Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I play again?

surfsk8snowsurfsk8snow Member Posts: 76

I quit the game Nov 08 due to the immense time sink of the game (I just got married), and due to some frustrations with market loading glitches that cost me upwards of 1billion ISK.

I've been reading about Apocrypha lately, and wondering if I might enjoy jumping into the game again. When I left, I had just gotten a Machariel, and was actively participitating in factional warfare (was quite fun, altho a lot of downtime too).

So, the $1 million question: Should I start again?

Cinori Aluben - CSM6 2011
Fix The Little Things First!
www.littlethingsfirst.com
EVE-Online

Comments

• TinjelTinjel Member Posts: 24

I've been looking into starting to play for the first time because I have a few friends that play.  I'm curious to see the responses you get from people to see if I'd even start myself.

• surfsk8snowsurfsk8snow Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Tinjel

I've been looking into starting to play for the first time because I have a few friends that play.  I'm curious to see the responses you get from people to see if I'd even start myself.

I'd say that's a good gauge of whether or not to play. I'm still anxious as to any responses myself lol.

EVE-Online

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Well you didnt give much information here about what you want to do? Do you want to know if the game has improved since you last played? 

If you are a pvper well then its a no-brainer unless you're into no-risk pvp......

If you are a pve'er well I cannot comment on that side of the game much. The trading and manufacturing is as incredible as it always was. Prices are getting crazy inflated lately tho if you ask me. I can recall t2 ships costing a lot less a year ago

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by surfsk8snow

Ofcourse you should.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

I quit the game Nov 08 due to the immense time sink of the game (I just got married), and due to some frustrations with market loading glitches that cost me upwards of 1billion ISK.
    I've been reading about Apocrypha lately, and wondering if I might enjoy jumping into the game again. When I left, I had just gotten a Machariel, and was actively participitating in factional warfare (was quite fun, altho a lot of downtime too).

Alright, in order to answer your question, I have to ask a question in return; Did your wife say you could play?

All kidding aside, why not reactivate for a month and check it out for yourself. I am generally against throwing money down the drain (even just $15), but it sounds like you enjoyed the game before so it's certainly not a big gamble as to whether you will have any fun.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• NicksdNicksd Member Posts: 403

Originally posted by vkayne

<Mod edit>

Heh that maybe a little harsh, but.. the only person who can really answer your question is you.
  • XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

if you enjoyed it before, then sure. if you didnt enjoy it, then no.

reactivating for a month is a good idea, go lose some ships and get some kills and decide then.

• surfsk8snowsurfsk8snow Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by mklinic 
    Alright, in order to answer your question, I have to ask a question in return; Did your wife say you could play?
    All kidding aside, why not reactivate for a month and check it out for yourself. I am generally against throwing money down the drain (even just $15), but it sounds like you enjoyed the game before so it's certainly not a big gamble as to whether you will have any fun.

You my friend are a wise person, and are obviously married =). Keepin the wife happy is #1 priority. I did ask, and, she's ok with it. Balance is the name of the game, that's all.

So I took your suggestion, and signed up for a month. I called a couple RL friends who had quit before too, and they were all debating on joining again too, so that worked out perfectly. I actually don't think I woulda started again without the RL friends too. We'll see how this month goes.

Originally posted by vkayne

LOL, if you need someone to talk you into rejoining the game, why even consider it. This is just another lame reach for attention you are obviously not getting from your new wife. Why would anyone care if you play at all?

Wow, do I know you? Did I ever attack or offend you in some way? I hope I haven't, but if so I apologize. My wife and I are extremely happy, and this is just a craving for video games and challenge; I get my other cravings satisfied quite well. I just don't understand what causes a person to lash out at someone they know nothing about...

To everyone else, thanks for the responses and advice. Maybe I'll see you in game!

EVE-Online

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

You my friend are a wise person, and are obviously married =). Keepin the wife happy is #1 priority. I did ask, and, she's ok with it. Balance is the name of the game, that's all.
    So I took your suggestion, and signed up for a month. I called a couple RL friends who had quit before too, and they were all debating on joining again too, so that worked out perfectly. I actually don't think I woulda started again without the RL friends too. We'll see how this month goes.

Good to hear about playing again and yes, married here as well and keeping the family happy definitely comes first. That said, nice to have a hobby and that's where Eve (or gaming in general) comes in for me.

Not sure what your play style is/was, but if you need any help with anything or are up for an Empire based corp (assuming you are not still in one of course), feel free to look me up in game: Artificial Soldier

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

I went through exactly the same thing.

I looked for an "eve replacement" for 10 months.  There isn't one.  If you are used to the depth, complexity, and intensity of eve, odds are you'll blow through the content of any other single player/ console/ MMO game in a couple weeks.

Eve kinda ruins you for other games because you get used to the feel of  "hard won" accomplishments.  I tried stuff like LotRO and WoW and just found myself logging in less and less til I just decided to let my subs lapse.  Mass effect, Fallout 3, CoD 4, Halo 3, Bioshock.. all tremendously enjoyable.. but ephemeral compared to eve.

So hell yeah, come back.. I've accepted the fact that it's eve or nothing at least for now.  I sincerely hope SOMEONE besides CCP will have the guts to make another game someday that, like eve, isn't afraid to kick you in the teeth and doesn't apologize for it.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)