Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can you OC an E2200 Intel ? rams bus overclocking?

SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664

I bought 1066 MHZ ram for my E2200 CPU but its bus only works at 800MHZ.

Is this sucker got locked multiplier or somthing? I dont wanna over clock the core, 2.2GHZ is fast enough for me, I just want to over clock the memory bus.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ive got a very good ASUS mother board with a G33 chip set on it.

Comments

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

I believe all Intel processors except extreme editions have locked multipliers, so you can raise the fsb, but as a result you will raise the core clock speed as well.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sure you can. But you might need a new fan for it (at least clean the heatsink of any dust so it is working optimal).

To raise the FSB up to 1000hhz shouldn't be any problem, chanses are that you can do it in your bios.

I been overclocking both processors and GX cards a lot, never been any problem but I have always been careful about the temperature.

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396
    Originally posted by Loke666

Sure you can. But you might need a new fan for it (at least clean the heatsink of any dust so it is working optimal).
    To raise the FSB up to 1000hhz shouldn't be any problem, chanses are that you can do it in your bios.
    I been overclocking both processors and GX cards a lot, never been any problem but I have always been careful about the temperature.

He knows he can overclock the fsb, he just wants to know if he can do so without raising the core clock speed. Since he doesn't have an extreme edition with an unlocked multiplier, this is impossible. If he overclocks the fsb, he overclocks the core speed.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by SmurfMagic

I bought 1066 MHZ ram for my E2200 CPU but its bus only works at 800MHZ.
    Is this sucker got locked multiplier or somthing? I dont wanna over clock the core, 2.2GHZ is fast enough for me, I just want to over clock the memory bus.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Ive got a very good ASUS mother board with a G33 chip set on it.

Nadda, sell the CPU and pick up a E6300 if you want to stick with the Pentium @ 1066MHz.. That would be your overclock :(

Or just grab a Core 2 Duo (E7400) and be done with it.  At that price point, you are just splitting hairs.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Seriously, there is little point in overclocking your RAM if you will not overclock your CPU.

A big part of your troughput ( read/write ) increase in your RAM will be from a faster CPU.

If you honestly feel that 2,2ghz is fast enough ( are you serious? ) then the RAM you got is more then fast enough.

However, there are a few solutions if you want to make your RAM faster and not your CPU :

1. This is imho the easiest and best way : keep your RAM at 800mhz but improve your timings, timings are just as important as mhz. You should post your RAM brand and specs tho. But if for example your ram is rated 1066mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings, then you could try to run at 800mhz and 4-4-4-12 timings, you could try to go further, it is trial and error, you should do alot of research on overclocking and tweaking RAM timings.

2. You could lower your CPU multiplier and then OC your FSB and thus OC'ing your RAM, CPU multipliers are unlocked downwards for Core 2's.

3. Play with your dividers, there should be RAM dividers like 3:2 or 2:1, that allow you to run a different RAM speed vs FSB speed.

Again, OC'ing your CPU will give you ALOT more performance improvement, and also gives a big direct increase in RAM troughput, if you are serious about overclocking you start with your CPU and buy RAM in function of this. You have the RAM, you have the board, get a good CPU cooler ( if you dont have one already ) and go for it imho :p You will have to tweak nonetheless why not make this little puter into a nice machine :p

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Smurfmagic DDR2 1066Mhz ramd generally need a tweak from bios after installation .DDR2 1066 is an overkill for E2200 if you are not overclocking and  using it at ddr2 800 with better timings like 4-4-4 will be better i think .Of course you can still use them at 1066mhz if you still want but  youll need your motherboards user manuel and need to do some settings at bios for 1066mhz