Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After beta weekend, some questions...

AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Is there really no way to customize your character? No attributes to raise? No talent tree? No skill points to distribute?

I could tell early on that they intend the players to do some extra combat beyond what it required by the quests. The quests alone weren't enough to keep my level where I felt like it should be. This is probably what many people are calling a grind. Killing a few MOB's as you're taveling seems to take care of it well enough. Does this continue? I mean will I need to continue killing more and more extra MOB's just to keep my level where it should be for the quest chains? I could see this turning into a chore.

Are they changing the character voices? That is easily my #1 issue. Its almost unbearable.

What are the big investment items? With no mounts to buy I am curious about what people will be spending the most money on. I did notice the high cost of binding and traveling, but I hope that is not the only way to spend money.

EDIT: Lost a little at the end. Fixed.

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Part of your message was lost I think.

Regarding attributes customisation, I would say that due to my previous experience with L2 I wasn't expecting a lot. I suppose that it helps the developers controlling the range of attributes the players can alter, which is rather important for balancing in a PvP environment.

• injurerinjurer Member Posts: 27

I had no a chance to participate in the beta. Aganazer, can you tell me how much levels you character grow during the beta test period?

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Aganazer

Is there really no way to customize your character? No attributes to raise? No talent tree? No skill points to distribute?

I could tell early on that they intend the players to do some extra combat beyond what it required by the quests. The quests alone weren't enough to keep my level where I felt like it should be. This is probably what many people are calling a grind. Killing a few MOB's as you're taveling seems to take care of it well enough. Does this continue? I mean will I need to continue killing more and more extra MOB's just to keep my level where it should be for the quest chains? I could see this turning into a chore.

Are they changing the character voices? That is easily my #1 issue. Its almost unbearable.

What are the big investment items? With no mounts to buy I am curious about what people will be spending the most money on. I did notice the high cost of binding and traveling, but I hope that

you get upgrades for your wings as you lvl i think the lvl 30 ones was like around a mil, faster flight times and think it lasts longer too. then more upgrades to buy later.

as for customizing yoru character i guess you can say the stigma system is a way of doin that, you have only so many slots for them but there are more stigmas than slots, so you have to pcik and choose wich you'll be using and when. and as for the quest/lvl thing you mentioned the us 1.0 is behind the japanese retail wich has more quests and stuff in it. i REALLY hope we, at launch, will be caught up to japans version. just a few minor things i know we was missing was even more things at the character customization, more refined AH,some class balancing, and i THINK there was more quests and things added

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

As far as character voices i disagree, the korean they speak during spells is a keeper for me.

It adds a different flair to the game. But thats my opinion.

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by injurer

I had no a chance to participate in the beta. Aganazer, can you tell me how much levels you character grow during the beta test period?

I got to 16th on my Spiritmaster and 10 on a Templar. Finishing the Dukaki Mining area was a bit of a chore. The drop rate on some of the quests was a bit extreme IMO. But I could probably do it in half the time now that I know my way around.

I got to 16th on my Spiritmaster and 10 on a Templar. Finishing the Dukaki Mining area was a bit of a chore. The drop rate on some of the quests was a bit extreme IMO. But I could probably do it in half the time now that I know my way around.

and over crowding probably didn't help that much >.<

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

What are the big investment items? With no mounts to buy I am curious about what people will be spending the most money on. I did notice the high cost of binding and traveling, but I hope that is not the only way to spend money.

I don't think the game is a grind so I would say "the game is not a grind". Then again my highest character was 13 "just" about to be 14. I can't speak for the later levels.

Not sure what you mean by changing the character's voices? There are voice packs which you might have seen at the creator but those weren't enabled yet. It is an asian game so you will get some sort of Asian "sounds" as far as the words they say.

I think that potions will be a huge investment item. for health and mana. Also food.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • injurerinjurer Member Posts: 27

One more question. Is it true that if you create an Elyos character, you cannot create Asmodian? Does it means I should buy the game twice?

One more question. Is it true that if you create an Elyos character, you cannot create Asmodian? Does it means I should buy the game twice?

just like other pvp games you can only have 1 faction per server but you could make the other faction on a different server is all.

and actually some pvp games do not allow you to have 2 account to the same person with opposing faction on the same server, i think it was one of those boat games i read some one post about they locked one of their accounts or something because they did that.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

manastones are used to add extra stats to your toon each gear has manastone slots (weapon and armor) you add whatever you want for example +40HP +14 parry +6 Physical ciritical hit +3 attack +6 evasion etc etc

Originally posted by abyss610

just like other pvp games you can only have 1 faction per server but you could make the other faction on a different server is all

What abyss said. So it's sort of like Warhammer in that regard.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Is there really no way to customize your character?

After creating one, you mean?  You can dye you armor, and stigma system... plus the stones you can add to your gear.

No attributes to raise? No talent tree? No skill points to distribute?

Nope... but their is the stigma system that allows you skills you would not otherwise get.

I played to level 18 and I never noticed this and yet that is what they are talking about with grinding.

I hope that is what they are doing.... but I can deal with the voices.

Wing upgrades for one...

Originally posted by 0guz

manastones are used to add extra stats to your toon each gear has manastone slots (weapon and armor) you add whatever you want for example +40HP +14 parry +6 Physical ciritical hit +3 attack +6 evasion etc etc

yeah and i like that you can upgrade youre gear if you want, like you add lvls to it. like if you have a set of lvl 14 gear you really like the style of, by upgrading it you could mak it have stats equal to a lvl 50 piece. it can be pricey tho seeing how it fails sometimes and when it fails you lose the lvls you had already added to it >.<.

well i don't think it can exceed your lvl, if its a lvl 12 you add 2 lvls to it that makes it 14 and if you're 13 you can't wear it till you lvl up

• error_404error_404 Member UncommonPosts: 108

My experience is all from C-Aion, so it could differ to others.

Customisation comes from the mana stones you socket into gear, higher quality gear gets more slots up to 4 for gold gear and also stigma, you get your first stigma at level 20 after a quest and end up with 5, at this stage.

I have run through the starter zones to many times to count now grouped and solo, and never had to kill anything outside of what was needed for quests, it can run a little close to the mark at times if you don't get the quests that start from drops.

Yes they are changing the voices

Wings cost quite a bit, I have heard the price was changed in K-Aion but I'm not sure.  Crafting can be expensive as well, especially if you learn all of it.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Let me state....there's a BIG grind, you've only tasted the beginning.

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137

There is also a vendor on the outer circle...courtyard...whatever it's called at Sanctum that sells more emotes. They were a bit pricey. There was also a vendor for wing upgrades in Sanctum. One upgrade added 30 seconds flight time and the other added a full minute, I believe. They were also pretty pricey. Then you could dye armor and buy New Year outfits that were all just for show.

The manastones, imo, were a much better alternative to hunting down items that already had the stat boosters you wanted on them. You can also remove the stones and insert new ones whenever you want. I also liked the stones that added extra damage to your melee weapon. Especially since you could turn it on and off. It gave a nice boost if you had adds or pulled something a little tougher than you could handle.

I say leave the voices. I actually liked them. Although I could see having alternatives for those that didn't.

I didn't think it was a grind at all. There are so many side quests to pick up. I also have to say that I really, really liked the locate feature in the quest journal. It made going back to the original NPC or finding the area I needed to hunt at much less confusing.

I , personally had a very positive beta experience. I can't wait for it to launch here in the US.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Syno23

Let me state....there's a BIG grind, you've only tasted the beginning.

if YOU dont like questing dont say it is big grind i read your posts you said you dont do quests you only grind so?? why only saying aion huge grind

quests give a lot of exp

• XavierxxXavierxx Member Posts: 251

your skills level up, when u first buy a new one its level 1 skill and it levels up with u becoming more powerful

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Whoever said there is no way to level without grind didn't play the same game I did.  I got MORE xp doing all the quests than I did when I just went out killing stuff.  The game has a great storyline, and the questing tells a story, rather than just say "kill X togs for Y reward." 

I couldn't find that damn dye merchant, though. 

• bjgladitschbjgladitsch Member Posts: 88

All games have grind to them at higher levels. Its what helps them retain players. If you level too fast you arent gonna stick around much unless there is spectacular content or you ar einto pvp.  Guild Wars learned that with Factions so when Nightfall came out it was a little longer you getting max level.

And somtiems..the grind is worht it

• Harpy_LadyHarpy_Lady Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by haggus71

The dye merchant was in a clothing shop near the library in Sanctum. Just inside the shop, turn left and you would see her. But it was easy to miss.

Originally posted by Harpy_Lady

The dye merchant was in a clothing shop near the library in Sanctum. Just inside the shop, turn left and you would see her. But it was easy to miss.

Ahh, that's a help. I was looking for that merchant as well.

Whoever said there is no way to level without grind didn't play the same game I did.  I got MORE xp doing all the quests than I did when I just went out killing stuff.  The game has a great storyline, and the questing tells a story, rather than just say "kill X togs for Y reward." 

dye merchant is in the major city for each faction, i only dyed my spiritmasters armor because it looked a lil "Fruity" seeing how it was pink >.< looked bad ass blue tho.

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/1a973a79-7335-484a-93fb-4fb5dc9816dc a pic of him after i dyed it

http://www.mmorpg.com/photo/2b6c382a-3d1b-436e-8231-b42d318a22bd another pic but with Orb equiped, orbs are melee dmg books do spell dmg, orbs do more dmg but need to be in close to hit with it

• ThachsanhThachsanh Member Posts: 331

The ways to customize your character are there.

Graphically and flare, you have several ways to customize your character from dye and armors/weapons model clonning. They are great features and I think all game forward must have them.

However, the way to customize your character in term of playstyle/ability ... felt short.

You can

- Add manastone to your equipment socket

- Upgrade equipment to +1, +2, +3 ... and a defining stat of that equipment will be improve for example damage for weapon or damage absorb for armor

- Add stigma to your character

- Use title to add minor customization to your character.

Manastone is very similar to jewel crafting system in WoW but less flexibilities and less customizable since it does not associated with a crafting profession like jewel crafting.

Upgrade equipment is somewhat close to enchantment system in WoW but again, much less flexibilities and customizable. You cannot use this system to prolong upgrading your old equipment much, it does not provide significant enough boost to your old equipment to justify that.

Stigmas are just additional skills you can add to your character to improve their defined role abit. It's nowhere near the flexibilities and customization of the talent tree system in WoW. There are a full listing of all curent available stigma posted, you can look them up yourself. Think of stigma as a system similar to glyph in WoW.

I hate to have to compare to WoW but in this aspect, unfortunately, AION is way behind WoW.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by Thachsanh

The ways to customize your character are there.
    Graphically and flare, you have several ways to customize your character from dye and armors/weapons model clonning. They are great features and I think all game forward must have them.
    However, the way to customize your character in term of playstyle/ability ... felt short.
    You can
    - Add manastone to your equipment socket
    - Upgrade equipment to +1, +2, +3 ... and a defining stat of that equipment will be improve for example damage for weapon or damage absorb for armor
    - Add stigma to your character
    - Use title to add minor customization to your character.
    Manastone is very similar to jewel crafting system in WoW but less flexibilities and less customizable since it does not associated with a crafting profession like jewel crafting.
    Upgrade equipment is somewhat close to enchantment system in WoW but again, much less flexibilities and customizable. You cannot use this system to prolong upgrading your old equipment much, it does not provide significant enough boost to your old equipment to justify that.
    Stigmas are just additional skills you can add to your character to improve their defined role abit. It's nowhere near the flexibilities and customization of the talent tree system in WoW. There are a full listing of all curent available stigma posted, you can look them up yourself. Think of stigma as a system similar to glyph in WoW.
    I hate to have to compare to WoW but in this aspect, unfortunately, AION is way behind WoW.

Well, Aion is way more PvP based than WoW so I understand devs concerns. While in closed beta, they removed a huge stigma system where you would be able to use almost any skill from any class in order to create hybrids, they did it because balancing 8 classes for release was doable, but balancing 400 class choices for release was not that doable. They said they'll be implementing them step by step to keep class balance.