Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Aion region-locked?

Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

I've been asking this a lot recently if the servers are region locked in North America and the answers are always mixed. I've had more responses saying they won't be region locked, though.

Any information on this would be great. Whether I even bother playing this game or not is dependent on the answer.

Comments

• VABeachDaveVABeachDave Member Posts: 228

The Korean servers are region locked. No one from outside Korea can access the servers as they have the IP addresses blocked (Unless you do some kind of false IP trick). The rest of the servers are not locked. We don't know about the USA and EU servers yet as they don't exist and no one from NCSoft has mentioned anything.

One thing though about the server farms, in the Chinese accounts you pay time per region. There are currently 10 regions in China. if you put money into your account on one region its just for that region.

Fan sites:
    AION-On-Line.com
    aionicthoughts.wordpress.com/
    www.aionarmory.com/
    www.aionglobal.com/
    www.aionsource.com/
    www.areyouhellbound.com/forum/
    www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/253
    www.onrpg.com/

Official sites:
    www.ncsoft.com/global/
    www.aiononline.com/us/
    eu.aiononline.com/en/

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

The reason why I wondered is because I  will never play another PvP MMO on the same server with Korean or Chinese players again. I've had far too many bad experiences throughout various MMOs in the past. (The most ridiculous being with Chinese players) 

I'd also rather not have the economy be destroyed within a few months after release from Chinese farmers having easy access to NA servers.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914
    Originally posted by Jester47

I'd also rather not have the economy be destroyed within a few months after release from Chinese farmers having easy access to NA servers.

Regardless if the servers are region-locked or not, there will definitely be gold farmers/sellers on the NA/EU servers.

Sorry.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Dameonk

Originally posted by Jester47

Regardless if the servers are region-locked or not, there will definitely be gold farmers/sellers on the NA/EU servers.

Sorry.

But they certainly won't completely destroy the economy.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That's up to the company to enforce strict policy regarding botting. For example, a very prominent powerleveling company in the open beta was French (or at least the site they were pointing at was in France). So it's not solely an Asian problem.

Now, why would you need powerleveling in a game that you level so fast is beyond me to answer.

• mugengaiamugengaia Member Posts: 347
    Originally posted by VABeachDave

The Korean servers are region locked. No one from outside Korea can access the servers as they have the IP addresses blocked (Unless you do some kind of false IP trick). The rest of the servers are not locked. We don't know about the USA and EU servers yet as they don't exist and no one from NCSoft has mentioned anything.

One thing though about the server farms, in the Chinese accounts you pay time per region. There are currently 10 regions in China. if you put money into your account on one region its just for that region.

Korean servers aren't region locked.  I have been playing the last 6 months from New York.  I installed and played it on my friend's PC as well as my own, of course. 

Actually, I've played about every MMO that comes into OBT in korea, because for a long time I've been looking for one to stick too.  I don't even think any korean MMOs or other online games are region-locked, since I've tried alot of them, and still play alot of the casual ones from HanGame and Netmarble...

But, if you're going to be seeing a localized version there isn't any reason to be playing a version that is based overseas.  For one, games lag, and is the reason why I set the fastping to 1.  Two, why bother playing a game you don't understand, unless you're korean.  Still lags, either ways...

GRIND sucks? You wanna be max level in a month?
    Since when did society award easy-goers and lazy-fools?
    MAKES ME PHOBIC OF STUPIDITY!

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

It's not always Asian companies doing the botting. I hope it's not region locked. I got friends in Aussie that need to play with me.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

What I'm trying to tell you is that yes they are region locked.