Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking For Some PC RPGs, Not Turn-Based...!

mlauzonmlauzon Member UncommonPosts: 767

Does anyone know of any RPGs for the PC, must not be turn-based..?!

--
Michael

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Sacred

Sacred 2

Morrowind

Oblivion

Mass Effect

Neverwinter Nights

Baldurs Gate

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

The Witcher is pretty sweet.Its more like an action rpg but its fun.

But the game im really looking forward to is Dragon Age....... If I'm playing an MMO at that time I'll probobly be taking a break for a while.

• mlauzonmlauzon Member UncommonPosts: 767

Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    Sacred
    Sacred 2
    Morrowind
    Oblivion
    Mass Effect
    Neverwinter Nights
    Baldurs Gate

Sacred: played it
    Sacred 2: didn't much care for it, just tried the demo
    Elder Scrolls: never tried any of the games in the series
    Mass Effect: own it, to me not really an RPG
    Neverwinter Nights: played it
    Baldur's Gate: played it

--
    Michael

Originally posted by cukimunga

But the game im really looking forward to is Dragon Age....... If I'm playing an MMO at that time I'll probobly be taking a break for a while.

I plan on getting The Witcher, I read the book The Last Wish which is more or less what the game is based on...however I am trying to get the uncut version of the game.

I want to play Dragon Age, unfortunately we've still got a while before it comes out.

--
    Michael

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

You played Sacred, but Mass Effect is not really an RPG for you!?

I think of Sacred rather as an offline mmorpg. MMORPGs don't have too much in common with RPGs and neither has Sacred.

Anyway, have you tried Fallout 3? 

Since you don't consider Mass Effect an RPG, you sure won't consider Knights of the Old Republic one either.

Still, in my opinion one of the greatest games of all time. If you haven't played it, you sure should give it a try.

• FateusFateus Member Posts: 47

How about Planescape Torment.

I can't really think of any other non turn based RPgs that aren't very old or Indie type Isometric games.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I liked mass effect I just thought of it as a sci fi rpg.  Yes it did have FPS combat but it has RPG features so its kinda like a RPG/FPS hybrid and I was able to play it because of the RPG features.  I can't stand to play FPS because there is no character development.

There has been an argument what makes an RPG..... I say if your character can gain lvls and gains EXP its a RPG.

Originally posted by Mundus
    You played Sacred, but Mass Effect is not really an RPG for you!?
    I think of Sacred rather as an offline mmorpg. MMORPGs don't have too much in common with RPGs and neither has Sacred.
    Anyway, have you tried Fallout 3? 
    Since you don't consider Mass Effect an RPG, you sure won't consider Knights of the Old Republic one either.
    Still, in my opinion one of the greatest games of all time. If you haven't played it, you sure should give it a try.

As I said, no turn-based games, and KOTOR is turn-based -- and is still an RPG...I stopped playing turn-based games in the mid-'90s.

Mass Effect, even though it has elements of a RPG is still a shooter, and since I already own it...I don't need to play it as I already have.

I do plan on playing Fallout 3, as I played the previous two in the series back in the '90s.

--
    Michael

Originally posted by Fateus
    How about Planescape Torment.
    I can't really think of any other non turn based RPgs that aren't very old or Indie type Isometric games.

I don't want old, I want stuff within the last 5 or so years because there's a better chance they'll work in Vista.

--
    Michael

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by mlauzon

I plan on getting The Witcher, I read the book The Last Wish which is more or less what the game is based on...however I am trying to get the uncut version of the game.

I want to play Dragon Age, unfortunately we've still got a while before it comes out.

There's an uncut version? I got the Enhanced Edition (if you're gonna get it, get the Enhanced Edition). Good game. There were some uncensored files you could download from the forums, if that's what you meant.

• FateusFateus Member Posts: 47

Heres a new one I just ran across,

Drakensang

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Let us see now:

Fallout 3, Bethesda. Might not be the most fun of the fallout games ut it is pretty ok.

Dragon age: Origins, Bioware. Not out yet but will come soon. Most interesting single player RPG that is coming this year.

Oblivion. If you havn't tried it you should. Feels a bit empty but still rather nice.

Silverfall. Worth a try, something between Diablo and neverwinter nights. Dont pay full price for it however.

Guildwars, Arenanet.  The online version of Diablo by the same dude. You can solo it or play it with other people but you must be online to play.

Neverwinter nights 1 & 2, Bioware and Obsidian. The first game is a lot better but have crappier graphics and might not work on vista. The second one still gets expansions.

Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

There's an uncut version? I got the Enhanced Edition (if you're gonna get it, get the Enhanced Edition). Good game. There were some uncensored files you could download from the forums, if that's what you meant.

It's the Enhanced Edition, but an Imported version which is uncut.

--
    Michael

Originally posted by Fateus
    Heres a new one I just ran across,
    Drakensang

I've seen that somewhere before, can't remember where though.

--
    Michael

Originally posted by Loke666
    Let us see now:
    Fallout 3, Bethesda. Might not be the most fun of the fallout games ut it is pretty ok.
    Dragon age: Origins, Bioware. Not out yet but will come soon. Most interesting single player RPG that is coming this year.
    Oblivion. If you havn't tried it you should. Feels a bit empty but still rather nice.
    Silverfall. Worth a try, something between Diablo and neverwinter nights. Dont pay full price for it however.
    Guildwars, Arenanet.  The online version of Diablo by the same dude. You can solo it or play it with other people but you must be online to play.
    Neverwinter nights 1 & 2, Bioware and Obsidian. The first game is a lot better but have crappier graphics and might not work on vista. The second one still gets expansions.

From my previous post:

Sacred: played it
    Sacred 2: didn't much care for it, just tried the demo
    Mass Effect: own it, to me not really an RPG
    Neverwinter Nights: played it
    Baldur's Gate: played it

I have a Guild Wars account, I just don't own the game nor have I played on my account since 2006. See my previous posts for other things you mentioned.

--
    Michael

The only cut version was the German version. I have both the U.S. and U.K. versions, both the same uncut.

And how is KotOR a turn-based rpg? Because I'm actually replaying it right now, and there is nothing turn-based about it.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

You should.  Get started on Morrowind if you're looking for something to do.  Both Morrowind and Oblivion have their issues, but both are fantastic.

The only cut version was the German version. I have both the U.S. and U.K. versions, both the same uncut.

And how is KotOR a turn-based rpg? Because I'm actually replaying it right now, and there is nothing turn-based about it.

As soon as you leave the room in the ship, you come up on your first battle, you must choose which mob to attack using some menu choices, therefore it's turn-based.

If it was just go and fight them without having to choose then it wouldn't be turn-based.

--
    Michael

As soon as you leave the room in the ship, you come up on your first battle, you must choose which mob to attack using some menu choices, therefore it's turn-based.

If it was just go and fight them without having to choose then it wouldn't be turn-based.

So in other words, you have no clue what turn-based really means.

And here's an idea. Try turning the "pause" feature off.

• MysticCabbagMysticCabbag Member Posts: 24

Arx Fatalis

Its probably the most immersive CRPG ever made. I just recently replayed it and loved it just as much as I did 8 years ago. The graphics still look great too.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

So in other words, you have no clue what turn-based really means.
    And here's an idea. Try turning the "pause" feature off.

Seeing as how I've been playing video games far longer than you've been alive, I've got more idea what turn-based is than you do!

--
    Michael

Originally posted by MysticCabbag
    Arx Fatalis
    Its probably the most immersive CRPG ever made. I just recently replayed it and loved it just as much as I did 8 years ago. The graphics still look great too.

I seen it in the stores years ago, never picked it up...and no chance of finding it retail anymore; so I'd have to get it other ways.

--
    Michael

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Definately the Witcher (great game though you do a little too much running back and forth in the same areas). Oblivion and Fallout 3 from Bethesda, these are awesome. Gothic 1, 2, & 3. I did not play the later ones though.

If you are looking for an Action RPG i still like Titan Quest and its expansion. I have been playing that again in anticipation of Diablo 3.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

KotOR is 100% a Turn base game.