Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE travel explained...

PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

I see new players all the time complaining about Travel times. Just yesterday I saw a newbie complaining on official forums and he was shocked no vet agreed with him.

So I'm going to make a new thread explaining how EVE Travel works as briefly as possible. The reason why  you new players complain about 10+ gates and we do not....

1. How do veterans get around? Do they travel 20+ jumps to Jita for stuff like me?

Hell no we do not. Jita is a death trap for the average veteran. Why? Because we are all wardecced- meaning we can be attacked anywhere. So most of us stay in nullsec and use 'jump bridges' to instanly teleport to our local trade hubs. My local trade hub is bout 3-4 Jump Bridges away from where I am normally stationed. It used to be only 1 jump bridge away but recently my Alliance shuffled somethings around....

A jump bridge is just like a stargate just that it requires a password and liquid ozone. So I carry around a small bit of ozone on all my ships

2. How do Alliances fight their wars and traverse huge distances? Do they make 20+ jumps to a war?

lol no. We have a thing called a 'Titan'. Think of a Titan as not only the ultimate war machine, but also as a huge roaming Stargate. Alliance players use titans to jump bridge to enemy space or frontlines. There are also other ways to get the drop on your enemy via blackops

Yes, there are other times you may see Alliances make a lot of jumps to enemy space. Thankfully, mine does things right and we slowly expand our borders and fight on fronts. So, no matter where I am located in our space it is only a few hops via jump bridge to the frontlines. Additionally, I have a jump clone placed at the frontlines as well

This is why you might even see an 'Ancient' old school vet that hails back to the begining of EVE that they believe its actually too easy to travel nowadays

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

of course not everyone is in giant spaceholding alliances with titan support for every op.

i just go to my local tradehub instead of marching all the way to jita. when we go on ops, we tend to form up and then the movement is actually part of the op, when we go roaming, we're 3 jumps from hostile space, so we dont have to go far.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

War decs are hardly an issue....that's why people have alts.

How it is generaly done is via regular logistic ops and logistic officers. Talk to person in charge, contract the containers and freighters move your things via bridges(lol @ jump freighters) to low sec.

PvPers need the haulage the other way - from high sec to 0.0 to replace their ships and modules, only carebears need to move things out of 0.0 :-P

As for big fights, you generaly fight at your borders so you use local bridges for sub caps.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

The simple answer is that there are trade hubs all over eve.  At the very least each region has 1, usually more than 1, local trade hub that's fairly centralized.  The larger regions have multiple trade hubs. 

Just a few trade hubs, for example:

Amarr

Jita

Rens

Nonni

Dodixie

Agil

Oursaleart (sp?)

Hek

There are many other trade hubs within EVE.  Learn where the ones closest to you are and use them instead of flying all the way to Jita.  Flying to jita may seem to save you money because you can find slightly lower prices there but, often, the time the trip would take means you could have made more than the cost difference just by continuing to do whatever you normally do and shopping local.

The more complex answer is a combination of the above and what follows:

Wardecs are almost *never* an issue for a vet.  Most vets have a 2nd or 3rd character on their main account that's trained up to fly a hauler of some sort that they use to purchase and transport goods when they need them.  Often these are done afk while they're off shopping, reading, watching TV, etc.  What I usually do is buy whatever I need with my trade alt then contract it to my logistics alt and transport it to wherever my main is that way.  Then once there I complete the courier mission to give it back to my trade alt who then does an item exchange contract back to my main.   This way everything I transport is plastic wrapped so that it can't be cargo scanned so suicide gankers have no idea if I'm transporting less than 100k isk worth of crap stuff around or if I'm transporting millions of isk worth of stuff.   

Personally I never afk transport goods, I'm too paranoid... I just do it when I don't need to be doing something else.  When I send the hauler back it's usually empty and I can let it go afk since there's nothing to protect.  Generally if I have more than 20mil or so in the cargo I'll fly it manually rather than risking it to autopilot. 

The bottom line is that there is no reason, really, to ever travel more than 4 or 5, maybe 10, jumps.  And if it's for something small?  Fly a frigate or interceptor to go get it.  That way you get there (and back) much faster and save yourself a lot of time.  Also, use warp-to-zero. 

For 0.0 read the above posts... some of them make sense though most alliances don't have titans laying around to jump portal you at your hearts whim.  Jump bridge networks are a huge benefit that sov holding 0.0 alliances use to great advantage.  Non sov holding alliances generally rely on a combination of freighters, carriers and jump frieghters to move goods and ships into and out of 0.0.  Generally you load a freighter up with goods, haul them to a point where a jump freighter or two take the cargo and jump it out to 0.0 and drop any ships at a carrier which then assembles and sticks them in it's ship maintenance array and jumps them to their local office in 0.0.

In any case, most 'vets' get around the 'lots of travel' issue by staying put and using alts *when they have spare time or while afk* to transport goods to and from their location.  Note:  You don't even have to have a spare account for this.  You can easily create a market alt in under a week or so.  And you can create a hauler alt in just a few days as well.  Well worth the time saved in the long run rather than training those skills on your main character and having to fly all over creation to do those tasks.  As far as 0.0 logistics most alliances have a dedicated logistics team that you can get in touch with for help moving stuff to/from 0.0.  If they don't then you should really talk to your CEO about getting one set up.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Taram
    The simple answer is that there are trade hubs all over eve.  At the very least each region has 1, usually more than 1, local trade hub that's fairly centralized.  The larger regions have multiple trade hubs. 
    Just a few trade hubs, for example:
    Amarr
    Jita
    Rens
    Nonni
    Dodixie
    Agil
    Oursaleart (sp?)
    Hek

There are many other trade hubs within EVE.  Learn where the ones closest to you are and use them instead of flying all the way to Jita.  Flying to jita may seem to save you money because you can find slightly lower prices there but, often, the time the trip would take means you could have made more than the cost difference just by continuing to do whatever you normally do and shopping local.

The more complex answer is a combination of the above and what follows:
    Wardecs are almost *never* an issue for a vet.  Most vets have a 2nd or 3rd character on their main account that's trained up to fly a hauler of some sort that they use to purchase and transport goods when they need them.  Often these are done afk while they're off shopping, reading, watching TV, etc.  What I usually do is buy whatever I need with my trade alt then contract it to my logistics alt and transport it to wherever my main is that way.  Then once there I complete the courier mission to give it back to my trade alt who then does an item exchange contract back to my main.   This way everything I transport is plastic wrapped so that it can't be cargo scanned so suicide gankers have no idea if I'm transporting less than 100k isk worth of crap stuff around or if I'm transporting millions of isk worth of stuff.   
    Personally I never afk transport goods, I'm too paranoid... I just do it when I don't need to be doing something else.  When I send the hauler back it's usually empty and I can let it go afk since there's nothing to protect.  Generally if I have more than 20mil or so in the cargo I'll fly it manually rather than risking it to autopilot. 

The bottom line is that there is no reason, really, to ever travel more than 4 or 5, maybe 10, jumps.  And if it's for something small?  Fly a frigate or interceptor to go get it.  That way you get there (and back) much faster and save yourself a lot of time.  Also, use warp-to-zero. 
    For 0.0 read the above posts... some of them make sense though most alliances don't have titans laying around to jump portal you at your hearts whim.  Jump bridge networks are a huge benefit that sov holding 0.0 alliances use to great advantage.  Non sov holding alliances generally rely on a combination of freighters, carriers and jump frieghters to move goods and ships into and out of 0.0.  Generally you load a freighter up with goods, haul them to a point where a jump freighter or two take the cargo and jump it out to 0.0 and drop any ships at a carrier which then assembles and sticks them in it's ship maintenance array and jumps them to their local office in 0.0.

In any case, most 'vets' get around the 'lots of travel' issue by staying put and using alts *when they have spare time or while afk* to transport goods to and from their location.  Note:  You don't even have to have a spare account for this.  You can easily create a market alt in under a week or so.  And you can create a hauler alt in just a few days as well.  Well worth the time saved in the long run rather than training those skills on your main character and having to fly all over creation to do those tasks.  As far as 0.0 logistics most alliances have a dedicated logistics team that you can get in touch with for help moving stuff to/from 0.0.  If they don't then you should really talk to your CEO about getting one set up.

Exhausting, well put. /signed

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

The other posts are correct. If I need supplies from Empire I just use jump bridges to get there and grab the stuff on my covops. I think if I used an alt it would get caught in lowsec possibly. So rather make the trip in person.

What the others say is good tips as well.

Weird you guys not been wardecced all the time? We've been wardecced non-stop for many months heh. Part of it is our fault though since we declare half of it ourselves :)

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

I dont think I've been to Jita in years, heh heh.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by PatchDay

1. How do veterans get around? Do they travel 20+ jumps to Jita for stuff like me?

One of the nice things about EVE is that there are so many ways to get what you want/need.

Here's an alternative to what you usually hear. And its so damn easy...

1. Learn to play the market. The market is not that complex. It's buying and selling 101 --  really. Give a third-grader a week and you've got a market mogul.

2. Get people to deliver stuff to you. Again, dead easy. People will do just about anything for a buck.

Not every path to success in EVE requires combat.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Very good thread, does a great job of explaining the travel options available to players in 0.0.

Loved the description about traveling with a Titan. I've never been in a corporation that owned one, though I have fought along side and died to them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

Normally I dont roam too much but tonight I joined a roaming gang and we flew all over the place. I guess we probably took a crapload of jump gates & bridges just roaming our space. But even though you might have to make alot of jumps you still get a rush when you finally managed to pin reds into a system and force them to fight :)

And not to mention the nice kills you get along the way... Just tricky avoiding their 'eyes'

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Jump clones for pvp

I run in AAA space since my alliance lives within their boundaries, but i my hi sec spots are tash murkon region. I made a jump clone at a friendly station in null and one in tash mukon (worked my faction to the needed 8.0 with Tash Murkon Family) and now can trasnverse the universe once every 24 hours instaneously.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

EvE travel explained...

You fly in spaceships.

/endthread

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

One caveat-

if you need supplies in any kind of volume for T2/ T2 building Jita is pretty much the only game in town.

You can occasionally find good deals on materials in other hubs, but you'll end up flying all over creation to get everything you need.  Just make sure you have a complete shopping list before you enter the "hellhole" and be extremely cautious about hisec gankers if you are carrying more than 150-200 mil.

NEVER fly with cargo that expensive in a T1 hauler.  Transports are your friend.

Edit- and by the way there are plenty of veterans who detest big alliance politics.  I'd quit eve tomorrow if I had to go back to a big alliance.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)