Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear Funcom 2

Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

After just disovering that you might be basing your lore for the Secret World ( I had hoped this would be some Kiddy game like spryo the dragon online that could fail horribly for you, but sadly I was mistaken)  on the works of H.P Lovecraft. I have only one thing to say:

PLEASE DONT DO IT....

why not try and fix the game you have before you go RUIN another great IP?

And if you do go and do this... I hope Ubbo-Sathla swallows you HOLE... There, in the grey beginning of Earth, the formless mass that was Ubbo-Sathla reposed amid the slime and the vapors. Headless, without organs or members, it sloughed from its oozy sides, in a slow, ceaseless wave, the amoebic forms that were the archetypes of earthly life. Horrible it was, if there had been aught to apprehend the horror; and loathsome, if there had been any to feel loathing. About it, prone or tilted in the mire, there lay the mighty tablets of star-quarried stone that were writ with the inconceivable wisdom of the pre-mundane gods.

—Clark Ashton Smith, "Ubbo-Sathla"

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That's a hilarious request.

For the record, I think they claimed that they are inspired by the Lovecraft universe, not that they are basing the game to it.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Never mind

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, it's their development money and they get to spend it as they see fit.

We should be more concerned with what we do with our own money.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

It will be interesting to see if FUncom can actually have a decent launch for once......Both AO and AoC have been among the worst launches in MMO history.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Maybe if you guys (OP) actually tried to read the background behind this game, then you won't keep creating these FAIL topics.

Ragnar Tørnquist has been working on this game since the late 90's.

In the meantime he launched single player games like Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

All with inspirations from H.P. Lovecraft.

And as FAIL magnet Gaute Gaudager is no longer with Funcom and Ragnar at the helm of The Secret World....

... I have already a lot more faith in this game then I ever had with AO or AoC.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Zlayer77

After just disovering that you might be basing your lore for the Secret World ( I had hoped this would be some Kiddy game like spryo the dragon online that could fail horribly for you, but sadly I was mistaken)  on the works of H.P Lovecraft. I have only one thing to say:

PLEASE DONT DO IT....

And if you do go and do this... I hope Ubbo-Sathla swallows you HOLE... There, in the grey beginning of Earth, the formless mass that was Ubbo-Sathla reposed amid the slime and the vapors. Headless, without organs or members, it sloughed from its oozy sides, in a slow, ceaseless wave, the amoebic forms that were the archetypes of earthly life. Horrible it was, if there had been aught to apprehend the horror; and loathsome, if there had been any to feel loathing. About it, prone or tilted in the mire, there lay the mighty tablets of star-quarried stone that were writ with the inconceivable wisdom of the pre-mundane gods.

/facepalm

Is this fallacy still floating around here? I'd have thought it would have been cleared up by now.

No... TSW is not going to be a "Lovecraft MMO".

TSW draws from a number of mythologies, urban legends, conspiracy theories, etc. etc. It's not focused around any single one. The Cthulu mythos just happens to be one of the inspirations for it.

This has been explained by Ragnar himself in an interview done weeks ago, and elsewhere.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Funcom's track record says there will be problems and alot of em. The one thing that they seem to have worked out well is the reoccuring credit card charges.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Funcom's track record says there will be problems and alot of em. The one thing that they seem to have worked out well is the reoccuring credit card charges.

Illuminati was here

• adrianemeryadrianemery Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by WSIMike

PLEASE DONT DO IT....

/facepalm

Is this fallacy still floating around here? I'd have thought it would have been cleared up by now.

No... TSW is not going to be a "Lovecraft MMO".

TSW draws from a number of mythologies, urban legends, conspiracy theories, etc. etc. It's not focused around any single one. The Cthulu mythos just happens to be one of the inspirations for it.

This has been explained by Ragnar himself in an interview done weeks ago, and elsewhere.

This sounds like "we haven't even gone out and got the IP for this one so if we say it is only influenced us we don't get sued."

• DemeelDemeel Member Posts: 47

PLEASE DONT DO IT....

Yes don't make another game is isn't finished and doesn't work..  Can't trust funcom the company.  When Age of Conan came out they false advertisted and lied.   Nothing worked in the game that the box said it had , no cities worked no direct x 10 nothing, they scammed ppl out of there money and now useing that money to scam you again... don't fall for it

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Theocritus

It will be interesting to see if FUncom can actually have a decent launch for once......Both AO and AoC have been among the worst launches in MMO history.

AO had the worst launch in MMO history, however AoC certainly didn't have that problem, it launched well and was very playable from the start.

However they did have alot of whiners complaining about the early access, those that where too late to take advantage of the limited offer or those that just didn't bother to read up on the offer just whined and whined and whined they couldn't get in, other than that I remember WoW having more issues than AoC when it launched.

Originally posted by qbangy32

AO had the worst launch in MMO history, however AoC certainly didn't have that problem, it launched well and was very playable from the start.

However they did have alot of whiners complaining about the early access, those that where too late to take advantage of the limited offer or those that just didn't bother to read up on the offer just whined and whined and whined they couldn't get in, other than that I remember WoW having more issues than AoC when it launched.

I bought AoC and the luanch was one of the worst , the bank didn't work for the first 2 weeks atleast.  And the only thing that was completed in the game was the first town which is the first 20 level's none of the towns worked the pvp didn't work , and all the stuff they were so proud of  , which  seperates them from other mmorpgs didn't work at all and wasn't fixed ..... So yah the game wasn't even 50 percent made when they luanched it sooo.... not sure how that is a good luanch... lol

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Dear OP,

Dungeons and Dragons was based on Lords of the Rings and Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.  Yet the IP is different.  Not that hard to grasp.

Regards,

Concerned Reader.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Okay first and formost the team that designed AoC has been pretty much disbanded, and the team that is working on TSW is NOT the same team,  in fact the team that is making TSW is made of some of the team that made TLJ and Dreamfall.  This game has been technically in the works since 2002 when Rangar started writing for the game and has been in production since 2006 that makes this game 7 years in the making and its not even in the beta, I think Ragnar and Funcom both know AoC's release was premature and in several interviews Ragnar promises not to release the game before it done, I would be fine with some delays in release as long as the finish product is how they promise,  Have faith.  If not then don't play the game.

QQ DAWGIE EET MOAR CAEK

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

Originally posted by graggok

Okay first and formost the team that designed AoC has been pretty much disbanded, and the team that is working on TSW is NOT the same team,  in fact the team that is making TSW is made of some of the team that made TLJ and Dreamfall.  This game has been technically in the works since 2002 when Rangar started writing for the game and has been in production since 2006 that makes this game 7 years in the making and its not even in the beta, I think Ragnar and Funcom both know AoC's release was premature and in several interviews Ragnar promises not to release the game before it done, I would be fine with some delays in release as long as the finish product is how they promise,  Have faith.  If not then don't play the game.

QQ DAWGIE EET MOAR CAEK

I am not sure, i mean the only other post you have here in the this forum is a advertistment , it sounds like you work for funcom.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Demeel

Originally posted by graggok

QQ DAWGIE EET MOAR CAEK

I am not sure, i mean the only other post you have here in the this forum is a advertistment , it sounds like you work for funcom.

lol if I worked for funcom I wouldn't have told you not to play to the game and my grammar and punctuation would be much better.  But look a little harder I have several posts in several different sections,  but if you want to believe I work for funcom thats fine, but i assure you I don't.  If you actually follow my posts back I didn't learn about this game until I made a post entitled "Why is there no Call of Cthulhu MMORPG"

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• schloobschloob Member Posts: 160

As long as it is half as bad as AoC and gives me a solid month of flaming on the forums, I will be happy.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

what? aoc had one of best launches in history , servers were up 24/7, there were no lags, everything was working , maybe you should get your facts straight, if game wasnt big success doesnt mean everything about it failed..

i was even playing early start, ( every mmo now have oen with preorder ) was as smooth as butter, war launch wasnt anywhere near as good as aoc, and war launch was decent..

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Age of Conan problems are not because the premature launch, but because is a linear MMO.  And linearity games don't have replayability. Son once the people have experimented the game, move to something else.   Since there was a lack of content on latest levels, people started quitting before cap, but this is not a big difference to people quitting on cap.  Maybe even was better, since a abrupt end is more brutal than the "lets meet reality" of a soft end. 

Another thing that made or unmade a game are the patches.  The patches of AoC clearly pushed the wrong side of the game: more linearity.  Adding invisible walls and the like to the game.  

AoC is a game that I do recomend to some people, but not for long playtimes.

Originally posted by Smikis

what? aoc had one of best launches in history , servers were up 24/7, there were no lags, everything was working , maybe you should get your facts straight, if game wasnt big success doesnt mean everything about it failed..

i was even playing early start, ( every mmo now have oen with preorder ) was as smooth as butter, war launch wasnt anywhere near as good as aoc, and war launch was decent..

What are you talking about? The only that did work in AOC luanch was the netowrking,  The bank didn't work for weeks, the collectors edition that i bought , and got a cloak for a drinking pvp game that never worked.   Having good networking and a 40% made game isn't a great luanch..     Crazyness

Originally posted by Teiman

Age of Conan problems are not because the premature launch, but because is a linear MMO.  And linearity games don't have replayability. Son once the people have experimented the game, move to something else.   Since there was a lack of content on latest levels, people started quitting before cap, but this is not a big difference to people quitting on cap.  Maybe even was better, since a abrupt end is more brutal than the "lets meet reality" of a soft end. 
    Another thing that made or unmade a game are the patches.  The patches of AoC clearly pushed the wrong side of the game: more linearity.  Adding invisible walls and the like to the game.  
    AoC is a game that I do recomend to some people, but not for long playtimes.

So your telling me the 80's running around with no cities working and no pvp working is not a premature launch?   Also no DirectX 10 , which again is false advertisment isn't premature?? wierd wonder what premature to you is like 10 % finished game? lol

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Nor is it to be thought that man is either the oldest or the last of earth's masters, or that the common bulk of life and substance walks alone. The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen. Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread. By Their smell can men sometimes know Them near, but of Their semblance can no man know, saving only in the features of those They have begotten on mankind; and of those are there many sorts, differing in likeness from man's truest eidolon to that shape without sight or substance which is Them. They walk unseen and foul in lonely places where the Words have been spoken and the Rites howled through at their Seasons. The wind gibbers with Their voices, and the earth mutters with Their consciousness. They bend the forest and crush the city, yet may not forest or city behold the hand that smites. Kadath in the cold waste hath known Them, and what man knows Kadath? The ice desert of the South and the sunken isles of Ocean hold stones whereon Their seal is engraven, but who hath seen the deep frozen city or the sealed tower long garlanded with seaweed and barnacles? Great Cthulhu is Their cousin, yet can he spy Them only dimly. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! As a foulness shall ye know Them. Their hand is at your throats, yet ye see Them not; and Their habitation is even one with your guarded threshold. Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once; They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again

Funcom be afraid be very afraid, The OLD Ones will not let you defaul their names.....with another failed MMO.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Smikis

A release is more than just how well the game runs.  It doesn't matter if the client runs smooth as butter if the game is missing and lacking large chunks.  No dx10, itemization was meaningless, gems broken, pvp broken, cities broken, large swaths of content with not enough to do, empty/broken dungeons.  There was so much that didn't work or was missing it obviously had an effect on the games release status.

You can't say a game had one of the most successful launches in history when at the very same time it held the record for steepest decline in player population during that same period.  Conan was losing hundreds of thousands of players at a time.  When a game is forced to close and merge servers within the first year it cannot possibly be considered a great launch, let alone one of the most successful in history. 

AoC started dieing the first month it was released and the future of the game is really uncertain at this point.  Company heads were being fired inside of the first year.  Funcom is already talking about the possibility of changing it to a free to play model.  If that doesn't spell out failure I don't know what does.

I am really hoping for funcom to not repeat the mistakes in secret world, but their history so far gives me no reason to not expect more of the same.  Funcom is in the position that they need to prove themselves and deserve no benefit of the doubt.   I don't know what they say about fool me thrice, but I'm sure it isn't good.

• law573law573 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Maybe if you guys (OP) actually tried to read the background behind this game, then you won't keep creating these FAIL topics.

That would be like asking a blind man to see. The OP is an idiot.

You are playing a video game. By definition that means you are not hardcore.