Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamestop story that might make you laugh.

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So I called my local gamestop the other day to see if they had the 2008 collection pack and the guy on the phone tells me "we do have it but you know that they are shutting down FF XI soon right?"  I say, "Well I know they announced FF XIV but I don't think they said anything about stopping production for FF XI or shutting it down."  The employee then emphatically says "They are.  Since they announced FF XIV they want to focus on that and will no longer be doing anything with FF XI and it will be shut down later this year."  I didn't even bother trying to argue with him since his mind was clearly made up about the issue.  Good thing you can count on Game stop employees for accurate informatin though!  ;)

Comments

• FlyMastaFlowFlyMastaFlow Member Posts: 21

LMAO

And in one of the interviews, the vice president (I believe) commented on that issue and stated that FF XI was still going to be worked on. If they're gonna shut down FF XI, it's gonna have to be a while after XIV has come out, and since XIV is apparently going to be a very different game (no exp points, progression based on weapons, etc.) it's not like the two games are gonna be in the same category and competing with each other.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Lol i dont think they will shutting down FFXI and beside they have announce the Next Version Update Scheduled for Late July! Why would they do that? if they want to shut down it?

• HaikenHaiken Member Posts: 81

Would be funny if they shut it down in November/December this year.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

There is not going to be any shutting down of the game, it was just a moronic employee.  On one of the interviews done they even say they will continue working on FF XI.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Gamestop is notorious for hiring some of the dumbest employees when it comes to game knowledge!  Most the time when I used to shop there; and just to hear what stupid info I'd get next I'd ask them as I passed the counter and headed to the PC section what the next good MMO or RPG is.  Well aware of what was already out there and what I wanted.  I swear I got recommendations for FPS', and an RTS which one employee told me was an RPG.

Or when I stricktly said I want Fantasy only, they'd recommend something Sci-Fi....its amazes me how stupid these people are and even more so the people that shop there and believe them....heh

• farorefarore Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Gamestop is notorious for hiring some of the dumbest employees when it comes to game knowledge!  Most the time when I used to shop there; and just to hear what stupid info I'd get next I'd ask them as I passed the counter and headed to the PC section what the next good MMO or RPG is.  Well aware of what was already out there and what I wanted.  I swear I got recommendations for FPS', and an RTS which one employee told me was an RPG.
    Or when I stricktly said I want Fantasy only, they'd recommend something Sci-Fi....its amazes me how stupid these people are and even more so the people that shop there and believe them....heh

Its people like this who make me glad i dont work retail. They just wanted to help you and you gotta get on the high horse and bash a the poor guy who isnt makeing much money and is just trying to help,

• frostydf2frostydf2 Member Posts: 157

I'm not trying to dog on the party of bashing Gamestop, but I think i need to stand up for my company!

I personally work at a Gamestop as a Manager, and I understand your frustrations when you get told mis-information.  However, that is not the goal of every Gamestop employee.  I personally always try to give my customers the most up to date information that I have looked up via engadget, PS3 Fanboy, Digg, and mmorpg.com.  However, it's hard to know everything about every game out there.  Sometimes the last thing you want to even talk about is video games becuase you are consistantly surrounded by it.

By the way.  Gamestop = Retail.  And I will hire someone who knows how to sell over someone who knows a lot about video games.  That's how it is in all retail, and if you try to argue go to a car lot.  The salesmen will usually always read the price sticker, what sets him apart is if he can sell it.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

I think that is more or less the problem most people have with Gamestop and EB, etc. The majority of people hired there are hired because they know retail, not because they know video games. This can create endless frustrations for those of us who do know what we're talking about.

Lets be honest, Gamestop etc really only care about one thing; getting your money. I mean they are a retail outlet, that's what they do. If they can hire some counter-jockey who can't tell pac-man from ms. pac-man, but he can tell people what they want to hear so he can convince them to shell out an extra 20 bucks, OF COURSE he's going to be behind the counter. Ever wonder why they are so enthusiastic about trade-ins? Cause they can take your 50 dollar game (which you probably bought from them), give you 5 dollars for it, and sell it again to someone else for 40 dollars more. That's why they freak the hell out whenever anyone talks about digital stores etc. It bypasses them completely.

Sadly, there really is no way around this. The only solution on our side is to do all your research beforehand, and just ignore the employees altogether. Know what you want, when you want it, and what you should be getting with it. Of course, they couldn't care less, they're just as happy to see you get your shit and get out.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• farorefarore Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Blurr

I think that is more or less the problem most people have with Gamestop and EB, etc. The majority of people hired there are hired because they know retail, not because they know video games. This can create endless frustrations for those of us who do know what we're talking about.
    Lets be honest, Gamestop etc really only care about one thing; getting your money. I mean they are a retail outlet, that's what they do. If they can hire some counter-jockey who can't tell pac-man from ms. pac-man, but he can tell people what they want to hear so he can convince them to shell out an extra 20 bucks, OF COURSE he's going to be behind the counter. Ever wonder why they are so enthusiastic about trade-ins? Cause they can take your 50 dollar game (which you probably bought from them), give you 5 dollars for it, and sell it again to someone else for 40 dollars more. That's why they freak the hell out whenever anyone talks about digital stores etc. It bypasses them completely.
    Sadly, there really is no way around this. The only solution on our side is to do all your research beforehand, and just ignore the employees altogether. Know what you want, when you want it, and what you should be getting with it. Of course, they couldn't care less, they're just as happy to see you get your shit and get out.

Name 1 50 dollar game that gets you 5 bucks and that they sell for 40. I know for a fact that you cant

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

The Gamestop near me is terrible like that, too.  They don't care about you or games, they only care about retail and that jingle in the pocket.  Every friggin' time I go in there and approach the counter, regardless of whether or not I am making a purchase, I get bombarded by the employees trying to sell me on something I don't want.  It might be a PS3, a Wii, some craptastic new game, or my personal favorite, the game reserves.  Seriously, one guy tried to get me to reserve Starcraft II.  Not only am I not interested  in purchasing that particular game (flame on), Blizz didn't give a release date yet.  However, the almighty Gamestop almanac of reserve dates had it listed in September of this year.   

Even worse, another Gamestop nearby has completely phased out it's PC section...  Long story short, now I go to Best Buy.

But alas, this seems to be the curse of all retail.  I know because I worked / work in it.  (current job not so much retail, I work in shipping, which is more paperwork than anything)  I worked at the ill fated City of Circuits until the bitter end as a computer salesman / tech.  The thing that saddens me is that I was the only honest one there.  While other employees would spin tales of grandeur about the benefits of the sub-par prebuilts we sold, I would be as frank as possible with my customers.  I was never top salesman, but I guarantee you that I had the happiest and most well informed customers.  But I guess people will tell anyone anything they want to hear for that extra money...  The honest and knowledgeable salesman is dead, replaced by the money grubbing douche. 

Originally posted by frostydf2

By the way.  Gamestop = Retail.  And I will hire someone who knows how to sell over someone who knows a lot about video games.  That's how it is in all retail, and if you try to argue go to a car lot.  The salesmen will usually always read the price sticker, what sets him apart is if he can sell it.

Eh, don't give a rats ass how well the sales person can twist words or talk it up, but if they don't know shit about the product or can't tell me somehting I don't already know thats an epic failure!  If they get fantasy mixed up with sci-fi...or an RPG mixed up with an FPS...thats just wrong.

One must know your product to make a sale with me, and thus far not a single game sales person has ever been able to convince me they know more than I.  I don't claim to know everything but I do my research and I know what is what, and quite frankly it amazes me the gamestop employees can tell different system boxes apart....{besides the very obvious titles in their corners...rofl}

Originally posted by farore

Name 1 50 dollar game that gets you 5 bucks and that they sell for 40. I know for a fact that you cant

By all means, lets start arguing math. Go to your local gamestop, find a recent game and see if they have a used copy. Now see how much you could get for a trade-in of that same game. Notice the difference? Not such a mystery now is it?

There's another reason i prefer to go to places like Best Buy to get my games. There atleast you know the salesperson probably doesn't know what you're talking about. Where they differ is they aren't as worried about cutting their profit line so close, because they make lots of money on all the other things in the store. Gamestop will often only order as many copies as they think they can get guaranteed sales of. Sometimes they only order however many preorders they get. They don't want to risk spending any money on a game they might have to discount over time or anything like that. That's why they love preorders, because a) they use it as a measure of how well their store is doing b) they get some of your money in the bank right away and c) you're more likely to actually buy the game anyway even if it's crap. The beauty of places like Best Buy is that they just send like 50 copies of everything to every store.

I love it when the place that sells microwaves and blenders has a better selection (at equal or sometimes better prices) than the "games only" store.

Most new releases Gamestop will buy back anywhere from $10-$25 including PSP, DS, PS3, Wii, and 360 games.  After that we will up the price to $35-$55.  This seems completely fair to me giving the fact that Gamestop makes hardly any money off of new game sales.

To the posters who say that Gamestop should hire knowledgeable employees about video games.  We do our best, at least I do, but I need to put the store first.  A good seller, and a hard worker will come well before someone who knows the ins and outs of Warhammer Online.  If you want to argue with this then you obviously have never: Owned your own business, worked in retail, managed anywhere, or ran a successful company.

Most new releases Gamestop will buy back anywhere from $10-$25 including PSP, DS, PS3, Wii, and 360 games.  After that we will up the price to $35-$55.  This seems completely fair to me giving the fact that Gamestop makes hardly any money off of new game sales.

If you want to argue with this then you obviously have never: Owned your own business, worked in retail, managed anywhere, or ran a successful company.

You think thats fair!?  What about the developers...they only get a few dollars per title sold as well, probably less than that.  Then Gamestop takes a brand new game they sold for $60 {and there are people that trade new games in the next day after they finish them} give the customer $10-$25 credit, then turns around and resells that title for double or triple what they bought it back for.   The developers don't see a cent of that...and you think thats fair!  Its a rip-off. 

Don't you read all the complaints from developers in the past few years directly talking about how Gamestop is ruining them, and we wonder why some developers have seemed to have given up on creating quality games.  Thats why you see alot more games going digital only and Gamestop phasing out PC cause they don't make a cent off of it, other then the initial sale.

To add more salt to this fire, Gamestop is also selling the Wii Motion Plus for $24.99 when the MSRP is $19.99...hiked it up and additional $5 for absolutrly no reason besides being greedy, money-hungry bastards!

As far as never owned your business, worked in retail, managed anywhere....I have.  I used to be a Store Manager of my own EB Games for a few years, up until about 2 years before Gamestop bought them out, and they had the same practice.  I got fed up with being apart of it and resigned.

So you're saying it's ok for developers to charge $60 a title?  I don't think so. 

While we're at it, we might as well ban all pawn shops, used car sells, eBay,  game lending, torrents, Craigs List, Thrifty Nickels, etc...

You're using a falacy for your argument.

Exactly! When Gamestop sells me a game for $60, they get some of the money and the developer gets some of the money. When they buy it back and then resell it, they get ALL the money and the developer gets NO money.

That's money they are taking away from the developer by selling the same game twice. If the 2nd person bought a new game, the developer would get some money. Instead, Gamespot undercuts them and then keeps all the money.

Do you think Gamestop would continue to sell used games if they had to give the same amount of money to a developer as a new game? Hell no!

Lets see, screw the customers by having poor service/employees, check. Screw the developer by convincing customers to buy 2nd hand copies and giving nothing to the devs, check. Looks like the only person who ends up good out of the deal is the store.

Now you see why everyone wants to go to digital distribution?

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

I think i live in a retail vaccuum.  I hear horror stories about GameStop and BestBuy and Wal-mart all the time but NEVER have these problems.  GameStop here has knowledgeable people who I guess can sell too as they keep the same people.  But like previously stated they cant know EVERY single game.  They work 40 hours a week most times and they'd have to put in another 100 hours a week playing video games just to keep up.  That's ridiculous to think they can do that.  However, when i do buy a game i get good reccomendations (rarely take them at that exact moment) but i always go and research more into it and have found some cool games that way.  GameStop is a business to make money.  They may pay only 20bucks for a 60 dollar game and sell it for 55 but when you buy that used game you get a month to return the thing if you don't like it.  Only downside is you might wait months before getting your hands on a used game so you dont get to play all the hot titles as they come out but still, you get to freakin' evaluate the game.  Name another place that lets you do that.

Never worked for GameStop but I happen to like them.  Maybe it's beacuse my other choice is Wal-Mart who doesn't carry a wide selection of stuff and with GameStop i can order games to be held.  I've just always gotten great customer service there and a few times they spent hours trying to help me with stuff where they could have just told me "Sorry Pal, have a nice day".

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• Coldrain_13Coldrain_13 Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

I think i live in a retail vaccuum.  I hear horror stories about GameStop and BestBuy and Wal-mart all the time but NEVER have these problems.  GameStop here has knowledgeable people who I guess can sell too as they keep the same people.  But like previously stated they cant know EVERY single game.  They work 40 hours a week most times and they'd have to put in another 100 hours a week playing video games just to keep up.  That's ridiculous to think they can do that.  However, when i do buy a game i get good reccomendations (rarely take them at that exact moment) but i always go and research more into it and have found some cool games that way.  GameStop is a business to make money.  They may pay only 20bucks for a 60 dollar game and sell it for 55 but when you buy that used game you get a month to return the thing if you don't like it.  Only downside is you might wait months before getting your hands on a used game so you dont get to play all the hot titles as they come out but still, you get to freakin' evaluate the game.  Name another place that lets you do that.
    Never worked for GameStop but I happen to like them.  Maybe it's beacuse my other choice is Wal-Mart who doesn't carry a wide selection of stuff and with GameStop i can order games to be held.  I've just always gotten great customer service there and a few times they spent hours trying to help me with stuff where they could have just told me "Sorry Pal, have a nice day".

I worked for Gamestop, and Bestbuy. I can attest to both arguements; I worked with a very knowledgeable bunch back in my GS days. However, over at Bestbuy I had one of those Apple dudes argue with me in front of a customer about her pc. I ended up losing my job there, but it was worth to prove that cunt wrong. The arguement was over some damn dvd drive. Silly Macs, may have less viruses but got are they a pain to fukken work on.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

30 days to return it if you didn't open it. Yep, thats how the gamestops work where I live. If I open up the game, cant return it. It's dumb as hell if you ask me.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Eh, like other's have said I'd rather deal with someone who knows about video games than someone who knows how to sell.

I dealt with one of those types at my local game stop, and you know what? HE tried ripping me off. I asked for a new copy of Gears of War 2, he pulls out an empty box, throws in a disc from one of the sleeves and hands it to me. I ask if he had any sealed copies of the game, he told me no (didn't bother to check). When I ask about the Flashback code he blatantly tells me they stopped doing that weeks after release. I go home, come back about an hour later. That person isn't at the counter. I then tell the person who is about it, he grabs a fresh, sealed copy of the game, opens it up, and what do you know, there's a code in there. So he gives me that, I thank him, and went home happy at least one person there isn't a D-bag.

So see the issue there? He knew how to sell, but got trumped by someone who knows about games. Not only did he lie about the code, or the fact they had no sealed copies, he also sold me an used copy of the game (it had scratches and thumbprints all over the back) for the price of a new one. 3 counts of deceit in less than a minute.

Now I know thats just one occurrence at one gamestop, but considering I hear similar stories all over doesn't help the image of the company much, and until then, never had an issue. I could go on as this same person has tried similar stunts with friends of mine. I have said something but once again, he knows how to sell so he's still there.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by sanders01

30 days to return it if you didn't open it. Yep, thats how the gamestops work where I live. If I open up the game, cant return it. It's dumb as hell if you ask me.

It's 30 days period on used games.  You can play it, not like it and take it back.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

I'm going to do my best to put some logic into the individuals who are writing on this board.  We are going off to imaginary world right now, so hang tight!

*POOF!*

You're in a Gamestop where they only sell brand new games.  All of these games are the same price that they are now, but remember that there are no used games.   You walk in, and there are 70 games per console.  That's not bad figuring that their are 500+ released games just on the PS3.  Why only 70 you ask?  Possibly becuase they stopped making the last Need for Speed game, or the previous Gears of War becuase of their sequals being released. 

That's ok you think, so you pick up your copy of the brand new Prototype.  You walk to the cashier, hand them your $59.99, and walk out the door...

*POOF*

You're back in logical land.  What is wrong with this picture?  Multiple things. 

1.  If Gamestop stopped selling used games your selection for video games would be about the size of a Wal-Mart electronics isle. 

2.  You handed your $59.99 to the cashier.  How much of that goes to Gamestop really?  I look at inventory reports every day, and I can attest that Gamestop makes no more than $8 per new game.  My Gamestop sells roughly 100 games a day.  So we're going to take that 100 and multiple it by the MAXIMUM of $8.  That's $800 that Gamestop made today.  Do you really think Gamestop would even exist if they only sold new?  $800 may sound like a lot to you, but when it costs $3,000/month for rent, $500/utilities, $5,000/month for salaries it doesn't sound like too much now does it?

3.  Some games just don't sell.  Go look in a Nintendo Wii section, and tell me how many games you would actually purchase in that section.  I would guess maybe 20%.  Gamestop has to sit on new games like car lots do cars.  If they don't sell we have to drop the price.  So that $59.99 game that we bought for $52.99 is now selling on our shelves for $44.99.  We already lost money. Gamestop wouldn't even exist for you to be complaining about if it weren't for used games.

Please... use some sense people.  I love it how people consistantly complain about things, but they don't find a solution for themselves.  If you hate that Gamestop gives you $25 for a new game you just bought 3 weeks ago, and beat, then don't shop there.  if you think it's unfair for a car to depreciate after it's driven off the lot by 33% of it's price, then don't buy a car - ride a bicycle.

Gamestop truly does offer some amazing deals.  Buy 2 get 1 free.  %10 off extra with Edge Card (You also get 12 months of Game Informer which in my opinion is one bad ass magazine).  So that $54.99 brand new game is now $49.49.  You just saved $10, and it cost Gamestop $25 to buy it back.    Even at those rates Gamestop made $25, factor in the amount of games Gamestop has to sit on as stated before, and pay employees to monitor these games, etc.  It comes out to be a really fair deal.

Someone give me a retort.

Your logic is still severely flawed, all you keep talking about is gamestop this or gamestop that.  It all comes down to if the developers are making money so they can continue to support their titles and make new ones!  If not for them Gamestop wouldn't have new games or even used titles to place on their shelves and gouge their customers with ridiculous prices!

You say Gamestop makes $8 on each new title they sell, and using your estimates thay made $800 for the day!  Lets say that the developers also made $8 off that sale and also pocketed $800.  Lets then say that Gamestop bought back all 100 of those titles within a few weeks while the original price is still at $59.99.  They paid $25.00 credit for each one which set them back $2500, then set them back on their shelf for $54.99.  Which is over a 100% increased profit when/if they sell.

Lets once again say that all 100 of those titles did sell at $54.99 for a profit of $5499 minus their purchase value of $2500 and they walked away with $2999 pure profit and guess what!? 

All those developers that make games for Gamestop to sell; that keep you in business never see a penny of that $2999!  Yet you keep replying in argument about how great Gamestop is and all their deals; while you're screwing over the developers that keep you in business, but like you said its business; why should you care about the guys that keep you in business right!?

If I'm not mistaken Gamestop made what 2 or was it 3 billion in profit last year alone just on used games, and the developers never saw any of that!  Yeah thats fair....!!!!

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830
    Originally posted by farore

Originally posted by Blurr

Not to argue against you on this point but there is a reason why these stores do this.

On a new game they sell they owe a portion of the revenue to the publisher/maker/distributer of the game, on a resale of a game everything they make is pure profit, so to maximise this they buy them back at lower prices. its a Profit thing pure and simple, 

I rent my games from blockbuster or try demo them before I purchase and spend my cash on a game, I have not sold a game in years, My Bro recently priced up handing in his legacy systems (SNES, Megadrive etc) and was offered a price of a few quid for the consoles and 50p per game, I steered him to Retro gamer and lets jsut say It sold for a LOT more than the shops were offering.

Its business, pure and simple, I wouldnt expect anything less

Originally posted by Khrymson

Your logic is still severely flawed, all you keep talking about is gamestop this or gamestop that.  It all comes down to if the developers are making money so they can continue to support their titles and make new ones!  If not for them Gamestop wouldn't have new games or even used titles to place on their shelves and gouge their customers with ridiculous prices!

You say Gamestop makes $8 on each new title they sell, and using your estimates thay made $800 for the day!  Lets say that the developers also made $8 off that sale and also pocketed $800.  Lets then say that Gamestop bought back all 100 of those titles within a few weeks while the original price is still at $59.99.  They paid $25.00 credit for each one which set them back $2500, then set them back on their shelf for $54.99.  Which is over a 100% increased profit when/if they sell.
    Lets once again say that all 100 of those titles did sell at $54.99 for a profit of $5499 minus their purchase value of $2500 and they walked away with $2999 pure profit and guess what!? 

All those developers that make games for Gamestop to sell; that keep you in business never see a penny of that $2999!  Yet you keep replying in argument about how great Gamestop is and all their deals; while you're screwing over the developers that keep you in business, but like you said its business; why should you care about the guys that keep you in business right!?

If I'm not mistaken Gamestop made what 2 or was it 3 billion in profit last year alone just on used games, and the developers never saw any of that!  Yeah thats fair....!!!!

I'm going to reply to you which I already have, and I hope that you'll try to bring out a retort against my argument as well.

Your overall argument is that you have a problem with how GameStop buys back Used games, and then re-sells them for a much higher price without the developer seeing one penny of that.  I understand that you're standing up for the developer for not getting anything, but then you better expand your horizon because I don't think the manufacturer get a dime out of pawn shops, or that TV that just sold on Craigs list will be reported on tax's.   Used car sales - ever thought of those??  And I believe I justified before where the $25 margin from a $25 buy back to a $50 sale goes to.  Wages, rent, utilities, business expenses, warranties, etc.

You're argument goes against every used sale in the world.  No more eBay, Amazon (marketplace), craigslist, pawn shops, garage sales, selling to a friend, etc.

I will say this though - Developers love GameStop.  You may find one or two hateful ones out there, but the Developers consistently send us free games, gift cards (for example EA Sports just sent me a $100 gift card), take us on trips (this year it's to Las Vegas), and always remind us to get their pre-orders rolling in.

By the way, it was 7billion in revenue last year.  Is it a crime to make money?  Most people think so.