Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So im downloading the game atm

x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

So ive decided to try EVE, in my mission to find a game to hold me over until Aion comes out. I tried WoW, but its just to childish for me, underlined by the immature pre-teens that flood the community. So, What should i expect when i start playing? I heard the learning curve is steep, whcih doesnt really bother me. Kindof acts as a filter. But what i really wanna know, what is the game like? What is going to hook me in and make me wanna play? (Post what hoked you)

Comments

• JaxemJaxem Member Posts: 9

Well I can't answer with much experience since I started playing recently.  But the two things that hooked me, the graphics and the large amount of players willing to help you.  The playerbase seems very aware of the learning curve and wants to help you with it.

Just my 2 cents,

-J

• qwenidenqweniden Member Posts: 151

Originally posted by x0eclipse

But what i really wanna know, what is the game like?

Its more like a simulation than a game. Slow paced.

What is going to hook me in and make me wanna play? (Post what hoked you)

I like flying around in spaceships.

My advice:  Do the ENTIRE tutorial and then immedialty go to the recruiting channel and find a corp to join.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

In all honesty you will need patience and a strong sense of self motivation in EVE.  Some people take multiple "Tries" at the game before they wind up hooked.  Heck, I played through all 9 phases of Beta and it still took me 3 trial accounts before I finally got hooked and purchased the game (over a year afte its official release).   So it's entirely possible that you won't  "GET" EVE on your first try.   Or even your 2nd :)  But if you are serious about wanting to give it a try you will eventually wind up hooked just like the hundreds of thousands of other subscribers ;)

What got me hooked?  Very hard to say.... if I had to put it down to 1 thing though?  The fact that I control my destiny in EVE.  The fact that my choices can impact not just me... but everyone around me.... my choices, over time, have impacted corporations, alliances and even entire regions of space.... they're small impacts for the most part... major impacts in one or two... but impacts nonetheless.  

Tha'ts pretty much what keeps me coming back.  The knowledge that my destiny is completely in my own hands and that my choices in EVE matter, not just to me... but to my friends, enemies and strangers I've never even met :)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• popalxpopalx Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by Taram

In all honesty you will need patience and a strong sense of self motivation in EVE.  Some people take multiple "Tries" at the game before they wind up hooked.  Heck, I played through all 9 phases of Beta and it still took me 3 trial accounts before I finally got hooked and purchased the game (over a year afte its official release).   So it's entirely possible that you won't  "GET" EVE on your first try.   Or even your 2nd :)  But if you are serious about wanting to give it a try you will eventually wind up hooked just like the hundreds of thousands of other subscribers ;)

What got me hooked?  Very hard to say.... if I had to put it down to 1 thing though?  The fact that I control my destiny in EVE.  The fact that my choices can impact not just me... but everyone around me.... my choices, over time, have impacted corporations, alliances and even entire regions of space.... they're small impacts for the most part... major impacts in one or two... but impacts nonetheless.  

Tha'ts pretty much what keeps me coming back.  The knowledge that my destiny is completely in my own hands and that my choices in EVE matter, not just to me... but to my friends, enemies and strangers I've never even met :)

Nicely said.

Although I don't play this game, I've always admired it from what I read on forums, YouTube, etc.

I think that the sense of freedom, and the impact of your choises are two things that are realy great about this game.

I'm a member of Coloholics Anonymous.

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by Taram

This was a great post and sums it up nicely.

Im also a noob (and probably my 2nd or 3rd trial I've been on) and honestly the game just offers so much. I'm an old WoW vet (hell, you can say Im an old WAR, WoW, LOTRO, and a dozen others added to that list vet) but just couldn't get into EVE because it is slow paced and you need to have patience because the learning curve is fierce.

If you like to learn, and have an absolutely FANTASTIC community, then this is the game for you. The community is really what hooked me from the get-go... I logged in, confused as anything, not knowing a thing... and instantly I had so many people offering to help me and show me the ropes. I've never seen that in any MMO I've played and its extremely refreshing. Now when I log in (Im pretty casual so I usually log in for a mission or two and to do my skills) I always try to help the rookies out with things I've already learned in order to get more people involved. 

Make sure you do the tutorials... very important. Also, the skill system works even if you are not logged in - this is such a turn on for me (ya I said it) :p I can go to work, do my usual routine and Ill still have my skills trained for me. I LOVE this feature and its really what got me hooked for the long haul. Knowing I can have a life and still have a fun video game I enjoy is really important to me. Even on days like today when my computer blows up and I have to go get a new one /sad panda I know my industral V will be done by tomorrow - whether I play or not ;)

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

(Post what hoked you)

metagaming is the best part  but for that you really need a open mind hehe

BestSigEver :P

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Eve gives back only as much as you put in.

Im my first attempt playing Eve I uninstalled in disgust thinking the game was a big lie since I only ran missions and felt forced to farm standing.

a couple tries later when i took the bull by the horns and stopped trying to ride the mission rollercoaster is when I truely "got" eve.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276

Imagine being in low sec, constantly watching local for friendly faces, unfriendly faces that will actively hunt you and targets.

Imagine lossing a couple ships and watching your amount of money you have slowly drain as you begin to sacrifice the quality of the equipment your fitting your ships with to slow the hole in your pocket.

Now see how much the rollercoster of feelings moves when you warp into a group of ships mining yelling YARRR in local. Try to picture your wallet full of money for the next couple weeks because you ransomed a hulk and blew up some noob who had really expensive equipment built up from a long and safe grind in high sec that made him believe he was godly and he blew up npcs and spent weeks picking on npcs that don't really shoot back.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

I know I have said this before but here goes again anyways. Back in beat by the end of it I was totally pissed off with Eve, I hated the game and was not going to play it. But when it came out my friends bought it so I ended up getting it and swearing to not mine a goddamn roid at all which was what really drove me from the game before. When WoW came out I took a break from Eve for about 9 months then back to Eve, then back to to WoW and back to Eve again. Played WoW cause of friends but slowly grew to despise the damn game despite the fact it is a well made game.

Anyways, my point is this. Eve is a game that gets into you eve if you don't get it at first after playing the other games you realize why Eve is superior. But then again you (the OP) having already played all those other games may not leave like some of us older players have. Back when I first played Eve beta WoW's beta wasn't even out the only other MMO I played was Neocron so I had to play all the other shit to see what made Eve special. I guess another thing to consider is back in those days Eve was no where near as developed as it is now.