interact with eachother.  Thats the answer to the question at hand.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Originally posted by dhayes68

Yes its obvious from your number of anti-swtor posts that you have already decided the game is not for you. So one might ask what is your reason to continue to haunt the SWTOR forums?

Its real simple. Cause I enjoy discussing it. But the question I asked isn't the same. I'm not asking why people discuss it, I'm asking why people call for it not to be discussed, which makes no sense on a discussion forum, and oddly enough only propagates the discussion they're trying to stop.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

As nothing productive has come of this thread, I am going to go ahead and lock it. But as a reminder, being negative is not against the rules and is not an invite for others to target other users. I'm not going to babysit personal rivalries, if you are not interested in the musings of particular posters please use the BLOCK button so you no longer have to see them and/or simply Report them if they are in violation of the Rules of Conduct. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.